What Are Your Best Europe 1805 Formation Tactics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonMG

Knight
How do you utilize the current 1805 AI system to make it simulate real Napoleonic battles?  I'm starting a new thread so as not to derail any other discussions.

I'm curious as to how some people are pulling this off because I've seen it mentioned in other threads that they have managed to make it seem closer to actual rifle/musket warfare.  Part of me wonders if they're either exaggerating results (not an insult), or simply playing a little bit of make believe in their own mind as to what's being displayed on their monitors.

I have the AI system enabled in the Camp menu yet the enemy will always just do the Native clump charge to about 50m then stop and fire in a horde formation.

My own troops I have placed into 3 companies, Guard, 1st, and 2nd, and I generally start by setting them to "line" formation and either increase or decrease the density in order to attempt to replicate an actual line formation or skirmish formation.  However, this seldom yields an authentic feel to the battle.  I basically end up with a long line of staggered men firing at a horde in the middle.    And is it just me or does form squares end up looking like anything but a square?

Is it simply not possible to code in proper formations with the M&B engine?  Is it possible to add the crouching feature in from 1866?

How do you attempt to get the desired results of an authentic battle, and how realistic does the result seem to you?

Sorry but I had to change the name of the thread, you are not authorized to use the [Europe 1805] tag. It's for Berthout only.

Well my favourate tactic is to line up my troops in a big line so they cover my escape just perfectly. :roll:

Yeah I have the same issue you do. Enemy infantry just forms into massive clump of men and charges... no matter if they're defending or attacking, and regardless of how many men they have (they all russians or something?). So often I find trying to outflank or hold my position is redundant. because all my allies seem to do is just charge.

I will note, however, that the AI cavalry seems to take to the new formations rather well. I often find that large groups of cavalry will form into two wedges, charge the flanks push on through, then regroup and repeat. I would also like to note that I have found the Square formation rather effective against melee based cavalry. Even though it resembles more of a group of men bunched up closely together, than it does a square! Not so effective against dragoons though... last time i tried square against dragoons the end result was a total massacre on my side, so much so that I rage cheated (which I am ashamed to admit, but i cant change what happened).

Overall my verdict is this.. When faced with predominantly infantry centric forces, go to camp and turn AI formations off. AI infantry react better that way imo... but if your facing Cavalry centric forces (like a company of Hussars maybe with some infantry.. doesnt really matter), then turn on AI formations. allowes for a much more visually pleasing battle without getting totally raped by massive cav charge if you're and infantry lover like me :grin:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom