Old thread (locked)

What faction are you most excited to see on the battlefield?

• U.S. Cavalry

Votes: 643 35.9%
  • U.S. Settlers

Votes: 286 16.0%
  • Mexicans

Votes: 248 13.8%
  • Apache

Votes: 439 24.5%
  • Comanche

Votes: 176 9.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dryvus said:
Are there going to be ponchos?
Corrently there is just one. It's a very small one, because ponchos that reach lower than the breast are quite impossable to rig well to the M&B skeleton.
Everyone is welcome to prove me wrong by making one.

insomniac said:
German Pinfire Revolver
French Pinfire Revolver

Hmm, i don't know if those are widely sold in U.S those times. If not, the troops shoudn't have it. Only the player.

and i wonder are there any Cap and Ball Revolver in the list.  :smile:  (i guess the remington in the list?)
Colada mentioned the Remington in his list. Yes, the Pinfore Revolvers will only be used by NPC heroes or by the player. As far as I know The Colt Army 1860 and Navy 1851 are both Cap & Ball revolvers.
Penis Colada said:
Willie_Feo said:
I had an idea for some inventory items.  These would just need inventory icons and would not need models.  They would give bonuses to certain skills.
Anyone know where all that stuff Buxton modeled a while ago went, like that Whitney revolver?
He didn't texture it, yet, I think.
Pellidon said:
if possible, i'd like to throw my name in as a tester even though i never contribute much of anything :lol:

and also, someone asked for weapon suestions a few pages back; it might be easier to suggest if someone compiles a list of what has already been done or is in progress. that way it will be easier to tell what all is missing. although you guys are churning out so much content, i'm sure there are a few cool weapons that are missing.
Adding you to the testers list.
But I will surely not put together a list of all models that have been made. That would be a few 100s. As I said before feel free to suggest weapons.
It's the easiest way if the person that wants to model something for the mod posts here and asks if this needed.
Morgoth2005 said:
Highlander said:
By the way: Are there any more scene builders (ingame editor)? I don't think Morgoth wants to make every 14 towns and the forts himself. :razz:

Wild West towns, hey how hard can they be? :razz: Generic buildings, a couple of streets at most. Maybe a saloon and a sheriff's office. Forts - harder. But will do as much as I can although I get less and less time each week. I'll do what can.
Okay, good to hear that.
yellowmosquito said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but from a screenshot that highlander recently posted, it looked like the gatling gun was already making use of the accomplisments from Magic Mod. 

Oh, did anyone mention that there is dynamite in the game too?    (but it isn't exploding yet )

Imaging the casulties if some troops carry that by default!  :twisted:
Magic Mod? I haven't used anything from there.  Is there a simular machine gun? I didn't play it.
BTW: You probably didn't know it, you can access it by pressing "G" in battle, moving it with the arrow keys and shooting with "F". I still need to restrict that script so that the player has to be near the gun.
Throwing dynamite didn't work as I wanted it to. It'll be removed.

Willie_Feo said:
yellowmosquito said:
I suggest borrowing what we need from the bandit king source.  They've had this built in for some time already. 
Sooner or later, maybe. I'll look at the source code some time.
The problem is that right now you kind of just collect enemy NPCs or sell them to their rivals, but I'm sure that will be ironed out in time.  Bandit king also allows you to attack neutral parties, towns and castles (a must for raiding) and join in on fights that are already in progress.  It also lets you capture castles and towns on your own.  I'm not sure if we need/want all of those features, but its complete open source and we can take what we need.  :smile:

By the way, Bandit King is in beta now, but there are lots of people testing it, and Ashes42 is doing a great job keeping up with the work.  By the time we have most of our issues ironed out, there should be a very stable release of bandit king that we could leverage.

I like Bandit King and I endorse the idea of borrowing some of the features.  One feature I DO NOT like from BK, is that when you are nonallied and you raid one faction's caravans or towns, ALL of them consider you an outlaw.  This makes for some very tedious rounds of trying to sneak into cities and you spend most of your denars buying off rulers of factions you need to deal with.

I also would like to see you borrow NPC death and character traits (adapted for Western setting) from TLD.  If you knock down an enemy leader in TLD, you may kill him, just as when fighting regular troops.  Your NPCS have a chance of wounds, capture or death whenever you get knocked out.  But you guys probably already know all these details.
I'm very much against NPC death. I don't like it if the game runs out of NPCs just because they die. Maybe NPC imprisoning might be a good idea to steal from TLD, though.
Other features that might be nice to co-opt, unless you have already worked them out on your own, would be fire and explosives effects from the Magic Mod or the late Gallipoli mod.  The exploding barrels of Gallipoli would be a great mix with the Gatling Gun.
Exploding boxes of dynamite are already implemented. Not for the usuall battles, yet, though.
Something that I noticed about the effect of guns in the old Liberty or Death .808 mod worried me.  I usually suffer more casualties from my own men shooting each other in the head in Liberty or Death, than I do from the enemy, but that did not seem to be a problem in Diabelica's Firearms Mod, PLUS we .903 users now have commands like 'spread out'.  So friendly fire in 1866 hopefully won't be too lethal.
In .903 ranged units don't shot each other anymore. It didn't happen to me more often than one or two times.
Willie_Feo said:
yellowmosquito said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but from a screenshot that highlander recently posted, it looked like the gatling gun was already making use of the accomplisments from Magic Mod. 

Oh, did anyone mention that there is dynamite in the game too?    (but it isn't exploding yet )

Whoops!  I forgot that little fireball at the Gatling's muzzle!

Penis, the big knife is so cool.  I am definitely going to be using that.  Can't wait to see the LeMat!

Highlander said:
Willie_Feo said:
The old 'capture messenger' quest could be revised with a western slant.
Don't remember a capture messenger quest, but that would be a good idea, indeed.

I meant the 'Capture Noble' quest.  I  was thinking of TLD where they changed it to 'Capture messenger'.
Okay, I see.
I love the buffalo screenshot!  Too bad there wasn't a way to tie the Indians' strength to the number of buffalo available.  This would simulate the US tactic of weakening the tribes by destroying their livelihood.
That is possable, but I don't know how to make it realisticly. It would be rubbish, if the player would be able to kill off the buffalos all by himself.
By the way, the teepees look perfect for the Comanches, but the Apaches (most of the bands) did not use them.  Apaches mainly lived in Wickiups.  They were primitive shelters of brush and sticks. They looked alot like Native M&B haystacks with doors:
By the way: have Apaches and Comanches both lived as nomads or did the Apaches kind of settle down? It might be nice to have a nomadic tribe and one with static villages.
insomniac said:
i am volunteer to be a beta tester. I am not an old M&B player though.
Recruited.
Edit:
Penis Colada said:
Oh, I would like to be a tester.
As a team member you'll have access to the closed releases anyway.

The Apaches moved around some, but not nearly as much as the Plains tribes like the Comanche.  The Plains people were always following the buffalo herds.  The Apache could easily be made to be sedentary.

If you are going to make that Wild Bunch gatling gun scenario I mentioned, you MUST put a couple of exploding dynamite boxes in the Mexican village!  It would be spectacular! 

I think that Kosc guy had a costume in his western mod that sort of looked like the Clint Eastwood poncho from the Dollars trilogy.  His thread should still be on this site and his videos are on Youtube if you want to have a look at it.

Can someone tell me if there's a scene building tutorial and/or give me tips on what I would need to download to scene build?  I have two weeks off starting Monday that I could learn this in, and scene building sounds like it would be lots of fun.  Can't promise yet, though.  The wife might spring some time wasting activity on me.

No chance of me being a tester eh? hehehehehehehehe

Anyway..Someone told me when your loading a shotgun it opens?! Is this true  :shock:

Highlander said:
yellowmosquito said:

Magic Mod? I haven't used anything from there.  Is there a simular machine gun? I didn't play it.
BTW: You probably didn't know it, you can access it by pressing "G" in battle, moving it with the arrow keys and shooting with "F". I still need to restrict that script so that the player has to be near the gun.
Throwing dynamite didn't work as I wanted it to. It'll be removed.

Okay, I'll try out the gatling gun later and check out the effects.

By the way, you should look into the magic mod source before you remove the dynamite.  Mirathei succeeded in creating targeted explosions that do damage to a range of nearby enemies.  This is exactly what we would need for dynamite.  Look at it here.  It probably isn't all that different from your exploding dynamite, and it may help you control the range of the exploding dynamite boxes better.  (Everytime I shoot one, I die no matter where I am standing)

Willie_Feo said:
Can someone tell me if there's a scene building tutorial and/or give me tips on what I would need to download to scene build?  I have two weeks off starting Monday that I could learn this in, and scene building sounds like it would be lots of fun.  Can't promise yet, though.  The wife might spring some time wasting activity on me.

Willie_Feo, you are awesome.  :smile:  (I have never worked on scenes, so I'm not the best to give advice, but I did want to say thanks for offering to try!)
EDIT: I like the suggestions for inventory items as well.

To the future beta testers - Please do your best to think of ways you can help in addition to beta testing.  We are a community here, and the more you can lend a hand, the better the game will be (and the faster you'll be able to play it).  Please also consider adding one of the 1866 banners to your signature if you have not already to help publicize the mod.  You can find them on the first page.

Jackamo said:
No chance of me being a tester eh? hehehehehehehehe
Yes, you can. We have 10 testers now. I think I'll stop the recruitment. Very active members that are not in the list yet, might still be recruited later.
Jackamo said:
Anyway..Someone told me when your loading a shotgun it opens?! Is this true  :shock:
Yes, I thought it would look stupid if it didn't.

yellowmosquito said:
Okay, I'll try out the gatling gun later and check out the effects.

By the way, you should look into the magic mod source before you remove the dynamite.  Mirathei succeeded in creating targeted explosions that do damage to a range of nearby enemies.  This is exactly what we would need for dynamite.  Look at it here.  It probably isn't all that different from your exploding dynamite, and it may help you control the range of the exploding dynamite boxes better.  (Everytime I shoot one, I die no matter where I am standing)
I'm pretty sure I have thought of all possabilities to implement throwing dynamite. I guess the magic mod doesn't have any actual mesh that is thrown or just a particle system, because it is pretty much impossable to determine where the item hits the ground or a troop.
Willie_Feo said:
You have to enable Edit Mode using "configure" on the M&B start screen and then use first "Alt+Enter" to get into windowed mode and then "Ctrl+E" in the scene you want to edit. Most things are self explaining. Use "g" to move objects on the same high level and "t" to move it up or down. All other things should be easy. If you have problems, feel free to ask.

BTW: I just finished the "The Searchers" rescue girl quest. Should the player know where he can find the Comanche party that kidnapped her or should he have to search for them? The quest is given by a ranch master (should the "village elder" be renamed to "ranch master"?; the villages to ranches?).

Stavaas said:
Can I be on the tester list as well? :wink:
Yes. Sure.
If you are still looking for a modeling job, I could actually need some signs for banks, stores, hotel, etc that can be put on buildings like this:
th2.jpg

Greg the khergit said:
Can i be tester aswell? I am very interested in this mod, and i would get a heart-attack if i could not play it soon!  :eek: :wink:
Sorry, but no. We have enough testers and only contributors or members that were very active in this thread will still be recruited.

what about assasination quests? "nervous man" i mean. If anyone would try to talk to him, he would be killed instantly i think

insomniac said:
what about assasination quests? "nervous man" i mean. If anyone would try to talk to him, he would be killed instantly i think

These could also be expanded into posse extermination quests.  Think about Wyatt Earp going after the cowboy gang (red scarves) in Tombstone and taking them down piece by piece.

I think you would want to encounter many of them at a time so there would be a challenge , and probably just with your party as Highlander suggested for other types of quests though.

Highlander said:

Shotgun loading =  :shock:  :grin:  WOW!

Thanks for the editing info, Highlander.  I guess I would need access to the 1866 files to get all the new objects?  I will practice editing Native scenes this weekend.

RE; Searchers Quest.  NO!  Don't tell us!  We should have to travel all over the West to find her just like John Wayne did!  It took him 10 years to find the girl.   Make us work to find her.  Just tell us if they were Apache or Comanche indians.

Villages and ranches are very different.  I think maybe change the name village to town and town to city.  Think of places like Dodge City, etc.  Westerners liked to overestimate their communities!  Ranches could maybe be seperate places, like the Four Ways Inn or Salt Mines were.

Village Elder could become 'Mayor'

On the American cowboy troop tree, I had suggested "Ranch Foreman" but now I think "Trail Boss" sounds cooler.  Don't bother changing it if it's too much work.

I was about to ask if there were anymore openings for beta-testing, but there seems like there isn't.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the first release then.

I'd love there to be proper shootouts, like with everyone waiting, and then suddenly everyone draws. And that there might be a good chance of you dieing... dunno how to implement that though. Rather than jsut large pileup in the main street. To really implement that western theme.

Can you do a trigger that the AI will not pull out a weapon unless you do?

Or could you do a timer trigger? The npc you face has a different draw time, (like it takes them a full second to take out their weapon or a half second)

Highlander said:
Stavaas said:
Can I be on the tester list as well? :wink:
Yes. Sure.
If you are still looking for a modeling job, I could actually need some signs for banks, stores, hotel, etc that can be put on buildings like this:
th2.jpg

Sure, I can get something like that done this weekend I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom