WARBAND & M&B Pendorian Stories

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, I've finished a story set in the world of PoP, but I think it's too long and cumbersome to post here in its entirety, so I put it up on fanfiction (dot) net. To allow you to get a sense of whether it's something you're interested in reading, I've pasted in a chunk of it below. If you want to keep reading (or just start right in with the full version, for that matter), I've included the link to the full story at the end of the excerpt below.

ORIGINS OF THE PENDORIAN REBIRTH: REFLECTIONS ON THE RISE OF MEREDAIN MURCATTO, VOLUME I

By the hand of his holiness Henri Foucher, Bicop of Marleon, First Sage of the Imperial Library, and Keeper of the Seals

Chapter I: Origins of an Empress

It has become customary, in these later years, to consider the rise of Meredain Murcatto from mercenary to queen, and subsequently to empress, as the smooth working out of a preordained destiny, a brief adventure and a short, victorious war followed by an extended coronation. In fact, the three years of the crown unification wars were among the most uncertain and bloody in Pendorian history (which is a remarkable statement in itself, considering the blood-soaked origins of our empire). It is the purpose of the present work to examine more closely the actual events of the years 345-347 FFP, in an attempt to understand the remarkable events of that year, and the true role Meredain I played in the establishment of the Kingdom of Pendor and the beginnings of the Pendorian Empire. It is to this end that I, Henri Fouchier, set my pen to paper, at the fourth hour of the new day in the monastery of Eunomia Stabilitis, in the city of Marleon, on the 13th day of March, in the year 512 after the founding of Pendor.

Chapter II: Setting the Stage: Pendor in 345

When discussing Meredain I, we must first make a rather careful distinction between Meredain Murcatto, the historical leader, and the Divine First Empress, as revered by the Imperial Cult. I am a historian; I will confine myself to speaking of her role in the reunification of Pendor while living and walking among men as a physical person. I leave the metaphysics of her true identity and place in the pantheon to others. As a historical figure, Meredain Murcatto towers over the other notables of her age like the proverbial oak among pines. For such a pivotal character, however, we know surprisingly little about her origins and early life. We do not, for instance, know with certainty where she was born and raised, nor even the name of her father. We reason to believe that her father's name was Dain Murcatto, as she dedicated a monastery near Burglen to him. The similarity to her own name is interesting. Some scholars have speculated that it might contain a clue to her mother's name as well, as her name might well have been a combination of "Mere," "Mari" or" Meria" with her father's name, but this is merely conjecture based on a single, ambiguous line in Julia of Ethos's Historia Merediana. However, given the chronicler's long personal relationship with Meredain I, we should consider that if anyone was likely to know the origin of her name, it would have been Julia. Regardless, it is likely that no aspect of her origins will ever be fully understood, as she never encouraged inquiry on the subject during her reign and may even have actively discouraged it. This has led to rumors that she was protecting some unsavory secret, but it is far more likely that she simply preferred widespread speculation on a mysterious origin to certain knowledge of a mundane one that might have weakened her grip on the throne.

As interesting as such inquiry may be, this work is not intended to rehash the details of the personal history of Meredain, but rather to examine the role she played in the last three years of the crown wars (generally recognized as spanning the period 202-347 FFP). Thus, we begin our story in the year 345 FFP. Although later priests and historians have identified dozens of signs and symbols to herald the arrival of Meredain Murcatto to the shores of Pendor, contemporary writers (notably Madame Ursula of Ravenstern) made no such observations. It is likely that no one expected much out of the future besides continued war, chaos, and instability.

If you'd like to continue reading, you can find the rest at the following link.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7469600/1/The_Rise_of_a_Queen

Pravenstern said:
Great story Shadow-Seeker! What happened to Sir Boris, or did you leave him out for a purpose?

All characters who were left out were left out because they did not spawn in my successful game. But if you wish, I will add him in.

And I just realized I left out the mines of al-aziz... Ill fix it later.

spartan012 said:
“Qualis hen?” I asked, bewildered by that term.

“Gem, my friend,” Quigfen replied, smirking. “I’ll see you soon.”

HAHA! That's just hilarious!

:mrgreen: Can't believed you actually managed to sniff that out from a mountain of texts

Nah i just used Ctrl and F. :wink:

Just joking. I have too much time on my hands. Man, i really need to get a life. o.o

The Birth of a Hero

"Witch! Heretic!"

The women raised her hand as the stones came her way, none of them hurt her too bad physically, but each one felt like catapult rocks  bashing at her mind,destroying her self-esteem.

"We'll call the knights of the Dawn on you heretic!"

The women scurried along the street, hiding her face from the cursing villagers, in her hands was her baby, who was now sleeping, unaware of the hatred around him.

The women sneaked back into her 'house', on the edge of town. She had been kicked out of her father's household, and was forced to live in a shack by herself with her kid.

Ehlerdah.. the villagers paint it as such a quaint happy little village in Laria. The truth, they are hypocrites.

The sun went down, and the stars provided natural light.

The woman left home with her baby, going off into the Larian woods, when no-one was looking.

When she was a considerable length into the woods, a figure jumped emerged from one of the vales, in Clarion Call armor.

She ran over to him and they embraced, the women burst into sobbing, with tears of joy and of sorrow.

"Saturo, they won't stop, they are calling me a heretic because I won't tell them who his father is, they think that I made a deal with Erida Occisor and had a demon child, they are threatening to call the knights of the Dawn. They throw rocks at me in the streets, our child can't live in that world. Please tell me your house will let me come stay!"

Saturo shook his head,

"Ella, I am sorry, but my house doesn't look kindly on common blood, and my order needs me at Laria, my house would immediately disown him. But I have good news, I have a friend in Laria, his name is Rivalin, he can set up something for you and our son, just please wait a day for the money to come through. My house will turn their views when he talk to them, and if they don't, I'll make them, the money will come soon I assure it."

Ella fought back tears, and nodded

"Ok, but I have a question, what shall we name him?"

Saturo looked into Ella's eyes.

"When we reach Laria, and my house declares him as his own, we shall name him."

They embraced one more time, and then parted ways again.

A day later.....

Ella once more walked to the village market, it was morning, and the sun was shining.

She walked up to one of the stalls, with a cowl to cover her face.

The stall owner made an evil eye at Ella, and told her
"I don't do business with heretics."

He then spit in her face. Ella received similar treatment by the rest of them, and set on her way to return home food-less.

Outside of the village, a force of 30 Jatu came up, led by a heavily scarred warlord.

"Hand over all of your women and treasures, or we shall destroy you all."

The village elder got on his knees and pleaded with the Jatu.

"Please sir, we have nothing of value, we are simple farmers and peasants!"

The man smiled, and gave the order for an attack.

The carnage was devastating, the Jatu ripped through the villagers and buildings like a scythe through a field of wheat.
They laughed as the villagers screamed, and started to try and carry off the women.

Ella's only thought was of her child, she was running, when she got under the sight of a Jatu lancer.

"Scream *****! Let us see if your Gods will help you now!"

Ella got to her house and screamed out as the man was close behind.

"I got you N-"

The lancer  fell dead with an arrow in his throat.

Saturo emerged from the woods, with his bow out, and on his steed, ready to defend his love.

He went through the village, killing each and every one of the Jatu, except for the Warlord, who rode off. But at the end, the village was still aflame, and most of the populace lay dead.

The two lovers embraced, under a burning building.

"Thank you so much Saturo, thank Astraea for you, my life flashed before my eyes. I love you so m-"

As she said that, the burning building they were under collapsed, with a burning beam landing right on them.

The beam crushed them, with Saturo crawling away, and Ella lying dead under the beam.

"No, no no, this can't be happening. Ella! Ella! Talk to me, please!"

Saturo begged and pleaded, for his lost love to speak, but alas, her spirit had ascended.

Saturo's left leg was broken, and he was hobbling along to the shack where his son was.

All of a sudden, a man walked out of a building, wearing a tabard and holding an arming sword.

"Well well, look who we have here, I'm guessing your the one who stole Ella for me and so I take that you were that bastard's father.  Your the reason those knights came here arn't you! your wench complain to you about a few words said?"

he spit on the ground

"Fight me knight, prepare to meet what ever Demon God you heathens worship."

Saturo, drew his longsword, and balanced himself next to a building, when he was beset upon by this challenger. He could hardly parry this man's sloppy strikes, let alone make any strikes of his own.

Then, in a fit of anger, the man lunged forward and stabbed Saturo in the chest.

Saturo coughed up blood, but managed to pull out an arrow. He held the man close to him, by shifting his weight on him and wrapping his arm around him. Saturo slit the man's throat with the arrow head as he struggled to escape.

Saturo rolled off the man's body, and crawled towards the shack. he found a spear and used it as a cane to pull himself up and hobble over to the shack.

When he entered the shack, he fell onto the bed, and picked up his son.

Saturo felt himself slipping, and picked up a quill and parchment.

He scribbled a note,

"Dear whoever finds this note,

The baby near me, is my son, the son of Saturo of the Clarion Call.

He is of the noble house Vilaren.

Please take care of him."

Saturo then slipped into unconsciousness from his wounds, holding his son, and looked like a dead man.

Hours later

The knight company arrived, to a grotesque scene, the village had been burned to the ground, dead bodies strew the ground.

"Split up and search for survivors! Search the wreckage!"

The lead knight, an adventurer from Barclay, entered the shack, for he had heard some crying.

"Saturo? Is.. that you?"

The adventurer had once known Saturo, for Saturo was once a hero adventurer who traveled with him, but had left to join the Knights of the Clarion Call, he had just contacted him to help with his lover and child.

The knight read the note, and made the sign of Astraea.

He picked up the baby, and got him food from their stores.

"You shall keep the surname Vilaren, little one, but on my honor, I, Sir Rivalin Galvan, will take care of you. But first thing is first, your name shall be after my grandfather, Aranor."

The baby cooed. The poor child would never know his origins, his surrogate father would never tell him, but the baby was now set on a path that would change Pendor.

6 years later

"Father, why am I called Vilaren, but you and brother called Galvan? Am I not your blood?"

"Because that is your name Aranor, your name is from the village you were found at, it is a noble Pendorian name."

"Then I hope one day that I will be able to honor that name, and the Galvan name as well."

Rivalin laughed

"Aranor, you already have.."

Rivalin thought to himself,

"Saturo, old friend, if only you could see your son now, he is just like you, he has shown so much promise with the bow, not so much with a lance, perhaps a true adventurer on the inside. I wish I could visit him more, he has your hair, and your laugh."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE WANDERER
Saturo dug his way out of the shallow grave he was buried in, with his broken leg ailing him.

"Help!" he cried out.

The yell attracted some attention, several figures emerged from the forest. All hooded. They walked towards the knight.

"Don't pay attention to me, what happened to my son, he's in the shed."

One of the hooded men lowered their hood, revealing an elven face.

"I am Orthir, a noldor. Your son is no longer here, he was carried off by a knight, Sir Rivalin of Barclay. Rivalin burried you because he thought you were dead. Please, let us carry you somewhere safe, any enemy of the Jatu is a friend of the Noldor. Your valor impressed even our lord Ithilrandir, and we were sad when we saw you being buried."

Saturo looked into the elf's eyes.

"You watched us all die? You were there watching this village burn?"

The elf for a moment had a feeling of sadness in his face.

"Our lord didn't want us to intervene, he wanted the Jatu to be weakened first before we attacked."

The elves carried Saturo back to their camp, where they healed his leg, and gave him provisions.

"What are you going now?"
said Orthir, as he watched Saturo get on his horse.

"I'm going to kill every single Jatu I can find, for Ella."

"But what about your son?"

"I won't be able to face my son as Saturo Vilaren until I kill the warlord who got away."

"I, on behalf of all the noldor, wish you luck, no noldor arrow or blade shall harm you on your journey in the woods."

And so, Saturo Vilaren, father of Aranor, became a wandering adventurer once more.

Checkmate

“Checkmate.” The voice roared so loudly the chess board full of Sarleon and Ravenstern pieces shook and clattered noisily. King Ulric laughed at the figure in front of him. He really looks at the man for the first time, realizing he has never seen him without his hood on. A goatee grew around his mouth. His hair was dark brown, his figure slight, but muscular. Strangely his eyes seemed to look into your soul and know what you are planning. The more Ulric thought about it the more he was sure this man was a born tactician.
  Ulric now looked down at the chess board. With a start he realizes how close the game was. His King was almost cut off, a mere move away from a loss. He looks at the man again, and notices the figure is looking at him.
  “I can see you have played it for ages.” The man pointed out. “It has been awhile since I have had a game this interesting.” Ulric suddenly worries. Who was this figure that came in and requested a mere chess game?
  The chair scooted back abruptly, and the figure got up and walked toward the door. Ulric shouts over his shoulder at the man.
  “Who are you?”
  The figure looks over at the king in those same piercing eyes and pulls the hood up again. He smiles laughingly.
  “Shame you don’t even recognize me in this… pilgrims disguise. I am Rikolaris, the king of Pendor. You should work on your faces, Ulry.” Rikolaris turns and walks through the door leaving Ulric with a glazed look in his eyes. Almost as though with fear. 

Lethaldiran walks up briskly to Rikolaris and clasps him on the back, then wrinkles his nose at the smell of the pilgrim’s guise.
  “You should have washed it before going into the presence of the all mighty king.” The old friends look at each other before bursting out in laughter.
  “The old fool tripled his watches and patrols after he saw me. Hah! With half of Pendor to go you can’t take any risks, eh?”
  “Let’s get you out of those arse-smelling clothes. Would you prefer a wedding dress for the final battle?” They laugh again. Wiping tears from their eyes, they walk to the tent to get into their armor.

A horn sounds and two silhouetted figures walk into the middle of a vast field. Men stood in ranks on both side, shifting their armor and shuffling feet. Their attention drawn on the two figures, they wait anxiously.
  " Last chance, Rikolaris, you can give up this damned dream and live a quiet life as a stable mucker." Ulric taunts. His mouth is a grim frown, but his eyes show a grudging respect for the man before him.
  Riko shrugs and replies in the same tone "Same offer for you. Im sure the local brothel wenches would get a good laugh in bedding you." They smile slightly, and clasp hands. They then ride back to their men. Lethaldiran greets Rikolaris with a nod. They catch eyes, then head for their positions. Riko sighs by the tension of it all, and then starts whispering to himself. His commands relay as he speaks.
  "Ranger to Halbrieder." The Pendor Grey Archers fire at the Halbrieders, screams are heard as the shield-less men fall. Shieldmen run to cover the Halbrieders.
  "Kierguard to Halbrieders." The man-at-arms slam into the Huskarl shieldwall guarding the Halbrieders. Screams are heard on both sides as the men fall.
  "Rangers to Longbowmen." Arrows fall on both sides.
  "Knight to Footmen." Knights of the Griffon slam into the flanks of both sides. Riko sits and watches as men on both sides fall. His eyes search around for... something. He spots it. Ulric. Riko charges alone for the solitary figure and calls his men back.
  "I challenge single combat! King to King!" Rikolaris cries. Ulric walks rides forward.
  "Accepted." Both armies make a large circle. Some of the men patting the backs of the other army's. In a start, Rikolaris realizes that these men are brothers against brothers. He shouts loudly the finishing part.
  " The winner recieves the crown of Pendor. The loser is stripped of their titles and lands, and get exiled to the distant land of Calradia." a murmer rises through the crowd. "Honorable combat. Under the watchful eye of Shadow-Seeker, the god of honorable combat (You see what I did there, Shadow :wink: ).
  "Accepted."
  They seperate, and get grab their lances. He notices Ulric is using the banner of Sarleon and recieves a chill. He then remembers the laws of honorable combat and relaxes. As if by an invisible bell, they speed off toward each other. As they get closer and closer Riko suddenlt graps his shield harder and takes his feet out of the stirrups. The Banner hits. Riko flies off of his horse, but twists before impact and slides on his shield. 
  Ulric grumbles and dismounts. Squires run to each dueler and brings them a longsword. They charge and engage in melee combat. They follow the routine slash and block routine, but soon each gets more bold and daring. Rikolaris unexpectedly kicks Ulrics shield and stabs at his chest. The armor takes the blow, but it dents. Ulric suddenly is taken by battle fervor, and slashes and bangs on Riko's shield.
  Riko hides behind the shield until it splinters and breaks. He then holds up his blade to block an overhead blow, but forgets to tilt the sword. The entire blade snaps. Riko throws down the pommel, bewildered.
  "Catch, fool!" Lethaldiran shouts and throws his blade to Riko. The blade is balanced and strong. Noldor make. He goes on the offensive, slashing and stabbing. In a blink of an eye Ulric is kneeling on the grass, a blade to his chest.

"Checkmate."

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
The History of the Queen of Pendor

Preface:
The view from the top of the castle tower in Sarleon encompassed quiet land sleeping beyond the river lapping lazily at its banks, its waters cut by the odd leaping fish.  Further on, the moving dots of peasants working their verdant fields in peace bore testimony to the Kingdom’s stability.  Peace, a state once well nigh unthinkable in Pendor, now was the rule, disturbed only by an occasional Vanskerry raid, bandit group or an audacious, overly ambitious Lord.

“Your Majesty, its hard to believe that it has been more than twenty years now since we united Pendor, isn’t it?”

“Sir Roland, oops, sorry, Grand Master Roland.  I didn’t hear you approach.  I was just thinking the same thing.  We’ ve grown old, my friend.”

“Sir Timothy, Sir Rayne and I were discussing our impending old ages over a flagon last night.  It is high time, M’Lady, that you summoned the scribes and dictated an accurate history of our exploits, so that time does not distort our accomplishments once we’re gone.”

“It will anyway, you know.  Depending upon who is in power, what events transpire, and how future kings wish to aggrandize their own deeds, we’ll either be damned as ruthless conquerors or praised as saints who could do no wrong.  Victors, successors and their scribes write history, not those who did the deeds which made it.”

“Perhaps.  But we’ve a chance of preserving the truth of what we did, if only you’ll have it written.  Do you know, M’Lady Cygne, despite all the years we’ve known one another and all the tales we’ve told around our campfires, you never said what brought you to Pendor in the first place.  You must start our story there.”

“Very well, if you insist.  I’m not convinced future generations will give a damn about the ramblings of three knights in their dotages, a fusty physician, an elderly Lord and their old bat of a queen, but I’ll not do this alone.  All of you, every single one of my loyal Companions, shall tell our story with me.  Otherwise, I might steal all the glory and claim you merely accompanied me in my travels!”

“I’ll order wine, send the scribes to you and summon the others.  This will be thirsty work.  After you, M’Lady.”

Pendor United, as spoken in their own words to Chief Royal Scribe, Ulric and Royal Scribes, Thomas and Raymon by Queen Cygne and her Companions in Sarleon.

My earliest memories are of a tumbledown manor house in the outskirts of Barclay, staffed by my father’s doddering retainers.  Some fine silver goblets, rich tapestries and my father’s rusty armor on its stand contrasted sharply with the rough furnishings of our Hall.  We ate the same fare as our peasants: bread, cheese, game from my father’s hunting and strong ale brewed by Hal, his steward.  Old Mag, Hal’s wife, was forever harping at me to behave like a lady.  I never quite managed it.  She was the only mother I knew, as mine died bearing me.  I was a child of the outdoors, galloping across the fields, hunting with my father, learning bladework from Tomas, his elderly Captain of the Guard.  A grand title, that, for a kind old man with a rusty sword commanding ten peasants armed with bows and cudgels!  Once, when he’d had a bit of Hal’s ale, Tomas told me that he’d been my father’s squire, in the glory days when my father was a Knight of the Dragon, a Pendor Lord’s younger son who’d made a great name for himself in tournaments and battles.  I asked my father to tell me about those days, but he refused to speak of them, saying only that he saw no point in raising the ghosts of a past long dead and buried.

On my thirteenth birthday, my father sent me to Lady Alicia, wife to Sir John of Ferncliff to learn the ways of a court.  She was horrified when I appeared in trews and a boy’s shirt, unkempt hair in a rough braid, and immediately set to work.  As I’d never worn a dress before, I loathed my skirts and tripped constantly until she showed me how to walk in them.  I destested embroidery and my work was patterned more in my blood than with my clumsy stitches.  Then came the dreary sessions with her children’s tutor, learning to write my name, add some numbers and suffer through a few boring books on deportment.  I persevered, and then discovered an old book of knightly tales and legends, written in the bardic style.  “The High Kings” it was called.  It set my path.  I vowed then and there to become a knight like my father had been, to do bold deeds, conquer evil enemies and be famed for my chivalry, sung of by the bards.

When word came of my father’s sudden death, I was devastated.  Sir John broke the news to me that I could not inherit our fief, as only male heirs could succeed their fathers.  Mine had willed his estate to his friend, Sir John, who promised to hold it in trust for me, as dowry when I married, along with a small amount of gold left me by my father and his armor, which he said should go to my first son.  Marriage!  What the devil did I want with a husband?  I’d no intention of settling into a routine of embroidery, court intrigue and endless childbearing, married to some lordly lout who got drunk each night with his men, smelled of his stable and preferred hunting to conversing with me.

In short, I took my gold, donned my father’s armor, and ran away to take ship for Pendor.

“Hah, you’ve not changed noticeably over the years, wife!  Though I don’t get drunk every night, and rarely smell of the stables, you know.”

“You know I wasn’t describing you, my heart.  Best give Sir Rayne a thump on the back – he seems to have wine up his nose and he’s choking.”

“Your Majesty, the Physician Ansen is here at your summons, he says.”

“Please admit him at once and then you may go.  Ansen, how are you?  Did I pull you away from some ancient scroll, or were you lecturing your students?”

“The former, M’Lady, but in a good cause, if Sir Roland’s message is true. Please don’t let me interrupt your fascinating narrative.”

Our ship docked in Javiksholm without incident, though we’d had to outrun a Vanskerry longboat on the way.  I still remember my first step onto the wharf.  A voice in the back of my mind said, “The die has been cast.”  I needed sword and horse, so I walked into town to find the weapons maker’s stall.  Midway there, I was stopped in my tracks by yet another voice, a woman’s, proclaiming me a long awaited champion, whose duty it was to fight the evil overwhelming Pendor and unite the land.  Fat chance I’d succeed at that, I thought; assuming I was fool enough to try!

I’d enough gold for a Zweihander and a hunter, with money over; (my Barclay gold coins were worth thrice as much as the Pendor denars) so proceeded to the tavern to hire some men.  Pendor did not seem the sort of place to traipse about in unescorted.  I’d seen the Red-jacket thugs threatening a merchant in the market, demanding “protection money.”  If public goings-on of that sort were allowed, doubtless worse villains lurked in the countryside.  And that, of course, is when I first met you, my husband.  Why not carry on from there for a bit, while I have a sip of wine?

“I stood in the tavern, a feast for any maiden’s eyes, resplendent in my sapphire and gold armor.  In walked a girl in rusted armor, swaggering as if she owned the place.  She accosted me immediately.”

“Yes, and you behaved most churlishly to me, then demanded that I repurchase your horse for a vast sum of money, before you’d join my company.”

“Company!  What company?  All you commanded at that moment was that stubborn hunter of yours that kicked everyone who came near him.  How was I to know you might turn out to be a capable captain some day?  I wasn’t grumpy, I was sad at having to sell my warhorse, Dancer.”

Since I’d nowhere near enough coin to hire Sir Timothy, I turned to the other person standing in the tavern; a runaway rich boy named Ansen.

“I wasn’t rich at the time, M’Lady.  I had about ten denars to my name, a knife, and the clothes on my back.”

“At least I didn’t have to pay you a fortune!  And it was your idea that we recruit in the villages and train up our troops, as well as ourselves, in the training grounds.”

My remaining gold just covered a horse for Ansen, a cheap coat of mail and a sword, which initially was more a danger to him than to any enemy.  We bought a bit of bread and cheese and some smoked fish in the market, and set off for Sarleon, because I’d a notion of forming a mercenary cavalry company, and Ansen said the men of Sarleon were fine cavalry material.  En route, we were attacked by bandits, of course, and through sheer good luck overcame them.  Neither of us could use our swords skillfully, but we killed three and stunned five of them.  Their ransoms enabled me to hire the first of my troop, ten naïve peasant lads from Stagheart.  In Avendor, we met Donovan, do you remember how sadistic he was, Ansen?  Still, he knew his business as a trainer, and I was able to curb his inclination to flog the men whenever one of them sneezed.

“Hah, if one of them so much as coughed, he threatened to hang him, as I recall.”

“Enough, he was a brave man, for all his cruel ways, and you must admit he was a fine trainer.  Without what he taught you of bladework, you’d have been dead long ago, instead of spending your days sneezing over dusty scrolls and bullying your medical students.  You’ll recall I sacked him later at your insistence.”

“I learned considerably more of battle from Sir Rayne, ma’am, and in a far more pleasant manner.  I credit him with my battlefield skills, not that bastard Donovan.”

In any event, we soldiered on, honing our skills on the bandits that popped out from behind every bush, then began fighting the Mystmountain Raiders in Ravenstern.  I used every spare denar I could find to hire more men and equip them, as well as recruiting refugees and peasants we rescued.  Once we became a half-decent warband, we tackled the Vanskerry Raiders, and sold the loot we didn’t want for fine sums.  By then, Donovan had left us and Sigismund had joined; though I had to pay a village’s ransom to the inkeeper for his bar tab, before he’d join.

“M’lady, you’ve accused me of that for years!  The money was not just for drink; it was for food, a room and a bit of a gambling debt.  I was a bargain, at that, for all you complained of the cost.  My armor alone was worth what you paid the innkeep.”

“You were drunk as a lord, and a surly bastard to boot, and you know it.  I had to put your head under the pump before you could walk straight enough to join my men at the gate.”

“My advent began your successes, too, don’t forget.  It was at my urging that we first fought and whipped one of those Rogue Knight companies.  You used to avoid them.”

I concede that point to Lord Sigismund of Sinclair Keep.  That battle was a near thing, though, and I valued the men we lost to that fight above the loot we had of them and their ransom money.  Still, a few more battles, and I had a fair sum of money to spend, so I repurchased Sir Timothy’s horse for him and he joined the company.  By then, the Sarleon lads had matured into fine knights, and our cavalry was growing in fame.  We took on larger groups: Heretics, big bands of Vanskerry Raiders, hired more men and equipped them better.  Soon, “Cygne’s Company” were in great demand to escort caravans and Lord’s wives when they travelled.  Thank the gods, we no longer needed the pay for delivering wine or herding cattle from one market to another!  I’m proud that we never raided caravans or villages, poor as we were in the early days.  The villagers grew to trust us because we saved them from bandits and never took a denar for doing it.  I valued recruits above their paltry offerings, anyhow, and they were even poorer than we were. 

“Your reputation preceeded you, else I’d never have joined your company, however much gold you sent to my Order.”

“I remember your saying that, my Paladin.  And now you’re Grand Master of the Order of the Dawn in Pendor, so you were wise to join us when you did.  Remember Kaverra?  She stopped by last week, while she was here on business.  She has nine grandchildren now, and is the most prosperous merchant in Windholm.  She’s building yet another warehouse, she says, since her sons can take care of the increased business.”

“She found time to call me an idiot yet again while she was here, too.  I said it long ago and I say it now, she’s a peasant who never knew her place, for all she was a good soldier.”

“Still on your high horse after all these years, Sir Rayne?  Admit it, you were just put off by her nickname, and she took advantage of that.  She never threatened to wear your family jewels for earrings, as she told Kassim she’d do if he insulted her again.  That’s why he left us.  He threatened to beat her and cut out her tongue, so I told him he had to go.  On the subject of beatings, I seem to remember your threatening Sara the Fox with one.”

“She may be the most famous bard in Pendor, M’lady, but the only reason she’s not also the most famous tart in Pendor is due entirely to her age, not her inclinations.”

“Bah, she’s been respectably married for years now.  Where was I?”

“The day I joined you?”

“Right.  That huge band of Heretics would have had us all for sacrifice, had you not arrived when you did, Sir Roland.  I’d never seen anyone fight so skillfully or kill so many men so quickly.  When we spoke after the battle, I did think you a tad pompous, though.”

“Mea culpa, M’lady.  I was young and on a mission, and thought rather highly of myself, since I’d just been raised to the rank of Paladin.”

“You were a good man and an amazing fighter, so a bit of pomposity mattered not to me!  Did Sir Rayne join us before or just after our stint as mercenaries to King Ulric?”

“ I joined you just after that, M’lady.  You hired me with that large reward he gave you for bringing him the head of the Chief of the Red Brotherhood Guild in Sarleon.”

I well remember that fight.  I’m grateful we finally stamped them out.  The bandits, however deplorable they were, had some reason for their banditry.  The Red Brotherhood were nothing but hardened criminals and filthy slavers.  Speaking of slavers, I heard Ramun had died, at the grand old age of ninety-two.  He likely outlasted every slave he sent to the galleys and elsewhere, the old reprobate.  He never forgave me for outlawing slavery in Pendor, though he had more money than any king by the time I made him retire.  He outlived his usefulness to Pendor, since no one has strings of captured prisoners to sell him any more.  I still laugh when I remember all the times I sold Red Brotherhood guildsmen back to their own!  I always enjoyed the looks on their faces when I paraded the prisoners before them.

To be continued.

Read this, and almost started crying. God damn it. This is why I left PoP.

I forgot about this. It rather inspired me to write about my own character in the roleplay. Not much happening in the roleplay anyways.

The Story Begins ~ The Tales of Sir Kamos

Stepping out of the hall of his father the sun shone bright and strong. Every building in the humble village glistened bright with the final melting snows of winter. A truly glorious day for a place so far North as Shapeshte! Why with any luck it will stay dismal and grey skied for a time after this he thought. The villagers moved quickly among the buildings readying for the days work ahead. Cutting wood, hunting, tending the sheep and what farming could be managed in the cold hard earth.

But for Kamos the day was different. A day like this could only mean visitors from the highest frosty hells above. Mystmountain Tribesman.
This would be his second Spring to wield steel and fighting was common place in the village generally because it was the most fun to be had so there was little enough fear.

His father and brother stepped out from their humble hall, it was a noble home but practicality was life here so a fanciful home had no place. The local militia and house guards were already assembling outside the hall for a day of training and to be ready for raiders, a likely outcome.

His older brother, Gerald, spoke,
"With any luck you'll piss yourself this again year to brother." Followed by a raspy laugh, he was an ass but a good brother as could be had otherwise.
"I seem to recall your bottoms were a lovely shade or brown yourself" Kamos retorted with a lazy sideways glance
Their father, Torbald, rolled his eyes. A hard man, they learned to laugh from their mother.[/i] "Both your damn trousers were damp with mud, blood, **** and piss. By UllrVetr if I hear you continue that nonsense I'll give you to a sow to marry AFTER beating you bloody."
Torbald looked outwards
"FORM UP YOU LAZY SODS OR YOU'LL BE DUELING ME FOR A WARM UP!"
Kamos and Gerald choked back a laugh while the militia clambered into ranks. The Torbald could no doubt savagely beat any of the militia down but they always recalled their mother stories about his legendary poetry he wooed her with.

Sadly he took that restrained laughter as a challenge.

"So good of you boys to volunteer. Maybe you're vain attempts to hit me today will amuse me." Torbald spoke with a dark look in his eyes
Gerald and Kamos looked at each other in regret but there was no escape. They grabbed two blunted steel longswords off a nearby bench were the practice weapons were and formed up in front of their father wordlessly. Maybe it wouldn't hurt so bad if they shut up now.

No sooner had they taken places was Torbald on top of them with each blow shrieking into the next the clangor of steel ripe in the air. There was no time to coordinate with Gerald. Torvald swung left his blow sweeping across both brothers guard. He stepped forward quickly and Kamos missed his downward counter swing, he rolled into as his father brought down his own blade single handed where he had been standing. Gerald swung at Torbald but met the back end of Torbalds stoke, then his downward stoke, then his fist in the throat. Kamos had rebounded and drove forward taking massive strides with every swing. Swinging left, swinging right, using his free hand to divert a punch, using a downward swing that diverted to a left-right cross, Torbald leapt back. The momentum was gone. Torbald counter attacked, Kamos leaned back to dodge the swing only to have his leg kicked out. Gerald appeared from nowhere and stopped the final blow and moving forward managed a spin in which he backhanded Torbald, Torbald didn't budge an inch. Kamos rolled and popped up. Gerald blocked a side swing from the left but Torbald stepped on his foot and grabbed his sword arm locking him in place for the downstroke that hit his shoulder. Gerald was out.

Kamos charged in for a swift thrust which was parried and in a fluid motion the two spun around for swings... Kamos blocked his fathers swing while his free arm elbowed Torbald in the face with everything he had followed with a lesser backhand to the throat as it passed by. Torbald staggered. Kamos planted his foot behind Torbalds leg after the spin and elbowed his upper chest sending him to the ground. Torbald landed, rolled and immediately got to a knee in time to block a low swing but Kamos kicked his chest landing the same foot on the ground and pushed himself forward with a down stroke that hit his father.

Everyone stood gaping, Torbald rarely lost but this was the first time he had been beaten by his son.

Torbald lay there thinking and Kamos stood there processing everything that had happened but Gerald regained his composure first.

"I guess this mean I'm the one who gets the sow eh?"

Torbald laughed. Then Kamos, then Gerald and the laughter spread among the men, most couldn't even figure out why they were laughing but they were.
Then an arrow shrieked from the forest hitting Kamos in the shoulder bringing him down followed by a thunderous warcry...

Likely I'll go back over it later since I wrote this while tired and correct some things. Format it better to.

The chanting of the twelve Invokers filled the dark room.  The Head Invoker began crying out in the demon tongue while standing in the center of the dark room.  The five female sacrifices lay on stone slabs surrounding the Invokers.  The few lit candles fluttered and died as an ominous wind swept through the room.  The Head Invoker finished the incantation and stepped back from the center of the room.  The wind grew stronger, and the room's temperature plummeted.

The Invokers stepped back in fear, unsure of what exactly they had accomplished.  The room was dimly lit by a lantern in the corner, which suddenly flew through the air and smashed into the wall.  The now pitch dark room was suddenly illuminated by a bright flash of red light.  The Invokers were thrown backwards to the ground or onto the sacrificial tables.

The candles were re-lit, but with a deep red light, and the few Invokers who were still conscious realized there was a figure kneeling in the center of the room.

He had massive horns erupting from his head, and his skin was deep blood red.  His eyes glowed in the dim light, and a one of the Invokers noticed the massive axe that was strapped across his back.  His armor was unlike anything any of the Invokers had seen, a dark metal that looked far too thick and heavy for even the strongest Fierdsvain warrior to wear. 

The Head Invoker slowly stood up from the ground.

"My demonic lord, we have brought you here to..." The Head Invoker never finished his sentence.  In a swift move, the creature in the center of the room drew his axe and sliced the Invoker right down the middle.  Blood spurted from the horrible wound, and the Invoker crumpled to the ground, never to speak again.

The creature smiled a cruel grin of spiked teeth.  He reached out to the Invoker's minds, breaking their will and turning them into his own. 

The remaining twelve Invokers stood at attention to their dark lord.

The creature spoke with a voice that even the possessed Invokers could not help but shiver at. 

"I am Eyegrim the Devourer.  I have come for blood."

=========

Eh, it's a work in progress, but I just thought I'd post this. 

Instated and entitled in 320 by the Emperor of Barclay to raise a unit of soldiers from the Barclay province of Aysenmontana, he was happy to oblige and quickly gained a reputation fighting off the rare Vanskerry Raiding parties evading the stalwart Order of the Dawn in Barclay. He supported them during the ensuing bloody struggle against the Order of the Eventide and together they cleansed Eventide off Barclay.

Despite the dire need of armed forces in Aysenmontana he was refused to leave the heartlands of Barclay for his homelands by the Emperor, who feared the evergrowing influence of the Snake Cult in Bacchus. Growing ever wary of that sect, Heynrich of Papen saw plenty of action during that period and honed up his skills as adequate field and infantry commander, gaining outstanding knowledge in anti cavalry tactics and anti guerrilla warfare rooting out the heresy caused by the new serpent cult.

Heynrich was sent back to Aysenmontana in 330, when Azi Dzhaka finally reached Mettenheim. Unfortunately his force did not arrive in time to turn the tide and prevent the disaster which befell Wolfgang the Mercenary and had, as matters stood, to return to Barclay without seeing any action or achieving anything at all.

However, a successful surprise landing was undertaken a year later in 331 and Heynrich managed to land in force and join arms with Mauritz in the decisive battle of Ijzerstat, the capital city of the island. Despite the overwhelming victory and the decisive help provided by Obrist of Papen which turned the battle, the common atmosphere shifted more and more towards an independent state which was finally founded in 332 by Mauritz, now called of Mettenheim.

Since Obrist Heynrich of Papen refused to pick up arms against his kinsmen he and his army were outlawed and the leaders declared traitors of Barclay with a considerable price set on their heads. On the other hand he was blamed by his people for the late arrival and the year of terror the Snake Cult inflicted over Mettenheim. The political pressue and public opinion finally forced him to turn his back and leave his ancestral homelands. It wasn´t a surprise that most of his loyal veterans followed their Obrists lead and manned the ships now flying an unwelcome banner to find employment somewhere else, for Heynrich was well loved by his troopers.

Unfortunate winds now blew his army to the shores of Pendor, a continent divided, plagueridden and in turmoil. A continent of wonders, wealth and opportunity, if only an adapt leader would carve his place into the fetid soil...

One, Two, Three

First among all daughters goeth to the Divine,
Then cometh the mortal Queen, who is the twine,
Between the Ladies, great and fine,
And all those left who bend the knee
Or perish at the word of yonder be,
Their destiny.

Veccavian rhyme taught to children​

Verante Kruus

Verante was born under the scorching sun in the deep badlands of Veccavia, the country of hard women and their male thralls, as third daughter to a minor local lady.

As per Veccavian custom, where the first daughter is given to the gods and the second to the queen, she was expected to be given to administration to succeed her lady mother as ruler and inherit her land, title and responsibility.
She accepted her fate and grew – despite her wary and warlike temper – into a rare beauty, even for Veccavian standards, which teems with beautiful women driving men mad for lust and love, and was prepared and educated for her destiny.

However, due to a queer coincidence the Queen of Veccavia, proud Boadice spotted her on a brief visit and broke with tradition and custom – picking Verante  to become one of her handmaidens, a Kruus,  a position of both honor and exaltation.
Verante immediately began her training for the rank of Kruus – Sword and Lance, Axe and Bow, Shield and Mace, Horse and Spear, Hunt and Swim, Sing and Mend, Serve and Order, Fight and Lose – she mastered all the arts required during long years of hardship and training gathering the strength, stamina and wits required to become one of the foremost members of Veccavia.
During that training period she became friends and lovers with the queens sister, Eleanor.
Both of them played a major part in the successful upraising, now called the Rattle of the Snakes, when Boadice was overthrown and her throne occupied by her eldest sister.

All that was years ago but only recently word has reached Veccavia that Boadice is trying to assemble an army to retake the throne and has sealed a pact with some unknown upstart mercenary captain. Ever wary, the Queen has sent Verante Kruus off to Pendor to finally seize and capture Boadice whose life shall be forfeit is Verante Kruus may lay her hands upon her....

Innocence Lost

“There are tales shared at midnight dark
Of lost youth and bleeding moons
Of fallen angels and demonic boons,
And forgotten treasures of the dead Ark.

It is said when the moon bleeds red
That all the townspeople will be filled with dread,
Knights will shiver in their sleep,
Lords and ladies shall fear their own keep.

For when the moon cries tears of blood,
Beware the unholy flood,
Vengeance is hers,
The world’s death is what occurs.

For those with courage,
And steel of heart,
The battlefield awaits.
You will die as nature dictates

Innocence lost, of maidens long gone,
Our mistress will shall be done.”

Rounds of applause and cheer emanate from the Valonbray tavern. A group of Fierdsvain Armored Axemen drank from their mugs and boasted how they could hold off the flood with the legendary Fierdsvain Shieldwall. Several Vanskerry mercenaries said the unholy flood could not match a fleet of a Vanskerry raiding party, ships arrayed as far as the eye can see. A Knight of the Dawn began his classic speech of how Astraea will bless her Knights to combat this unholy threat, but no one paid him any attention as they all heard it before.

The skald bows, and begins reciting his next tale. The tavern grew silent, as the patrons were once again whisked away to a world of fantasy and legends.

At the bar, the cloaked traveler inquired about the tale. Benard the Horse, the Tavern Keeper of Valonbray, leaned on the counter as if preparing for a long explanation of his own.

“Ah, I suppose you only heard the popular version of her tale, that of a young maiden rising from her grave to extract vengeance on the world. However, that particular variant leaves out much of the backstory of who the maiden actually is.

It is the tale of Hazel, a beautiful daughter of the Darkwater family.  It is said she was innocent as the dark side of the moon, and she charmed everyone she came across. Once, a band of the Red Brotherhood raided a village she happened to be visiting, and upon seeing her and hearing her plea they left without a word. You would think they would try to capture and sell such a pretty lass too.
Her family has a strong Vanskerry bloodline, but her father was what he called himself a ‘businessman’. He sold priceless trinkets and desires; they even say he had connections with Ramun the Slave Trader down in Signal.

However, Hazel’s innocence would not last. Her father threw a magnificent feast in his hall, and many lords and ladies across the land were invited. A great ball was prepared, and Hazel, dressed in the most extravagant dress known to all of Pendor, danced amongst the crowd. There, she met a dashing young man who she took fond of, and he led her away from the festivities.

It happened by chance that one lord and his mistress witnessed the execution of Hazel Darkwater. She and her newfound friend were on the balcony, taking in the light of the full moon and the dark ocean sea. She was commentating on how she wished she could take in the sight forever. It was the last thing she ever saw.

The guest pulled out his sword and impaled Hazel, before removing it to detach the burden above her shoulders. Afterwards, he sheathed his bloody sword, and simply left.

Some time later, it was learned that the murderer happened to be a member of the Knights of Eventide, so maybe that fanatic over there,” Benard points to the Knight of the Dawn, “may actually have some backing on their crusade.

Of course, such a tale can never be true. The moon never bleeds, or even shows red for that matter. It is simply a fabrication, a story to entertain those who want to listen.”

The wanderer nods, pays his tab, and departs into the cold night. He stares up at the night sky, which happened to contain a full moon. Then, perhaps just for a moment, he could have sworn there was a tint of red…

First post here, just another storyteller to spin another tale of Pendor.

I apologize about the formatting. I keep forgetting the proper formatting of Microsoft Word is different when posted on the internet.

[size=12pt] I modified this to remove the story as I admit it was not what I had hoped by far and will post the story or a different version of it sometime in the future. Thanks to Lothario and everyone else for the wonderful advice and hope to make a better attempt later.

-Peace, from GuardianOfAll​

It's not even PoP.

It's high fantasy with Mr. Perfect times twenty. For one, the story has been used a million times over, a child progidy who saves the world.

Das Knecht said:
It's not even PoP.

It's high fantasy with Mr. Perfect times twenty. For one, the story has been used a million times over, a child progidy who saves the world.

*Sighs* That's the point. When creating stories they are meant to be done with an idea in mind and can be refined until it fits what it must but when you only crush something beneath your boot and dismiss it then one can never know what it COULD be. I wrote that on the spot with a 'child prodigy' in mind. Mr. Perfect is also correct but not true entirely either as it has not been developed further. What you did for example was read a sliver of something, dismiss it was nothing without even thinking on it. I would've happily accepted "You need more work on this." "Try a different story." I would've accepted anything except "That piece of writing sucks." That not only crushes my ideas but it doesn't even help me learn from an apparent butchery of all stories everywhere. I'd also like to prove that even if something is rehashed a MILLION times in subtle or major ways if it can carry its own weight it doesn't matter. One book is "Name of the Wind." I believe it is the second but the main character is a child prodigy turned fallen hero with a chance to redeem himself. Hell, ALL adventure or hero movies follow the same basic plot foundation and the ones that don't are difficult to point out. The Lord of the Rings? It has the same rhythm as Star Wars just as Star Wars has the same as Django. They are of different plot entirely but they all relate in the way the story progresses. So just take that and apply to heroes of many different kinds and I promise you will find similarities. Quantity does not dilute the experience so long as it has its own plot and characters or at least take a unique twist of it all. Going back, it's in the realm, or at least partially, of Pendor. The characters, events, etc. are Pendor but they are added upon to create a personal take on it. People have taken stories both new and old and given them new life within several communities. I'm deeply sorry if I offended or truly did butcher things but you never know unless you try and if it truly is that bad then either let someone agree with you and I'll remove it myself or an admin can. Give me something to work with or you're worse then I am because I at least want to add to the community but so far all you've done is act like a *Insert a creative word for jerk*. If you can read this and give me something then I'll take down the story and redo it until you don't yell like a spoiled brat that doesn't like something.

I'm defensive because people like you just get on my last nerve.

-Talk with me here, give me something! Peace

Back
Top Bottom