Mount&Musket: Guide and FAQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
General FAQ and Good-to-know stuff

1. What is Mount&Musket - Battalion?

Mount&Musket - Battalion, commonly abbreviated to Mount&Musket or MM is a modification for Mount&Blade Warband. It is currently Multiplayer only, but includes custom battle and there might be Singleplayer in the future (don’t make suggestions about it).

2. What is the time frame of this mod?

The mod is set between around 1812 and 1815, and the uniforms will reflect that. We have, however, tried to give each faction troops with easily noticeable or recognised uniforms - it won't be hard to realise what type of troop you are facing once you familiarise yourself with the uniforms.

3. What game modes are there?

There is normal Battle, but we have also developed a much improved Conquest mode which is played on our servers as well. Other Warband modes such as Deathmatch and CTF also works and have been improved, but are not played on the official servers. There are also organised battles known as line battles (see below) which could be considered an extra game mode. We hope to develop more game modes further in the future.

4. What is a line battle?

A line battle is a mode where both sides, essentially, line up into companies and shoot at each other, like in the Napoleonic Wars. Mostly line infantry is used, but also skirmishers, artillery and cavalry appear in those battles as well. There is a public Line Battle event set up every Monday at 7 PM GMT or BST and a Regimental Line Battle event at sunday 7 PM GMT. Futhermore the community regiments are setting up line battles between each other on a frequent basis. More about regiments in question 10.Additionally, large Official Line Battle events that aim to re-enact famous battles of the era appear from time to time and those are generally open to the public to some extent. Keep a look out for those!

5. Why isn't this faction in?

We currently only have four factions included, France, Britain, Prussia and Russia. More factions will be developed in the future, and the major European ones of the Napoleonic era are top priority. Please don't make suggestions for new factions; we currently have a fairly clear view of what we want to do in the near future and developing entire factions takes its time.

6. I don't understand what these units are? Help!

Hold you mouse for a few seconds over the regiment name and a small tool tip will appear telling you the unit type. Selecting the regiment will give further information as to what equipment the unit has.

7. What factions are currently planned?

Future factions are either secret or not decided. But eventually we will include all major factions of the era.

8. Is this mod both single player and multiplayer?

No. We are currently multiplayer-only, with the exception of custom battles. There might be singleplayer in the future (don’t make suggestions about it).

9. What are regiments?

Regiments are organised groups of players who participate in events and to play together. Most regiments meet once or several times a week to train formations and discipline.
The most disciplined regiments are allowed to join the Sunday 250 player Line Battle. If you're interested in joining a regiment to take part in those, go here.
If you're interested in setting up a regiment to take part in events, you should read this and this.

10. I can’t find the Sunday Line Battle rules!

Here it is

11. I want to participate in the Monday Line Battle, but I can’t find any information!

Here it is

12. Will this mod be ported to WFaS?

No, we see no reason for this.

13. Why is there no grenades?

Grenades weren't used any more in the Napoleonic times, except rarely in naval battles. They are also very hard to balance for game play. That is why there is no grenades.

14. Britain needs more cavalry! Maybe add lancers?

We are expanding on the troop trees and this issue will be addressed. And no, we will never add lancers for Britain.

15. Add this unit please!

While you may suggest new units, do search before you suggest. We don't want suggestions of the same units over and over. Keep in mind that we have a quite clear idea of what units we want to add for factions and that adding new ones take a lot of work, so don't be surprised if the answer is no.

16. You haven't replied to my suggestion! Shall I post it again?

No. Spamming a suggestion is the best way of not getting it added, because we get annoyed if you do that. Even if we didn't answer or acknowledge your suggestion, that doesn't mean we haven't read it.

17. CAN IZ HAS JAPAN IN GAME MOD KWAII DESU DESU <333333????////

No.

18. Can I use something from this mod in my own mod?

Everything in Mount & Musket, including without limitation: Uniforms, Shakoes, Weapons, Horses, Coding, Music, Sounds, etc.
Which were originally produced, designed or licensed for Mount & Musket (with the exception of those designs or original works identified as being from Taleworlds, the OSP or other sources and the Warband and Mount & Blade games themselves, which are the property of Taleworlds) is the sole property of the Mount & Musket team and/or their creators and may not be used for any purposes whatsoever without explicit written permission from the Mount & Musket team and/or their creators.

How-to’s and Guides

How do I switch my musket to melee mode?

Press “X”

How do I change back?

Press “X” again...

How do I change my Switch to Melee button?

Go to your options menu; Then go to the Controls tab; Change the key assignment for the option "Toggle Weapon Mode" to whatever button you want.

What is the Crouch button?

“Q”

How do I change my Crouch button?

Go to your options menu; Then go to the Controls tab; Change the key assignment for the option "Crouch Key" to whatever button you want.

What is the Battle Cry button?

“C”

How do I change my Battle Cry button?

Go to your options menu; Then go to the Controls tab; Change the key assignment for the option "Battle Cry" to whatever button you want.

How do I play music?

Make sure you are a musician rank and have your instrument equipped. Then press and hold “P” to open up a menu on the left side of the screen. Click on a track name with your mouse to play that track.
You currently can’t walk while playing an instrument. This is due to engine limitations and can NOT be changed.

How do I stop playing?

Press “P” again or switch weapon. You will also stop playing when hit.

How do I change my Music button?

Go to your options menu; Then go to the Controls tab; Change the key assignment for the option "Play Music" to whatever button you want.

How do the officer voice commands work?

A officer has more voice commands then rankers. They also can use a voice command every 4 seconds.

This is the assignment:
220px-Numpad.svg.png

• / => "Deploy Into Line!"
  • * => "Deploy Into Column!"
  • 7 => "Company Wheel Left"
  • 8 => "Advance!"
  • 9 => "Company Wheel Right"
  • 1 => "Retreat!"
  • 2 => "About Face!"
  • 3 => "I Surrender!"
  • 0 => "Present..... FIRE!"
  • . => "Hold Fire!"
  • Enter => "CHARGE!!"

How do I walk?

Hold “Shift”.

Walk and Zoom is the same! How do I change my Walk button?

You can’t. It is unfortunatly hard coded as it is and there is nothing we can do about it.
Change your Zoom key instead:
Go to your options menu; Then go to the Controls tab; Change the key assignment for the option "Zoom" to whatever button you want.

How does conquest work?

On the map there are a set of flags which your team needs to capture and hold. At the start some of those flags will be controlled by either your team, the enemy or they will be neutral. In order to capture a flag you need to stand close to it while there are no enemies around.
If you hold more flags than the enemy the enemy will lose “ticket” (score points). The goal is to bring the “tickets” of the other team down to zero.

Spawning in Conquest is done around flags. Once you are ready to spawn you will be presented with a flag selection. Press the name of the flag you’d like to spawn nearby and then press “Done”. You have to select a flag controlled by your team (flag ownership is indicated by your factions flag on the map). If your team doesn’t control any flags you can’t spawn, so make sure you don’t lose them!
Spawning is done in waves. Everyone spawns at the same time. That is why sometimes you only have to wait 5 seconds to spawn while at other times you may have to wait 40.

How do I place those barricades?

To place barricades you need to be a skirmisher. You will then have a construction hammer. By throwing this you will spawn a barricade in front of you.
You can only spawn three barricades in total, so be careful where you place them. In modes with respawn you will be able to place new barricades if your team has got less than three spawned. This is not possible in non-respawn modes like battle however.

Crashes: Gathering of Fixes

In big events with a lot of players, some people are still crashing,
This is probably due to our large number of textures and models and we are working on improving this.

For you guys I made a quick list of things you can do to fix your crashes.

1. Load Textures on Demand
A important setting is Load Textures on Demand.
IT MUST BE ON!

When you start Warband click on the "Configure" button;
Configure.png
Make sure that "Load Textures on Demand" is clicked.
Configure2.png
Hit OK.

2. Update Warband
Some people are still running a old version of warband, the latest version is 1.143 Make sure you have it!

If not download it here;
http://www.taleworlds.com/download.aspx?type=2

3. Defragment Hard disk
A funny and important part is that the game can't load the resources fast enough from your hard drive.
To fix this, Use a defragmenting program;

For instance a good and free program is MyDefrag;
Download and install this program:
http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html

Run it and make it defragment your harddrives, what it does is making your loading times shorter, it should fix the problems your having.

4. Update your drivers
Old drivers can get you into lots of trouble, Make sure you get the latest, especially for video card drivers.

If you own a ATI video card look for your latest drivers here;
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

If you own a Nvidia video card look for your latest drivers here;
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

5. Force Single Threading
Some people reported their crashes fixed with this one;
So I throw it out here.

When you start Warband click on the "Configure" button;
Configure.png
Make sure that "Force Single Threading" is clicked.
thread.png
Hit OK.

6. Lower your settings!
Even if your FPS (Frames Per Second) seem to be good on the settings you have, your memory might still get in trouble.
Try turning down some settings, It will probably fix your issues.

Things that are important;
- Texture details.
- Grass/Tree density.
- Model details

We are really putting the engine in its limits, with all these players and high detail materials, Although for the next patch we are probably going to remove all native stuff to make clients not load it. This will be lots of work but will probably help you guys with bad computers.

Mount&Musket: Server Hosting Guide

If you want to host your own server for Mount and Musket then read on!  :smile:

1. Set up a native server
First of all follow this Dedicated Server Guide I made for Native:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113653.0.html

2. Download and install the dedicated server package
Then you will have to download the special Mount & Musket Dedicated server package:
http://www.22nd.eu/MountMusket_Battalion_Server_Beta_0.4.2.zip

Extract the folder "mm russia3" into the "Modules" folder found inside your dedicated server folder.

Then you open up the Start_<gamemode>.bat file with notepad:
Rightmousebutton ==> ''Edit"

Then add after the current starting line:
"-m mm russia3"

3. Configure the server
Your almost done! Now you need a proper config.
I advise you to use this server config template: (it is for battle, edit it to your gamemode and liking)

Code:
set_server_name <YourServerName>
set_pass_admin <YourAdminPassword>
set_welcome_message Welcome to my server!

set_server_log_folder server_logs
set_server_ban_list_file ban_list.txt

# Enable manual blocking at all times in this mod.
set_control_block_direction 1

# I advise to turn on friendly fire, It's realistic.
set_friendly_fire 1
set_melee_friendly_fire 1
set_friendly_fire_damage_friend_ratio 100
set_friendly_fire_damage_self_ratio 0

#setting battle (multiplayer_bt) mode
set_mission multiplayer_bt
set_round_max_seconds 480

# Max players anything between 4-64 players.
set_max_players 64 64

# Add them mappies =)
set_map multi_olafson_farm1
add_map multi_olafson_fort_1
add_map multi_archer_forestpallisade
add_map multi_olafson_house_1
add_map multi_archer_arabianfort
add_map multi_temuzu_lahayesainte
add_map multi_thandrius_highlands
add_map multi_olafson_villages_1
add_map multi_beaver_rivercrossing
add_map multi_thejohan_sjotofta
add_map multi_temuzu_guerrilla
add_map multi_thandrius_stone_quarry
add_map multi_temuzu_beach
add_map multi_olafson_arabianvillage_1
add_map multi_thandrius_taiga
add_map multi_olafson_village_1
add_map multi_olafson_bushland
add_map multi_temuzu_trenchesv2_rain_night
add_map multi_thejohan_swedishtown_snow
add_map multi_temuzu_village_21_rain

#adding all kingdoms to both sides just to randomize all of them
#adding less kingdoms will reduce the randomization set (used in set_randomize_factions command)
add_factions fac_kingdom_1 fac_kingdom_1
add_factions fac_kingdom_2 fac_kingdom_2
add_factions fac_kingdom_3 fac_kingdom_3
add_factions fac_kingdom_4 fac_kingdom_4
set_randomize_factions 1

#since default team point limit is 300, the line below is necessary for this mode
set_team_point_limit 5
set_map_time_limit 30

#No moneys needed in our mod.
set_starting_gold 0
set_round_gold_bonus 0
set_combat_gold_bonus 0

#vote restrictions
set_kick_voteable 0
set_ban_voteable 0
set_factions_voteable 0
set_maps_voteable 0
set_num_bots_voteable 0

# Always enable the default armor for hacking clients.
set_force_default_armor 1
set_ghost_mode 0

set_upload_limit 10000000
set_port 7240

set_add_to_game_servers_list 1

start

Good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom