Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

What happens to people currently living in Russia and feeling they're being screwed?
They carry on.

Actually, to think of it, that's how revolutions work here.
First intelligentsia rises against an oppressive and unpopular regime (cue February revolution in 1917), then power crisis ensues and bydlo rises because it can (cue October revolution in 1917).

Odessa's police station has been attacked and 30 of the separatists that participated in 2 May's violence have been released from custody. The tragic and still confusing fire at the Trade Building is now a bargaining chip for the demonstrators that survived or are otherwise associated with the victims and the police now appear subject to mob rule. Yatsenyuk promised there would be changes in Odessa's police leadership.

140504-ukraine-hg-1006_faa1614b246b35501a360a1ed0fa74c3.nbcnews-ux-960-700.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27276120

I'm following a journalist who tweets about current Odessa developments. These tweets are from respectively 20, 15, 13 and 11 minutes ago.
Odessa city centre is eerily quiet, lots of cafés shut. Gangs of men with clubs wandering about. More violence looks very much on the cards.
Pro-Maidan guys gathered at the top of Potemkin steps. Small Right Sector units appear to be taking up positions in nearby courtyards.
Well armed pro-Maidan guys number about a thousand. Can see approximately 20 police.
Pro-Maidan crowd is moving out. Singing the national anthem. I recognize several from the trade union building storm.

In case you want to follow him, his name is @howardamoss. As far as I can tell, he's objective and just writes what he sees, as he's there, in the streets.

Edit: and 2 minutes ago

Two guys just ran past with a box of Molotovs. People armed with baseball bats. Just saw a chain.

This can't be right. I live very close to the centre and I hear nothing.
Guess I'll go check it out.

Edit: Holy ****, is it on again? A massive crowd is heading down Pushkinskaya st.
It can only mean they are walking toward trade union building again.

He showed photographs

Bmz-izmIQAEtPp4.jpg:large
It can only mean they are walking toward trade union building again.

This is what Howard Amon just tweeted.
Actually the crowd has split. About half has remained at police building. Other half heading for trade union building.

An Ukrainian flag being raised half-pole, while nobody touches the make-shift shrine and they have a moment of silence? Can't really see how that's bad...

It's a good thing they didn't touch the memorial. At first I thought they went there to just taunt the pro-Russian folks.

To be honest it's ****ing scary to walk the streets alone right now.
It's like you're in a town under siege. Empty streets, women hidden at home, armed men here and there and you can't always tell which side they're on. When you pass someone you stare him in the eye and your entire body tenses. You have no idea what can happen next.
I've met a heavily limping man and was like "Dude, wait. What's happening down there?" he recoiled at first and then was like "No, no.. I just have a limp." And quickly hobbled past me.
Man, it's unreal. All hardcore medieval.

I read more and more interesting speculations regarding the deaths in the burned building in Odessa. The thing is those who died inside the building lie on the floor, as if they decided to 'take a nap' while the floor was burning. I'm no expert, but people say that it's not a typical pose for those who die in flames. It looks more like thye were... poisened by some gas. There was an info that separatists retreated to that building since they've recieved a message that reinforcmenet will arrive there.
The pics (I don't want ot post those horrible pictures) really look the same as Russian anti-terrorist operation in Nord-Ost, where people died from some chemical weapon. This reminds me of Syrian chemical weapon usage and we all know 'who's' supporting Syrian government and could provide it with this gas.
I guess some people really want to visit the Hague, but they're banned to visit EU, so they desparately seek for some alternative way of getting there.

Nobody died in the fires and nobody claims that. I forgot the real name, but they died due to inhaling the smoke. That's the 'gas' you are talking about. For reasons of simplifications, it's just said 'they died in the fire'. Which isn't untrue.

I find it very hard to believe that this entire thing was planned and set up. I followed the developments on that day, by live-streams and tweets from journalists on the ground, and everything was just...escalating. Was Russia involved in the riots? Maybe, that's not for me too say. The fact that Transnistria is so close by is not a co-incidence.

Well I see it more as a set up. Obviously, the police was cooperating wtih separatists:

Police officer talking to separatists like... coordinating with them.
iF_F2.jpg

Also, just take a look at this pic (warning, the pic is harsh). That doesn't look like 'inhaling the smoke', it seems more like a sudden death.

Besides, witnesses say there were no police during the fire. Why didn't police protect their separatist friends, huh? They did it before, why not helping at that very moment?

Back
Top Bottom