Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
pentagathus said:
And the brutality has already lowered public opinion, if they don't do anything about it then there is a fair chance they'll lose the next election.
Nope.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/akp-to-leave-liberals-out.aspx?pageID=238&nid=44082

The government doesn't care much for the liberals and secularists anymore so the violence is to be expected. He won't lose an election though, because these sort of stuff happens cause he trusts his supporters. He doesn't need the votes of those his policemen are beating.

Austupaio said:
How is a law against something, that so happens to be considered casual by nearly the entire world, when the law is religious in origin and unjustifiable from a secular standpoint, not extreme?
Public displays of affection aren't considered casual by nearly the entire world. Its illegal in a fair few countries, frowned upon in others and even in western countries many people don't necessarily consider it casual.
Goker isnt this likely to lower the AKP's standing even with their usual voting block?

He does have a bit of a point actually, I was in Akron watching the Fireworks for Christmas and me and my girlfriend kissed during the finale'. From what she said there was an Older woman who looked at us like we were disgusting. (I live in the U.S)

So maybe things we wouldn't find any issue with those of another generation could find plenty.

Similarly calling BS on China, the older generations may not like it but nothing will happen to you if you decide to have a make out session on a public bench.

Deserath said:
He does have a bit of a point actually, I was in Akron watching the Fireworks for Christmas and me and my girlfriend kissed during the finale'. From what she said there was an Older woman who looked at us like we were disgusting. (I live in the U.S)
So maybe things we wouldn't find any issue with those of another generation could find plenty.
There's a huge difference between impolite generation-culture gaps and actually political standings and laws.

Are you kidding? That's advanced Space Age Technology right dere'. He probably has A/C and a Toilet in that thing.

That doesn't necessarily mean its seen as casual or normal.
Probably right about Japan but you could replace it with india.

pentagathus said:
Goker isnt this likely to lower the AKP's standing even with their usual voting block?
I suppose we will see. But with the way he's spinning the story, I don't think it will.

He now claims he told the Police to pull back from the park. Article is in Turkish, sorry about that, but you only need the title.

http://siyaset.milliyet.com.tr/erdogan-taksim-e-yuruceklermis/siyaset/detay/1717280/default.htm

Erdoğan: They said they(protestors) are going to walk to Taksim. I said let them walk.

The Police retreated out of the park and then bombarded the whole place with gas bombs after people stormed in.

npk17.png

I should also mention that many TV channels did not cover this whole issue but all of them covered the speech Erdoğan gave about the issue. People watching from TV have only heard what he said. And he said those protestors were fascists who were provoked by opposition parties.

Good thing this is a fair, democratic government with no corruption.

I hate sarcastic, empty posts but come on... how can you even defend this guy and his administration?

Austupaio said:
I hate sarcastic, empty posts but come on... how can you even defend this guy and his administration?
Who's doing the defending?

He's controlling a lot of people but he also gets chosen. Democracy is the way this country is run and we can't do much about that.

Kobrag said:
Because the protesters are left wing nut cases.
Comic sans, but true for some of them. This was supposed to be a people's movement. Instead, every ****ed up person with his stupid ideology wanted to a piece of the action.

Austupaio said:
Good thing this is a fair, democratic government with no corruption.

Nobody is doing that. People are defending the capability of the population to sort this out without shooting each other.

Here's the bit I'm missing, you say that this will work out because he will lose the next election.

That's in 2 years, right? What if he keeps up this behavior for 2 years? People are just supposed to put up with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom