[WNL8] General Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Scar

Prussian Immortal
Marquis
WNL8-aero-logo-arabic.png

General Discussion

Post your thoughts on the tournament here, discuss whatever is on your mind with the rest of the community. Should you have concrete suggestions for the administration, please use the suggestion thread.​

Last edited:
In the following thread, there was discussion if sound files are allowed to be changed, that is past their current limit on Warband by editing the files. I've also heard some recordings in the past (I believe by Sotamursu? Can't remember) where they've increased the sound of certain audio on horses footsteps, wondering if people have an opinion on this?

I am not saying Waterfall is a great map but I still prefer it by a large margin compared to Desolation Valley or Ruins. I just think Waterfall has been played recently so a lot of people had the time to grow resentment/dislike towards the map and people might want to try something 'new'. I am not too sure how it will turn out tho.

§ 4 Ladder Stage Format
(1) As the name suggests, during the initial ladder stage all divisions will be put into a ladder. Teams will be awarded 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a loss.
(2) Teams are sorted firstly by total points, secondly by their Buchholz score, thirdly by round difference, and lastly by rounds won.
(3) The Buchholz score is a running tally of each team's previous opponents' points from match wins, draws and losses.
(4) Teams will be automatically matched to opponents based on the following criteria: Starting from the bottom of the table, teams on the same points will be selected, with the highest placed team matched against the lowest placed team, the second highest against the second lowest, and so on. Any remaining team is then matched with the team immediately above them that hasn't been matched yet. Then the fixture selection moves to the next set of points, until no team is left.
(5) Teams that have faced each other the previous two weeks will not have a rematch, instead the next closest opponent will be selected.

1. 3 points for a win originated from sports to promote offensive attitude. In warband you can't play defensively and count on 0 - 0 result, thus imo there's no need to punish for a draw. In my opinion it should be 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.
2. If you allow rematches then counting Buchholtz points as a tie-breaker is not fair. I pointed it out numerous times in previous tournaments.
3. Teams should be paired from top to bottom. The whole point of swiss system is to select TopX teams as accurately as possible. Pairing from bottom you rather trying to select BottomX teams accurately.

Desolation Valley is a
Desolation valley is a great map everyone vote for it please

This. Waterfall is good, though I do prefer a true open map rather than a mixed map and It's always nice to see an old map be placed into the map pool, especially since some of the coolest matches have been played on that map (AE vs IR, AE vs aD).

Never again please :sad:

That just makes me miss MB_tv

There must be a way in which we can involve all of the free agents, there's over 60 and 99% of them won't be picked up.

Last edited:

1. 3 points for a win originated from sports to promote offensive attitude. In warband you can't play defensively and count on 0 - 0 result, thus imo there's no need to punish for a draw. In my opinion it should be 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.
2. If you allow rematches then counting Buchholtz points as a tie-breaker is not fair. I pointed it out numerous times in previous tournaments.
3. Teams should be paired from top to bottom. The whole point of swiss system is to select TopX teams as accurately as possible. Pairing from bottom you rather trying to select BottomX teams accurately.
As discussed on Steam, we'll have a look at this and announce potential changes shortly.

Hey folks, forgive for the stupid question. I was looking at the rules and it doesn't state how teams match up in the first weeks. Will we match up our selves until mid season?

Hey folks, forgive for the stupid question. I was looking at the rules and it doesn't state how teams match up in the first weeks. Will we match up our selves until mid season?

Week 1 fixtures are randomised and then teams are matched with the opponent with most similar results to them.

While given the size of the tournament and especially division C I can see why you would remove rematches. However, I think that some of those rematches made for some of the best matches of division C. Specifically, I remember both matches between Senate and Dayne going to the wire and being relatively hyped up. Despite the second one being a rematch I would argue it was more entertaining for all parties than the rest of the division C matches that I remember, part of that came from the rematch value too. Not really trying to be a malcontent here, just a thought on the new rule change.

While given the size of the tournament and especially division C I can see why you would remove rematches. However, I think that some of those rematches made for some of the best matches of division C. Specifically, I remember both matches between Senate and Dayne going to the wire and being relatively hyped up. Despite the second one being a rematch I would argue it was more entertaining for all parties than the rest of the division C matches that I remember, part of that came from the rematch value too. Not really trying to be a malcontent here, just a thought on the new rule change.
I can definitely see where you are coming from, judging from my own experience rematches were often quite exciting to play just because of the history of the matchup. We have decided to go for this change based on feedback we have received from Harman. Based on that I've already written an explanation as to why rematches are bad for the sorting system we have in place, see here in detail. Looking at the divisions, we believe they are even more balanced than during WNL7 (where as you said some teams were quite far ahead of the rest in Division C), so we hope that all matches will prove to be exciting challenges.

Didn't really know where to post it, maybe it's more fitting in 'Livestreams' since its a media, so feel free to move it where you see fit.

Either way, hope you enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom