TALES OF HARDY ADVENTURERS [EG III]

Users who are viewing this thread

The story of Aza, the daughter of a Khergit Khan.

The Calling
It was in the lands of the Nords that the Khan's Guards caught up with Aza and informed her of her father's campaign. Having seen enough of the world, she simply nodded upon hearing the news and turned her steed, Cloud, towards home. The five men who found her joined her and swore to fight by her side in case of combat on the way home, but little did they know at the time that they would all later decide to stay with her until their deaths.

A mere two days later they arrived in Khergit lands and could spy Distar Castle in the distance. They made a stop there to refill their food supplies and rest their steeds. It was there that she first met Lord Sebula, who asked her if she would be interested in making a few denars. The little money she had taken with her when she left was since long spent on outrageously high-priced food in Rhodokian taverns, and she agreed to hear his proposal. It turned out that Lord Sebula had loaned out a considerable amount of denars to Lord Belir, 3500 denars to be precise, and he asked her to retrieve it. When promised one fifth of the sum, she agreed, and set out towards the grand city of Narra, where Lord Belir was believed to currently reside.

Upon re-entering the city for the first time in a long while, she was struck by how beautiful it was. She had been born in Tulga, indeed just as beautiful, but there was something special about Narra that had always amazed her. Spending a short while in the streets among the commoners, something she had always enjoyed, led to her stumbling into a handsome man called Baheshtur. After a short discussion it turned out that he was a Khergit baron, and finding him interesting, she offered him a job as a bodyguard for the Khan's daughter. Baheshtur agreed, and after sharing salt, he accompanied her to the castle, and he has not been seen leaving her side ever since.

Proving days (Day 5 - 11)
Upon her return in Tulga and talking to her father, it quickly became clear that he did not think her a capable warrior. To prove him wrong, she set out with her warband, now consisting of forty-five men, all ready for battle. The Khergit lands were no strangers to bandits, men and women hoping to gain fortune by attacking careless travelers or caravans. As such, it did not take long for Aza to make a name for herself as she roade across the hills outside of Ichamur, engaging any group of bandit she came across and emerging victorious. Cloud was indeed a quick steed, blazing across the battlefield and allowing Aza to rain death upon the foolish outlaws. If she needed to prove herself to her father, she would do so with brutal efficiency.

Before long, she was a renowned warrior known to have put at least fifty men in shallow graves on her own. The men fighting under her command admired her aim with the bow; they even said she could hit a man between the eyes from over a hundred yards away! In her travels she met a man named Jeremus, a doctor, and Aza was quick to offer him a job. He was not a particularly skilled warrior, but a skilled surgeon he was, and thanks to him many men who would never have seen the next day without him there did. Their fighting continued for seven days before they returned to Tulga, to ask her father whether or not she was renowned enough for him to accept her. Finally he came to his senses and accepted her for her valorous deeds, and she set out alongside her brethren to fight against the Swadians and the Nords; she heard that shortly before she arrived there had been a declaration of peace between the Khergit Kharnate and the Rhodoks.

The Khergit Khan's Daughter (Day 12 - 30)

The very next day she caught up with the army campaigning against Swadia. They did, however, underestimate the power and conviction of the Swadian knights. Sir Haringoth made this very clear when he incapacitated nearly one hundred men and sending fifty to their graves when the entire Khergit army engaged him in combat. Even so, they emerged victorious, albeit demoralized. This led many of the Lords, Aza included, to question the leadership of Lord Alagur, however they agreed to give him one more chance. They rode towards Rindyar castle, near the Vaegrian border. If they could capture it, they would weaken the Vaegirs by cutting off their northern access; Rindyar castle would block access into Swadian territory, Sungetche castle and Asugan castle would block access into Khergit lands. Shortly after their besieging of the castle, Aza was requested to leave on a scouting mission. Despite her standing, it was obvious that the other lords, or at the very least Lord Alagur, did not trust her skills just yet. Reluctantly she rode away, and upon her return she found that Lord Alagur and the army had engaged Lord Stamar just outside of Rindyar castle. She joined and, to her relief, she saw that Lord Alagur had heeded the advice of the last battle, and kept their men from slaughter.

The days passed without any assault on the castle. Instead the army attacked any lords that came near Rindyar castle, and successfully routed those who did not flee without combat. But Aza noticed that the food stores of her army were growing scarce, and left for the Vaegir city of Curaw, rather than trade with the Swadian peasants who demanded outrageous fees. The journey back and forth took only a day, but Lord Alagur decided to attack the castle while she were away, and was defeated. Following his defeat, Lord Urumuda was made Marshall, and the Alagur's campaign was over. It was a shame that Lord Alagur would have to carry for the rest of his life, if he even dared come back, but she did not care as long as she could once again return and see the wide plains of her homeland, alive and well.

A mere week later, after having run errands for her father and attacking vicious pilgrims in her homelands, she heard of an impending Nord assault against the Vaegirs. Thinking she could earn some friends by warning them, she headed over the mountain and into Vaegir territory. However, by the time she arrived at Khudan, the Vaegir Lords were already engaged in combat with the Nords. The Vaegirs were outnumbered, and she decided to join the battle, knowing her mounted warriors could cause confusion and disarray in the Nord formations. But her choice to help the Vaegirs resulted in her death. On the thirtieth day, in a battle against the Nords, assisting Lord Mleza of the Vaegirs, she led her troops against the enemy force and became the target of a throwing axe that took her life.

mb23.png

mb24.png

Or maybe that throwing axe took her legs.. :razz:

mb26.png

The game is actually a lot more interesting with high difficulty. All in all it reached 112%

My first character, Warwolf, reached level 11. I was doing pretty well, had a nice army with mostly top tier Vaegir troops and Mercenaries. Money wasn't a problem because I was using a club to knock my enemies out and sell them to the Ransom dude.
Got cocky though, not taking enough care to pick out the enemies I could take. Running through enemy hordes (Bear clans) when some of my own dudes shot my horse. Got thrown out of the saddle, made it back to friendly lines more or less, but got smacked in the back. Didn't even see it coming. Pretty intense I must say!

Will try again tomorrow.
Very nice mod! Real challenge

Difficulty 117% (fast combat speed, 120 battle size) click the pics again at the link to enlarge them. Twice.

Hunter dead at 21 - pillaging bear tribe, overconfident in melee. Club to the face. Didn't have the screenshot program open.
Barbarian dead at 17 while attacking a castle. Had taken 2 previously and began his own kingdom. 
Steppe Prince dead at 16((I leveled up after I died)first knockout ;\  ). Him and 4 scourges(original starting horsemen(1 died), didn't recruit anything) trying to take out a pillaging bear tribe(55) , out of ammo and unhorsed with 7'ish to go and took out all but the last 2 with my shortened military scythe. Was wearing ridiculously heavy amour, which didn't really help.

Day 200-203
Siege of Jelkala

The poets and skalds write of such victories in their fashion – a mad assault of passion with glory, and how Melanti Savoie single-handedly slew the enemy and cast their bodies from the ramparts. My wife then, a pious *****, said such things are the work of her Christian God, as would my King if asked; however, I say it was the work of men, and there was no glory in their death, no passion as they screamed in agony.

We fought in a great shield-wall on the ramparts after braving the ladders. The stench of ****, piss, sweat and blood made the air a disgusting thing. Many fell to their death; there was no room to swing a great sword, or tend the wounded. Dazed and confused, it took us three attempts to make a wall to meet the enemy; overlapping our shields – left of a shield over the right of the man next to you – we brought ourselves upon them. I had my short sword, and as we crashed into the enemy I would blindly stab under my shield hoping to find flesh, and Death-Giver would find it: a fine blade, Death-Giver, made by a pagan in Tihr that could pierce mail with ease. Stab, twist the blade, pull. It was a monotonous task, and the smell of death was ever present. The opposing wall would push, strike under and over our shields, pull them down with long-handled axes or stab at unprotected shins with spears.

The first wall to break would spell death to that side. Once broken, men would flee, their backs exposed to crossbow, sword and axe. I say my silent thanks to the Old Gods, to this day, that it was not my wall that broke. Though outnumbered, the Rhodok fyrd was of farmers with little training and no experience in a shield wall. My men were veterans, true warriors, and had held their own in many a wall. True sword-swadians, and once the blood work began it was only a matter of time. The battle-calm came over us as the shields met, and we cried for blood, mercilessly stabbing at our foe. I could hear the sword-song, the dance of death, as men fell before us.

A young man recklessly smashed his shield against mine, a look of absolute terror on his face. As I pulled myself low to find his legs, I saw he was pissing himself. A great mistake – Never put cowards at the front of a wall, it is a place for men who have tasted death, who, in the battle-calm, do not fear it – so I thrust Death-Giver into his groin, twisted the blade, and pulled it away. He fell to the ground and I stepped over him as the wall moved forward. The man behind me would finish what I had started. 

I was relishing the fight, and as each stab found flesh and dug deep, I screamed my name – it was not until the battle was over had I known my men were also yelling my name in blood-lust, “Savoie”. I was young, brave and foolhardy – I was to make a reputation of myself, and Jelkala was only the beginning.

How long it took, hours or minutes, I am no longer sure. I recall these things in old age, my fighting prime long past, and at times it seems a fog has rested in my memories. The comfort of finding death in battle, to meet my enemies and friends in the corpse-hall after a heroic death, is no longer. I lay awake at night, gasping for air and desperately hold Widow-Maker, my sword, so that if I should die in my sleep I do so with it in hand, and will not be damned to Niflheim.

Perhaps though, the fog is from the ale and mead we took once we had captured the city, and paid the butchers bill. Their wall had broken and we set a storm of bolts, axes and swords upon them as they retreated to the inner city, where they were hunted down. I then set my men loose to their share in the victory: drinking, looting, and women. I slept that night to the screams of rape, gallivanting of the victorious, and the crying of children.

Information

Definitions:
Fyrd –“Imposed military service upon every able-bodied free male”, a term used in Anglo-Saxon England from approx. AD 605.

Corpse-Hall – Refers to the hall in which slain warriors would be taken to in Valhalla upon death in battle, to feast with heroes of legend, friends and enemies alike.

Niflheim – Essentially, the Norse “Hell”, where a man would go should he die without a weapon in hand (and not in battle? Anyone more knowledge in respects to this, by all means comment. I would like to be sure! As you can see, from my understanding, so long as you die with your weapon in hand, you may be taken to the corpse-hall.)

Old Gods – The Norse Gods, search Wikipedia or the library for more information.

Background of Melanti Savoie
As you can see, there might be some confusion as to why Savoie is with the Swadian Empire instead of the Nords. Well, I really don’t have a huge explanation for that other than this – through various circumstances and events, political and familial, Savoie swore oath to the King Haurlaus and married into Swadian aristocracy – arranged by Haurlaus to convert Savoie to a ‘good Christian’ and keep him within the Swadian Empire by ties other than himself. The character Melanti Savoie has a strong belief in oaths, “they are what makes us human, they define us,” thus, he would not break an oath as serious as swearing fealty. He is also, if you have not guessed it, a pagan.

The Early Diaries of Drake

Day 1

A few of my hunting companions have decided to accompany me upon a journey and an adventure like no other. Our first day, we encountered looters. They're were 6 of them, and 5 of us. All of us being the expert hunters we were, laughed as they charged at us, but they never even reached us. I slew 3, whilst my companions dropped the rest of them. We celebrated happily, not knowing there were many more.. We continued our journey, going to the glorious city of Reyvadin, where we would spend our first night. On our way there, we saw a massive tribe of migrating bear warriors. There were at least 500! We fled quickly, and hid inside the gates of Reyvadin. We sold our spoils from our first looters, and I went to the arena for a bit of training. I was given a bow and arrow, and I doubted 23 of the 40 men, but I was defeated by a champion fighter. We spent therest of the night here...

Day 2
We set out again, at the break of dawn, and encountered more looters! We slew them as easily as the first ones we found. Later, we found fisherman, who seemed to have to much to drink. They threatened to "Drink from my skull" but they were disposed of easily enough. Then, I saw something of the likes I had never seen before. I saw a lone man, with no body, and a floating head, who seemed to have the fires of hell following him. He attacked us, but we managed to down him after many an arrow...We camped for the night..

((I'll continue this later. Sorry it's not very good, lol.))

This thread (well actually it was the similar thread for EGII but anyways) is responsible for making me register to these forums. :razz:
All the tales were just great so of course I had to get my share of the fun.

Difficulty settings maxed, realistic saving and battle size 300 but there weren't any battles that big...
Note: The actual in-game lenght was 11 days... It just didn't "sound" good in a journal so I added more days to make it more realistic.

Diary of Jonathan "Marksman".

Day 1

Finally I have set out on an adventure. The usual dailylife had grown boresome. The only days I felt excitement were when raiders tried to raid our village and I couldn't help feeling shame that while I felt like I was truly living others were dying around me. So I managed to gather up a few lads who felt the same and we left the village by night so that no one would try to stop us. I can only hope they can survive with out my bow to back them up in times of distress... Maybe I'll come back after I have gotten my share of glory and gold. But I wont be a simple peasent when I do. I shall be a noble, with my own fief!
Although I am confident in my skills as a marksman, I fear my friends are not yet as good as I am, so we have decided to journey to the Kingdom of Swadia. If we stayed in the steppes we might get killed by the skilled steppe bandits.

Day 14

We crossed the mountain path to Swadia and our choice was proven right. We came across with two bands of looters. My arrows struck down seven and my friends insisted on letting them finish two from the latter band.
We'll head to Uxhall to sell our loot and see if the women of Swadia are as beautiful as is said.
Two new companions joined our party. Firentis a man struggling with his past and Katrin whose experience with yarn and needle will surely become valuable during our journeys.
We cut down another band of looters today. I feel I have lived more in these few days than in the twentytwo years before this.
I HAVE SEEN THE DEAD WALK THE EARTH!! Of course I have heard the stories of armies of the undead and of lostsouls but I never believed the word of the people who told these stories... Today we saw them. Fifty of them marching forward killing everything in their wake.
We wont stay here, we'll move to east towards the city of Dhirim.

Day 18

I fear this may be the last time I write in this journal... Last night we decided to camp on the mountainslopes north of the Village of Tahlber. At midnight someone screamind that the camp was on fire but as we rushed out of our tents we saw three figures cled in living fire, each holding a sword as long as a man. We had no choice but to surrender to their will. Surprisingly they did not kill us straight away... I fear they may be planning on using us as sacrifice to some demon. I MUST RUN AWAY!

Day 19

At dawn, myself, Firentiz and Katrin managed to escape. I didn't want to leave my friends but I swear that I will avenge their fates. Right now I must focus on my survival... We'll head to Dhirim where I'll buy myself a new bow with the little money I managed to keep from the undead.
With a new bow and three new worthy companions we'll journey back west and track down the undead and rescue my friends if they're yet alive.
We ran on a band of looters holding ten farmers as prisoners. Naturally we cut down the looters and the farmers were happy to join us in our quest to seek revenge.
We found them but they proved more dangerous I could have believed. I managed to take down one with my bow but not even the three caravan guards could defeat the rest two. The farmers were also cut down with out mercy. Katrin and Firentis were wounded badly. I tried to run and shoot them but my arrows were almost gone after the first one. Eventually they caught up with me.
This isn't how I imagined things would go. The only good thing is that many of our party were not killed afterall and there are only two of them left... Now I know I must hit them in the head, so maybe I could take them on. I still have my bow and arrows.

Day 20

I thank all the gods for favoring me. I managed to kill them! Without my armor I was swift enough to dodge their javelins and waited until they had only their swords. That's when I ran up a hill and started shooting. It was a long fight but in the end my carefull aim finished them! My friends are all now freed, even the ones whom I set out on this journey.
I shall treasure this cheap and poormade bow for as long as I live, for it saved my life and those of my companions.
From this day forth, I shall be known as Jonathan Marksman!

Day 29

Last night we arrived in Jelkala. The word of my actions seems to have spread for two bandits tried to take my life. I gave them what they deserved. An arrow to the head! I even got couple denars for my troubles.
Today I bested 15 fighters on the arena of Jelkala. Maybe I have belittled my skills as a swordsman. I asked where the next tournaments will be held... We'll leave for Yalen today!
I'll test the worth of this lands Nobles through these events and hopefully a King will also then see my worth.
On the way to Yalen we ran on two bands of Forrest bandits both had a dozen men. I'm afraid that I'll have to send word back home to Erimis's mother that her son has perished. He was too greedy and tried to take on three bandits, riding his horse right to them. But his horse was cut down leaving Eremis struggling to get up. The bandits slew him right there.
We arrived to yalen and I signed to the tournament. But losing Erimis took it's toll on me and my focus wasn't entirely on the field... I lucky shot from some regular warrior took my down.
I could almost hear the laughing from the watching crowd as I hit the ground... I had boasted greatly upon arriving in the arena and I even placed a bet on my own success. I feel this shame will leave a permanent mark on my pride. We'll hold a wake for Eremis tonight, I hope the drinks will wipe this unpleasant memory.

Day 30

It seems that sometime during the wake a villager from the village of Glunmar came to me asking for help. His village was overrun by bandits and he was desperate for help... Apparently I had promised him that we'd help, although I don't remember this.
Well set out to help his village as we promised though.

Day 31

We freed the village from the choking grasp of the monstrous bandits but unfortunately doing so claimed the life of yet another of my childhood friends. The letter will now contain two names: Erimis and Mathew. Only Arren and Will remain.
Good thing is though that we have managed to recruit warriors so that our party consists of fourteen experienced mercenary swordmen and five archers, including me.

Day 35

We have spent two days tracking down and eliminating two bands of tribal warriors. Firentis told me they were of Bear clan.. I feel their name is mockery toward the king of forest. Even the loot wasn't much either. Few clubs that might have been picked up from a forrest.

Day 42

Blessed be the gods for guiding my step! We arrived to Sargoth just before night fall and there she was a true flower. Her name is Ymira, we met her in the tavern. She had escaped from the dull life that was planned for her and was now thinkin of joining a band gypsies or mercenaries. I felt immediately that our fates were woven together and of course allowed her to come with us. Others are not sure if this is a wise choice, since she does not know the life of a soldier and of course I know this to be true but who knows what might have happened to her if she'd enlisted on some other mercenaryband. With us she is safe and I swear to protect her with my life!
I also took part in another tournament and although I didn't win yet the whole tournament, I must say I fared exceptionally well, and if not for the lucky strike which slipped through my guard it would be me claiming the prize instead of that old knight.

Day 50

We are making our way to snowy plains to the east. We are stopping at the major cities on the way to look for worthy soldiers. In Wercheg we came across a young woman called Lethi. She seemed to have bit of a shady background but I tough Ymira would appreciate some more female company since right know there's only Katrin and her. I also overheard a conversation about the legendary skills of Vaegir marksmen. If they are half as good as they say then we can let go of the mercenary archers who tend to get drunk a bit too often and the next day they can't even aim right.
Note: It seems that the Bear clan people are providing local villager with beverage. We have counted ten small groups of drunken fishermen and there seems always to be at least one Bear clan member wit them.
Tomorrow we set of early to free the village of Mazen from the bandits that now rule it.

Day 54

Today Jonathan Marksman perished in battle. While fighting for the freedom of a small village a bandit horseman slipped behind the lines and dealt a mortal blow, to both Jonathan and his band of warriors. Although the village was freed and Jonathan avenged the force that had held together men from all over Calradia and beyond was gone. Only those of us who knew Jonathan best stayed together. We shall continue to live the way he showed us and may he protect us though he longer walks among us.
- Arren of Kedelke

Rallige, a skilled hunter, died on 22'th of april, 1257. His last battle was against kingdom of Rhodoks. Having 80 men army of loyal rangers, he decided  to help Nords in their battle against horde of rhodoks.

Here is the battle plan :

Rallige, having very little infantry units and lots of rangers, has a task to set up defences at the hill and provide devastating arrow shower while nords are rushing into battle.

The task seemed to be easy, and nobody could even think about what is going to happen...

Suddenly rhodok knights appeared. Lots of them. Our allies got surrounded and slaughtered. And  Rallige's defences were next target to theese knights...

Having no other choice, rangers fought for their lives, waiting for reinforcements. Surprisingly, they defeated kinghts in minutes. But horsemen breaked formation, and line was disorganized.
Trying to reorganize formation, Rallige got hit by a bolt in his chest. that was a lucky shot.

Despite heavy loses, rangers managed to repell enemy attack at their position and wait for reinforcement. The counterattack of united forces was a success - Rhodoks were defeated. But this would never be possible without heroism of officer Rallige and his men.

This is my second hunter, the first I played in 0.95a (no weight penalty), always under full difficulty settings and realistic savings, except I managed to use 200 battlesize by lowering graphics to minimum.  My first hunter in 0.95a taught me a lot about surviving, etc…well I mean cowardice, lol because that’s what it takes to stay alive most of the time! 

Ajax the bounty hunter

Ajax entered these Kingdoms with the sole purpose of fame seeking, which he more or less achieved through much individual heroism (or not!).  In the end, after all the land, titles, fame were his, he felt disillusioned by all the killing and decided to retire.  The champion marksmen of his day, he boasts an archery skill of more than 750 (with no armour on his reticule doesn’t even move out), having slain almost 6000 foes by himself, exceptionally skilled with the polearms and 2-hand weapons, and an excellent rider.  With his skills he could almost take on any opponents by himself.  And if that were not enough, he commands the most powerful army in the lands, which is garrisoned in the prosperous town of Sonu. 

Character screen

1skills.jpg

Army / party screen

2army.jpg

Some items

3items.jpg

Statistics

4stats.jpg

Retirement (Score)

5retirement.jpg

Game Play Videos (More will update once I finish uploading)
Ajax fights more of a Ranger style and utilizes just about everything to his advantage, sometimes it’s just arrows, sometimes it’s melee, sometimes charging on horseback.

Ajax v Forest bandits (33 men)
http://rapidshare.com/files/240118679/1_Ajax_v_Forest_Bandits.avi.html

Ajax v Shock Troops (40 men)
http://rapidshare.com/files/240131864/2_Ajax_v_Shock_troops.avi.html

Ajax v  Headhunters (83 men)
http://files.filefront.com/13845460

Ajax v Pillaging Bear Clan (44 men)
These are some of the hardest opponents to solo for my hunter, as they are very difficult to fight in melee on foot.  You will get flanked too easily.  I think I was knockout / killed a few times against the Bear Clan guys.
http://files.filefront.com/13845661

Putting those vids on youtube(or something similar) will make the lazy people watch them(e.g - me).
Wow! Nice work getting to that level(and amount of kills), and not being killed by a random ranged attack. Did you get knocked out at all?

Yumeyumi - steppe prince goes to the grave at level 18 via fallen one jarid to the face(141 damage with 65 head armour, at an impressive distance too). 468 kills.

I was knockedout a few times while soloing, mainly to Bear Clan on foot, and twice to ranged units, but didn't actually use up any death charm.  Before having death charms and soloing, I was such a coward it's unbelievable, first sign of danger or possibility of loosing many men, I retreat.  It's much easier to 'solo' if you take say five veteran goliath with you to take hits, but even if they kill no units, they still share end of battle exp.  After a while I got greedy and decided to ditch them as well. 

Btw Chel thanks for tidying up my post.

Note: yes the storyline is really really cheesy but i thought i would make it a bit more interesting, so bear with me please  :oops: (there are battles, screens and maybe some videos coming up)

The Story of Edward Smith

1: The Beginning
My name is Edward Smith, raised by my mother and father, with my sister in the small, Swadian village of Ehlerdah situated on the western edge of the Swadian territories and as such were used to raids by Rhodok patrols, seizing grain, cattle and burning our dwellings.
Ehlerdah.jpg

Swadia-RhodokBorder.jpg

VillageScene1.jpg

VillageScene2.jpg
So when we were attacked on the night of March 21st 1257, it was no great suprise. We quickly gathered some food and anything to hand, and made for the depths of the forest to hide and wait out the attack, leaving those who tried to resist the Rhodok Knights under Lord Gerluchs to their grim fate. We headed south west, where we had heard a Swadian war party under King Harlaus himself was camped. We had been moving for about an hour, in a group of around twenty, including my family and some of my friend's families, when i started noticing things, movements in the dark. As a hunter, my father had trained my to use not only my eyes, but my other senses, to detect movement, because where there was movement in a deserted forest, there was usually food. So i took 5 of my friends and headed away from the main group, hoping to hunt us some dinner. We were in luck! A stag, illuminated by the moonlight in a clearing! Crouching, perfectly still, i drew and arrow from my quiver, aimed and let loose. With a hiss and a sickening thud as the arrow buried itself in the neck of the unfortunate creature, the deer swayed and fell to the ground. We cheered, knowing that we would be eating a hot meal that night, which could never be taken for granted. We gutted and skinned the beast, taking the fur as well, knowing that it would fetch a few denars when we made it to Praven. As we stood up, to go and rejoin our families, we suddenly heard screams for the distance. Dropping everything, we ran, straight for the noise, fearing the worst. As we reached the place where the noise was coming from, we realised what must have happened, the Rodoks had found us, but not just a patrol as we had thought, hundreds of them, some clad in iron armour on great steeds and some still looking as though they had just been drafted into the army. As much as we wanted to help, we knew we could not intervene, without ourselves being slaughtered so we crept up to where they were and hid, just out of the light. From there we could see the banners of King Graveth, a black and white splayed cross. Tied up and being loaded onto carts, i could see our the women of our families, including my mother and sister. My father along with the other men lay bleeding on the floor, bows and knives in hand, as they had made their futile stand against the King and his host of men. I almost vomited as i saw my best friend's mother, try and run, only to be shot in the back by half a dozen crossbowmen. King Graveth and his lords just laughed and they and their men, with our families as well, headed off into the night, no doubt heading for Praven or Reindi Castle, leaving the bodies of the fallen where they lay. As soon as the voices had died down, we came out of our hiding place and rushed to our fathers and brothers, who lay dead and dying on the ground. We took them back to the village, where our houses were smouldering and dead animals littered the floor, and we buried them, with their bows, making crude headstones out of rubble and weeping, we swore revenge of King Graveth and his Rhodock kingdom. But first we decided, to try and find those of our families who were still alive and held by the Rhodoks. Trying not to think of what unspeakable things were happening to my mother and sister, I, along with my four trusted companions, each a skilled shot with the bow, headed west into the wilds of Calradia, to find our loved ones, or die trying...

2: The Hunt Begins
Map.jpg

We decided to journey through the night, agreeing that we would not waste time that way, but we all knew in our hearts, that we wanted to get away from the village and the forest, which now held so many bad memories for us. Deciding to head for Praven, the closest friendly town, we quietly and quickly travelled south east, passing the scene of the night before, and by some strange luck, the clearing that we had killed the deer in, where we had left our bows, arrows, and knives, as well as the meat and fur from the deer. We took as enough meat to last us about a week and decided to make some money by selling the fur at the market at Praven. We stopped there for a while, cooking the surplus meat. It tasted good, we had not eaten anything since before the Rhodok raid.
Uplifted by the hot meal, we began our journey once more. by midda

3: A Wild Goose Chase
Coming Soon

4: Helping the King
Coming Soon

5: A Cunning Plan
Coming Soon

Class : Wandering Barbarian.
Difficulty : somewhere around 100%.
Faction : Never got to join a faction on it sadly nor start my own.
Renown : 150 or so.
Cause of death : Forgot i wasn't playing Native, so charged into a group of 25(or so) enemies, most of them headhunters, while i was alone.

Meh.jpg

Hey everyone, been playing this game off and on for about 6 months, great game but got boring after a while...Tried out EGIII and I love the changes made. It has a more epic feel about it, and very challenging. I like that every second could be your character's last if you are not careful. I can't just charge in by myself and carve up the enemy like in native.

I love the Wandering Barbarian, although I feel I would have an easier time with the hunter, being up close in the danger is exciting. Kinda fits along with what Achilles said in Troy about life being more beautiful because every moment could be your last lol.

Well I gave my first crack at the mod without knowing too much about it. So I entered the world EGIII as Polynikes. I was running around killing looters and such, enjoying the new combat feel, when I happened on a battle of about 550 Vaegirs, and about even numbers of some "Migrating Bear Tribe" Well my curiosity led me into the battle to help the Vaegirs. I didn't have a party yet so it was kind of nice knowing any troops killed weren't my own and I could kill for exp, and hopefully take the loot and prisoners after muahaha.

I had my battlesize up around 300, TONS of guys on the field, and those bear guys are fast, it seemed to be even numbers until I saw these flames coming, there were like 8 of them in a group heading right for the Vaegir main force...I noticed them just carve a hole through about 20 Vaegir Infantry like a hot knife through butter. I was on the left flank and decided to help, I found one with about 100 arrows stuck in it, so decided to hit him, one last hit by me and he fell. I didn't have long to celebrate before I got blindsided by another one, BOOM one hit dead....150ish damage, ouch!

I was able to retreat, won a couple tourneys (I love the ones in Nord cities because I don't get stuck with bow very much) and built a decent sized party. I cruised to level 14, with about a 60 man party. I got a charm of regeneration and read on here what it did. Pretty lucky I suppose. I came across about an equal sized party of bear tribe. I decided to have at it.

My forces consisted of various tiers of about 35 infantry, 20 or so rhodok crossbowmen and the rest various tiers of mainly mercenary cavalry. I did my usual thing, infantry positioned in front of archers, cavalry left in reserve to come in when and where I need them. I took a nasty hit from a ranged weapon for about half my health, but overall the tide was in our favor. We took down the usual rush of cavalry by the bear tribe, then pressed to the center of the battlefield. We had a nice spot on a hill so the bear infantry would have to charge up at us while bolts showered on them.

I was amazed how well the bear guys stuck together and clashed with my infantry line pretty evenly. I was on the left side of my line to circle around behind lone bears and turn the flank. I noticed an eater of the dead along with a half dozen of his buddies carving up my center. Again to reference Troy, I felt like Hector watching his guys getting pwned by Ajax and feeling "Damn, if I don't do something about that guy, nobody will." They had made it through the line and were smashing my crossbows when I made it to them. I managed to block an overhead strike from his maul, and then went to town on him. For the moment all seemed alright.

I joined Lezalit on the right flank. He was on the very right of the line and I was to his left, to make sure he got blindsided before I did lol. I took out some Jarids to fling into their skirmishers since I was about 1/3 health at this point. Then....out of the corner of my eye, I see Lezalits head get smashed Gallagher style by a big maul...I turned around to face another Eater of the Dead. I managed to block his next swing.....with my face. And thus came the end of a glorious first attempt at this amazing mod.

I tried being a fallen for a little while, but felt I didn't have the power yet to get the other 2 charms. I know for one I gotta beat the army of the dead, but unsure how to get the last one....Can someone answer that for me please?

Gotta say, thanks a lot Chel. You have rejuvenated my interest in this game, which is amazing by itself, but was missing...something. Which you filled in. I will keep my eye for any updates, and am very much looking forward to the storyline. I am going to make a new Polynikes be the bane of all bear tribes!

Ending Stats: Polynikes level 15 Barbarian. 30kish gold, 500ish enemy slain no fiefs owned. Not a bad first try.

Sorry for the long read heh.

K I'll bite...

Name : Falcon
Class : Skilled Hunter
Attributes at lvl 2 : Str 13
                          Agi 22
                          Int 8
                          Cha 8

Ironflesh 2
Power Draw 11
Weapon Master 2
Athletics 7
Tracking 5
Pathfinding 8
Spotting 5
Inv. Management 1
Wound Treatment 1

RndmNumGenerator said:
Does it count if we died and became a fallen one, but were resurrected later without cheating(actually got the three items normally)?

sure why not

Oh... I just realized I wasn't playing on full difficulty after all. I had full damage to myself and troops, but I forgot to increase the combat AI and speed. Still playing my old guy a little, but I just started a new one as well(Barbarian this time instead of Hunter) We'll see how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom