NE Sieges & Scenes Pack - get a second ladder for your sieges! 9th Jan. 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

soulmata said:
This is some absolutely awesome work.

So... what are the chances I could con you into making a few (like 1-3) maps for use in potential future additions to NE like Mercenary camps or player-built camps?

If such features were to be implemented, I'd be glad to work on these scenes!

Ballacraine said:
I just had a bit of weirdness when seiging Dhirim. ( I did take a screenshot but Image Shack seems to be behaving peculiarly too  :sad: )

Anyway, I will attempt to describe the problem.

At the right hand flank of the seige shields, two of my archers were standing about fifteen feet in the air.
When one was shot he fell off the invisible block onto the ground.
The other maintained altitude!  :roll:

Balla.  :cool:

I have had the very same problem in Dhirim. A pair of siegers tended to go up the imaginary ladder to the Siege tower, then remained there up in the air like floating balloons. In other words, there were high.
I enlarged the battle scene a bit and changed the spawn position of the soldiers, seems to work now.
Planned to release the modified scene in a future version of the Pack.

If I found this thread 3 weeks ago I maybe would not have started editing the sieges myself.
GREAT job on many of these sieges. I really like a lot of them. Although I'm not a fan of staring at an unused ladder during raids with a siege tower, but that's a personal frustration others may not share. (I did not add ladders to sieges with a siege tower.)

After looking at the screenshots on the first page I noticed some things though.
- Khudan, Sargoth, Shariz, Distar Castle, Bardaq Castle and Sharwa Castle are hard to defend. If not impossible. The ramps are to far apart, the defenders can only defend 1 spot.

- the AI pathing in Jelbegi, Rindyar, Tilbaut is probably going 'wrong' because of entry point 0.
From my experience editing the castles and towns is that the AI will decide where to run to right after they spawn.
During the Tilbaut siege, as an example, I think the attackers go for the right smaller ladder because entry point 0 was close to the tower on the right. Right after they spawned they calculated that the right small ladder would be the shortest way to the enemies on that tower. So thats why they are all trying to get on that ladder.

I really like the fact that you look at the Calradia map and include stuff from that location into the siege map.
The idea: Operation Yalen, 'Omaha Beach' style, would be a nice addition to your collection of siege maps.
(Also because Yalen, Veluca and Jelkala are pretty much exactly the same at default.)

Lord Samuel said:
soulmata said:
This is some absolutely awesome work.

So... what are the chances I could con you into making a few (like 1-3) maps for use in potential future additions to NE like Mercenary camps or player-built camps?

I can't say exactly when, but Mercenary camps and a player camp are DEFINITELY coming. Bandit camps possibly, don't know.

Hello.
I've been very surprised discovering the new cities harbours ! It's a really really great work ! Very realistic !
I'm looking forward to see (maybe) new cities for the future  :smile:

Thank's a lot  :wink: I wish you the best  :!:

Quasar said:
If I found this thread 3 weeks agow I maybe would not have started editing the sieges myself.
GREAT job on many of these sieges. I realy like a lot of them. Although I'm not a fan of staring at an unused ladder during raids with a siege tower, but thats a personal frustration others may not have. (I did not add ladders to sieges with a siege tower.)

After looking at the screenshots on the first page I noticed some things though.
- Khudan, Sargoth, Shariz, Distar Castle, Bardaq Castle and Sharwa Castle are hard to defend. If not impossible. The ramps are to far apart, the defenders can only defend 1 spot.

- the AI pathing in Jelbegi, Rindyar, Tilbaut is probably going 'wrong' because of entry point 0.
From my experience editing the castles and towns is that the AI will decide where to run to right after they spawn.
During the Tilbaut siege, as an example, I think the attackers go for the right smaller ladder because entry point 0 was close to the tower on the right. Right after they spawned they calculated that the right small ladder would be the shortest way to the enemies on that tower. So thats why they are all trying to get on that ladder.

I realy like the fact that you look at the Calradia map and include stuff from that location into the siege map.
The idea: Operation Yalen, 'Omaha Beach' style, would be a nice addition to your collection of siege maps.
(Also because Yalen, Veluca and Jelkala are pretty much exactly the same at default.)

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I agree with you on many of your points.

- Ladders in Siege Tower Scenes do look odd. Right now, it's the only way to have two paths to the walls, though. You're not the first one to complain about them, so I'm considering removing them.

-  Some cities are rendered almost impossible to defend with two ladders. Sargoth is an example, and I experienced this defending against the Dark Knights. All the few casualties that we managed to inflict on the DKs fell prior to the ladders, when they were crossing the bridge and running to the walls. After that, once they were on the ladders, nothing could stop them.
And the situation got absolutely hopeless for us, as our defenses were too stretched anyway.
I'm thinking of re-tweak these scenes.

- In Tilbaut, Entry Point 0 is a *****. But you're right, maybe I should completely transform the terrain and create a new 'Entry Point 0'. If you've already worked on those castles yourself, Id' be glad to see what you did!

- Yalen 'Omaha' Beach is on the way as we speak!

Thank you again for your very useful remarks!

I also had problems with Tilbaut. There is little room to work with without changing the entry point and altering the scene.
In the end I decided to just leave it at the default. The ramp is wide enough I think. It's not a hard castle to siege.

What I did for several towns was to move the spawn point for attackers further away from the wall. I think attackers spawned quite close in Sargoths siege. And with 2 ladders that makes it quite a bit easier for attackers yes. With reinforcement waves in mind.

I actually uploaded my work. I dont think its nice to post a direct link, so I wont do that, but you can find it through my profile page.

Well, I did something stupid.  I downloaded the Native Expansion siege pack and inserted it into a Native-based module (Diplomacy, to be exact), and ended up with a screwed up game.  I then preceded to delete the modded SceneObj folder and replace it with the original SceneObj, figuring that would solve the problem.  I launched warband, and when attempting to load my game, Warband crashed, stating that there were 552 files in Scene Obj, and the scenes.txt only allowed for 551.  I quickly edditted scenes.txt to read 552, again hoping to solve the problem.  Again it crashed, stating that there was an unexpected error in the ending of scenes.txt.  I then downloaded the NATIVE siege pack and inserted it there, with again no luck.  I've done just about everything I can think of...  Any suggestions?

Cerce Tentones said:
Well, I did something stupid.  I downloaded the Native Expansion siege pack and inserted it into a Native-based module (Diplomacy, to be exact), and ended up with a screwed up game.  I then preceded to delete the modded SceneObj folder and replace it with the original SceneObj, figuring that would solve the problem.  I launched warband, and when attempting to load my game, Warband crashed, stating that there were 552 files in Scene Obj, and the scenes.txt only allowed for 551.  I quickly edditted scenes.txt to read 552, again hoping to solve the problem.  Again it crashed, stating that there was an unexpected error in the ending of scenes.txt.  I then downloaded the NATIVE siege pack and inserted it there, with again no luck.  I've done just about everything I can think of...  Any suggestions?

When you say that you replaced the modded SceneObj folder, do you mean you replaced it with the "Siege Pack for Native"?
The problem is that the Siege Packs contain only a number of scenes, not ALL of them.
You can't fully restore the original SceneObj folder as it was in Native if you don't have a backup copy somewhere.

Nope; I meant that I deleted the modified SceneObj folder (EDIT: And replaced it with) a copy of the original Diplomacy SceneObj folder.  I usually back up my mods before editing anything in them; problem was, I had gone about 65 days in my main save before encountering a problem.  The game wasn't screwed up until I actually started walking around the castles - and then, if I tried to siege a castle, I ended up starting a battle in the middle of a dungeon.

If you can't find an explanation as to how to help me fix it, it's fine; like I said, I backed up my folders, and I'm not going to go berserk about loosing one character when I have five others.

The problem is probably with your scenes.txt file.

If you want to play with the Siege Pack for Native, you have to overwrite the original scenes.txt with the one given with the "Siege Pack for Native".
Then, if you want to revert back to the original scenes, you have to get the original Native scenes.txt as well.

Doesn't seem to work.  Still decides to state that I have 552 files, and only 551 are allowed - and that's with the original Native scenes.txt and SceneObj folders.  I'm thinking it has to do with my character's save more than anything.  Would you like me to send a copy of what I have - and if so, how?  Again, don't fret too much about it - it's just 60-something days (in game time) that I lost.

Cerce Tentones said:
Doesn't seem to work.  Still decides to state that I have 552 files, and only 551 are allowed - and that's with the original Native scenes.txt and SceneObj folders.  I'm thinking it has to do with my character's save more than anything.  Would you like me to send a copy of what I have - and if so, how?  Again, don't fret too much about it - it's just 60-something days (in game time) that I lost.

Hey, no problem! I've seen that happening before and solved it, so I'm curious to know if that's the same problem with you.
Problem happened because the 'Native Expansion' txt file contains 23 towns instead of 22 in the vanilla 'Native' one.
That's why I had to make a second txt file for those playing with a Native worldmap. And I believe Diplomacy uses the Native worldmap.

I'll send you my e-mail adress through PM, so you can send me the suspected scenes.txt file.
I won't be home before thursday evening, but I will try it then... And try the Siege Pack on my own copy of Diplomacy.

These scenes are great. Tihr is AWESOME. But there is a problem: when I start a new game with Sarranids, after killing the bandit, the merchant of Sahriz speaks with me at an outside scenary, not the tipical interior of house. How can I fix this?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks again  :grin:

Nice mod, but one problem in my game:

My soldiers mostly ignored the 2nd ladder and if I want them to use the 2nd ladder I had to climb onto it and use "Follow me" command so half of them on the ground waiting to get on the 1st ladder would follow me up on the 2nd ladder!

Silly swadian knights!!  :mrgreen:

dynasyhan said:
Nice mod, but one problem in my game:

My soldiers mostly ignored the 2nd ladder and if I want them to use the 2nd ladder I had to climb onto it and use "Follow me" command so half of them on the ground waiting to get on the 1st ladder would follow me up on the 2nd ladder!

Silly swadian knights!!  :mrgreen:
Since we necro'd this topic anyway: That is fixable and if you want I could look into it for you. I might not be as experienced as most sceeners here, but I have some experience from working on this mod at the beginning :smile:

mike56 said:
These scenes are great. Tihr is AWESOME. But there is a problem: when I start a new game with Sarranids, after killing the bandit, the merchant of Sahriz speaks with me at an outside scenary, not the tipical interior of house. How can I fix this?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks again  :grin:

Hello guys, long time no see! Have been busy playing CK2 lately. :smile:

@Mike: Yesterday, I've tried to start a new game in Shariz. I had no trouble at all. My guess is that you're not using the right scenes.txt file.

BUT please note that I'm still in Warband 1.143, and using an old version of Native Expansion as well.
(The problem is that my game refuses to upgrade to 1.153, for yet unknown reasons).
Maybe the more recent versions of NE changed things for scenes.txt? I don't know.

Anyway, I intend to reinstall the whole thing this week, and have a look at this.

EDIT : Okay, yeah, most recent of NE does change things in scenes.txt: 554 scenes instead of 552 previously.
The whole thing might be flawed, now. I'll have to get back to work, then... Ach...

Did other people experience the same problem?

Also, : is Thir still a maritime landscape in your game with NE+Siege Pack? Or is it a harbour surrounded by moutains?

Thanks for your answers.

When I talked with Carnivorous he said he has the same problem.
Tihr, in my game (warband 1.153 and Siege Pack on Diplomacy, with your scenes.txt wich has 551 items) is a harbour...

Thanks  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom