Persistent World Optimization Pack - Complaint #9 Beast Comp Can't Handle Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Made an optimization pack for PW. Basically adds LODs to items that don't have them and made textures smaller to decrease load. Also converted sounds to WAV to decrease random stuttering in game. If you are lagging heavily and play on DX7 or basically just want better performance please don't hesitate to try and post feedback!

http://www.mediafire.com/?hf8dz5c2czt35hh

I... I think I love you.  :grin: This is just excellent, before I was playing the game on the lowest possible settings for DirectX 7 and getting massive framerate lag sometimes, now I can play it on the highest graphics for DirectX 7 and it is as smooth as ever! I can even have dynamic lighting and shadows on! Now, if only someone would do this for MM...  :wink:

Yeah, this is great for us poor fellows.

MM line battles are always laggy for me :sad:

He introduced this pack to cRPG, I asked him, if he can do that as well for PW Mod coz its the msot laggiest mod I know :razz:. It seems it worked, so I guess he can do the same for any other mod as well, i.e. MM. Good Job mate!

Nice to hear JacketofGreen. Oh and hey Yaron found the thread already ehh? I might be making a MM mod similar just when I get more free-time as school is coming up and as a fellow gamer as you guys we tend to be lazy and procrastinate a lot.  :lol:

TacticalSquirrel said:
Nice to hear JacketofGreen. Oh and hey Yaron found the thread already ehh? I might be making a MM mod similar just when I get more free-time as school is coming up and as a fellow gamer as you guys we tend to be lazy and procrastinate a lot.  :lol:

Haha, well thank you very much! My life on this game has changed so much, the sounds are better, the graphics are better and overall the game is more enjoyable.

Aldric said:
I got severals mate who got lagging in huge battle. If it's working as Green said. You really did use a favour.

I would recommend it to anyone with a bad PC or anyone using DirectX 7.

I use a good laptop and DirectX 9 and sometimes I think I'm lagging and it might be ping and vice versa. Any advice?

You should take screenshots.

As for the textures, does it actually reduce quality too much or just filesize? My computer has no trouble, but extra FPS is always beneficial.

DX7, killer.

I mostly don't know what you're talking about. Also, what's the difference between DX7 and DX9? What is DX anyway?

TacticalSquirrel said:
Made an optimization pack for PW. Basically adds LODs to items that don't have them and made textures smaller to decrease load. Also converted sounds to WAV to decrease random stuttering in game. If you are lagging heavily and play on DX7 or basically just want better performance please don't hesitate to try and post feedback!

http://www.mediafire.com/?hf8dz5c2czt35hh

You are so beyond awesome. I love you.

killer110 said:
I mostly don't know what you're talking about. Also, what's the difference between DX7 and DX9? What is DX anyway?
the diffrence between dx7 and dx9 is that dx9 is better. also dx is a microsoft programme which allows programmers access to fast graphics, sound, and input functions. if you have a good graphics you will have a good dx the better the dx the better the graphics,sounds for games.
p.s i have a nvidia gts 450 dx11  :mrgreen:.

killer110 said:

DirectX is a mincrosoft 3d rendering system used by a lot of modern games. Dx7 has fewer advanced features (like High Dynamic Range lighting systems) but runs better on weaker hardware. DX9 has some advanced features and looks better.

IF you can run Dx9, do so. Otherwise, do dx7. 7 looks worse than 9 obviously, but FPS > graphics in most cases.

TacticalSquirrel said:
There is already an official sound optimization patch, which includes the new sound definitions added for PW, and will be kept up to date and added to the download section for the next version. In the pack there are a bunch textures included that are not used in PW, the heraldic textures and brf seem to be exact duplicates from the main release, an invalid bo_pw_ship_a which might stuff up riding on the longboat, lods for the banners which are entirely pointless - they are only used for tableaus on other meshes, and I personally think the lods for the ships and castle wall look hideous - the wall practically disappears unless very close, and the ships have gaping holes from quite close nearby. I'm not sure if it's just the low quality or that the mipmaps are missing or stuffed up, but the textures look pretty bad from far away on my computer. If you wanted to make lods, I'd start with the smaller native items and scene props that don't have them, before making them for big things like walls. Oh, and the hair meshes look a bit strange...

There will probably still be people with very old computers that prefer to use this, but if you do, please remember to test with the official PW release before reporting any graphical bugs.

Textures included are with native items too. Some are leftovers from cRPG that I removed but I may have not deleted all of them. LODs for the walls will barely show unless your super far and it's barely noticeable at all.

TacticalSquirrel said:
LODs for the walls will barely show unless your super far and it's barely noticeable at all.
This is not true: I just tested in game with the test scene, and the sloping castle wall near the ship dock is almost invisible from the opposite bank, and has huge holes from the ladder building place nearby. The ships have large gaps in the hull from only a few meters away. I was testing with the relevant graphics options at maximum.

Just in case you haven't noticed: the latest PW version is incompatible with the current pack. I suggest forgetting about sounds, lods, and editing the PW brf files (most of those changes are unnecessary, anyway) making it just a low detail texture pack, since there is already an official wav sound patch. I don't think lods for the ships and one wall is going to make much difference for anyone, since there are very few of them on the average scene compared to all the other meshes, and you would probably have to keep redoing it after each PW release.

Back
Top Bottom