Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goker said:
Kobrag said:
Because the protesters are left wing nut cases.
Comic sans, but true for some of them. This was supposed to be a people's movement. Instead, every ****ed up person with his stupid ideology wanted to a piece of the action.

It not really about left or right. But you are right about groups trying to take advantage of these. Some of them totally harmless >

945575_575801392460380_467282380_n.jpg

Descendant of shamans are uprising : Şaman torunları isyanda

Apart from this, the groups are usually not there because of something political but something much deeper like human dignity.

My right wing friends consider me extreme left wing and my left wing friends consider me extreme right wing.

Austupaio said:
Here's the bit I'm missing, you say that this will work out because he will lose the next election.

That's in 2 years, right? What if he keeps up this behavior for 2 years? People are just supposed to put up with it?
That's the burden of a democratic government. =/

So basically you're saying that if you vote someone in, no matter their platform, you sacrifice the right to do anything about their extreme policies, even if they are violent and in opposition to their original platform?

Austupaio said:
Here's the bit I'm missing, you say that this will work out because he will lose the next election.

That's in 2 years, right? What if he keeps up this behavior for 2 years? People are just supposed to put up with it?
No I'm not saying it will work out. It might not.
But yes, putting up with it would be a hell of alot better than trying to initiate a civil war. I'd rather live in Turkey than Syria right now.

Austupaio said:

Unfortunately, that's how things work. You're equating Turkey with Libya or Syria, but Turkey is far more developed and democratic country than those two, where armed conflicts happened some time ago.

Edit: Actually, armed conflict in Syria hasn't been over yet.

That's a pretty stupid way for things to work, no?

Does the Turkish government have no precedence for impeachment?

They probably do. But who's going to impeach him assuming he still has popular support?
Edit: Or rather who's going to enforce an impeachment. I assume the constitutional court would handle the actual impeaching.

How about the hundreds of thousands of people walking around to no purpose but to get shot in the eye with a rubber bullet?

Austupaio said:

What particular behavior do you mean? The way they handle protests? Not a huge problem for Erdogan to change that. The legislation they pass? Are you advocating minority rule?

Austupaio said:
How about the hundreds of thousands of people walking around to no purpose but to get shot in the eye with a rubber bullet?
Yes, because Obama should be impeached for this
ap_ows_pepper_spray_1_dm_111121_ssh.jpg

Workaholic said:
Austupaio said:

Unfortunately, that's how things work. You're equating Turkey with Libya or Syria, but Turkey is far more developed and democratic country than those two, where armed conflicts happened some time ago.

Edit: Actually, armed conflict in Syria hasn't been over yet.

Moreover, those countries are artificial countries.

Rams said:
Actually, I did say they were uncorrupt, but I meant economically.
Well, I have a few things to say about that. The current economical situation in Turkey looks like it is okay, but Erdoğan achieved that through privatization of state assets. I could explain but this article does it already and I have a Civ V game to catch. http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/70439.aspx

Austupaio said:
And what about the millions who didn't? Most of the Turkish population didn't take part in the protests. Democracy remember.

Duh said:
What particular behavior do you mean? The way they handle protests? Not a huge problem for Erdogan to change that.
And if he doesn't change it? What if he allows the police to respond with even more force?

I'm basically being told, too bad, what he says is law until the next election and that's not a democracy. It's a dictator you vote for, possibly under false pretenses.

pentagathus said:
And what about the millions who didn't? Most of the Turkish population didn't take part in the protests. Democracy remember.
How would they start the impeachment process? Is it even possible? Would they be brutalized if they did?

Kobrag said:
Austupaio said:

That's the burden of a democratic government. =/
no it isn't, ****ty governments should dissolve to more quickly get new election.

Why are you assuming that the protesters = the people? He was elected democratically and his party has power until the next election. That is how democracy usually works.
As I said, I don't know what sort of precedent for impeachment there is in Turkey. Usually the military would stage a coup, although thats not a democratic process.

Even though there are claims of deaths. What the police have used are tactics you would find in most Western countries, including your own, tear gas and water cannon. =/

It's rather hypocritical to scream "Gun them dooooown"

The scandal here is that it was a gathering (which was technically illegal in the first place) and not a riot that they were used upon.

Pretty sure I haven't seen reports of Canadians repeatedly shooting people in the eye sockets with rubber bullets. Some people got hit in the head and were hurt, but there was not a string of reports of people being shot in the eye.

Also, dismantling your military is not a tactic found in most western countries, I've said this before.

Austupaio said:
Duh said:
What particular behavior do you mean? The way they handle protests? Not a huge problem for Erdogan to change that.
And if he doesn't change it? What if he allows the police to respond with even more force?
What ifs are not a very good basis for civil war (if you are still advocating that).

Austupaio said:
I'm basically being told, too bad, what he says is law until the next election and that's not a democracy. It's a dictator you vote for, possibly under false pretenses.
Not really. I believe that the majority of people here are simply pointing out that just because a minority is unhappy with a constitutional policy of a legitimately elected government, there is no reason for violent conflict. This is how our governments work as well and you will see western governments using their monopoly of force in a similar manner if people oppose the law.

Since neither you nor the people you are discussing with (including me) have an understanding of the impeachment process and/or judicial and legislative power that could limit the executive branch, it is quite ridiculous to make the assumption that the only option is revolution (not that thats advisable for a minority anyways).

Austupaio said:
Pretty sure I haven't seen reports of Canadians repeatedly shooting people in the eye sockets with rubber bullets. Some people got hit in the head and were hurt, but there was not a string of reports of people being shot in the eye.
So you have credible sources that prove that the police planned to shoot people in the eye sockets on a large scale? They went up to people and specifically aimed their guns at their sockets? Since its pretty ****ing hard to hit such a target on purpose, a significant amount of effort would have to go towards reaching said goal.

Austupaio said:
Also, dismantling your military is not a tactic found in most western countries, I've said this before.
They havent dismantled their military. Most western countries dont arrest a large amount of officers, since their military does not oppose the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom