Ogrecorps' Economic Overhaul (Digest Version)

Users who are viewing this thread

With respect to the historical accuracy of the game, it would be nice if trading and starting enterprises were more interesting sources of income. Because of fluctuating prices for pretty much everything but velvet the player who wants 'set and forget' enterprises is forced to go with that since keeping other options supplied and/or selling off their goods at the most profitable locations is incredibly time-consuming. Trading around the map is fun but for many goods it seems like the best buying price is too close to the best selling price when the unpredictable variances in said prices occur. I keep seeing most of the goods available for prices too similar to bother with leaving iron and salt as the two most reliable goods: they are produced cheaply and consistently in certain places and consumed hungrily elsewhere. It's gotten to the point that I don't look at other goods when I come into a town trading.

In essence, IMHO, the commercial side of Warband consists entirely of setting up dyeworks everywhere but Jelkala, and trading in just a few goods in the same places. I have wandered the forum extensively and brought together here a whole bunch of ideas I like for fixing this issue.

For ease of reading I have provided a digest version of the ideas detailed in the Assemblage below. Some of it won't really make sense without the details but this is just to give the broad strokes of each concept. The '--->' symbol means that the next idea is dependent in some form on the idea above it, basically that the first idea carries over into the next one. The abbreviation 'PC' means 'player character.' I point this out because I refer to the player and the player character separately on purpose. This is to show what efforts the player has to go through in-game to achieve what benefits for their character. Each idea in this digest is linked to a separate thread to discuss that one idea.

Concept  Player Gives  Player Gets
Sir Smokey-inspired Town and Merchant Prosperity --->
Cities and merchants have a prosperity rating that can be affected by PC investments. 
Investments in merchants  Better goods, more merchant money available, profit on caravans, more tax revenue, improved relation with city.
Guild Masters as Merchant Banks --->
Guild masters act as banks, holding money until the PC or a companion comes to get it. Too much money for too long in a city with poor relations to PC causes some to be lost. 
Risk of having funds skimmed, interest on loans  Realism, access to loans of increasing size
Companion Caravans --->
Companions can be entrusted with caravans and given detailed instructions that include picking up coin from guild masters and making deliveries both to and from enterprises. 
Goods, cash, time and effort spent studying prices and plotting a trade route, risks degrading city relations with too much success  Trade caravans that double as a personal courier service to deliver goods and coin
Traveling Merchant's Ledger --->
A book that allows a player to track goods prices, transactions, trade routes, and all the events of a companion caravan's journey. 
Money to book merchant, traveling to towns  Ability to track all financial matters involved in, is required to plot instructions for and dispatch companion caravans.
Shifting Trade Patterns
The economic conditions vary slightly - just like the politics already do - from game to game. With the Traveling Merchant's Ledger finding the primary producers of a good will not be too difficult but without it this is probably a wasted idea. 
Always knowing from game to game what is produce where.  Realism, replayability. 
Buying/Selling Arms, Armor, and Horses
When a lord is raising troops demand for arms and armor goes up a little bit across all friendly cities but it's best to sell directly to him. 
Money to merchants  Highly lucrative trade good when the correct (recently beaten) lord is found.
Trading outside Calradia
PC may invest in royal trade expeditions to places unnamed for profit. 
Invests in expedition  Cut of the profits and, barring the rare but unavoidable disaster, there are always profits.
Merchant of War
Allows a player a wide range of tools to use wealth to manipulate and even destroy factions. 
Countless large investments  The power to, through use of dastardly plots and a whole lot of money, crush the whole world in his/her palm.
Ingolifs-Inspired Village Rework
Villages can be set the tasks of becoming richer or stronger or a combination of those two. 
Numerous investments, some time and effort  Better recruits, more and better trade, more tax revenue.
City Investments
Improve city prosperity and recruit quality. 
Investments  More tax income, better city recruits, more soldiers during sieges.

In another thread is the Assemblage, the detailed collection of ideas that make up my personal vision for improving the economic system of M&B Warband. I have incorporated a number of other people's ideas and given them credit. Since it is MY PERSONAL VISION I will not be including ideas I do not like. If you have something new start a thread so it can be discussed properly, on its own, and post the link in a comment below, I'll take a look.

Check out his threads in the Privy Council for an even more impressive presentation. I'll need to postpone reading that untill I can do so comfortably without a rush though. At first glance, I'm liking a lot of the ideas.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Formidable presentation, nicely done sir.
AWdeV said:
Check out his threads in the Privy Council for an even more impressive presentation. I'll need to postpone reading that untill I can do so comfortably without a rush though. At first glance, I'm liking a lot of the ideas.

Thank you, thank you, good sirs. I accept humbly the generous accolades of not one but TWO grandmaster knights! I would normally be asleep right now but for some indigestion. It is, however comforting to see that SOMEbody replied SOMEwhere and not just ANYwhere but the mod construction forum! That brightens my night significantly  :grin:

I think it would be really cool if you were a vassal and your King asked you to finance/help finance the next war in return for X (x = fief, repayment, prisoners, troops, items, renown, title, marriage into family etc etc). The economics of war have been greatly overlooked in the game.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
I think it would be really cool if you were a vassal and your King asked you to finance/help finance the next war in return for X (x = fief, repayment, prisoners, troops, items, renown, title, marriage into family etc etc). The economics of war have been greatly overlooked in the game.
Honestly I hadn't considered such options being offered, I concentrated more on forcing them out of people after they didn't pay up, an absurd option against royalty. If it's alright with you I'll be integrating your suggestions into the money-lending section.
Akita said:
Nicely done indeed, Keep up the good work.
Thank you, thank you... Now that I've recovered from some god awful stomache bug I'll be dredging through the forum searching for more to add.

Politicians have Diplomacy, tacticians have PBOD.
Will this end up being the modders' great gift to merchants?
I hope so.

Felonious said:
Politicians have Diplomacy, tacticians have PBOD.
Will this end up being the modders' great gift to merchants?
I hope so.

Ohhh I hope so too! I jumped on Warband instead of M&B because of the enterprises. I had grand dreams of being a medieval power broker through political, military, and financial means but was serverely disappointed to find that those enterprise options all boiled down to "Dyeworks everywhere but Jelkala."

On a related note, you all might keep checking the individual idea threads in the Privy Council forum (just follow the links above) since they are evolving a bit at a time as the discussions continue. The biggest addition so far is the option to apply the native caravan AI to companion caravans and/or use a generic caravan master with low trade skill to lead them.

Ogrecorps said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Honestly I hadn't considered such options being offered, I concentrated more on forcing them out of people after they didn't pay up, an absurd option against royalty. If it's alright with you I'll be integrating your suggestions into the money-lending section.
Akita said:
Thank you, thank you... Now that I've recovered from some god awful stomache bug I'll be dredging through the forum searching for more to add.

Absolutely ok!  :mrgreen:

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Ogrecorps said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Akita said:

Absolutely ok!  :mrgreen:

Good! Cause I already did it! Your quote is right in the middle.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
good luck!

Thank you! This whole project - since posting - has actually been better recieved than I expected, especially in this forum. I placed this same digest in a few other places and have gotten some nibbles but nothing like here and this is probably the best place for these ideas to be implemented quickly.

Edit: I have incorporated the loan concept (can't believe I didn't remember that I wanted it before!) I encountered in the newest Floris Mod Pack into Guildmasters as Merchant Banks but without depositing into interest bearing accounts and with a few other tweeks.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
cool, let us know if this "mod" is included anywhere or its development etc etc  :smile:
I most certainly will. And if any of you have specific trees I should be barking up, forums I should be agitating let me know!

Ogrecorps said:
Uhtred Ragnarson said:
cool, let us know if this "mod" is included anywhere or its development etc etc  :smile:
I most certainly will. And if any of you have specific trees I should be barking up, forums I should be agitating let me know!

Edit: Okay, an update already... Cromcrom of the Rigale mod and Duh and Caba'drin of the Floris Mod Pack have all shown interest! Since I'm giving the ideas away for free and can't help by coding I doubt I'll know if/when they start to move on anything in particular but it's swell to be appreciated!

Edit-edit: It just occured to me that this thread is IN the mod construction forum and the Floris Mod Pack is exactly that: a collection of mods. If someone here took this project on and did it well it could conceivably find itself in the Pack or included in some other mods entirely... GOD I WISH I KNEW HOW TO CODE!!

Back
Top Bottom