SP Fantasy Perianor - Struggle for Althea *22/06/09 - BETA V0.5 RELEASED, new screens.

Which type of faction would be more interesting?

• Lindale/Corwyn - mostly infantry, with a lot of skirmishers

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • The Sultanate of Fazir - mostly cavalry, with some infantry

Votes: 22 36.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Astor

Knight at Arms
peribanner.png

This mod is an attempt to bring a fantasy world (or, at least, part of it) I created to life. This whole 'mod' really got started while I was looking around at the game files to see how viable it would be, given my rather limited knowledge and expertise when it comes to modding - so this is very much a learning experience - this may never even be released, depending on how things go with it, and of course if there's any interest in seeing it finished.

I can't promise any fancy features (at least, not until I understand more about them), so it's really just a basic fantasy mod for the time being.

BETA DOWNLOAD LINK

https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=1343

Features:

Six new Factions with new troops and characters
New Items, including ancient weapons
New Map
New Companions (eventually, at least)
Dueling will also be implemented
Formations and Morale

Background

The old Kingdom of Althea fell a century ago, plunging a once great land into darkness - fracturing the Kingdom into small, warring states, each one seeking to increase its power and territory. All except for the land of Perianor, which occupies the heartland of old Althea. Prince Isir, newly risen to the throne, seeks to unify the warring states under one banner, and restore some of the lost glory of Althea. His success, however, is not guaranteed...

Map - This is the current map, with Perianor itself (Perianor is the name not only of a faction, but the main landmass).
Peiranor_Final.jpg

Factions

Althea split into five Kingdoms which will be included -

Perianor
Esterhaven
Valdholm
Grandwood
Fazir
Corwyn - Corwyn will come at a later date, after the other factions are done.

Troop Trees

Perianor:
                                                                            Perianor Cavalry - - Perianor Guard Cavalry
                                                                        /
                                                    Perianor Levy - - Perianor Infantry - - Perianor Guard
                                                  /
Perianor Recuit - - Perianor Militia
                                                  \
                                                    Perianor Levy Archer - - Perianor Archer - - Perianor Guard Archer

Esterhaven:
                                                                              Esterhaven Squire - - Esterhaven Knight
                                                                            /
                                            Esterhaven Spearman - - Esterhaven Infantry - - Esterhaven Warden
                                          /
Esterman - - Esterhaven Levy
                                          \
                                            Esterhaven Yeoman - - Esterhaven Veteran Yeoman

Grandwood:
                                                    Grandwood Footman - - Grandwood Warrior - - Grandwood Veteran - - Grandwood Axeguard
                                                  /
Grandwood Clansman - - Grandwood Militia
                                                  \
                                                    Grandwood Huntsman - - Grandwood Archer - - Grandwood Ranger                                                               

Valdholm:

Valdholm Spearman - - Valdholm Infantry - - Valdholm Swordguard
                                                  /
Holmsman - - Valdholm Militia
                                                  \
                                                    Valdholm Peasant Crossbowman - - Valdholm Crossbowman - - Valdholm Heavy Crossbowman

Screenshots

Rulers of Perianor, Valdholm, Esterhaven, Grandwood & Fazir
Isir.jpg
Crucebel.jpg
Verikor.jpg
brishard.jpg
Fadl.jpg

Esterhaven Troops:
Esterhaven_Levy.jpg
Esterhaven_Spearman.jpg
Esterhaven_Yeoman-1.jpg
Esterhaven_Squire.jpg
Esterhaven_Knight-1.jpg

Perianorean Troops:
Perianor_Cavalry-2.jpg
Perianor_Infantry-1.jpg
Perianor_Guard_Archer.jpg
Grandwood Troops:
grandwood_infantry-1.jpg
grandwood_axeguard-1.jpg
grandwood_archer-1.jpg

grandwood_ranger.jpg

grandwood_militia.jpg

Valdholm Troops:
Valdholm_Militia-1.jpg
Valdholm_Peasant_Xbow-1.jpg
Valdholm_Infantry-2.jpg
Valdholm_Swordguard.jpg

Fazir Sultanate Troops:
Fazir_Archer.jpg
Fazir_Cavalry.jpg
Fazir_Lancer.jpg

Battle/In-game Screenshots

Signatures - should anyone want to use one.
perisig2.jpg
perisig1.jpg

Credits: - if i've left off or forgotten anyone please PM and let me know so I can rectify it.  :wink:

Some helmets by Luigi
OSP Helmets
OSP Armor compiled by maw, created by many others.
Maw's Shields
MartinF for the Dueling Kit
Mirathei, for his excellent Shield Bash and Formation scripts
Chel for his morale scripts
OSP Cloaks - Dain Ironfoot
RRraptor for some items from Roma Invicta
AlphaDelta for his OSP Viking Pack.
Some parts of Couched's OSP Knight pack.
Dariel, for his excellent OSP Indo-Persian Armour Pack.
Arch3r, for his excelent Bridge battles code.
Many textures/re-textures by myself.

I think that's everyone so far. I'll update it when and if I use more stuff (provided I have the relevant permissions, of course).

And don't bother pestering me for a release date - i'm learning as I progress, so it's not going to be fast.

Cheers, Astor.

Good luck there :grin: You could work with the arenas for more different battles and so on, havent seen any mod with them  :mad:

NaglFaar said:
Great map.

But I think you should include the dessert and the snowy wasteland. Why? It brings variation to the battle scenes.

It certainly would add some variation, and It would allow me to include the desert horseman faction that occupies that area. And the Norsemen who live in the snow. It's something for the future at the moment anyway - I'm going to focus on sorting out the factions first, then worry about the map.  :smile:

I've updated the OP with some images of Grandwood's troops, and am working on the others now.

Astor.

Justiciar said:
't all looks very spiffing. Best of luck to you!

Thank you.

NaglFaar said:
The fist two Grandwood Troops look just like nords. :cool:

Lovely

Must be the axes...  :razz:

Quite unintentional, I can assure you - they live in heavy woodlands, so being good with an axe or bow is vital.

I started piling everything into the module system - I have to admit it's not as challenging as i'd envisaged it. Of course, it means I'm practically having to start over again, but it's so much easier to effect changes than messing around with the files themselves.

If I might pimp my own work for a moment...

I've released a couple ruby scripts that go from text files to tuples which you might find useful (items, parties).  Find them in the Unofficial Tools part of the Forge boards.  Also, I stuck an artifacts item mod that I stuck in the python script exchange thread.  You don't necessarily need to do all the levelling stuff I did, but you can certainly use them for magical weapons.  In the future I'll be doing some of the setup automagically at compile time in Python but probably not for a while. 

And I'll pimp others' work as well:

I highly recommend the OSP swords that RR_Raptor did.  Not only are they look uber-awesome, but they're modelled after swords that actually exist and thus, have real stats.  Talak's Unique Armory has fun stuff, too. 

Looks good; good luck!  :mrgreen:

kt0 said:
If I might pimp my own work for a moment...

I've released a couple ruby scripts that go from text files to tuples which you might find useful (items, parties).  Find them in the Unofficial Tools part of the Forge boards.  Also, I stuck an artifacts item mod that I stuck in the python script exchange thread.  You don't necessarily need to do all the levelling stuff I did, but you can certainly use them for magical weapons.  In the future I'll be doing some of the setup automagically at compile time in Python but probably not for a while.

Pimp away! I'll have a look when most of the 'crunch' work is out of the way.

I highly recommend the OSP swords that RR_Raptor did.  Not only are they look uber-awesome, but they're modelled after swords that actually exist and thus, have real stats.  Talak's Unique Armory has fun stuff, too.

I've been looking at Raptor's swords, and there's a few that i'm planning on using somewhere - and the fact that there's two versions of each sword is great - I can distinguish the higher troop types by using fancier swords...

vadermath said:
Nice work, Astor. Can't wait to play this one...

Thank you.

I've updated the OP with new troop screens (including some redesigned ones for Grandwood), troop trees, and added some screens of some of the Faction Rulers in the game.

Astor.

Apologies for the double post, but i think is worth a post of it's own.

I'm retexturing some armours from the OSP pack to use as items for the kings of the land, and this is going to be the armour of the Count of Grandwood. It's not finished yet, but it's already looking great:

Count_Armour.jpg

It's based on some armour I saw in an online shop - i'll try and find a link to the original picture.

