How to invade Russia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
So, throughout history, Russia has been invaded many times. From the Mongols, to the Swedes, to the French, and lastly, by the Germans. However, every time they have failed. The only one who was able to control (in a fairly loose term of the word) Russia for any extended period of time was the Mongols, or the Golden Horde, if you prefer, and that was only due to their high mobility and letting the Russians rule themselves, for the most part, and even then they were driven out after a hundred years or so.
Actually, you fail. The Swedish (mainly) vikings colonised Russia, and remained on the russian throne until they had married and remarried with slavic women many times enough for the viking blood to die out.
So, in fact the swedes signed their own deal of death.

Right.. Lets not get carried away here... Stop flaming nations, thats not nice.. If you burn flags at home, then fine, but don't take it out in the public.

There's a smoke alarm in my house, so whenever I burn the Russian flag I move into public. Too bad there's too many Russians in this country that try to kill me.

I have the greatest idea here.  Lets get all of the superheros or villians together like the joker, or superman, and people like rambo, or Vendetta.  We might suffer a dead catwomen, or a turned gay batman, but we wouldnt sacrafice troops....just fictional superheros.

If the USA was going to invade Russia they would have to wait until Putin died since he could probably single handedly destroy the entire US army + Chuck Norris.

putin0.jpg

0345_60putin.jpg

putin-judo-460_978657c.jpg

vladimir-putin-hunting-with-rifle.jpg

putin-hq.jpg

putin1jpg

Man that is the most photogenic Russian ever.

He is also probably the greatest example of a walking real life James Bond villain ever. I mean, honestly, could he try to look less evil?

Spectre48 said:
I heard Putin described once as Stalin with pecs.

The thing is is that he doesn't have Stalin's sweet 'stache. I mean, he was a complete ******* back then, but his epic moustache almost made up for it.

stygN said:
I guess there were some guys in Siberia after all. And I'd say 7th of January is more early 1942 then mid...
:roll:
I didn't say there weren't, I said there wasn't a large army anywhere. The Germans had a significant numerical advantage across the Eastern front, having committed more men and materiel than the Russians could actually muster at that point. Russia did eventually overtake Germany in terms of men, armour and planes produced, but in 1941 Germany was the lead producer of arms and armour.
As I said, the Soviet reinforcements from Siberia gave them a grand total of around 100 000 men (they were still behind in armour and guns) more than the Germans, and this is after the high casualties the Germans had suffered getting to and fighting over Moscow. At this point, Stalin had committed most of his military to the Eastern front; Germany still had significant numbers in reserve in the theatre, let alone forces they could have drew on from elsewhere.

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
He did not count on the fact the Russians would run, would avoid battles, would burn their own villages, would burn their own, hundreds of years old sacred capital.  He did not count on the fact the Russians would become completely desperate. 
Actually, he knew fine well that they would. The scorched Earth defensive tactic has been in use since long before Russia was a united nation. Napoleon essentially made two mistakes; in the first instance he overestimated the capacity and ability of his logistic system, and in the second he mistakenly believed the Russian peasants would prefer to be under French rather than Russian rule. Of the two however, it was the first which nailed him.
Napoleon didn't lose a battle.  The Nazi's, after initial success, quickly started losing every major battle. 
The first battle the Germans lose is the battle for Moscow, after the advance has already faltered. The only difference is the Germans attempted to press in to Moscow; Napoleon retreated as soon as he realised he could not last out the winter.
However, the Russians beat Napoleon on numerous occasions; Vilna for example.
Compared to the Nazi's, who lost two of the most major, decisive battles in the war, Stalingrad and Kursk, to the Soviets on Soviet soil.  The Nazi's lost militarily to the Soviets, unlike the French, who, despite the increasingly harsh conditions, spent the campaign stepping on the Russian army. 
Those battles were lost AFTER the winter of 1941. Hitler ordered his men to stand and fight for every inch. Napoleon retreated as soon as he realised the cause was lost. Really, the nazi's got the upper hand there, Napoleon lost one of the largest armies the world had ever seen for nothing, the Germans at least lost men in battle rather than the march.
I'm not sure why Napoleon gets so much flack for Russia but Alexander gets virtually none for India.  The two are a much more valid comparison than Napoleon and Hitler. 
Probably because we have Napoleon's plans and journals, and thus can see what a truly idiotic idea his invasion was, while Alexander benefits from a lack of records. When considering the invasion, Napoleon himself highlights the uncertainty of maintaining a supply line, the doubt that such a large army could be supplied by conventional means in the first place, his lack of intelligence regarding both the geographic and political situation in Russia and uncertainty regarding Russia's ability and will to fight. And he still decides to invade with a plan which could, at best, be considered as crossing one's fingers ...
The Soviet tactic of attrition - overpowering the German army with numbers, waves of recruits, and unrelenting attacks overtook the Germans. 
That tactic was being used by the Germans in 1941. The Russians had dug in to three defensive belts and chosen to fight for every inch the German's gained. Possibly one of the biggest ironies of history; Zhukov himself was both amazed and shocked at the German propensity to throw their troops headlong into a futile frontal assault. It wasn't until the Russian advance against Germany that they began using the same tactic; difference at that point being Russia had only scraped the top of her recruitment pool while Germany was scraping the bottom.

lordwolf17 said:
shut the hell up you idiot
why does everyone think all that Russians do is drink vodka?
Because we've met them?

Archonsod said:
stygN said:
I guess there were some guys in Siberia after all. And I'd say 7th of January is more early 1942 then mid...
:roll:
I didn't say there weren't, I said there wasn't a large army anywhere. The Germans had a significant numerical advantage across the Eastern front, having committed more men and materiel than the Russians could actually muster at that point. Russia did eventually overtake Germany in terms of men, armour and planes produced, but in 1941 Germany was the lead producer of arms and armour.
As I said, the Soviet reinforcements from Siberia gave them a grand total of around 100 000 men (they were still behind in armour and guns) more than the Germans, and this is after the high casualties the Germans had suffered getting to and fighting over Moscow. At this point, Stalin had committed most of his military to the Eastern front; Germany still had significant numbers in reserve in the theatre, let alone forces they could have drew on from elsewhere.

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
He did not count on the fact the Russians would run, would avoid battles, would burn their own villages, would burn their own, hundreds of years old sacred capital.  He did not count on the fact the Russians would become completely desperate. 
Actually, he knew fine well that they would. The scorched Earth defensive tactic has been in use since long before Russia was a united nation. Napoleon essentially made two mistakes; in the first instance he overestimated the capacity and ability of his logistic system, and in the second he mistakenly believed the Russian peasants would prefer to be under French rather than Russian rule. Of the two however, it was the first which nailed him.
Napoleon didn't lose a battle.  The Nazi's, after initial success, quickly started losing every major battle. 
The first battle the Germans lose is the battle for Moscow, after the advance has already faltered. The only difference is the Germans attempted to press in to Moscow; Napoleon retreated as soon as he realised he could not last out the winter.
However, the Russians beat Napoleon on numerous occasions; Vilna for example.
Compared to the Nazi's, who lost two of the most major, decisive battles in the war, Stalingrad and Kursk, to the Soviets on Soviet soil.  The Nazi's lost militarily to the Soviets, unlike the French, who, despite the increasingly harsh conditions, spent the campaign stepping on the Russian army. 
Those battles were lost AFTER the winter of 1941. Hitler ordered his men to stand and fight for every inch. Napoleon retreated as soon as he realised the cause was lost. Really, the nazi's got the upper hand there, Napoleon lost one of the largest armies the world had ever seen for nothing, the Germans at least lost men in battle rather than the march.
I'm not sure why Napoleon gets so much flack for Russia but Alexander gets virtually none for India.  The two are a much more valid comparison than Napoleon and Hitler. 
Probably because we have Napoleon's plans and journals, and thus can see what a truly idiotic idea his invasion was, while Alexander benefits from a lack of records. When considering the invasion, Napoleon himself highlights the uncertainty of maintaining a supply line, the doubt that such a large army could be supplied by conventional means in the first place, his lack of intelligence regarding both the geographic and political situation in Russia and uncertainty regarding Russia's ability and will to fight. And he still decides to invade with a plan which could, at best, be considered as crossing one's fingers ...
The Soviet tactic of attrition - overpowering the German army with numbers, waves of recruits, and unrelenting attacks overtook the Germans. 
That tactic was being used by the Germans in 1941. The Russians had dug in to three defensive belts and chosen to fight for every inch the German's gained. Possibly one of the biggest ironies of history; Zhukov himself was both amazed and shocked at the German propensity to throw their troops headlong into a futile frontal assault. It wasn't until the Russian advance against Germany that they began using the same tactic; difference at that point being Russia had only scraped the top of her recruitment pool while Germany was scraping the bottom.

lordwolf17 said:
shut the hell up you idiot
why does everyone think all that Russians do is drink vodka?
Because we've met them?

