Q&A Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

USA Guy said:
Is the Campaign supposed to move so slow? Also the balance needs to be worked on. I cant even fight any battles by myself because the enemy always has more numbers and I don't have the veteran troops to fight them ( princepes and triariri)
You have never played M&B single player before, have you?

Question: You say Macedon will be added in future, do you plan Macedonian infantry to use pikes (or sarrissas) like they would've? I would really like this since mount and blade's mechanics tend to favor cavalry especially in vanilla and I'd love to see lots of cavalry charge my pikes and get slaughtered.

Question 2: Do you plan for formations to be implemented in this mod?

haythem09 said:
Question: You say Macedon will be added in future, do you plan Macedonian infantry to use pikes (or sarrissas) like they would've? I would really like this since mount and blade's mechanics tend to favor cavalry especially in vanilla and I'd love to see lots of cavalry charge my pikes and get slaughtered.

Question 2: Do you plan for formations to be implemented in this mod?
I doubt the pikes will be very effective due to the awful AI, cav would just let them stab then run past them.

Hegemony 268BC managed to have sarrisae in its mod, which was made for the original M&B, so I suppose it could work for Macedonia and the other Successor states.

Pikes are not horrible against Cavalry, the AI are just rather retarded, anyone who has played multiplayer knows not to go near a pikeman. Just tell the pikemen to hold a position and stand closer 10 times, better yet if when you tell them to hold a position they will form some kind of pike wall or Phalanx. Though I'm not sure if formations will be implemented.

haythem09 said:
Pikes are not horrible against Cavalry, the AI are just rather retarded, anyone who has played multiplayer knows not to go near a pikeman. Just tell the pikemen to hold a position and stand closer 10 times, better yet if when you tell them to hold a position they will form some kind of pike wall or Phalanx. Though I'm not sure if formations will be implemented.
They are horrible against cavalry due to the AI, obviously I didn't make my point clear. In multiplayer, sure, they're viable, but it's like an AI in a tournament with a jousting lance, they can't do any damage because all they do is ram you and couched lance you, however you're unable to couch with a pike, hence it would be rather ineffective.

You said pikes and formations in the same point, implying you meant singleplayer, your bringing Multiplayer into your reply simply helps prove my point. Also, if there's no space between the sides of the men in the first row, the 'phalanx' would also prove ineffective due to there being only one stab direction, down. Getting it to not bounce off the top of your own men's heads would be very difficult.

However, I'll put it in a tl;dr form aswell, as I know most people who read these boards tend to have a short attention span...

Pikes are good in MP, but awful in SP. That was my point from the start.

The AI is generally retarded.

Also i found a Sarrissa in Rome once and i find incredibly overpowered. It does the same damage and has the same speed as my Dory, ok, but it is more than twice the length of it and can be used in one hand. Basically meaning there is almost no reason to use my Dory. Worse yet, i can use the Sarrissa on horseback, and i absolutely reck havoc with that thing. I reach people with ease on top of my elephant even when they are far away.

I think it should:
1. Only be able to be used in 2 hands  <-- This a must.
2. Have less speed
3. Not able to use on horseback  <-- So is this

The problem with making the sarissa two handed is that you then negate the possibility of using a shield - which they did - which also then renders phalangites incredibly vulnerable to missile fire.

Unless I'm wrong, and it's possible to have the sarissa in both hands, but also a shield strapped on, as they had, but it sounds tricky.

The shield was strapped to their shoulders, if I am correct. Also, a Sarissa in Rome, any specific mod? Rome at War? Because that Sarissa is quite overpowered, but not in Singleplayer, which again reinforces my point.

Windbusche said:
The shield was strapped to their shoulders, if I am correct. Also, a Sarissa in Rome, any specific mod? Rome at War? Because that Sarissa is quite overpowered, but not in Singleplayer, which again reinforces my point.
(I fergot to take our test sarrisa out.......)

Windbusche said:

From the stuff I've read, it was basically slung around their necks, and yes, it would then hang around the shoulder/arm area.

The fact we're discussing sarissa use for factions makes me happy, as it means that the map's gonna get bigger...awesomeness is just beginning.

The shields that were used with the Sarrissa were small strap shields that offered some protection against missile fire and maybe even some attacks. I'm no modder but i think what would be a good a idea is for the small strap shield to come with the two handed Sarrissa and would stop arrows, maybe the item would be called "Sarrissa and shield" but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

If it is not possible then I'm not sure what would be a better idea, make it two-handed and screw the shield, or make it one handed, which would actually mean you could use a huge-ass hoplite shield with it. I would go with screw the shield, but it's your choice.

But i don't think it should be a problem stopping players from using it on horseback, because that thing is just insane.

Back
Top Bottom