Paradox's Project: War of the Roses - War of the Vikings

Users who are viewing this thread

Puppy said:
It's hard to feel that much ill will towards Yazzy, though, as Taleworlds arguably has not released any concrete new features since the original mount and blade, despite 2 mediocre expansions having come and gone. This is an interesting, promising project, and I wish him the best.
Well, Warband actually is not mediocre. It was known that it would focus on multiplayer and it did that greatly. It has 4.000 people playing it, daily.

As for With Fire and Sword, yes, that one is pretty bad. Though, It was not Taleworlds that did it, which is another story.

Yes, warband was good. I still play it regurlarly, but it really did not live up to my expectations. Yes, I am aware that it was merely a multiplayer expansion, but is it really too much to ask for something more than a multiplayer skirimish mode as the only new feature for a $30 expansion?

Call expansion that adds multiplayer and graphical improvements mediocre.
Call entirely new game that adds 'perks' to multiplayer and graphical improvements interesting and promising.

Warbands was never anything more than M&B 1.0, but WotR doesn't seem to be adding anything other than snipping the singleplayer and pasting on some of the usual FPS perk grind.

I think it's a tad early to say WotR doesn't seem to be adding anything, when the only thing to go on are a couple videos, but I have to agree I'm rather disappointed about the grinding bit. I just think it's only fair to give this a good chance, and stop condemning Yazzy from jumping onto a potentially amazing game.

I think the bigger concern would be the bit where Paradox commissioned a game that completely undermines one of their signed developers then turns around and tries to claim originality for the project and to have 'indie producer' credability.

Goker said:
Nah, the bigger concern is, Taleworlds doesn't seem to have realized that.

I think they have. But what are they going to do about it? Paradox has them by the balls, no doubt.

I hope they're focusing on making a SP Mount and Blade 2, so that they won't have to worry about that stupid War of Roses.

But they're probably not. *sad*

To be honest, besides from some bugfixes and map additions, there isn't much they can do for MP. I'd like it if they focused on SP as well. The community is handling itself pretty well on MP, arranging tournaments, adding maps, fixing glitches and sort of stuff.

If they focus on MP only, I at least hope they add some fun and unique modes besides the standard siege/tdm/dm/etc. Like... infiltration missions. Wave survival. Something like that.

Scully said:
If they focus on MP only, I at least hope they add some fun and unique modes besides the standard siege/tdm/dm/etc. Like... infiltration missions. Wave survival. Something like that.
I feel like TW knew that their community would make those and more. Also, WFaS had wave survival :lol:

Comrade Temuzu said:
Scully said:
I feel like TW knew that their community would make those and more. Also, WFaS had wave survival :lol:

I am all for mods and added features, but how this is a good approach to any game development?

It reminds me of Bethesda who release games that one is better of waiting two years for mods to fix or improve.  :???:

Many of the mods add things to Warband that the developers should arguably have added or included to begin with. (Of course I am sure the developers were under pressure or so forth and likewise I am very impressed by the work of several modders).

I for one would be happy if the game was simply supported, maintained and patched...so that one doesn't have to go for a mod(cRPG) to find an actively developed version.

I'm not a fan of playing MP games, but I reckon people still play the latest Counter Strike quite a bit, no? I'd imagine that if people like to grind from evening to evening, what they consider important is gameplay. And I'd say it will be damn hard to top that of Warband's, especially using its own mechanics. And as for COD fans, I don't think it's shiny enough to attract all the 12 year olds around the world, nor is the setting appealing enough.

Hey hey TaleWorlds Lords and Ladies,

I was made aware of this thread recently and upon seeing all the chatter, I've decided I had better get off my busy ass (although sometimes lazy) and make my post to the community which I should have done.

But you'll have to go ahead and grant me a pardon  :roll: since I've been busy dealing with starting new life in a new country, with a new apartment and new big job...anyways enough excuses.

I had the pleasure of talking to captain_lust over steam and explaining the whole situation to him. I also owe it to the community(of which I had a lot of laughs with) too !

Some of you may know, I was the only foreign employee(American actually) of TaleWorlds.
What you may not understand, is how difficult it is to be a foreign worker in a country like Turkey.
After working for TW for 2 years, TW was unable to secure permission from the government to keep a foreign employee employed.

I decided to join a company which I respect and enjoyed their games, Lead & Gold, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, etc.  I had met the company's founders several times during GDC and really liked the people from FatShark.

When this situation came up in my life, I looked at and received offers from different companies, in the end I choose the best and most exciting thing for myself, as a real breathing person who wants to make good decisions for himself in life :smile:  I think all of you can understand that.

Anyhow, I had a wonderful time working at TW.
I got to do level design, marketing, and pr work on Warband.
I got to do project management, mp design, marketing/pr on WFaS.
I got to do game design on Mount and Blade 2 and other projects at TW.
And lots of other businessy things at TW.

I am grateful for my time at TW, I really like the community and modders at TW. 
I wish I had explained the situation earlier, but life and stress makes you busy sometimes :razz:

I ask that you overlook any silliness that comes out of games journalism that says I was a designer of MB1, that is not true, I only did level design on warband and game design on mb2.  But journalists make mistakes too.

I also ask you not to slam Paradox for any funny messages you may think PR or journalists generate.  Sometimes interviews or videos are edited in strange ways, sometimes PR people over there say things that can be misunderstood.  My point is Paradox loves and respects TW and MB franchise and they would never really claim that MB doesn't exist. 

At any rate, life goes on, all these games are damn well worth playing, try not to take things so seriously, it is the games industry afterall  :mrgreen:

Thanks so much for reading and take good care TW Community.

In much dubious seriousness and audacious capacity,

Yazzy Lord of the Squirrels and 1 former designer on Project Obvious. 

Back
Top Bottom