Why bows?

Users who are viewing this thread

well why bows its just because arrow is sharper than the stone and good archer is surely more accurate than slinger from far distance. sometimes they may have used other projectiles than stones but usually stones, so who would carry dozens of stones in pocket all the time? arrows take less room and dont weight so much.

Channler said:
Llew2 said:
ArabArcher35 said:
They HAD TO BE developed independently in the New World, as there was no contact between the Americas and the Old World until Leif Erikkson landed in Vinland.

sorry to contradict you old boy, but that is not true.

the Egyptians are the first ones to reach the new world, they are the ones that brought civilisation to the Aztecs, Mayans, etc.
there are tons of reasons for this conclusion, and I could write pages on it, but I'll just give a few reasons. the Aztecs and Egyptians both have the Sun God Ra. they both build stone pyramids where they bury their dead, (the Aztecs had to haul their stone hundreds of miles through muddy jungle to reach the building sites).
and a guy called Thor Heyerdahl made the voyage from the Mediterranean sea to south America in a reed boat, using only what the Egyptians would have used, so it defiantly could be done.

And theres the fact that the Aztecs have a "White skinned people with hair on there faces" that came and taught them everything they know.

About Thor Heyerdahl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

I'm afraid thats a THEORY. Please don't go throwing around it and saying its the truth. Theres ample evidence that modern man came from France and into the "new world" as well.. So please. I built pyramids in the sand at a beach before I knew what an Egyptian or their pyramids were.

Remember that a scientific/ historical theory is not necessarily a whimsical idea made by some moron-it's a "prototype law" created from many observations and experiments. 

@ Kissaki: But arrows are much more deadlier, no?

Even pellet bows lacked the power of the true an' blue bow & arrow, thus their general lack of use...

Plus, with practice a bowman should be able to avoid most, if not all, injuries from his own weapon.

Archonsod said:
Kissaki said:
Slings are simpler and cheaper, perfecter.

They're also pretty useless as soon as your opponent starts wearing armour...
That would have to be some pretty heavy armour, then. A sling bullet might knock you stone dead even wearing a metal helmet. Sling projectiles, by the way, included both round and pointed stone and ceramic bullets, and even darts would be used. The range, on average, would be around 200 meters. Staff slings would obviousy have greater range and velocity.

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
@ Kissaki: But arrows are much more deadlier, no?
That depends entirely. If an arrow misses any vital organs and arteries, being shot from it should be perfectly recoverable. A sling bullet damages a larger area, and thus increases the chance of hitting something vital.

Kekkuli said:
well why bows its just because arrow is sharper than the stone and good archer is surely more accurate than slinger from far distance. sometimes they may have used other projectiles than stones but usually stones, so who would carry dozens of stones in pocket all the time? arrows take less room and dont weight so much.
Stones can be found in situ. They're handy that way. But typically, slingers would bring their own supply. Handmade bullets are far more accurate -- and damaging. And because stones are heavier than arrows, as you pointed out, slingers are not as useful in offense as they are in defense.

Kissaki said:
An4Sh said:
Kissaki said:
An4Sh said:
Bows are simple and cheap, perfect.

Yes but you can hit your self in the head by one too lowering it to awesome.
But you can burn your forearm with the bowstring, or maybe even catch your ear with it, lowering the bow to juuust below awesome.
And with the sling you can kill your friend accidently while using it AND can't carry as much ammo as when using a bow and arrows and has a much higher chance of killing you lowering slings to average.

and another thing why everybody in middle age wasnt using a sling is that arrow is much more armor piercing than some rock/bullet in sling. and crossbow is even much more effective/piercing.

Kissaki said:
That would have to be some pretty heavy armour, then. A sling bullet might knock you stone dead even wearing a metal helmet.
Not really. Sufficient padding is all that's really required. An arrow is much more useful mainly due to the fact that it concentrates all of it's power into a much smaller area. It's also more accurate and less likely to be deflected. A sling also lacks the power of a decent bow.

yeah if stone hits you to chest it might hurt like hell but if an arrow hits you to chest/everywhere it makes you badly wounded and you wont be able to fight well anymore.

I think you're underastimating the power of the sling. I'm not going to say how strong they were 'cause I don't know, but I think they were dangerus in the right persons hands.

Archonsod said:
Kissaki said:
That would have to be some pretty heavy armour, then. A sling bullet might knock you stone dead even wearing a metal helmet.
Not really. Sufficient padding is all that's really required. An arrow is much more useful mainly due to the fact that it concentrates all of it's power into a much smaller area. It's also more accurate and less likely to be deflected. A sling also lacks the power of a decent bow.
This is not true. There is far more energy in the sling bullet than in the arrow. Sure, the arrow concentrates its power more (except in the cases where darts are slung), but it won't damage what it doesn't hit. Even though a stone will have a larger contact area, the increased mass more than makes up for it. The sling stone doesn't have to penetrate in order to cause serious damage. And I assure you, it will break bone through padding. This is not a stone which is thrown (which would be bad enough) -- this is a stone which is propelled at far greater speeds through centripetal force. And for centuries, the sling was more powerful than any bow.

I also don't know why you would say that an arrow is harder to deflect than a sling bullet. An arrow has a longer body, and as such is easier to deflect than a small, round (or pointed) object. As for accuracy, I'm not sure you should discount the sling so easily. One of the benefits with the sling is precicely the accuracy in the hands of an experienced slinger.

Kekkuli said:
yeah if stone hits you to chest it might hurt like hell but if an arrow hits you to chest/everywhere it makes you badly wounded and you wont be able to fight well anymore.
If someone throws a stone at your chest it might hurt like hell. If someone slings a stone at your chest you might be dead. Slingers were used extensively until bows got powerful enough to reliably penetrate armour, because the slings both had greater range and greater force of impact than an arrow, and did not have to penetrate armour in order to damage what was behind it.

An4Sh said:
Kissaki said:
An4Sh said:
Kissaki said:
An4Sh said:
Bows are simple and cheap, perfect.

Yes but you can hit your self in the head by one too lowering it to awesome.
But you can burn your forearm with the bowstring, or maybe even catch your ear with it, lowering the bow to juuust below awesome.
And with the sling you can kill your friend accidently while using it AND can't carry as much ammo as when using a bow and arrows and has a much higher chance of killing you lowering slings to average.
He wasn't a very good friend anyway. He had it coming.

Back
Top Bottom