Upvote/Downvote System

Users who are viewing this thread

I think a  system like this would be cool to add to the forums. When your comment or topic gets upvoted, you get +1 reputation, and -1 for downvotes. Reputation is displayed under the user's name, near the faction and that stuff. If you have positive reputation, the symbol is a green plus, and if you have negative, the symbol is a red minus.

PoochieMoo said:
I think a  system like this would be cool to add to the forums. When your comment or topic gets upvoted, you get +1 reputation, and -1 for downvotes. Reputation is displayed under the user's name, near the faction and that stuff. If you have positive reputation, the symbol is a green plus, and if you have negative, the symbol is a red minus.
No.

If you need a rating system to inform your opinion on whether a post is good or bad then you shouldn't be using an internet forum.

If I post "Hitler was a great ruler, Nazism is underrated, superhero films are an exciting innovative trend for pop culture" then what do 5,000 downvotes contribute to my idiotic post? Shouldn't it speak for itself, and if it doesn't, you should make a post to explain why. Worse still, what if somebody posts something insightful, but a bunch of insecure manchildren don't want to hear it so they downvote it to hell, so that later viewers of the thread get influenced on what to think?

self.jerk.r/mountandblade.self Warband is a bad game with a good idea at its core. Taleworlds should not be praised for mediocrity just because they have no real competition. (-13:cool:

BUTTER!!!! (+345,281)

Post voting erodes the whole point of a forum because it allows lurkers to contribute their opinions without exposing them to scrutiny. It exploits human herd mentality by quantifying in very obvious numerical terms which opinions are "correct" and which are "incorrect". And worst of all it encourages vapid, safe posts because nobody wants the feeling of getting downvoted. Look at the acrid fecal toilet fire which is Reddit, and how every subreddit might as well be a single person posting 50 posts a day.

Ratings for topics is something we are exploring for a stack-overflowesque Q&A section. The viability, however, is uncertain.

Kentucky James said:
If I post "Hitler was a great ruler, Nazism is underrated, superhero films are an exciting innovative trend for pop culture" then what do 5,000 downvotes contribute to my idiotic post? Shouldn't it speak for itself, and if it doesn't, you should make a post to explain why. Worse still, what if somebody posts something insightful, but a bunch of insecure manchildren don't want to hear it so they downvote it to hell, so that later viewers of the thread get influenced on what to think?
This. Voting is a lame-ass way to conduct an argument. If somebody posts something and it gets downvoted to hell, all that says is that the majority of people didn't like what he had to say. It does nothing to refute his argument; it's just a measure of popularity. The guy may have made some good points, but if the majority of people who read his post didn't like it (or him), they'll have downvoted it, and if someone new comes along and only sees the downvotes, they may miss the merits of the post.

Now, I do use the upvote/downvote feature on Reddit quite a bit, so I do think it's an okay feature in some situations. But then again most of what I'm upvoting on Reddit are pictures of nude women. :lol: Here on TW, though, where so many arguments and debates take place, I think people are better off spelling out why they do or don't agree with someone. A reply can be argued with, its points supported or refuted by the other posters. A click on an up/down arrow can't, so it contributes nothing to the discussion. Also, I'd worry that a downvote system would be abused, as a way for a group of people to pick on someone they didn't like (especially someone they viewed as an outsider) by downvoting pretty much everything he said.

If somebody posts something and it gets downvoted to hell, all that says is that the majority of people didn't like what he had to say. It does nothing to refute his argument; it's just a measure of popularity.

Initinally I agreed with you, but after some thinking im starting to lean more in favor of a Downvote Upvote System.

If we are arguing about facts and logic, then yes I agree we don't need a measure of Upvotes and Downvotes, as no amount of downvotes will change the fact that 1+1=2.

However, it is no secret that this forum was made as a place to share ideas on how to improve Armagan's video games, (and techinical support too).

In other words, we are sharing opinions, not facts.

And look at this through the view of a Taleworlds Game Developer. Lets say you are browsing the Bannerlord forums looking to add in a new feature or ideas in the game to appease the fans and make your game better. Instead of reading through pages and pages of arguments and moderator warnings to determine if a controversial feature should be implemented, they can simply refer to the score on the post to see if the majority of the users actually want a feature implemented. Upvotes? Great, add it in. Downvote? Lets skip and instead look for more important features to add in the game, only the monority of users are dissappointed.

This way the majority of consumers for your game is pleased, and you do not need to spend a day reading threads and discussing with your coworkers and Armagan to implent a feature that can potentially hurt sales. Especially in a buisness where you work to make dreams come true for as much people as you can, you need to reach the majority of people. And the majority of the people do not go on forums to write long posts explaining why they think a feature is good or bad and argue all day and that is fine.

Overall I think this can be a great timesaver if we consider what the forums was originally created for, to discuss and decide game features.

As for the bullying and targeted downvotes, Reddit has systems in place to prevent trolls and bots from targeting a person and has banned people for using multiple accounts, prominent example is that one scientist guy u/Unidan.

I imagine if we apply simple security measures such as CAPTCHA, IP logging and banning duplicate accounts, machine logging and banning, and moderators who keep an eye on the forums, then trolls will not be an issue.

Rainbow Dash said:
And look at this through the view of a Taleworlds Game Developer. Lets say you are browsing the Bannerlord forums looking to add in a new feature

That's how disorganised modders like me operate, not an entire company. If anyone uses the most popularly requested features to design their game, it's destined to be garbage.

Kentucky James said:
That's how disorganised modders like me operate, not an entire company. If anyone uses the most popularly requested features to design their game, it's destined to be garbage.
Well, given that their most requested "feature" at this point is probably a release of Bannerlord, then they must be doing great. :razz:

A "like" system (rather than up- and downvote) is integrated in Xenforo. While it may possible to disable it, I would wager there is at least some interest for it given the additional data it provides. (Not just in regards to "features to implement", but notable posts and user behavior/interests in general.)

Kentucky James said:
If you need a rating system to inform your opinion on whether a post is good or bad then you shouldn't be using an internet forum.

self.jerk.r/mountandblade.self Warband is a bad game with a good idea at its core. Taleworlds should not be praised for mediocrity just because they have no real competition. (-13:cool:

BUTTER!!!! (+345,281)

Post voting erodes the whole point of a forum because it allows lurkers to contribute their opinions without exposing them to scrutiny. It exploits human herd mentality by quantifying in very obvious numerical terms which opinions are "correct" and which are "incorrect". And worst of all it encourages vapid, safe posts because nobody wants the feeling of getting downvoted. Look at the acrid fecal toilet fire which is Reddit, and how every subreddit might as well be a single person posting 50 posts a day.

I didn't even realize how true this is until I started browsing Reddit a little bit more recently. Please don't implement this on the forum. If there's a huge demand for e-peen boosters maybe just implement user karma users give on user profiles.

Kentucky James said:
Duh said:
I would wager there is at least some interest for it given the additional data it provides. (Not just in regards to "features to implement", but notable posts and user behavior/interests in general.)

Careful there, Mark Duhckerberg.
We will foil your 2020 re-election bid yet, Kentucky J . Hinds.

Back
Top Bottom