Races

Users who are viewing this thread

LazySteve said:
Personally i'd just make all the races Unisex so you can fill the spots with a more interesting variety, I mean why have human, elf and drow females but not orcs or goblins? how would these guys breed? might aswell make them all unisex races that spawn by magic...

They could be species in which females are kept hidden or stay in their home (especially to give birth to other members of their species), so they don't travel.
Or some of those species could have a very low sexual dimorphism, making the others unable to tell the difference between a male and a female.

ThaneWulfgharn said:
The Mount&Blade has a maximum of 16 "genders", races. For me there should be:
1--Human(male)
2--Human(female)
3--Undead(Skeleton while shadow and mummy head/torso armored/unarmored must be items)
4--Ljosalfar (Male) (Are called the "Light Elves" in norse mythology. Term "Elf" is over-used)
5--Ljosalfar (Female)
6--Svartalfar (Male) (Rename Drow, it's too much like D&D. Svartalfar, instead are Dark Elves from Norse Mythology. They look however, quite alot like elves.)
7--Svartalfar (Female)
8--Dwarf (Male)
9--Dwarf (Female)
10-Orc
11-Goblin
12-Giant
13-Troll
14-Vampire (Male)
15-Vampire (Female)
16-Construct (Golems, gargoyles and such)

For now, I'll keep races as they are:
1 human male
2 human female
3 mummy (undead)
4 elf male
5 elf female
6 drow male
7 drow female
8 dwarf male
9 dwarf female
10 orc male
11 orc female
12 skeleton
13 shadow
14 golem
15 zombie
16 demon

I don't have anything against D&D races. As a matter of fact, much of the mod is inspired in D&D so I see no reason to change it.
Other creatures can be made as well. I just need their "base race" to make sense sound-wise and size-wise.
For instance, I could relatively easily build ghosts, specters and wraiths from shadows, just give them some special "armor" to make their bodies right. They could sound like shadows without any fuzz.
However, if I make goblins based on dwarves, they would sound like dwarves when they scream and talk during combat.
Granted, orcs, dwarves, elves and humans all sound the same for now, but I plan on adding specialized voice sets for each one of them.
Larger creatures like large demons, trolls, giants or ogres could use the golem base, but they would have to be programed to use specialized sounds during combat independently to the warband engine.
If I add gargoyles or other constucts, they would have to be based more on an appropriate size rather than of the type of monster/creature they are (in this case, constructs). We don't want 3+m high gargoyles, right? :grin:
Psychopompos said:
LazySteve said:
Personally i'd just make all the races Unisex so you can fill the spots with a more interesting variety, I mean why have human, elf and drow females but not orcs or goblins? how would these guys breed? might aswell make them all unisex races that spawn by magic...

They could be species in which females are kept hidden or stay in their home (especially to give birth to other members of their species), so they don't travel.
Or some of those species could have a very low sexual dimorphism, making the others unable to tell the difference between a male and a female.
Heh, I don't like the idea of removing females. While sexual dimorphism would make sense for some creatures AND usually male elves do look kind of girly and female dwarves manly, they still are humanoids, not parrots or snakes :razz:

EDIT: Fixed

guspav said:
1 human male
2 human female
3 mummy (undead)
4 elf male
5 elf female
6 drow male
7 drow female
8 dwarf male
9 orc male
10 orc female
11 skeleton
12 shadow
13 golem
14 zombie
15 demon
Before people start polling for a 16th race/gender, I think Guspav forgot dwarf female.

mercav said:
guspav said:
1 human male
2 human female
3 mummy (undead)
4 elf male
5 elf female
6 drow male
7 drow female
8 dwarf male
9 orc male
10 orc female
11 skeleton
12 shadow
13 golem
14 zombie
15 demon
Before people start polling for a 16th race/gender, I think Guspav forgot dwarf female.
Oh! Right. Thanks! :wink:

The new Drows look really great. :grin:

I don't know if it is a bug, a non-implanted yet feature or something totally intended, but the custom races don't seem to be added in the village battle scenarios.  I completed a "train the villagers" quest in a Drow village, the villagers who spawned for the staff-fight training were Human. Later, all the villagers and famers who spawned to defend the village against the bandit raid were Human, too.
(also, on the same way, adding bandits from the new factions to this quest could be interesting if it is possible)

Psychopompos said:
The new Drows look really great. :grin:

I don't know if it is a bug, a non-implanted yet feature or something totally intended, but the custom races don't seem to be added in the village battle scenarios.  I completed a "train the villagers" quest in a Drow village, the villagers who spawned for the staff-fight training were Human. Later, all the villagers and famers who spawned to defend the village against the bandit raid were Human, too.
(also, on the same way, adding bandits from the new factions to this quest could be interesting if it is possible)

This is common with almost every faction.

guspav said:
Here are some screenshots from the new demon base race:

I agree with the above comment. A darker/grittier red. Something with a rough style texture.

Maybe kind of like this? The real textures of the skin make it look more realistic/believable.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=904&tbm=isch&tbnid=KFmzh45eE9wHXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.daz3d.com/rae-el-the-demon&docid=qtwAxDYKFBuJCM&imgurl=http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/rae-el-the-demon-6.jpg&w=500&h=650&ei=aHDtUejuGYHu9ATjqIG4Dg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:8,s:0,i:114&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=197&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=68&ty=103

You could always make them an Angron-type red.

AngronDP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom