Max Army Size and Morale - Easy to change in scripts.txt

Users who are viewing this thread

I just wanted to say thanks to TheMageLord for this info!  I'm enjoying the game a whole lot more now.

It's nice that game developers like to put in stuff that supposedly adds realistic things to the game, like recent events having an effect on party morale, but having to go and fight bandits, looters, raiders, ect.. just keep the troops happy is stupid.  A recent event like capturing a town ought to count for more and last longer.  If you are spending the next few days after a successful siege, going around and collecting and training men for the garrison, they should consider that as good of a recent event as killing a group of sea raiders that are no match for us.

I also understand the realistic nature of having to feed your troops, but when you have a limited inventory section, and half of it is filled with horses and food it takes away the fun of winning when you can't even enjoy the spoils of victory because you don't have any room to hold the stuff that your looting skill allows you to get after the battle.  And, why are horses even inventory items?  Am I hauling them on my back in a pack?  Horses should not be inventory.  They should be like a container that can hold 5 inventory items.  Make them cost money for food, or something to make up for it.

Anyway, adding realistic stuff that takes the fun out of the game is not the right way to go about it.  It took Sid Meier years to realize that pollution in the Civilization games was just an aggravation to the player that added nothing to the game play experience except pain.

The morale and inventory stuff always felt like pollution to me, so thanks again for the info on how to make the game more enjoyable to me.

bigchief said:
And, why are horses even inventory items?  Am I hauling them on my back in a pack?  Horses should not be inventory.  They should be like a container that can hold 5 inventory items.  Make them cost money for food, or something to make up for it.
Well, you do have to look after horses, and lead them around if you're not riding them while travelling. I always found the idea of them taking up an inventory slot to be a fairly decent abstraction of that.

I like realistic stuff. Learning to balance it is part of the challenge. Up to a point, obviously.

Saber Cherry said:
Temujin said:
Does this work on 0.955?

My numbers in the chunk for the party size seems a little bit different I think so I dare not touch it

Read my post on page 5 with the updated numbers.  And yes, it works fine in .955.

I did, thats the one about Morale, I changed that based on your post, I'm talking about the other chunk  :smile:

Bumping awesome thread that should be sticky'd.

Enemy forces should be much larger. Right now in my game, all the cities have 600 garrison, so nobody even tries to take a city even though it's not that hard.

Sorry for the double post, but what would I edit to make villages give more troops, now that I made my party size huge.

Also, this is a bit off topic but is there a way to modify the "upgrade button" to upgrade 5 troops, upgrade 10 troops etc? If you don't know what I mean, its on your party screen when you are upgrading troops. It would make things a lot quicker.

Temujin said:
Ds still work for 1.003

The game_get_party_companion_limit script is the same, so it should work fine there. The only difference I see from the old version in this thread and the 1.003 is the bonus per point of leadership is 5 instead of 3.

The morale script seems to be changed a little bit just by my glancing at it in the scripts.txt file. The changes seem to be after the numbers that I mentioned in the first post, though - so you'd probably get the same results by changing them. It's still 3 and 7. I haven't tested it.

Please post if you end up changing this file for all forum members to see.  I also hate having only a 5 bonus party member size increase.

FS

Where are the script files? I can't seem to find them in the M&B Directory.

*EDITED*

Nevermind. I found it.  :wink:

I think I’ve found another way. :shock:

Go to Mount & Blade / Modules / Hundred Years War and find “quick_strings” (.txt)

Open it and search the line:

qstr_Current_party_morale Current_party_morale_is_{reg5}.^Current_party_morale_modifiers_are:^^Base_morale:__+50^Party_size:_{s2}{reg1}^Leadership:_{s3}{reg2}^Food_variety:_{s4}{reg3}{s5}{s6}^Recent_events:_{s7}{reg4}^TOTAL:__{reg5}

This line is on 50% of this document (press ctrl+f and search for “Current_party_morale”)

You can change Base_morale:__+50 to +150 or more, just like you want.

With this value on 150 or 250 there are no more problems with morale :grin:

Hate to ruin your idea, but all that's editing is the string that tells you you have +50 morale. All you're doing is having the game say "You have +250 morale!" even though the effects are still "You have +50 morale!"

Quick strings are just stored strings for things like menus to call from. In the module system they are stored in the menus file itself, but in the text files they are separated out. You CAN edit the base morale, though. Just look in the get_player_party_morale_values script and find the only 50 in the whole thing. It's about halfway through. As far as I can tell, that's where base morale gets added in. You can also edit the strings file to make it show you the new number correctly, since like you found that string just stores 50 directly.

First of all, I just wanna thank you for all the great script mods you've thought me! :grin:

I also have a question, I see that the get_player_party_morale_values -1 has been changed a bit since previous versions, it now starts with 44 and not 49 to begin with, and I'm not sure if changing it to 50 and adding your string will work. I suspect it is as easy as changing it to 45 instead of 50 and then adding your string, but would like to hear what you think (oh grand master of codes :razz: ), before I fudge things up on a whole new plain. :twisted: Am I doing something wrong or is the info on how to change get_player_party_morale_values -1 outdated?

Keep up the good work, tweaking, it's the small things that makes it grand :wink:

I guess the challenge is in the balance - I personally upgrade the leadership bonus heavily, because otherwise the player can never match the lords party sizes.  OK, half the fun is smashing Harlaus 165 with my 40, but to storm a city, more than 75 would be nice - except when I go up to 90 or 100 troops, desertion kicks in even with nonstop pillaging and fighting.

Good to know about the NPC's - I thought it was just the Geroian trainer who ruined morale!

Back
Top Bottom