It sounds interesting, and as you said you wont focus on the map yet, and I assume the map isnt finished either. Anyway I would suggest adding rivers and mountains

Halcyon said:
It sounds interesting, and as you said you wont focus on the map yet, and I assume the map isnt finished either. Anyway I would suggest adding rivers and mountains

That's certainly my intention. Here's a (much later, lore-wise) map of the area and some basic geographical areas -

Asul_v6-1.jpg

I'll likely thin down the forests in Grandwood, as they are quite thick - but there will be a lot of trees in that area.

I'd be happy to help in any way if you need it. You name it: Coding, scene editing, models,  troop trees, map, texture, etc.

Of course, I have some boundaries. I cannot code anything involving computer language, triggers or overall any relation to the game. I only know how to place a stack of bricks on an elevationless green plain, so my scene editing skills may not be what you hoped for. The map editor pisses me off, and I will probably delete everything you've done out of spite. I can make 3d models, but I have thus far not figured out how to [legally] transfer the Rhino3d software from my tech classes. Oh, and the best I can do for art is draw a bunch of stick figures on MS paint.
But I CAN test it.
When I get free time from my busy schedule of watching the TV and eating hot pockets.

I'm quite bored at the moment, don't mind me. I love fantasy mods, so long as they stray from being solely conquest. Let's see how yours does.

that map is definitely an improvement, and i dont wish to sully your idea or concept of this land, it is yours and you do what you wish with it, nobody can change that. Yet I feel your land still lacks mountains and rivers, add a few lakes maybe? It is merely a suggestion and you do not have to take it, I only wish to help.

Wow this mod is looking great indeed o.o

Sorry i can't help you in coding/texturing/modelling/mapping...

I'm learning to moddel, but i'm taking my time >_<

Anyways, if you ever need me to test me, or could i help in any way i can, just let me know and i'll do my best :grin:

Kellorkleft said:
I'd be happy to help in any way if you need it. You name it: Coding, scene editing, models,  troop trees, map, texture, etc.

Of course, I have some boundaries. I cannot code anything involving computer language, triggers or overall any relation to the game. I only know how to place a stack of bricks on an elevationless green plain, so my scene editing skills may not be what you hoped for. The map editor pisses me off, and I will probably delete everything you've done out of spite. I can make 3d models, but I have thus far not figured out how to [legally] transfer the Rhino3d software from my tech classes. Oh, and the best I can do for art is draw a bunch of stick figures on MS paint.
But I CAN test it.
When I get free time from my busy schedule of watching the TV and eating hot pockets.

I'm quite bored at the moment, don't mind me. I love fantasy mods, so long as they stray from being solely conquest. Let's see how yours does.

Testing is a long way off for the moment - i've encountered no errors thus far, but that's not to say there aren't any...

Halcyon said:
that map is definitely an improvement, and i dont wish to sully your idea or concept of this land, it is yours and you do what you wish with it, nobody can change that. Yet I feel your land still lacks mountains and rivers, add a few lakes maybe? It is merely a suggestion and you do not have to take it, I only wish to help.

Don't worry, I'll be including lakes and stuff - that's just for the shape of Perianor (by that time, the other factions have merged with Perianor under one banner) more than anything.

WebSite said:
Wow this mod is looking great indeed o.o

Sorry i can't help you in coding/texturing/modelling/mapping...

I'm learning to moddel, but i'm taking my time >_<

Anyways, if you ever need me to test me, or could i help in any way i can, just let me know and i'll do my best :grin:

I'm hoping to do this entire mod solo - my aim here is to get a grasp of the module system and the rudiments of modeling - and it's all going very well so far.

Speaking of models - this will eventually be the base for most Grandwood helmets, ranging from the plain to ornate.
Helm_WIP1.jpg

I just need to sort out some errors i'm having UV mapping/Texturing it, and then I can throw it in game.  :smile:

I'm also thinking of dropping Corwyn as a faction, as it's difficult to come up with a distinctive feel for it, unlike the other four already present.

Astor.

What "themes" have you already got?

Based on the name alone I'd suggest something.. Welsh.. but you already seem to have a "sturdy mountain folk" in the form of Valdholm. Where were you going to put them on your map? Lindale?

Back
Top Bottom