Swadian Civil War- Now open-source. See first page or page 19 for download link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mirathei

Sergeant Knight
This mod, Swadian Civil war, is a mod very close to native, but far more epic, and with a plot.
You begin with a army of about 80 knights and infantrymen. There are many new towns to conquer, and Zendar produces "Loyalist Armies", which are on your side.
Also, despite your father's better and more desirable rule, the peasants revolt against you. Around Zendar, "Rebel Rabbles" form.
Those are just a few of the new features. More complete description below. Here is the trailer:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7472164934746459078

Here is the latest release:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=359

And here are the source files:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=4&id=574
Be sure to give credit.
If you are not a modder, do not bother with this link.

Developing team: just me, but others are welcome to join.
Special thanks to Raz for his castle waypoint script.

Features:

The Plotline:
As stated above, at the start of the game, the player is stranded on the Vaegir side of the river Zendar with a small army of knights and infantry. He has been campaigning for some time there, based in Zendar, but in his absence the thrown to which he was heir was usurped by his uncle, who assassinated his father. This man (the bad guy) is King Harlaus. Every city and minor outpost previously held by the player's father, and therefore part of his heirloom, has been turned against him. Simultaneously, the peasants in the area around the Zendar river rebell, and huge rabbles of rebbels rampage around, checked only by the armies of Zendar, which are still loyal to the player. Fortunately, the Vaegirs were willing to make peace with the player, and a shaky alliance is formed. This can be abandoned at any time, and often will be. Meanwhile, the cause of all this turmoil, Harlaus is raising a large army in his encampment just south of Veluca, which will take several weeks to fully equip and set out. Because of the risks of this delay, Harlaus will find a way to keep the player, and his Vaegir allies, occupied. If he is not defeated, and if the player seems to be at all active in his travels, Harlaus will bribe a huge horde of Sea Raiders to attack the Vaegirhold. The player will not immedeately know of this, and untill a messenger can reach him with the bad news, the horde will slowly advance towards Reyvadin, and it may get there before the player does. If so, the Vaegirs stand no chance, but if the messenger reaches the player and the player reaches King Yaroglek in time, and if the player can convince Yaroglek that victory is possible, then the Vaegir king will muster a large host to march out and meet the Sea Raider Horde head on. This host may defeat the horde, or it may not. If so, the player will be temporarily safe. If not, the Vaegirs will fall. There are a huge number of possible outcomes to this, but regardless, Harlaus will continue raising his army if he is not defeated. When this army is ready, Harlaus will march out toward the player himself, and the player will be notified by messenger. Again, this depends on how active the player is in fighting the war. What happens on account of Harlaus's army is up to Harlaus, and the player. There is no specific ending to the mod. The story ends when the war is won or lost.

The War System:
The war system for this mod attempts to take into account factors which may affect the outcome of the war, but which are not represented on the battlefield. It calculates the fortunes for three factions: Vaegirs, Swadians, and Swadians still loyal to the player. It takes into account how many reserve troops a faction has, how much food and supplies it has to feed them with, plague , famine, and settlements. Reserve troops are governed by several factors. An excess supply of food will cause the reserves to increase, a  shortage will cause a decrease. Every party that is spawned is subtracted from that factions reserves. If the total number of reserve troops becomes too high, this increases the probability of a deadly epidemic breaking out in the barracks. Such a plague will drastically decrease every factions reserves, and thus will make the war smaller scale, but more desperate. Food is affected by a similar myriad of factors. Obviously, troops waiting in the barracks eat up a large amount of food. Caravans and foragers are both designed to gather or transport food, always for a net gain, and thus raiding caravans and foraging parties is a good way to deal long term damage to your enemies while sustaining relatively light casualties. Just as disease can severely cut back a factions reserves, a blight can reduce its rations. A crop blight may occur at nearly any time, and it will severely reduce every faction's food stores. When a city is captured, either by the player or by the ai, since both can attack, the food and supplies captured will make a significant long-term difference in the war. Since food cannot be mass produced in a time of war, it is one of the most important recourses at a faction's command. When a city is captured, food is given to the conquering faction at the expense of the conquered.

Every party has a purpose:
The bold print says it all. Whereas parties in native just wander around looking for trouble, parties have specific objectives in Swadian Civil War. Large war parties are the powerhouses of the army, with tactical troops to order formations, large bodies of infantry, and a plain advantage in numbers. Each war party is assigned an enemy city to besiege. Since war parties require large amounts of organization, if a faction's capital city (Sargoth for the Swadians or Reyvadin for the Vaegirs) is captured, thus removing its central athority, that faction will not be able to spawn new war parties. Patrolls also are each assigned an enemy settlement to capture, but they are far less potent and have no semblance of the tactical potential of a war party. Despite their weaknesses, patrolls are a factions only hope if its capital is captured. With every war party or patroll that is spawned, a scouting party is also spawned, which will patroll around the larger party. The scouts can help the slow war parties capture faster enemies, or lure war parties toward one another. Caravans and foraging parties are a large source of food for their faction, and prisoner trains are the only source of reinforcement the large offensive parties have.

Battlefield Tactics:
Swadian Civil War also attempts to increase the level of tactical interplay on the battlefield. To accomplish this, the size of all parties, and of the fields they fight on, is vastly increased. This is enhanced by a built in battle size changer, which is compatable with the official one. There is more room for tactical maneuvers and more troops to perform them with. Formations are also included, for both the player and ai. There are currently three types of formations implemented: a box/line formation, a wedge, and a circle. The box formation is tight, orderly, and highly effective against cavalry. The only ai parties which will use these are war parties. The wedge is very vulnerable and not very effective. It is only there to reserve space for when cavalry can be put into formation. Ai do not use it. The circle formation is not very orderly, vulnerable against cavalry and archers, but is very effective against large bodies of infantry. Ai parties will use it only if they attempt to flee but are persued. There are several orders besides currently implemented; you can order your troops to charge, but to stay close to one another, as is the default behavior for ai infantry in Swadian Civil War, an you can order them to charge, which will cause them to act on default m+b ai. To use these orders, press "i" while your men are under orders to charge according to the game's orders. As mentioned before, enemies or allies may rout if the odds become decisively againtst them. A routing army is virtually defenseless, and cannot be given any orders. How likely your men are to rout depends on your leadership ability. I have also gone to great lengths to make the ai behave better in a siege. As long as you do not give your men any direct orders, they will be able to find their way onto the enemy walls, and if you are helping to lift a siege, the enemy will be likewise inteligent. You will also have the option to raid enemy towns from horseback. The siege ai improvements will not take effect in this case, but you can give the standard battlefield orders. Another tactical opportunity currently implemented is the destructible scene props. Just about any prop along the lines of a fence, gate/door, or wall will be destructable, and all have varying degrees of toughness. These can be partially or fully destroyed, and the difficulty required to destroy them is somewhat variable. Another handy siege tool is the catapult it can crumble a stone wall and is fired by hitting the catapult arm with some weapon. This feature is unfinished, but can be found in Norgard, Praven, and the Training Ground on a trial basis. Finally, rather than getting a random portion of plunder from the loot box, you will be able to plunder dead bodies on the battlefield. If you kill a man and want his weapon, take it.

I intend to expand battlefield tactics in future releases.

Photodump:

If you have any questions, comments, or random suggestions, don't hesitate to post.  :smile: I always am glad to hear about it.
The next release will most likely come after the new version of m+b, so be sure to make any suggestions you have in mind so that I can implement them while porting.
Mirathei​

Wow, very nice video.

Good luck on your mod, might want to give a little bit more info though...

I see you implemented Thorgrim's knock-down death animation script-thing.

Voutare:

It's all about your frame of reference -- a very rich player might not translate into a powerful ruler, though 300 starting troops means this is probably going to be on power levels that make TLD look modest. Could be done, though -- and besides, there's the question of applicability of force as well as power. If you're certain to defeat any army you fight, but you have to deal with three enemy armies at the same time, things can still be very interesting...

Trust me. :smile:

Voutare, I experimented with your idea of not starting out with an army, but there is simply no way to raise a party large enough to deal with some of the obstacles in this mod from nothing. I think I will simply reduce the player's forces by half, making it still extremely difficult, but still possible.

Some of the other features include: A Swadian Encampment where king Harlaus is raising an army, which is stock full of Swadian infantry and knights.
                                                  Peasant revolt replaces river pirates, parties start at threehundred men, max out in the thousands- when they dogpile a loyalist army, the battles can be absolutely massive
                                                  New game starts- items modified to make each different
                                                  Leadership bonus much larger so troops do not desert
                                                  Entirely new soundtrack
                                    Updated: New sneaking into town disguise
                                                  Arrows/bolts do not transform into a brown streak after being fired
                                                  Much larger battlefeilds
                                                  Sea raider warbands starting in the hundreds
                                                  Halberds and halberdiers
                                                  Recruitable prisoners
                                                  Larger prisoner management bonus
                                                  Destructable palisades and porticullus

Screenshots coming soon.
By the way, what is TLD?

Hombre pues está bonito el video.  :cool:  Best of luck with your mod Mirathei. I'll be on the look out for more news from it.

I'm also looking forward to this, for what my interest is worth... :smile:

Guan_Chung: Although TLD invented the genre, I think there's plenty of room for other approaches within it. This one in particular could have significant advantages, not least because, like Storymod, it'd be leveraging much more of the original game than is most often the case...

I see guys running in full armor -- means you're tweaking some vanilla stats :grin:, right? This should be a good mod, I like the idea as well. (don't forget to turn on heavy/balanced polearms and fix the stats for maul and sledgehammer)

ex_ottoyuhr said:
I'm also looking forward to this, for what my interest is worth... :smile:

Guan_Chung: Although TLD invented the genre, I think there's plenty of room for other approaches within it. This one in particular could have significant advantages, not least because, like Storymod, it'd be leveraging much more of the original game than is most often the case...

Look at Mirathei's post right above mine. The last sentence there, he asked what TLD was.

Back
Top Bottom