General thoughts and others

Users who are viewing this thread

The gain of throwing weapons is indeed a little annoying. After getting all kinds of them I happened to pick up in the last round I tend to feel like a gypsy when I have to get rid of all this stuff  :grin:

But from what I have seen the amount of thrown weapons players use is still relativly small. If you read some descriptions of the battles in Britain you get a very different idea of their strategies...

This article for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_warfare
mentions how they used to stand in their formations just beyond throwing range, while the bravest warriors would run up to the enemy formation and throw their spears at them. A few men of the enemy formation would in turn leave the formation to attack them, so there were always a select few fighting between the shieldwalls in hope of capturing their killed opponents weapons and armor. Considering our modern idea of braveness it appears a little lame, but leaving the shieldwall like that must have felt a little uncomfortable, especially if you were later dragged around by the victorious enemy in front of your comrades...

Unfortunately warband doesn't really give any motivation to keep formation and watch your mates fight, and maybe it is good that way...

But for some reason archers must have been really unpopular. Apart from Harald Hardrada being struck by an arrow in the neck there are only few references to the use of bows. In my opinion they could even be further weakened or bring some kind of tactical disadvantage...

Btw. lactose, your name is brilliant  :smile:

They already are weak and have a tactical disadvantage. The disadvantage being that your team is as susceptible to your arrows as the foe is.

Also, norman throwing spears are bad. I feel, that riding at full tilt and tossing a spear, that it should at least kill that unarmored footman. Maybe give the Conroi more PT?

yeah, but i hit them in the chest! And i only get 1! it's not fair for them to shrug off damage like that!

Edit: i have an idea. Maybe disarms could be implemented in some way?

Say a hit modifier for the arms that rolls a dice, based on damage received, and if yes drops the wielded weapon?

A_Mustang said:
yeah, but i hit them in the chest! And i only get 1! it's not fair for them to shrug off damage like that!
Was it a berserkr?

Also, I just had something funny involving throwing spears (though mine were viking, it turned out) and conroi. Someone ran straight at me on his horse while I already had the spear ready for throwing. Easiest horse-killing ever.

FrisianDude said:
Also, I just had something funny involving throwing spears (though mine were viking, it turned out) and conroi. Someone ran straight at me on his horse while I already had the spear ready for throwing. Easiest horse-killing ever.

That's how I kill alot of horses, either that or by the time they notice I have a throwing weapon, they turn and I throw it into the side of their horse. I just think some people are blind and don't notice the guy they are riding directly at, has his arm cocked back ready to throw a lump of death at their horse. Throwing weapons > Horse.

Of course, but it seems the average horseman finds throwing weapons less threatening and ride directly at them, where as they see the spears and pole-axes and do a u-turn or simply employ the thrust and turn maneuver.

I'd also have to say that throwing weapons are better than Spears and pole-axes vs cav, simply because only the longest of spears are that good for fighting against a decent cavalry player, a good cavalry player will just turn and thrust, keeping himself out of your range and either hit or miss you, to turn around and do it again.

FrisianDude said:
A_Mustang said:
Was it a berserkr?

Naw, it was one of those saxon footmen. Beserkers might not die, but that's fine. The problem is that the footmen and archers don't die when their hit from a spear from a mounted (And riding at full tilt at the enemy) conroi. This is by contrasts one-hit kills from a viking Hersir with Viking throwing spears while stationary against the same targets.

Hello!

i feel it would be great to get all of my thoughts and praises about this mod in one good post.

what truly makes me love this mod are:
-amibance/sound effects (birds, creaking pines, war horns, war cries)
-arrow effects (there are no more ugly brown streaks that look like worms gliding through the air!)
-banner effects (makes people work togeather more)
-viking ship battles!
-bow retextures

what else i would love to see:
-more ship battles/raids (maybe have the ships cirle eachother at about 20 meters apart before meeting to see arrows whizzing to and fro to the ships!)
-larger ships (platforms for archers to fire from, i dont know if that is historically accurate for vikings though)
-bow retexture on Rus Bow (native is ugly rubber looking model)
-self bow scaled down a little (at the moment it is the length of an actual longbow, self bows would be a the length in between the shortbow and longbow)
                            self bows: 
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Flatbow%2C_poor_quality_yew1small.jpg)

(http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php%3Faction%3Dmedia%3Bsa%3Dmedia%3Bin%3D6107%3Bpreview&imgrefurl=http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php%3Faction%3Dmedia%3Bsa%3Ditem%3Bin%3D6107sort%3D2&usg=__K-zsTK5A41ee4Td-HyiQGZeNRvg=&h=640&w=480&sz=44&hl=en&start=38&zoom=0&tbnid=z14HW2no4VZBuM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=103&ei=ifVCTZGODMKblgfpv-xE&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dself%2Bbow%2Blength%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1R2WZPC_enUS382%26biw%3D1596%26bih%3D727%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=156&oei=gvVCTeP9KYet8Abc6rnFAQ&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=42&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:38&tx=31&ty=94)
-possible warcries specific to each faction)

The mod is already amazing. i was not sure if these were things on you mind. hopefully they were! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom