The Most Dangerous Game II - All Manor of Secrets (Day 8) - 5 ALIVE

Users who are viewing this thread

The Most Dangerous Game II – All Manor of Secrets

eiJop.png

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Catterick Manor. I am Jeeves, the Cattericks’ butler, and it is my solemn responsibility to assist you in your investigations.

Twenty years ago to this day, the lord of the manor, Baron Catterick, was murdered most cruelly, and with no eyewitnesses to the act. Since then, the Baron’s ghost has been trapped here, haunted by the level of violence visited upon him. I have been authorised by Baroness Catterick to offer a £1,000,000,000 reward to the persons responsible for putting the Baron’s ghost to rest. The last three persons left standing once the mystery has been solved will take a share of this reward.

I must warn you: frivolous guessing will result in your being expelled from the manor—permanently. It is not enough to guess at who may have killed the Baron; you must discover not only the identity of the killer, but also establish the motive, and the location of the murder weapon, which was never recovered after the Baron’s body was discovered.

Now, being professionals, you will no doubt wish to hear about the circumstances surrounding the Baron’s death. Allow me to enlighten you.​

Baron Catterick had arranged a social gathering for some of his family and close friends. It was to be a fairly large gathering, with over fifty people invited, and the servants were to have their own revelries in the kitchen once the main function was underway. The party was to commence in the dining room, where hors d'oeuvres and fine wine would be available for sampling. Then, the guests would move to the ballroom, where they would waltz to sedate piano music.

The Baron was dressed and prepared for the party, and had retired to his study to handle some personal correspondence while waiting for the guests to arrive. An hour before the party was due to start, the Baroness went to check up on her husband and found him dead. Her screams brought other members of staff, including myself.

Of course, being a man of collected wit, I immediately set about preserving the crime scene. I noted the position of the body—collapsed over his writing desk, slumped in his chair. I also observed that the Baron only had injuries to his back, implying that he knew and trusted his killer, or that he did not know his killer was there.

The windows were locked from the inside, and none of the staff had seen anybody come or go from the study in the time leading up to the murder. The Baron’s injuries were consistent with a piercing or stabbing implement, though the murder weapon was never found. The Baron’s solid gold pocket watch, and his diamond cufflinks, were still on his body following his death, which I believe precludes theft—whether opportunistic or planned—as a motive for his murder.

I have taken the liberty of putting together a list of all persons present in the day leading up to the Baron’s murder. First, let’s start with the family:​

• Baron Catterick - the victim
• Baroness Catterick - his wife
• Thomas Catterick - their son

The family employed a number of permanent staff who lived here in the servants’ quarters. They are:

• Myself - I am, naturally, beyond reproach
• The Cleaning Maid, Molly
• The Cook, Jane
• The Groundskeeper, Robert
• The Houndmaster, Fergus
• The Chauffeur, Dhaval
• The Washer Woman, Anna
• The Nanny, Clarice

In addition, we also had a number of part-time staff, travelling salesmen, and notable guests, lodging with us temporarily, whilst we prepared for the party:

• The Collier
• The Chimney Sweep
• The Interior Designer, Mr. Marks
• The Faberge Egg Merchant
• The Wine Merchant
• Lord Byrom
• Lady Byrom
• Captain Black
• The Pianist, Mr. DeLacey

I have also provided you with a map of the general layout of the manor and grounds. You can view the map here:

_smf5.png

For now, the only areas accessible to you are the Entrance Hall, the Dining Room, the Decrepit Treehouse, and the Duck Pond. I must confess that I most embarrassingly misplaced my keys for the other rooms, whilst some areas are inaccessible for other reasons.

I will, of course, endeavor to assist your enquiries in any way that I can. If you have a question about a particular person, item, place or clue, you may ask me (ASK JEEVES) about something and I may be able to elaborate. For the sake of fairness, I will only elaborate on public questions. I won’t answer anything in private.

One last thing. I understand the billion pounds reward may bring out your competitive streak, however, I strongly recommend you attempt to put aside your murderous urges until at least the start of Day 2.

Best of luck to you all.​

• Entrance Hall •

You stand in the entrance hall to the manor, and it is immediately obvious that the Cattericks were once collectors of all manner of ancient trinkets. Several battered and rusty suits of armour line the moth-eaten runner carpet which leads to the hallway. Three portraits—a man, a woman and a young boy—adorn one wall, whilst Constable paintings hang from the wall opposite. There’s an alcove at the midpoint of the left wall, into which a bookshelf containing several books has been set. The crystal chandelier hanging from above is dusty, the light from it muted, as if it cannot entirely breach the shadows in the darkest corners of the room.​

In the middle of the hall stands Jeeves, patiently awaiting your queries.

• Dining Room •

The dining room’s fine polished table is bare and covered in fine scratches, and the legs have started to rot away. The twelve chairs around the table are unremarkable, though their upholstering has become faded and sun-bleached. The most prominent feature in this room is its stained glass windows depicting scenes of old hunts—foxes and hares seem to have been the preferred prey. Set into the chimney breast is a heavy wooden mantlepiece, on which are several curiosities including a stuffed robin and a set of tarnished silver snail-forks. There’s an ineffable air of sadness about this empty room.​

• Duck Pond •

The first thing that strikes you about this duck pond is the lack of ducks. Upon closer inspection, you spot several sinuous forms lurking beneath the surface of the water, but you can’t tell what kind of fish they are. The grounds around the pond are themselves marshy, the grass growing in mounds where the earth runs a little drier. A rickety wooden bridge juts out into the pond; its destination—a small island with a dilapidated hut on it—rendered out of reach thanks to the gap in the bridge at its mid-point. It’s hard to tell how deep the water is, and with unknown fish lurking down there, you’re not willing to risk wading out.​

• Decrepit Treehouse •

To call this a treehouse would be akin to calling Buckingham Palace ‘a bit posh’. In truth, it was a tree mansion, an undertaking of impressive carpentry fit for a Lord. Time and the elements have not been kind to the structure. Several of the ‘rooms’ have caved in, and wood is strewn across the ground beneath the tree. What’s left of the treehouse looks like it won’t be up there for very long. It’s clearly too unsafe to try and climb up, but there may be clues in the scattered debris.​

• The Kitchen •

This kitchen was once the heart of Catterick Manor; the place where meals were cooked for the family and their guests, and where the servants came to eat and gossip between their daily tasks. Now, the fires of the ovens stand cold, and the shelves are completely bare. A few hessian sacks—their faded words ‘Potato’ barely readable—have been gnawed to tatters by rodents, and the once-clean floor is strewn with the tiny, brittle bones of Warfarin victims. There’s a dumbwaiter set into the wall, but it doesn’t work; neither does the heavy ceramic sink with its rusted iron faucets. Wind howls down the chimney, and you imagine you can hear ghosts of the past crying out for justice… or vengeance.​

• The Library •

This library serves as a shrine to the written word; its priests are Homer and Shakespeare, Dickens and Keats. Thousands of books line the floor-to-ceiling shelves, and there are signs that this room once saw heavy use. Two chairs stand forlorn beside a table which houses a reading lamp that no longer works, and the mantlepiece is covered with tarnished silver photo frames, the pictures mostly of a cherubic blond-haired boy. A pair of reading spectacles lies crushed on the floor, and a now-dry teapot will never again serve the room’s readers. Most of the books are first-edition prints, and you can only imagine how much some of them are worth, even in their musty, moth-eaten state.​

• The Ballroom •

This grand room has seen generations of dancers sweep and twirl their way across the polished oak floor. A grand piano has pride of place at the head of the room, and a couple of small tables and chairs provide respite for tired feet. Of all the rooms you’ve seen so far, this one is the least touched by age. The drapes are long and barely touched by the moths that have plagued the other rooms, and the various statues on the mantlepiece have only a thin coating of dust upon them. There are relatively fresh logs in the fireplace, just waiting to be lit.

• The Kennels •

Despite the fact that the kennels haven’t been used in twenty years, this place still smells like wet dog. There are several pens used to contain the hunting hounds, and various pieces of hunting paraphernalia are scattered around, including a broken bugle and a falconry jess. A small room with a rickety, rat-eaten wooden bed frame is where the houndmaster once lived, sharing his sleeping space with the animals he cared for so well. A few bones litter the cold stone floor, but they appear to be rodent in nature, and much fresher than the other items in the area.

• The Withdrawing Room •

This type of room is generally used for small, intimate settings. In times long past, the women of the house would retire here after dinner, to allow the men to discuss in peace the important issues of the day. More recently, it seems this room has been used as a place for needlework as well as childplay; two or three rattles and teddybears are abandoned on the chaise-longue, whilst a large embroidery frame stands beside a chair, its image of cherry blossoms in an eternal state of half-finish. The knowledge that these cherry blossoms will never enter full bloom makes you feel sad.

• The Fishing Hut •

The first thing you notice as you step into this ramshackle fishing hut is how cold it feels in comparison to the air outside; as if all the warmth has been sucked from the structure. The second thing you notice is the skeleton, its bones bearing thousands of tiny bite-marks. The skeleton is slumped against the far wall of the hut, and there isn’t enough left of its clothing to tell by attire alone whether this was a man or a woman. Only one thing gives away the gender of this long-dead individual; there is a second, tiny skeleton curled up in what would have been the visceral cavity of its mother. Your skin turns to gooseflesh, and you put aside the desire to flee in terror, to instead search for clues of what really happened at Catterick Manor twenty years ago.

The game has now begun! You may Ask Jeeves questions or immediately begin with an Action (Move/Case/Use Ability, etc). If you have questions related to game mechanics, please ask here or via PM—don’t ask Jeeves. :wink:

Throughout the game, this post will be updated with relevant information.

Time until Nightfall:  http://itsalmo.st/#night2

Surviving Players

1. The Doge of Benis Sneakily dispatched by an unknown assailant
2. Moose!
3. Big McLarge-Huge Found out that murder is indeed the most dangerous game
4. Austyboo
5. Jock Murderated during Night 5/Day 6
6. Xardob
7. Orgasmo Hung to an inch beyond his life.
8. SootShade Poleaxed, like so many others who came before him.
9. Lumos
10. Lord Brutus (rep Alaric Shinrog) Went home on Day 4
11. Dystopian Took a poleaxe to the back on Night 6
12. Zazu Stabbed to death on Night 1
13. Calradianın Bilgesi (rep SeánC)

Current Player Locations (as of 29/8/17 Day 2)

Known Weapons

Alaric Shinrog

Code:
Machete

Cannot be hidden. Fair defence if attacked in the open, okay defence if attacked in secret.
Can kill in the open or in secret.

======

Big McLarge-Huge

Code:
Hatchet

Cannot be hidden. Fair defence if attacked in the open, okay defence if attacked in secret.

Code:
Fabergé Egg
x2

This Faberge Egg is fabulous, but it doesn’t make a very good weapon. You could probably bludgeon somebody to death with it, but you have to ask yourself whether it’s worth the trouble.
Too fabulous to be hidden. Weak attack, no defence.

Code:
Wooden Stake

Can be hidden. Weak attack, no defence against conventional weapons. This appears to be a pretty ****ty weapon.

======

The Doge of Benis

Code:
Poleaxe

Can only kill in the open.

======

Lumos

Code:
Folding Chair

Cannot be hidden. Improvised weapons offer a weak attack, a weak defence if attacked in the open, and no defence if attacked in secret. Best used against unarmed players or in secret.

Code:
French Cavalry Sabre

======

Bilgesi

Code:
Shotgun

Cannot be hidden. Very good defence if attacked in the open, okay defence if attacked in secret.
Can only kill in the open.

=======

Xardob

Code:
Fabergé Egg

This Faberge Egg is fabulous, but it doesn’t make a very good weapon. You could probably bludgeon somebody to death with it, but you have to ask yourself whether it’s worth the trouble.
Too fabulous to be hidden. Weak attack, no defence.

Code:
Meat Cleaver

Can be hidden. Fair defence if attacked in the open, okay defence if attacked in secret.

Who Owns What

Bilgesi

Code:
Rusty Breastplate

Code:
Shotgun

Code:
Carving Knife

Code:
Lucky Rabbit's Foot

Big McLarge-Huge

Code:
Hatchet

Code:
WWII First Aid Kit

Code:
Antique Tome

Code:
Faberge Egg x2

Code:
Wooden Stake

Lumos

Code:
Antique Panda Statue

Code:
Folding Chair

Code:
Antique Jewelry Box

Code:
French Cavalry Sabre

The Doge of Benis

Code:
Poleaxe

Code:
Gold Locket

Code:
Bag of Norse Runes

Code:
Tarot Deck

Xardob

Code:
Antique Figurine of Sekhmet

Code:
Garland of Garlic

Code:
Antique Spyglass

Code:
Meat Cleaver

Austyboo

Code:
Wooden Decoy Duck

Code:
Flashlight

Moose!

Code:
Lucky Rabbit's Foot

Up for grabs:

Tarot Deck
Clue 1
Clue 13

General Info

• Please be respectful to your fellow players and the host! If the host makes a mistake, please point this out gently.

• If you are mortally wounded during the game, you may not post in the game thread (as you are unconscious and probably losing a lot of blood). Just hang tight, and I’ll PM you to let you know what will happen next.

• The last three players alive at the end of the game, win.

• The game does not end until the mystery is solved. You will have to balance teamwork with eliminating your competition to ensure you have enough players left to solve the mystery.

• The game will operate in two modes: “Day” mode lasts for 48 real-time hours. “Night” mode lasts for 24 real-time hours. All Actions which can be performed during the Day, can also be performed during the Night. There is no need for sleep (in fact, until the mystery is solved, you don’t get to sleep!) The switch between Day/Night will always happen at 7pm GMT, even if I’m not online at the time to announce it. Assume this is an automatic thing, and I will provide you with a countdown clock.

• The ultimate goal of the game is to survive to the last three, but you all have Personal Goals which you will earn real internet points for completing, and in some cases you’ll win real kudos for completing your Personal Goal even if you don’t survive to the end of the game.

• No discussion of the game in other threads/PMs/Facebook, what have you. What happens in the Game thread stays in the Game thread.

• You all have unique roles and abilities, but the bread and butter of getting through the game will be the items you find hidden around the manor and its grounds.

• You will find clues scattered throughout the manor and its grounds. It is your choice whether you share your clue with the rest of the players after you find it. You may choose to share your clue, to withhold your clue until a more opportune moment, or never share it at all. You don’t have to tell the host your intentions, but if you do choose to share the clue, you cannot lie about the contents or nature of the clue. You must give the clue as quoted by the host in your PM. Players who attempt to deceive others by fabricating whole or partial clues will be insta-killed by the host.

• No post edits. Post edits can be used to cheat in games like these, so please do not edit your posts. If you need to change/rescind an order, you can post again directly after.

Actions

You may only take one action at a time. You may not take an action with a cool down a second time until the cool down from your previous one has expired. If you're unsure about how something works, PM me and I'll clear it up.

Case the Joint: [Room/Area]” — Go off to a particular room/area in search of items or clues. You never know what you might find, possibly nothing at all. This action takes 12-24 hours to complete.

Move To: [Room/Area]” —Move to a particular room/area without taking any additional action. Moves are instant. If you case a room/area, you’ve automatically moved there.

Get Them!: [Player]” — If half (rounded up) the remaining players agree to “Get Them!” they may kill a player without using an item. 24 hours cooldown if successful.

Use [Item]” — Some items are one-use only and will be consumed upon use. An item’s description will state how many uses it has, plus any restrictions on its usage.

Use [Ability]” — Some of you can do certain things, rules for how to do them will be in your role PMs.

Drop Item/Give Item/Trade Item” — Drop item relinquishes an item you don’t want. The item is dropped on the floor where you stand, and can be claimed by any other player on a first-come basis. Only one item can be claimed per player. Give Item allows you to give an item to another player. All ‘gives’ are automatically accepted so long as the  receiving player is alive. Dead players cannot receive items. Trade Item allows a quid-quo-pro trade between two players, for those situations in which simple Giving isn’t enough. Both players must agree to the trade before it is complete.

Kill [Player name] with [weapon]” — You may opt to kill a player openly (by declaring it in the game thread) or in secret (by PMing the host with your orders on who to kill and with which weapon)

Some players have additional actions they may take depending on their abilities/items. These can be discussed with the host via PM.

Examples of how to post actions:

Search for an item or clue:

CASE THE JOINT: Entrance Hall

Use an item:

USE THE GRAMOPHONE

Use an ability:

USE ABILITY: PROVOCATIVE DANCE or DO A PROVOCATIVE DANCE

Trade an Item:

Jane: Trade my TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE for John’s BLANKET OF PROTECTION
John: Agree to trade Jane’s TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE for my BLANKET OF PROTECTION

Kill a player openly:

KILL John with CLAYMORE

Gang-up on/Group kill a player:

GET THEM: JOHN

Please ensure all Actions are bolded and coloured (either limegreen or red, though any colour that stands out will do) so that they are not missed by the host.

Combat

• Unless you state which weapon you wish to use to kill, the weapon with the highest attack stat will automatically be chosen. Some of these weapons are one-use only, so please ensure you state which weapon you wish to use.

• When defending against an attack, the best/most appropriate/highest defence weapon is automatically selected, unless you direct the host otherwise in advance.

• At the start of combat, both players roll a D10 (this is handled by the host). Any bonuses are applied, and the highest score wins. In the words of the previous game host, it’s not a good idea to bring a knife to a shotgun fight.

• Players who lose their combat will become MORTALLY WOUNDED. When a player is mortally wounded, they may not post in the thread. All of their items are dropped on the ground and can be picked by other players (one per player). If a mortally wounded player is not able to recover within 24 hours, they DIE.

• If you attack a player in secret, and that player is not alone in their room/area, there is a 50% chance you may be seen attacking your victim by other player(s) present. This penalty drops to 25% if attacking in secret during NIGHT. If a secret attack is successful, the victim will not know who attacked him/her. If a secret attack is unsuccessful, the victim will face his attacker and counter-attack. Unlike in the previous game, this will be presented as the losing party being mortally wounded by an UNKNOWN ASSAILANT. Only the defender (and any successful witnesses) will know who initially attacked them, and it is their choice whether they share that information.

Moose! said:
I say, Jeeves, any chance there's some food left around for us in the dining room? I'm famished.

eiJop.png

As it's been twenty years since the death of the Baron and the abandonment of this manor, I'm afraid that all the perishable food has, predictably, perished. I did, however, locate this delicious tinned product under the dining table; perhaps the cook dropped it by accident? I hope you enjoy it.

Spam_can.png

Moose! has found a can of spam!

Ah, it's good to finally be here... British Rail aren't what they used to be... Dear Jeeves, may I have your attention for a moment...? *points to nearest Constable painting* I really quite appreciate the décor, the Cattericks appear to have a fine taste. Being an artist myself, I was curious whether you could, naturally after all this mystery business has wrapped up, get me in contact with the late Baron's family? I believe I may be of assistance, should, let's say, sir Thomas like to... *waves hand nonchalantly* update his inventory of art, as it were.
(ASK JEEVES:smile: What happened to the Baroness and the honourable Sir Thomas after the Baron's murder? How did this manor come to be abandoned?

Lumоs said:
(ASK JEEVES:smile: What happened to the Baroness and the honourable Sir Thomas after the Baron's murder? How did this manor come to be abandoned?

eiJop.png

The Baroness Catterick was too distraught after her husband's murder to remain in the manor. Having nightly visitations from his ghost no doubt added to her distress. She took her son to one of her family's holdings in London, and lives there still. Thomas, has, I believe, become embroiled in the unscrupulous and morally ambiguous world of... —Jeeves glances from side to side, as if afraid of being overheard—... stocks and shares.

Neither of them has been back to the manor since they departed.​

Jeeves, that was an enthralling tale, but I have two questions for you:
Was there no investigation into the Baron's death twenty years ago, when it actually occurred, and if not, why? It's hardly a wonder his spirit is restless when his death seems to have been received so nonchalantly.
Where is the good Baron buried? Just for curiosity's sake.

Unfortunate to see beautiful armour pieces in such disarray. (ASK JEEVES) Did these suits of armour belong to anyone in particular?

*..this shady teenager glances around purposefully*

Surp'rised a manor like this hasn't been run down prupper, ueghh... Like my da used to say, time's portend a pint.

CASE THE JOINT

Thank you, Jeeves. That said, a twenty-year-old trail is beyond cold. ASK JEEVES: Of those aforementioned individuals present on the night of the murder, were there any that had alibis and couldn't possibly have been the murderer? Except you, of course, since you are naturally beyond reproach, as you said so well.

Austyboo ^_^ said:
Jeeves, that was an enthralling tale, but I have two questions for you:
Was there no investigation into the Baron's death twenty years ago, when it actually occurred, and if not, why? It's hardly a wonder his spirit is restless when his death seems to have been received so nonchalantly.
Where is the good Baron buried? Just for curiosity's sake.

eiJop.png

The death was investigated by the local police force, of course. However, the police here are more used to dealing with acts of livestock theft than of murder, and I'm afraid their investigations were less thorough than a more metropolitan force would've ensured. Nobody was charged with the murder, and the case was closed down due to a lack of evidence.

The Baron is interred in the cemetery of his family, in West Sussex. It's quite some miles from the manor.​

Zazu said:
Unfortunate to see beautiful armour pieces in such disarray. (ASK JEEVES) Did these suits of armour belong to anyone in particular?

eiJop.png

The Baron enjoyed acquiring relics at every available opportunity. Most of these pieces came from other stately homes and castles around the country, and were the Baron's private purchases. I have no knowledge of any of their previous owners.​

Lumоs said:
ASK JEEVES: Of those aforementioned individuals present on the night of the murder, were there any that had alibis and couldn't possibly have been the murderer? Except you, of course, since you are naturally beyond reproach, as you said so well.

eiJop.png

That is what you are here to discover. I'm sure you'll do an admirable job.​

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
That is what you are here to discover. I'm sure you'll do an admirable job.
*I laugh heartily and smack him on the back with a little more force than would be anticipated* Grand! You're not going to make it easy on us, are you? Good man. I like earning my rewards.

Well, with all that established, I say we get to it. *I nod to Dystopian* This lad here seems to know how it goes.
CASE THE JOINT: ENTRANCE HALL

*I look around, realising an examination will take a while. With a heavy sigh, and slightly quieter voice, I add:* At least this promises to be a lot more lucrative than my painting...

Righto, hello everyone. Not one to waste much time on chitter-chatter myself, I do hope we get to know each other more in the coming days.

I do have a question for you Jeeves, seeing as you're quite familiar with the manor and its residents. Who did (or still do) you suspect murder dear old baron from that list of people who stayed here during his death. You said after all, it must have been someone he knew.
Case the Joint: [Decrepit Treehouse]

Jock said:
I do have a question for you Jeeves, seeing as you're quite familiar with the manor and its residents. Who did (or still do) you suspect murder dear old baron from that list of people who stayed here during his death. You said after all, it must have been someone he knew.

eiJop.png

It is hard to imagine any of the people on that list committing murder. And yet, one of them must be guilty of the crime. I'm afraid your question is a little vague. Once you've finished on your search, you may wish to ask questions about specific persons of interest.​

Back
Top Bottom