Opinion about developer blogs

What do you think about developer blogs?

• All blogs are cool

Votes: 30 20.1%
  • All blogs do not like

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • There are interesting blogs but they are very few

Votes: 54 36.2%
  • Basically not bad, but the last not interesting

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 50/50 need more information and media content

Votes: 46 30.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The only blogs I remember are the ones where the mountandblade subreddit made stupid memes out of. I'm not sure as to whether this is because the vast majority of the blogs are uninteresting to a staggering degree, or I simply don't care about the game anymore.

Yeah exactly. Are these dev blogs written for reddit and memes alone? We all know what kind of weapons are gonna be in the game. Tell us about the meaning of encumbrance and gear weight, will it slow us down? How about kicks and shield bashes, are they gonna persist in mb2? Blocks and parrying, is a light dagger going to completely outclass a 2h weapon wielder, and are blocks and parries apply any stuns/penalties so that slower weapons will have any chance of retaliation on a light soldier/tief? In For Honor for example if you parry a heavy attack ( in our case a swing attack ) enemy is stunned and you have a guaranteed light attack on him if you retaliate quick enough ( here it would be a thrust or a kick ), and then you can also parry a light attack that would allow you to score a guaranteed heavy attack on the stunned enemy ( here it would be a swing attack or a shield bash).

What about a movement, commands/er, leader dev blog where they talk about new commands and options you can control your army with. There should definitely an option to order your barbarians barrage the enemy with handful of axes ( 1 group throw - 1 command).

The blogs are a good idea to keep communication up but the lack of schedule, release plan, or even close release date removes any hype from the blogs. We got teasers and little bits of info of the game years ago. Who knows if they're still relevant? Likewise with this, until we have a release period.

I think the recent blogs callum has been releasing are significantly more frequent and regular, which is good.
But some, such as the last two recent ones, provide essentially no detailed information. Not even specific weapons or equipment in those, but mostly just large categories.
I think some actual in-game examples should be provided to really flesh out the effectivity and utility of those weapons.

For the most part I have really enjoyed the blogs, especially about the factions and how different developers are working towards the end goal of producing a fantastic game. However, I can admit that the last couple of blogs have been particularly bland and not very satisfying. Regardless, I am always excited for what the next week brings!

I think the blogs are fine as they are, I'm sure people want to know every single detail about the game and don't want to read about 'stuff they already know' and therefore complain about every blog that doesn't tell something 'new'. The way people complain about blogs at times is frustrating though, don't think i could have put up with it and I do find myself wondering sometimes, when i read comments on blogs, if the next blog is going to say there are not going to be more blogs in the future. I'm sure everyone feels fully entitled about their rights to know every single detail about the game as soon as the devs know it, but 'we' are not. I think Callum does a great job and the blogs are nicely balanced in terms subjects across the board. Ow, and they are usually written in a nice style, they don't read like an encyclopedia and that is a good thing :smile: Keep it up Callum, I enjoy reading your blogs.

And uhm, what is the point of the exploration part/experience of the game if you know every single detail about it beforehand.

Ristridin said:
I find posts like the above to be extremely frustrating to comprehend because they almost completely ignore the legitimate criticisms against the dev blogs and focus almost entirely on being supportive about the blogs for all the reasons except for the sole reason that they supposedly exist: Telling us about the game. I'm fairly sure there wasn't even the slightest bit of an attempt to argue in good faith but i'll try my best.

The previous dev blogs have told us nothing new. And barring that they might be well written or well structured the actual information in the blogs - which is their exact purpose - is completely devoid of anything that tells me what the game is going to be like. Plainly put, I don't ****ing care how well they read as long as it's bearable, I care about what they can tell me. I'm not irritated with the blogs solely because of how little new information is in there, because i'm also irritated that they're so god damn vague about **** that's already in Warband that it seems like they have somehow stagnated if not regressed from what we had in Warband. 5+ years of development, and they can't tell us more than "These weapons are in the game".

That's what irritates me. And if that's what we call entitled now then i'd wager just about everyone on the planet is entitled. Though to answer - and here's where I stop arguing in good faith - I will like a game on its own merits rather than how new it is to me, and frankly if you don't understand why someone would play something they know a lot about then I honestly don't know how to respond other than "**** off".

I liked the faction blogs. But apart from that there is very little information on what's new and the blogs could use a little more media to tease us.

The last couple of blogs made it seem that there is basically very little new to Bannerlord. What I took from the last two blogs was not what we have in Bannerlord, but what we don't have: slings and a more precise damage model.

I'm not expecting the armor to be modeled perfectly damagewise but for example having an open faced helmet not protect the front of the head from stabs or missiles would have been good progress and made for some interesting information. Slings and physics based weapons like morningstars would have been great too, as the physics engine now allows them to look right.

I think this makes bad advertisement to the people who have already played Mount&Blade and Warband and then feel like Bannerlord is just another reskin, which is what I feel like when I read these. But I think thats quite unfair to the game because there is actually some important stuff we got new: Facial animations, seasons, siege engines, destructable objects, upgradeable settlements, craftable weapons, killable lords and (hopefully) better AI.

I think they should focus more on the stuff that will be different from Mount&Blade / Warband then just giving generic information because the people who played Warband will be the major playerbase for Bannerlord.

They might be holding back on the best for when the game is nearing release so they can generate more attention and hype from the press and fans. It's not really in their interest to show all their cards when the game might still be a long way away from release.

Naturally, there's also the possibility that there is little else in the game than what they've shown so far, but that seems unlikely considering how many things hinted at in the videos and screenshots they haven't talked about so far.

Dev blog posts have become half-assed. There is literally 0 logical reason to split the weapons blogs into 2 separate parts, and have 1/5 of each of those information pieces literally be jokes or memes. There was only two pieces of information in the most recent two blogs that some people (and by some people I'm referring to anyone who has spent more than 10 hours in Warband) didn't know:

That you can craft some throwing weapons
and
That some polearms can't be "holstered", for lack of a better word.

There's obviously another complete failure of understanding of development time at the TaleWorlds office. That they can transition from interesting or (bare minimum)informative dev blogs to this utter ****e in the space of a couple of weeks seems to signal that they've hit another development roadblock and have had to macerate their list of potential future dev blogs into the barest scraps of information since they've been set back another extraordinary amount of time to deal with another nonexistent problem.

I don't know whose asinine idea it was idea was it to have two weeks of dev blogs to reveal one extremely limited sentence of information, but this **** needs to stop.

I believe the blogs are generally fine and serve their purpose. The last two, however, were vague and useless, describing few broad categories of weaponry that everyone expected to see in a medieval game, independently of whether they were familiar with the series or not. Essentially, fillers that we've been looking forward to both weeks. Surely there's room for improvement.

I think the weekly blogs are fine, it would be very difficult to produce a weekly blog with decent content for a whole year, you just won't get 52 decent blogs, so I expect some weeks the blogs will be a little drab.

Compared to what we had previously, this is a massive improvement over the last community manager. I'm happy with weekly updates, it shows continued development.

The big update, is if we are getting an E3 presentation?

Stan546 said:
I think the weekly blogs are fine, it would be very difficult to produce a weekly blog with decent content for a whole year, you just won't get 52 decent blogs, so I expect some weeks the blogs will be a little drab.

Compared to what we had previously, this is a massive improvement over the last community manager. I'm happy with weekly updates, it shows continued development.

I agree. Looking at all 37 Callum blogs as a whole, the amount of content provided is quite large (see link below). It's just when some look at it from a week-to-week perspective that it starts to looks skimpy. Imagine someone rediscovering Bannerlord after several years away - these blogs would plenty satisfy the need for info.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,364140.0.html

I'm doubting whether Taleworlds will attend E3. Taleworlds isn't on the official list of attendees and last year they mentioned that they didn't even really want to be there, they'd rather be back home working on the game. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attend but still released videos or a play-through instead.

BayBear said:
Stan546 said:

I agree. Looking at all 37 Callum blogs as a whole, the amount of content provided is quite large (see link below). It's just when some look at it from a week-to-week perspective that it starts to looks skimpy. Imagine someone rediscovering Bannerlord after several years away - these blogs would plenty satisfy the need for info.

I'm doubting whether Taleworlds will attend E3. Taleworlds isn't on the official list of attendees and last year they mentioned that they didn't even really want to be there, they'd rather be back home working on the game. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attend but still released videos or a play-through instead.
Dont get your hope high they wont release it this summer.

I just hope Callum and the Taleworlds team are thick-skinned enough to ignore all this bull**** whinging and continue the way they have been.

The weekly devblogs are a really nice way for the developers to keep in touch with the fanbase, and I for one very much enjoy reading the little tidbits. I don't think people should expect them to be anything more than that, and I really don't expect any big reveals about the important gameplay elements at all until the release date has been announced.

We all want to get our hands on Bannerlord and play it for oursleves. But increasing the amount of information in each devblog is not going to make the actual game come out any sooner - there is no relationship at all between how much they tell us now and how much there is to tell overall. By the time it is released, I think we can be pretty sure that they will have given a lot of detail about the gameplay, mechanics, and lore. And it makes far more sense for the most substantial information about that to be put out into the public domain only after they have announced the release date and are building hype and anticipation for the purpose of selling the game.

BayBear said:
Stan546 said:

We are starved for actual game footage. It's been several months. I really hope something substantial comes before or around the time of E3.

Back
Top Bottom