[MBS] - SoD: Journals

What theme interests you the most in "SoD: Journals" ?

• The characters

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • The cultural backgrounds

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • The battles

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • The political schemes

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • The "conspiracy"

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Everything !

Votes: 50 45.5%
  • Nothing, it's all lame (then why do you read it, huh ? :P )

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

@Computica: read as much as you please mate, just don't end up like your avatar :razz:

@X-Warrior-X: I don't guarantee certain success if you tell this to your teacher  :roll:

One new part is up ! Seems like the Antarian resistance back at the home continent is failing because of... one of their own ?! TREACHERY !

Also, next time you may expect a showdown between the Black Army and the Conquistadors. Stay tuned.  :cool:

There it is. Aden, together with Swadia and the Black Army mercs, duke it out with the Vaegirs and the Conquistadors.

HUGE part added ! This is the longest, most EPIC and intense part as of yet !
(Btw, don't worry, I still have lots of supposedly epic scenes, mostly saved for later times)

IMPORTANT NOTE: due to the sheer size of this part, I had to remove Part 70 to Post 9, change its date and rename it Part 71; you can read the new part in Post 8, titled Part 70: Ravens and Eagles !

I'd be glad if someone made comment on this newest addition, as it is also supposed to be a sort of experiment (plainly speaking: do you enjoy reading about battles of big importance even if they are this long, or should I strictly stick to "journal format ?).

MorrisB said:
There it is. Aden, together with Swadia and the Black Army mercs, duke it out with the Vaegirs and the Conquistadors.

HUGE part added ! This is the longest, most EPIC and intense part as of yet !
(Btw, don't worry, I still have lots of supposedly epic scenes, mostly saved for later times)

IMPORTANT NOTE: due to the sheer size of this part, I had to remove Part 70 to Post 9, change its date and rename it Part 71; you can read the new part in Post 8, titled Part 70: Ravens and Eagles !

I'd be glad if someone made comment on this newest addition, as it is also supposed to be a sort of experiment (plainly speaking: do you enjoy reading about battles of big importance even if they are this long, or should I strictly stick to "journal format ?).
Without battle scenes it'll just become another soap opera (only on the comp).
BTW your work is awesome and I am super glad that those RESERVED posts won't be enough to hold all of it because that would mean that there's gonna be heaps of story! Good job.

Relatively soon. :wink:

I don't know how many people are aware of it, but I'm working hard alongside Cyclohexane and Kuba on the upcoming release (I'm writing a LOT of texts for quests and such), thus I put the Journals on a hold. Not all fans of the mod will read my writings, but they will probably all download and play the newer, improved mod version, so the priority sequence is understandable IMO.

In either case, I'm proceeding well with my work - I'll be finished with all the necessary stuff before New Year's Eve, and maybe throw in some extra*. Keep in mind the fact that "SOD: Journals" can be continued anytime, but the upcoming release will be probably the very last major release for Native MnB. It is only fitting I put all the effort into it I can manage.

The lack of updates here will be counterweighted by the quantity and quality of the new conversations and quests appearing in the new release of the mod, so I say it's a fair trade.  :roll:

*SPOILER !
I've had my fill with the fact that the Legion "lords" use the same lame texts since God knows which version. I'm planning to give unique conversations for the Centurions and Legate Gaius Marius. Honestly, they are the closest thing to an arch-enemy in SOD, so they deserve to be personalities on their own, especially the Legate himself. This will improve the atmosphere and lead the player to moral conflicts at times, giving both a reason to hate but also to respect the opponent he/she is fighting.

If you need some unkind things for the Legion lords to say about the Caladrian troops and culture, I'll be happy to provide a sequence of insults. 

Thanks for the offer Daedelus, but I'll manage on my own :wink:
And if I experience writer's block (which is unlikely), I know where to turn for inspiration*.

*One out of the many sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHhS5IkRR0

Still, if you happen to have some good ideas, don't hesitate to PM me :wink:

Well...

Not each and every one of them, but they are all very dutiful. If the Emperor demands a complete conquest of Calradia, they will do it by any means necessary*. The player may actually symphatise with a few Centurions, but this won't lead to peace. Mutual respect alone doesn't stop wars.

There will be several personality types randomly distributed among the many Centurions, including:
- "sane" (would be an otherwise good fellow, he tries to talk sensibly and avoid battle if possible)
- "respectful" (holds no grudge against you, but he thinks it's best for the Empire to get rid of you)
- "imperialist" (considers your people inferior, but emphatises that both you and he would benefit a lot if you submit)
- "racist" (says your people are all barbarians who endanger the Empire in long terms, so you must die)
- "crusader" (similar to "racist", but commits genocide for religious reasons rather than political ones)
- "capitalist" (wages war for personal gain, doesn't care of others)
- "liberator" (he thinks that he's actually 'liberating' Calradia from deluded despots - including you - and thus he does good)
- "nihilistic" (does anything he pleases, when and where he pleases, for whatever sick reason - devoid of reason and/or emotion)

At a time, I was considering whether I should ask Kuba to make it possible to make peace with the Legion, but that may make things too easy and takes away the actual point of the whole invasion.
If you're bothered by the fact that you can 'make friends' (seemingly), we could try to disable the relation improvement/decreasement of the Centurions, but I see little point in that.

I don't mind being able to make friends with them, but when the invasion force attacks, and your friends with enough of them so that only about 5000 attack your group of 1000 antarian elite infantry.... well then, thats not fun, is it ?

UPDATE.

Take a peek into the personal life and thoughts of Rihard Stelhart, king of New Antaria, through his personal journal !
Remember what a wimp he was ? He's getting tougher, though he still has a lot to learn to be awesome.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on certain texts for V5.0 and am proceeding well.

Thanks for the compliments :smile:

UPDATE.

If you recall (or look back), Dustum Khan was thinking hard how he could make a mess of Sanjar's life. Now he figured out.
The new part also contains hints of "the conspiracy"...

Hello dear readers, what I give you today is not really an update, just extra reading material about a certain mercenary group in the service of the Imperial Legion: the Bastard Brothers.

I didn't plan on sharing the individual tales of lesser mercenary guilds/groups in SOD: Journals, but manekeeman encouraged me to share this particular short story. So here ya' go:

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE BASTARD BROTHERS

"Once upon a time, a Centurion was a big womanizer, and ended up with four kids (three sons and a daughter), each one from a different woman - one son from his wife, the rest from lovers. The Centurion was rather wealthy and loved all his children equally, and his wife was Zerrikanian so she was used to the thought that a man can have many women by his side.

However, as the children grew up, the only 'lawful' son grew cold towards his siblings, he thought he was above them (while in fact he was just an arrogant whiny little dickweed who needed a good spanking). As the Centurion aged, the siblings began quarreling who would inherit the wealth. Then the Centurion died - some say because of old age, others say it was poisoning, the case was never cleared. Still, due to Imperial laws the 'lawful' son got all the wealth and properties and kicked out his siblings. The girl and the two boy siblings got pissed and soon murdered the 'lawful' son and disguised the event as an accident. But even after that, their claims to their father's wealth were denied by the authorities and were gifted to the Centurion's other relatives instead.

This was the point when the three siblings got truly pissed and decided they would ****up all this buerocratic **** make things change, by radical means if they have to. The two boys became mercenaries, and through skill and born talent soon rose in fame and respect, while the girl married an influential Imperial nobleman and thus ensured the financial safety for her brothers. After the husband's unfortunately early departure from mortal life, the girl inherited his wealth and used it together with the two brothers to form a new guild of mercenaries. As the two boy brothers met and allied with many others like themselves during their travels - bastard children ripped of their heritage even though they were often more competent than the 'lawful' children -, the guild became known as the "Bastard Brothers".

This was long decades ago, and the guild has only expanded ever since. However, while the Bastard Brothers are a reliable asset for the Empire, the commoners look upon them with hate and despise, because the majority of the members are not much better natured than raiding bandits and are of questionable origin to say the least, as the Bastard Brothers have no objection against recruiting criminals fleeing from the law. Life within the guild can be tough, though, cos' unpopular members tend to end up mutilated and thrown into a river or a barrel within an abandoned alley. It is also a common rumor that the Bastard Brothers are employed by imperial authorities only because certain nobles would pay almost any price to keep up their good reputation and avoid leaking information about certain 'past affairs'...

Still, despite their sinister attitude, questionable past and criminal activities, the Bastard Brothers remain a significant force within imperial cities and armies alike; in towns, they often help patrols to catch criminals like slave-traders (though many claim that the Bastard Brothers do this only cos' they don't want local business rivals...), while in the battlefield they act as the Legion's hired shock troops. The Bastard Brothers are the most ruthless rabble of murderers in the service of the Legion, and those Centurions who hire their services are often quite eager to send them charging in the first line, hoping that the ensuing slaughter will 'fix their past mistakes'... but there are always plenty of bastard children, cutthroats, killers and such to fill up the ranks.

Having many sources of income (including, but not limited to: extortion, larceny, smuggling...), Bastard Brothers can afford good quality equipment for themselves and generally fight in melee where they don't have to restrain themselves. Each guild member uses a personalised equipment, the only regulated piece is the helmet, which always covers the face and thus prevents others from discovering the guild member's identity."

Date of writing unknown.
Author also unknown, and probably dead.

Have fun reading, main story will also update soon, I promise :wink:

Back
Top Bottom