Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
chivalrous_raider said:
You were once a recruit, were you not?

You might have misunderstood me. I meant that as a compliment for you and as a poke at Ringwraith for being crotchety. :razz:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Trevty said:
Ringwraith, I get the feeling that you don't understand the transient nature of language and the inherent grammatical relativism of English.  There is no such thing as wrong in English (or really, any language), so long as the concept is being transferred or the reader/listener can understand what the writer/speaker means.  End of story.
I'm sorry, but that is simply factually incorrect. Making a statement and then appending "end of story" does not make it so.

Irrelevant. Saying "end of story" by itself doesn't lend the argument any credibility, but that particular argument is entirely true already and your simple denouncement does not counter it satisfactorily. The purpose of language is the communication of thoughts, ideas, and intentions with visual or verbal symbols. Because its purpose is communication, if you successfully communicate a thought or idea through your use of language (no matter how much you butcher it) then it doesn't matter how many minor mistakes you make in the process. In the case of language, the ends usually justify the means.

MadocComadrin said:
Funny thing is, it speaks poorly of his own English skills if his brain isn't compensating for the mix-up by looking at the context.
Maybe that's the point? That his own english skill is low. And you guys started insulting him all of a sudden.

Tork789 said:
MadocComadrin said:
Funny thing is, it speaks poorly of his own English skills if his brain isn't compensating for the mix-up by looking at the context.
Maybe that's the point? That his own english skill is low. And you guys started insulting him all of a sudden.
I did no such thing. Amontadillo was a bit harsh, but generally, if one does not know what one is talking about, or wants to be over-pedantic, it is wise to stay quiet.

Orion said:
I meant that as a poke at Ringwraith for being crotchety. :razz:
Man, this misspelling malaise is spreading. It's spelled "correct"! :wink:

The purpose of language is the communication of thoughts, ideas, and intentions with visual or verbal symbols.
Yes, I know that. It's called semiosis, you could've just said that. And technically they're called signs, not symbols. Not the same thing.

Because its purpose is communication, if you successfully communicate a thought or idea through your use of language (no matter how much you butcher it) then it doesn't matter how many minor mistakes you make in the process.
If that were true, all the proofreaders in the world would be out of a job.
Also, I find your tactic of defending the assertion that there is no such thing as a mistake in using language by saying that it doesn't matter how many mistakes one makes somewhat self-defeating.

Green Apostol said:
igor545 said:
i except of a lot of thing to get upgraded
You what ?
And then Amon goes
Amontadillo said:
Are you seriously so retarded that you can't mentally compensate for one missing letter?
and Scully
Scully said:
That's because you're ******** stupid
Yeah, so maybe the guy just didn't understand what Apostol said and was offended for nothing. Learn some etiquette. Even if he was trying to be over-pedantic as was mentioned above, it doesn't give you a right to insult him.

Tork789 said:
Learn some etiquette.
MadocComadrin said:
...if one does not know what one is talking about...it is wise to stay quiet.
There is a set etiquette here and we know it very well. Those words might have been harsh, but they struck true nonetheless--especially given the history of a certain muted person in this thread.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Because its purpose is communication, if you successfully communicate a thought or idea through your use of language (no matter how much you butcher it) then it doesn't matter how many minor mistakes you make in the process.
Also, I find your tactic of defending the assertion that there is no such thing as a mistake in using language by saying that it doesn't matter how many mistakes one makes somewhat self-defeating.

You're entirely missing the point. The point is that if the idea is conveyed successfully, regardless of whatever mistakes have been made, then those mistakes are inconsequential. In the event that there are grave errors which prevent the effective communication of that idea, then those mistakes are meaningful and should be addressed. That was clearly not the case here with the except/expect issue.

You're taking it to an extreme, applying my assertion to all possibilities, when common sense would dictate that it only applies within reason. There is obviously a point where it's not true, but that doesn't mean it isn't true some of the time. :roll: Dealing in absolutes won't get you anywhere in an argument about a topic so inherently subjective as communication and language.

ryozu said:
I'm starting to hope Taleworlds cancels development on Bannerlord so I won't "have" to browse through this crap.
You don't have to read this thread at all. I'm fairly certain that any official announcements will have some other form of publicity.

Killfacer said:
ryozu said:
I'm starting to hope Taleworlds cancels development on Bannerlord so I won't "have" to browse through this crap.

Sounds about right.

Amontadillo said:
You'll get over it at some point.

You definitely don't seem at all like a twat.

And basing your judgement after a few (or even a single) post doesn't make you seem like the pot calling the kettle black.  :wink:

More based on the fact he engaged in an argument with a 12 year old/troll who barely speaks English and calls himself Green Apostle, then wrote a completely **** sarcy comment to somebody he doesn't know for no reason other than to satisfy is smug needs.

Please, for the love of God and all that is reverent.

http://www.troll.me/images/joseph-ducreux/hey-you-shut-the-****-up.jpg

RW is a ****ing miracle genius worker; only he and he alone can create such a ****in' disgusting derailment of a thread.

Orion said:
Ringwraith #5 said:

You're entirely missing the point. The point is that if the idea is conveyed successfully, regardless of whatever mistakes have been made, then those mistakes are inconsequential. In the event that there are grave errors which prevent the effective communication of that idea, then those mistakes are meaningful and should be addressed. That was clearly not the case here with the except/expect issue.
Oh I see what your problem is. You entered into a conversation about Bannerlord, then this whole "expect/except" bull**** cropped up, and you mistakenly thought I was talking about that. I wasn't, I didn't participate in that at all because it's stupid and immature. That's an easy mistake to make when there are two superficially similar conversations running alongside each other in a thread, so I won't hold it against you.

Anyway, back to what we were actually talking about. The fact of the matter is, Trevty's assertion that "there is no such thing as wrong in English", which you defended, is demonstrably false. Again, if it were true, there would be no proofreaders. The fact that there are is a result of the fact that there are certain professional standards that people who want you to pay money for their products are expected to adhere to. One such standard is to not have mistakes in your text, especially the name of whatever it is you're making, regardless of whether or not they impact the ability of the recipient to understand the message.

You're taking it to an extreme, applying my assertion to all possibilities, when common sense would dictate that it only applies within reason. There is obviously a point where it's not true, but that doesn't mean it isn't true some of the time.
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Just because a mistake is irrelevant doesn't mean it isn't a mistake. The use of "except' instead of "expect" was a mistake, there's no doubt about that. That most people are perfectly capable of recognizing it and guessing what word should have been there doesn't change that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom