Tales from the Riverrealm - Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Count Jyland

Recruit
Hello all. I have been thinking for some time now about starting up a game at this site, and here's the result. It will be a classic adventure game with a loose red thread of a plot for those who're interested. I will present the world in which the game takes place, but I will not give you all the details. You can add details as well when we're playing (as long as they don't contradict what I've already written).

The game takes place in the Riverrealm - a great land of mountains, valleys, forests and rivers. In the north lies the frozen sea, to the west the realm of islands, to the east a great uncharted forest. In the south lies the lowlands from which the giants hail - but more about that below.

The Riverrealm is not a united realm, but consists of a multitude of kingdoms who rival with each other for land and power. These kingdoms are seldom bigger than a valley with a town, a fort and two or three villages in them. The kings of these kingdoms rule their lands from a fort or castle with the help of their sworn knights. Conflicts between kingdoms are often resolved in duels rather than battles, the cause being the Holy war in the south.
This brings us to the one thing these kingdoms have in common: the faith. The same set of deities are worshiped in all of the kingdoms of the Riverrealm, the only difference being their names. The personalities and traits of the gods are always the same, though. The gods worshiped are The Father, The Mother, The Warrior, The Smith, The Maiden, The Crone and The Stranger (yes, this part is ripped from A Game of Thrones - deal with it). The Father is the god of judgement and justice. The Mother is the god of mercy and kindness. You pray to The Warrior for protection, strength and courage in battle. The Smith is the labouring god; people pray to The Smith for luck when travelling, bountiful harvests, good craftmanship and other such things. The Maiden is the god of beauty and innocence. The crone is the god of wisdom. The Stranger is a many-faced god. He is death, but also the protector of the misfits and the outcasts. The Stranger represents those who doesn't fit in with the rest, who are uninvited or strange.
These seven gods wage a bloody war against the giants of the south, and the gods they worship. Soldiers are always needed, and it has become a thing of great prestige among the kings of the Riverrealm to ship off the most troops to aid in the Holy War. Because of this, only token garrisons remain at home, making conventional warfare between kingdoms almost impossible.

The world is populated by other things than humans, animals and giants, though. There are dark, mystical beings such as trolls, werewolves, vampires and even dragons living in the mountains and forests of the Realm. These are always a danger for remote settlements or, sometimes, entire towns. The wilderness is always just around the corner in the Riverrealm. Apart from the mystical beings, bandits are also a constant dangers to travellers and merchants.

The feel and culture of the people living in the Riverrealm is somewhere near the Vikings mixed with Germanic tribes. People know how to work iron, but it is expensive and most of the weapons and armor that is manufactured goes to the war in the south.

The players will all be part of a small group of deserters from the Holy war. You have fled north together with different agendas, the binding force being survival in numbers. You are most certainly being hunted, or at the very least being searched for, but that is not your only concern; deserters are not very well treated in towns and villages. If caught by a king, a deserter could lose his life.

Anyone may join this game. I'll start it up once a few people have announced their interest. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

I'm kind of interested. I currently do have a real load on my plate right now, but I'd contribute a character if this got off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom