The 2014 FIFA World Cup, and the protests in Brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Also worth mentioning the fact that the very newspaper that put this video together, even though the video is a perfect illustration of what is happening, was very outspoken against the protests until their journalist was shot.

Goker said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6QVLE8PQJ8 - Watch in English Captions.

Brazilian forumites can tell if this video explains the situation suitably. It seemed alright to me.
My god, look at her eye. That's ****ed up.

Wolfhead said:
Apparently she only didn't lose the eye because she wore glasses.
Lucky.

This was in Turkey. Not so lucky.

BL2Kg-zCUAEf452.jpg

Ow. Massive cringing going on here.

EDIT: Fun fact. The gas they use on you guys on Turkey is made here. Except here, it's mostly past the expiration date.

Huh. Reports say Turkey paid 21 million USD for those gas canisters.

They can be deadly. In the video, it was said that the police who shot the woman was aiming at the ground and the canister or rubber bullet bounced to her eye. Not sure if that is true.

What I know for a fact is that you are not supposed to fire the gas canisters directly at people. Something the Turkish police have not been notified of, it seems.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Or maybe they're aggressive, barbaric assholes.
They probably are, in authoritarian regime that's in their job description. I think that also depends on how many of the reserve police forces did Turkish government call up for this situation, they are usually not trained enough for many of these situations.

Anyway, I just saw a headline about 300000 protesters in Brazil. 300k, wtf?

Well, we're the fifth largest country in the world. And just Sâo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro must make 3/4 of that number.

Wolfhead said:
Well, we're the fifth largest country in the world. And just Sâo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro must make 3/4 of that number.
I'm perfectly aware of how big country Brazil is, but 300k is a hell of a lot of people on the streets, even for Brazil. I hope it's not a "Turkish scenario".

Workaholic said:
Wolfhead said:
I'm perfectly aware of how big country Brazil is, but 300k is a hell of a lot of people on the streets, even for Brazil. I hope it's not a "Turkish scenario".

Dude, most brazilian capital cities: Rio, São Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte houses around 2.000.000 and more families each. That's really as expected as a minimum.

Darkgenius said:
Workaholic said:
Wolfhead said:

Dude, most brazilian capital cities: Rio, São Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte houses around 2.000.000 and more families each. That's really as expected as a minimum.
Whatever, dude.

Things have seen to cooled down a little, but we can expect new protests in the weekend and Thursday, of more larger proportions, Goverment tasted the popular movement power.

Rams said:
Ambalon said:
In few months time I'll be proven right. Nothing important will have happened you'll be nothing but wrong and disappointed. I actually mean this in the kindest way I can: don't get your hopes up, because all you'll get is frustration.
**** that, people NEED to get angry and frustrated, even if the chances of something to change are minimal. Angry people make a strong case. And just going along with it is being part of the problem. You yourself might not give a **** about Brazil, but advising people who do care about their environment to take the same position is a bad idea.
I'm not saying "don't protest". I'm saying "when this doesn't work, remember I was right".

Turkey's Minister of EU affairs links photo of a victim of police brutality and excessive force in Brazil. Claims it was a set-up. Links to a website that says otherwise.

dQUw7.png

Minister of EU affairs, Egemen Bağış,  also claimed the woman in red picture in Turkey was staged and the woman was never there.

I suppose these pictures show us a ghost.
article-2335924-1A24BA58000005DC-71_964x720.jpg

article-2335924-1A24BA66000005DC-113_964x621.jpg

Yet another reason to hate football and Fifa...  :grin:

On a serious note, it's easy to understand why the average person is angry and why perhaps the Brazilian government might have had better things to spend their money on...

Back
Top Bottom