Your analysis still fails to explain how any combination of military force in the world could possibly hope to defeat the Putin.

This would mean that Russia had an advantage in manpower, right? I have always meant that the Russians had more people then Germany, they could throw people in to combat at a much larger rate, and a much faster rate then the Germans!

Another thing, according to Wikipedia Soviet only lost 2,6 million more soldiers (KIA or MIA) then the Germans (KIA or MIA), so the well equipped German, super army, trained and ready for attack lost around 4 million men KIA or MIA on the eastern front, while the Soviet army, poorly equipped, poorly trained and under reformation lost 6,2 million KIA or MIA.

IF the Soviet had only been able to field 4 million men, they would be defeated and the Germans would loose maybe 2,5-2,8 million. The problem was, the Soviet could field a much larger army! Thus, they won partly because of manpower!

The winter might have destroyed some German troops, but they didn't destroy the recruitment pool. The population of Germany was not big enough, they didn't have enough men!

But wait a minute... Look at the figures, Soviet lost about 13-14% of its population and still brought in more recruits... Greater Germany (as in Germany, Austria, Sudetenland, and so on) lost 8,5 - 9% of its population and used 50 year olds and 12 year olds as soldiers! Was 90% of greater Germanys population female? Or cripples? Or 90 years old? You answer me, but the main thing is that the Soviets managed to field an army even though they lost the most men (in % and in number) then any other country (apart from Lithuania who lost about the same in %, but then again Lithuania did not play a mayor part in the war and had a very small population)! So, how can you possibly say that the manpower of the Soviet army, and the power of will of the Soviet Army, and the sacrifice of the Soviet people played NO part in Germanys defeat on the east front?

Again, the Winter didn't push the Germans back to Berlin. The Red Army did that. And they started to do so in December 1941, just a few months after the German campaign begun. Did 2-3 months of bad weather destroy the German army, but left the Red Army intact? Or were the Red Army simply super human and were able to defeat both the winter and the Germans? Germany had no mayor advance after Operation Blue and the advance into Caucasus that ended in November 1942. This Operation Blue was the last ditch effort, a combined retreat and assault. It was a smart move... If only the Germans had an army to break through with. They didn't.

---

Yes, the winter brought pain, but how can 3,5 million troops, thousands and thousands of tanks and planes get beaten by ONE winter! As far as I can read your post the whole German army got wiped out by the winter of 41/42.. Did every one of those 3.5 million, very well trained, very well equipped soldiers die from cold?

The Soviet soldiers had less food the the Germans, less supplies, less economy, less industry, and still, they prevailed. They had the same winter as the Germans did. Probably more Soviets died from the winter then Germans, but the Soviets were able to put more men in to the fight!

When you walk up a steep hill with a heavy back pack on, you get tired. Who's fault is it? The backpack or the steep hill? With out the steep hill you could carry the backpack, and with out the backpack you could climb the steep hill. The Germans tried to climb the steepest hill (Russian winter), with the biggest backpack (Red Army), and they failed.

Don't forget the huge casulties to soviets were greatly due to the civilian loss of life in the German occupation zones and the seige of Leningrad.

11,400,000 Soviet Civilians died. Unarmed civilians.

That is also up for debate, frankly I don't think anyone have counted them. I've heard numbers ranging from 10 mill to 15 mill civilian dead, and around 6 to 8-9 military dead. According to Wikipedia around 10,651,000 civilian and 6,651,000 military dead (KIA/MIA), and then around 3,6 million POW killed. But then again Wikipedia state the death toll of Poland as "Unknown", another place on wikipedia it say Poland lost over 17% of its population (that counts to around 6 million dead), and by far mostly civilians.

(Also, sorry that I failed to mention Poland as the country loosing the most men in % in WW2, but again, Poland was not a mayor combatant of WW2, it was mainly civilian deaths, and around 4 million of them were Jews gassed or killed in KZ camps.)

So yes, the "commies" lost far more men then the "nazis", and still had a wast army at the end of the war. This means, the Germans got beaten by quantity.

It was also down to that Stalin (Eventually) realised he was no commander, and left it down to Zhukov and other great generals.

Hitler was far more stubborn, refusing to accept advice of his greatest commanders. That was one of the main differences between Stalin and Hitler, but in the core they were very similar.

Yes, in core they were bat**** crazy, but Stalin had a rather (note, rather) sane mind. No one knows for sure what physical and mental condition Hitler had, but several claim that he used a bucket of drugs a day and had severe tremors in his left hand suggesting Parkinson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom