Nerfed cavalry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zosete

Regular
Hi there.

First, my congratulations on the effort and work you've put into this mod. It has some nice ideas on it.

Does anybody else feel that cavalry has been downsized/diminished/nerfed? I mean for the player itself.

Each time I try to charge against a single enemy i get sloshed. They either cripple my horse or damage me badly.
The obvious answer to my problems ("you suck, the game & cavalry don't") is only partial. I may not be the best of players, but it shouldn't be this lopsided. I've got a decent armor, level 11 stats, a warhorse and so on. Thankfully, there's eternal refill of arrows in this mod so I can nail a whole enemy army in the long distance, but there's no way I can try mounted combat.

I'm using a balanced sabre: yeah, a short reach for a mounted weapon, but I should be able to land at least one blow on a low-level scum infantry enemy alone on a plain. I'm no newbie in M&B, and had a lot of fun with the old bump&slash system , but right now I'm confined to bows and maybe polearms, or else foot combat.

Is this me? Is this Chronicles? Or is this a general tendency for Mount&Blade 1.xx?  I never found mounted combat so frustrating since the greek mods for 90xx.

Thanks in advance

On a side OT note: the shaky map pseudobug thing http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,49773.msg1357979.html#msg1357979 seems to go away on a fresh install. I had that problem at home, but after reinstalling the game at another PC -with similar or even inferior specs- it's working now! Even when you add extra resources, like the banner.brf and the sort.
Anyone can confirm on this, also?

Code:
[tt][tt]
[/tt][/tt]

umm well im doing mounted combat myself, sometimes killing well over 20 troops on my own.
the sabre has very very low reach so you realy have to know EXACLY when to attack or else you will kiss the floor.
if your into mounted combat i suggest 2h wepon with longest reach (sword of war: 130 reach) and as large shield as you can find, just to cover your back from arrows and other pests.

im about lv 15 now with over 500 killed on my own, i own a castle and pray to gods becouse its sorrounded by enemy's. im playing for Ferons, and im on 161% Difficulty with no saving without quiting and no cheats :smile:

i solo-ed 30 guardians myself on flat surface... but ya... the horses life and armor might have been reduced but i'm not affected becox i dun go for the bump in ur strategy but i do a drive by straight to the face... more fun that way for me.

A lot of the bugs you're running into are from our latest release. I know its annoying having mod devs reply with a "It will be fixed" with every bug, but Kardio has been working on balancing for around a month now.

He's completely redone the cavalry lines, so rest assured, you won't run into this issue again. Thanks for taking the time to make this post, and figuring out the shaking-map thing :smile:.

Hate to break it to you, but in general, horses have been nerfed in the latest edition (not yet released).  The charge, speed, health, and armor of warhorses and chargers was reduced SLIGHTLY, though still much higher then other horses.  This was done for numerous reasons which I will lay out briefly.

1. I have personally seen a band of 30 Illoriaon and Asaleth cavalry dismantle 90 opponents.  In some cases, it has occured while suffering few to no losses.

2. 2 factions have NO cavalry at all.  That is 40% of the armies in the game.  Both of these factions have medium to light armor while the cavalry factions have heavy armor.  In order to balance this, horse effectiveness had to be reduced.  The pure charge effect of horses was causing cavalry to kill dozens of people without getting scratched.

3. Horses with high health and heavy armor do not die easily.  As it is now, 95% of the horses can reach an archer before he or his horse is killed (which is why I want denser forests for the Planelords).  Once the archers are engaged, they are usually quickly killed by the horseman. 

4. The player should not be forced to fight while riding, which in native, is the best choice by far for combat.  As stated earlier, 2 of the nations have no cavalry, so if you want to roleplay your place in their army, you would go on foot with the rest of them.  I want to encourage both styles, rather then make horse the obvious choice.

That said, here is what makes this possible without ruining cavalry:

1. The cavalry that exist are still very strong.  The 2 cavalry themed nations have powerful weapons and high riding skill.  The Asaleth Knights can and will single hit kill (couch) any troop in the game.  They also are very quick to jab with their lances and can do high damage even when wading through.  The Illoriaons, while less likely to single hit kill any target, carry shields and use heavier horses then Asaleth.  They are the best riders in the game and use long reach bastard swords to decimate foes.  An Illoriaon Paladin is a vicious opponent, and both nations were so strong that I HAD to address cavalry or ruin any sort of balance.

2. The player will be able to achieve "artifact" type steeds in the future.  These steeds will be better then the native ones used by the kingdoms.  Should a player like to fight 100% from horseback, this would be a prize they should seek.  In addition, when wielding very high damage artifact weapons, you will be dropping enemies very quickly.

3. This is not native.  Not all nations fight like native.  I have tried extremely hard to give each nation a distinct feel.  I continue to balance DAILY right now.  I am very close to having this in a good place.  Please stand by.

Yes, I have nerfed horses after seeing their effectiveness and ability to shrug off hits with ease.  I apologize if this upsets some people, but if you try the mod when released, you will see it does not deter one bit from the game.  A hero would be unwise to not bring their nation's cavalry (headless horseman, knights, or paladin/crusaders) if given the chance to do so.  These are very strong units that help close the gap against enemy archer and throwing axe fire.

Zosete said:
Hi there.

First, my congratulations on the effort and work you've put into this mod. It has some nice ideas on it.

Does anybody else feel that cavalry has been downsized/diminished/nerfed? I mean for the player itself.

Each time I try to charge against a single enemy i get sloshed. They either cripple my horse or damage me badly.
The obvious answer to my problems ("you suck, the game & cavalry don't") is only partial. I may not be the best of players, but it shouldn't be this lopsided. I've got a decent armor, level 11 stats, a warhorse and so on. Thankfully, there's eternal refill of arrows in this mod so I can nail a whole enemy army in the long distance, but there's no way I can try mounted combat.

I'm using a balanced sabre: yeah, a short reach for a mounted weapon, but I should be able to land at least one blow on a low-level scum infantry enemy alone on a plain. I'm no newbie in M&B, and had a lot of fun with the old bump&slash system , but right now I'm confined to bows and maybe polearms, or else foot combat.

Is this me? Is this Chronicles? Or is this a general tendency for Mount&Blade 1.xx?  I never found mounted combat so frustrating since the greek mods for 90xx.

Thanks in advance

On a side OT note: the shaky map pseudobug thing http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,49773.msg1357979.html#msg1357979 seems to go away on a fresh install. I had that problem at home, but after reinstalling the game at another PC -with similar or even inferior specs- it's working now! Even when you add extra resources, like the banner.brf and the sort.
Anyone can confirm on this, also?

Code:
[tt][tt]
[/tt][/tt]
well how to say it, its just the sabre..
i mean, 40 illaraon paladins vs 290 enemys on foot and i win with 2-5 causilties..
just get a longer weapon..

to use a sabre on a mount and survive you realy have to be a pro, meaning you have to know exacly when to strike , where to strike etc. but i guess that kinda stuff would take months if not years of play lol

Wow. Thanks a lot for the feedback and the detailed explanation. Sorry I didn't answered before, but eventually I got so frustrated that went to explore another mods. Guess I wasn't made for specialized characters (if you ever tried the EG by Chel you know about that) and i can't make it without ranged mounted fare.

I'm pretty sure the bad weapon choice was a big factor, but as the dev said, this is M&B for real. I mean, a peasant maiming your horse in a one timer? Too pro for me :smile:

On another side note, has anybody implemented Ron Losey RCM -or some letters like that- in his mod? I'm not trying to clutter the forums with another mod related discussions. Rathe than thatr, I think M&B community is one of the most open and experiment prone. Do you recall Ron's work? Deadliest weapons, fastest horses. I recall classic mods -even vanilla, maybe- developing special versions for RCM. I do miss that crazy turbocharged rides when one lost arrow could smash anyone.

QuailLover said:
OnR worked hand and in hand with RCM.

That's where I discovered RCM, but Onin no Ran was bug-ridden. However, Ron's system aplied to other mods could be obnoxiously awesome.

Back
Top Bottom