Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ancalimon said:
xenoargh said:
2.  What are the main reasons people are protesting?  This whole thing started over a relatively minor issue so I don't think that explains it.  Clearly, there are some really deep-seated resentments now being expressed.  What do the people protesting actually want? 

This is the general idea.

249061_10151430438502116_1507714494_n.jpg

Oh good. Our resident conspiracy theorist is now flying a democracy banner... Back to dictatorships then lads?

xenoargh said:
Thanks to both of you; that helps explain a bit. 

It's hard to tell what's going on from outside Turkey and who's doing what if you're not a foreign-policy expert.  Turkey doesn't get a great deal of news coverage here and unlike the problems in Greece, it hasn't gotten a lot of analysis.

But ever since the news came to light of the limitations being put on your media and use of the Internet, I've been worried that this kind of thing might happen.

Hopefully these issues can be addressed peacefully through the democratic process, not violence, once things calm down a bit.

There are at least 1000 peope in custody right now and police is attacking the people who are trying to leave the Gezipark and get their home. I dont know how the situation would calm down.

I have never been to a political activity and I dont support any o the political parties in Turkey. Just saying that to make it clear.

This is Turkish police. He's doing something you'd do only in League of Legends as Singed.

http://www.59saniye.com/taksim-gezi-parkinda-herkese-biber-gazi-sikan-polis/

+ You wouldnt do that even to your greatest enemies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0AoL72Evw

Hanz said:
Workaholic said:
ancalimon said:
When that bombing in Hatay (our Syria border) happened in which more than 50 people died (I was muted when that happened), I thought to myself that something was going to happen.

I have still got mixed feelings about this uprising. Everything seems ...  as if planned.
Oh boy, not again.
Russia, Israel and Kurds have organized the whole thing, because they want to tear Turkey apart.

Are you crazy? It's obviously the vile Greeks who want to retake Constantinople!

Please dont make comments about you dont know

I went to the demonstration in Antalya, and walked for 1 hour with crowd.Demonstration stated  at Cumhuriyet Square, police just followed us and didn't do any violent activity.But like i said i didn't stay lond because of personel isseus but dunno why but attacked to crowd people at the Çallı Street.My friend wounded because of the tear gas.

Flecha said:
I went to the demonstration in Antalya, and walked for 1 hour with crowd.Demonstration stated  at Cumhuriyet Square, police just followed us and didn't do any violent activity.But like i said i didn't stay lond because of personel isseus but dunno why but attacked to crowd people at the Çallı Street.My friend wounded because of the tear gas.

Main activities are going on in Istanbul and Ankara. You're pretty lucky that you didnt get caught by it.

@Nord Champion: It is said that one people get killed under a panzer. I dont know if it happened in that video though. There is no way to get a clear information about it. Turkish media is completely screwed up right now. I watched the only livestream in some Norwegian TV today.

By the way, there is some information that Turkish police is using this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

pentagathus said:
Seems unlikely, surely tear gas is more effective. Why would the cops even have agent orange?

Well, surely trying to convince people is more effective, but the police is trying to smash people with Panzer's in Turkey now. I dont know if any of the news are correct. Most of the popular Turkish TV channels are showing nothing about the riots.

That guy died:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0IPQfTQrPg

ancalimon said:
Things don't make much sense right now. I'm still not sure how things escalated this quickly.

People's occupation of Gezi Park was continuing for 5 days. Police ambush in the dawn yesterday, escalated things that fast imo.

I cant be sure with media doing nothing right now. I have really no idea how to bring you information without media.

_Toi_ said:
ancalimon said:
Things don't make much sense right now. I'm still not sure how things escalated this quickly.

People's occupation of Gezi Park was continuing for 5 days. Police ambush in the dawn yesterday, escalated things that fast imo.

I cant be sure with media doing nothing right now. I have really no idea how to bring you information without media.

I'm there. (Ordayım ben güzel kardeşim :smile: )

ancalimon said:
_Toi_ said:
ancalimon said:

Düzgün bir bilgi varsa elinde paylaşabilir misin ya? Evde tabiri caizse kısıldım kaldım. Elimdeki tek kaynak CNN International'ın canlı yayını.

_Toi_ said:

I find it extremely unlikely that they even have any Agent Orange at all. Are you sure people aren't just getting sprayed by orange dyed water (hint: Agent Orange isn't orange)?

_Toi_ said:
ancalimon said:
_Toi_ said:
ancalimon said:

Düzgün bir bilgi varsa elinde paylaşabilir misin ya? Evde tabiri caizse kısıldım kaldım. Elimdeki tek kaynak CNN International'ın canlı yayını.

No. I'm at home right now and I can not contact people there. People are either not answering phones or not reachable.

Let's just say that people in Turkey are more prone to conspiracy theories, even absurd ones, like the Agent Orange nonsense.
The lack of media coverage doesn't help as well.

Sir Prince said:
_Toi_ said:

I find it extremely unlikely that they even have any Agent Orange at all. Are you sure people aren't just getting sprayed by orange dyed water (hint: Agent Orange isn't orange)?

It's Turkey Prince, they operate on a whole other level.

Just look at Kebabs...

MadVader said:
Let's just say that people in Turkey are more prone to conspiracy theories, even absurd ones, like the Agent Orange nonsense.

It seems like there are lots of groups (either from Turkey or outside of Turkey) that are agitating people one way or another. There are also fake pictures, news, etc.. being shared all over social media.

ancalimon said:
MadVader said:

It seems like there are lots of groups (either from Turkey or outside of Turkey) that are agitating people one way or another. There are also fake pictures, news, etc.. being shared all over social media.
This is normal. Activists tend to spread wild rumors, particularly exaggerating casualties.
And if there is a media blackout like in Turkey, those rumors are the only news you get. That's why it's very important for the media to be independent in democracies, so we'll know the truth, not the Turth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom