Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no such thing as wrong in English as long as the point gets across then why was I warned on the forums for tlkin liek dis befor?

findecanno said:
If there is no such thing as wrong in English as long as the point gets across then why was I warned on the forums for tlkin liek dis befor?

Because on these forums, when you're in an English-speaking area, you are expected to speak English to the best of your ability. If you have decent English skills and speak like a moron, however, it's not only difficult for non-English speakers to understand you, but is also incredibly annoying. We beat nonsense-speak out of people with a hammer. It's remarkable how fast they learn.

@Ringwraith:

I understand the desire for absolute correctness when what matters isn't merely the conveyance of an idea but also the manner in which it is portrayed, but in that case your entire argument relies upon the assumption that the term "Bannerlord" isn't ideal for their purposes. You claim that nobody knows what it means, and that because it isn't a familiar or recognizable term to the target audience it is more likely to be rejected or ignored by consumers. Is that the gist of it?

So, not only are you assuming that nobody knows what the term means or aren't familiar with it (which we have already shown to be at least partially false, because we have found references to such a term before, which led to the translation argument you had a while ago), but you are also assuming to know exactly what the target audience is (which will affect the reception of the name), and that in the context of such a lack of understanding a consumer is less likely to purchase the game.

I won't claim to know what TaleWorlds' target audience is, but I do seem to recall an interview or something with Armagan mentioning he started out making the game he wanted to make. This was quite some time ago and his position/the position of TaleWorlds might have changed, but I'd still like to think that they make the game more to their own standards than to ours.

Regarding knowledge/familiarity of the term Bannerlord, I quoted you just a few pages ago when you mentioned Tetris being a  mash-up of the prefix "tetra-" and the word "tennis." You said all it would take is someone looking it up to figure out what it means, and that's precisely what happened with Bannerlord when we all sat down and had this argument the first time. You've got a double standard or you overlooked the similarity of the situations.

Regarding rejection by the assumed target audience because of such a lack of knowledge, well, where's your data to support such a claim? Do you have any surveys, samples, or reports? Without any sort of statistical evidence, you're just speculating. You may end up being right, but you may also end up being wrong. Why continue to argue when there's no way to tell until it's out? Besides, it's an entirely subjective matter. Who's to say if people actually give a damn what a game is called, as long as it's not some gobbledygook like you find in a Lovecraft story.

Orion said:
I understand the desire for absolute correctness when what matters isn't merely the conveyance of an idea but also the manner in which it is portrayed, but in that case your entire argument relies upon the assumption that the term "Bannerlord" isn't ideal for their purposes. You claim that nobody knows what it means, and that because it isn't a familiar or recognizable term to the target audience it is more likely to be rejected or ignored by consumers. Is that the gist of it?
Not really, you're reading way more into it than I actually said. I merely said that it looks like something thought up by someone who doesn't speak English very well, which makes it look sloppy and amateurish.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Orion said:
Not really, you're reading way more into it than I actually said. I merely said that it looks like something thought up by someone who doesn't speak English very well, which makes it look sloppy and amateurish.

I speak English very well, and think 'Bannerlord' is a fantastic name. It has a sense of immediacy about it. The three syllables roll off the tongue, and with the stress being on the first syllable, with a lesser stress on the third syllable, it has a note of finality to it. There is also an air of mystery and majesty around the name, as it sounds both high-fantasy-esque and historic at the same time. If I was browsing game boxes in a shop and came across 'Bannerlord', I would pick up the box and read the blurb on the back, if only because the name was intriguing.

Orion said:
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Change positions, now? I remember your arguments that ran along those lines. Is it now just correctness for correctness' sake?
No, my position is still the same, i.e. that Bannerlord is a poorly chosen title. As are Mount&Blade and Warband, for that matter. And I don't see what's wrong with correctness for correctness' sake. Being correct is a desirable state to be in. You might as well ask if I go to sleep every night just to get some sleep. Well yes, I do.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
I speak English very well.
Welcome to the club. :wink:

I think 'Bannerlord' is a fantastic name. It has a sense of immediacy about it. The three syllables roll off the tongue, and with the stress being on the first syllable, with a lesser stress on the third syllable, it has a note of finality to it. There is also an air of mystery and majesty around the name, as it sounds both high-fantasy-esque and historic at the same time. If I was browsing game boxes in a shop and came across 'Bannerlord', I would pick up the box and read the blurb on the back, if only because the name was intriguing.
So would I. And on the back of the box I'd find out the developer is Turkish and I'd think to myself, "Oh, so that's why the name's so weird."

Ringwraith #5 said:
Orion said:
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Change positions, now? I remember your arguments that ran along those lines. Is it now just correctness for correctness' sake?
No, my position is still the same, i.e. that Bannerlord is a poorly chosen title. As are Mount&Blade and Warband, for that matter. And I don't see what's wrong with correctness for correctness' sake. Being correct is a desirable state to be in. You might as well ask if I go to sleep every night just to get some sleep. Well yes, I do.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
I speak English very well.
Welcome to the club. :wink:

I think 'Bannerlord' is a fantastic name. It has a sense of immediacy about it. The three syllables roll off the tongue, and with the stress being on the first syllable, with a lesser stress on the third syllable, it has a note of finality to it. There is also an air of mystery and majesty around the name, as it sounds both high-fantasy-esque and historic at the same time. If I was browsing game boxes in a shop and came across 'Bannerlord', I would pick up the box and read the blurb on the back, if only because the name was intriguing.
So would I. And on the back of the box I'd find out the developer is Turkish and I'd think to myself, "Oh, so that's why the name's so weird."
But how many people will actually think that or even care if they do think that?

findecanno said:
But how many people will actually think that or even care if they do think that?
Well I guess that comes down to one's standards, doesn't it. Realistically, not many. I don't see how that's any reason to adopt a "that'll do" kind of attitude.

Amontadillo said:
Frankly, if you have so much difficulty comprehending the meaning of the name, the metric tonne of Arguments refuting your tediously irrelevant points, and various other items, I sincerely doubt you do.
I'm sorry, but do you throw this **** out on purpose just to annoy me or are you really so thick? Because apparently you don't understand that not liking a name is not the same as not being able to understand the name, and that not being convinced by weak arguments is not the same as not being able to understand said arguments.
Once again I can but throw my arms up and exclaim, you want to know why I treat you lot like a bunch of idiots? That right there is why! If you say idiotic things like that, then I'm going to treat you like idiots.
I'm done for the night, see you tomorrow.

Ringwraith #5 said:
I'm sorry, but do you throw this **** out on purpose just to annoy me or are you really so thick?

I get the feeling you're not going to like what I'm about to say.

Product/Brand names don't follow normal language rules/conventions. If you have a problem with bannerlord, do you also have a problem with Burger King? Is it just the lack of a space that bugs you?

As to the whole translation thing, I've spoken English for a very long time, and I have never come across a banneret. I've not even heard/read it anywhere. So using the 'proper' translation in this case is actually a bad idea. I certainly wouldn't look twice at a game called banneret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom