Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Sheesh.. No, I think not even Russians would buy that.
I'm not a military man, not an enthusiast. So maybe I didn't translate it right. Originally it sounded like "Мобильный ракетно-зенитный комплекс".

Weaver said:
I'm not a military man, not an enthusiast. So maybe I didn't translate it right. Originally it sounded like "Мобильный ракетно-зенитный комплекс".

Ahh, well if he said "переносной", as in "ПЗРК," that would make perfect sense. Reuters reported the Ukrainian SBU stated the two copters were shot down with man-portable, shoulder-fired rockets.

Must be it.

In other news, several more people died in hospitals, bringing death toll in yesterday's Odessa incident to 46 people.
First Vice Prime Minister Yarema, who is currently in Odessa, announced there were numerous foreign agents both among the instigators and victims of the conflict. Further information is withheld because investigation is still ongoing.
Earlier today State Prosecutor's Office announced that only six bodies were identified so far and they all were from our region. Does it mean the other dead men came from elsewhere?
Yarema also mentioned that according to his information the conflict was orchestrated and terrorists had accomplices among the local police. Which is only too obvious.

All separatist camps were abandoned by their denizens and destroyed during the night by pro-Ukrainian groups. So it's their move now. They have guns.
I really hope Ukrainian military enters the city in a matter of several days.

Bluehawk said:
Weaver said:

Ahh, well if he said "переносной", as in "ПЗРК," that would make perfect sense. Reuters reported the Ukrainian SBU stated the two copters were shot down with man-portable, shoulder-fired rockets.
If the rebels had Shilkas, those heli's wouldnt stand a chance. :lol: Manpads are far more likely.

Amontadillo said:
Be safe dude.
Thanks, man.
So far at least three people I know personally are among the wounded. Two have gunshot wounds (just limbs thankfully), one with a severe concussion. It's brutal. Hospitals are overflowing.
And it's officially on now. There will be more of that.

Alright, it's official now.
Spokesman at the Ministry of Internal Affairs confirmed that of 127 men disarmed and detained after the battle yesterday the majority are Russian and Transnistrian citizens.

Transnistria is like Moldovan right?

Dang, I hope this thing doesn't escalate too much. I think the EU would be so crushed if things escalated too much.

Also I saw a video on Liveleak which clearly shows that building in Odessa being stormed, at least one guy with a pistol amongst the Pro-Ukr crowd, and they try to throw molotovs in the building. You also see the people that jump out and pretty much break.

No worries. The Channel will freeze during winter, which will allow to cross it freely... that's actually a favorite mongol tactics.

Another day. Another night. Konstantinovka (Donetsk region) right now:

I have no idea what the hell is that.

Looks to me like tracer fire from HMG or light cannon. (Probably BTR, 14.5x114mm)
What they're shooting at and why is the question.

Perhaps they have thermal/NV and can see things we cannot. Perhaps they're just using the tracers as illumination,
but I would think they'd use flares instead.

Edit: Maybe they're checking the zeroing on their gunsights?

The first one, coming from the right side, could be anything from 12.7 through 14.5 to 23 mm. The rate of fire fits DPshK, NSV, KPV and even Sergey. The second one, from the middle, is tricky. Seems to be a mix of single-shots and slow ROF bursts - so more like a cannon than a machine gun. The third one, from the left, is most likely the 30mm cannon of a BMP/D-2 (2A42), as I've seen it in action and it looked exactly like that.

They are all shooting at roughly the same spot. Unless there's fortified infantry there - unlikely - it's more probable that they are zeroing in the guns, as night optics usually distort the regular zeroing. Definitely not for illumination, as tracers do not provide any. Also, they are using old ammunition, as you can see how often the magnesium-part gets de-attached and flies harmlessly (and uselessly) somewhere else. It happens with all tracer rounds, but the older they get, the more common it becomes.

According to a Czech colonel who was part of that group of taken OSCE observers, their valuables and laptops were stolen and never returned. World, world never changes...

Back
Top Bottom