Sorry to be irritating, but is this intentional?

Users who are viewing this thread

3Form said:
However, doesn't this kind of imply that if the Persian King wanted to mount a campaign he would have to round up a bunch of recruits and train them from scratch every time? This seems implausible to say the least. Experienced soldiers don't suddenly lose their experience after they return from a campaign, they maintain it. You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter, but the Persians must have maintained some sort of standing army or in effect had one due to the size of their empire, and thus there must have been a core of experienced/trained troops the King could draw from.
You're getting close. The Persians did national service for 4 years when they were trained as well, and after that they became the reserve.
As for the army composition being 90% hoplites, that's a little odd. From what I've read there were quite often 1:1 for light troops to hoplites. However, I suspect this varies greatly at different dates. I'd expect to see many more hoplites than peltasts at Marathon for example. But then into the Peleponnesian War-proper the use of light troops increased greatly, once the Greeks got out of the thick-headed heavy infantry mindset. From what I recall, by the Spartan-Theban war, most hoplites had sacrificed armour for mobility. Wasn't there a sort of hybrid, like a lightly armoured hoplite with a long spear but smaller shield? Think I'll shut up and download the mod.

You mean the Iphicratean hoplites, yeah. About the light to heavy troops ratio, that is incorrect as well. Plus if you're going to have one side have **** troops, make sure they at least make up in numbers. If you see parties of veteran hoplites larger than parties of ****ty Persian troops you know your balancing is wrong.

About balance, from what I know the Alpha version is desbalanced regarding status

However, in Beta update or after that it should be better.

Back
Top Bottom