Gore and Dismemberment - removeable limbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Um...Dismemberment should pretty much only happen on a knockout blow. If you lose a major part of your body, you are going down, either from shock, or whatever. It should also be pretty damn rare, as it requires a lot of force, and near perfect location of a blow. Troops who suffer a loss like this will very likely die afterwards anyway - but in the off chance that they manage to survive, they'll probably become retired troops.

well, i've understood there is, or will be a castle for the player to have. or it was just a suggestion. but either way, a retired solider of high rank, missing an arm, what better decoration in the castle? A trophy solider, missing a limb, it'll be just like real wars. *grin*

True enough complete beheadings on the battlefield were a slight rarity.  The force of a slash would more rupture your insides than completely cut off armoured appendages and such

Though I always feel the need for something more to happen when I ride past an unarmoured peasent wielding my shiny bastard sword, in that sort of situation, with the momentom and the oppenets lack of armour a limb should be in serious danger of detaching itself.

Well it can always provides a good monty python moment ...

Dark Knight .... 'Tis but a scratch.
ARTHUR ... 'A scratch?  Your arm's off!'
Dark Knight ...  'No, it isn't.'
ARTHUR ... 'Well, what's that then?' (Points to arm)
Dark Knight ... 'I've had worse.'
ARTHUR ... 'You're a liar.'
Dark Knight ... 'Come on you pansy!'

Kamamura said:
Removable limbs! What a brilliant idea!

Basically, you would have 4 slots (2 for arms and 2 for legs) and you could remove your original limbs and replace them with prosthetics of your choice! A kind of medieval cyber-implants!

For example, consider this setup:
Left arm: Rusty hook
Right arm: Auto-rotating morning star
Left leg: Huge, double-bladed axe
Right leg: Wooden peg-leg (blunt weapon for taking prisoners)

And you would have 4 attack buttons (one for each limb) in a Tekken style, chaining wild combos! In action, you would resemble a rotating shelf in a hardware store!

Hey, it's even better than fighting with two swords, even more realistic! You could attack from 4 direction simultaneously, totally unblockable!
This has to be the funniest post on the forums, laughed when it was posted, half a year later it still gives me a laugh :lol:

It was my first thought when I saw the title of the forum. I was going to post something like it (though not as well said, I'm sure), and then I saw it.

Fipp: yeah, he could become a trainer or something.

Who cares if it isn't possible to chop off someone's head? Undead don't exist either, and they're in the game! Abandon realism for the sake of entertainment is my opinion. I wan't gore!!

As an option which could be turned of or whatever like blood i would have nothing against it! *chop chop*

I dont believe that it will be modable so if armagan dont do it there wont be dismembering or whatever.

As far as i know, most parts of the human body are to light and easily moved to be cleanly chopped off. A strike would accelerate the target body part till it was moving at the same speed as the sword itself. By that time, the sword is no longer cutting through the limb.

I think a video from TheArma showed this point. They had a sword (as you do) and a pole made of some kind of wood or something. They use those poles fairly frequently, and when it's fixed, even a blunt sword can cleave right through them.

The guy then swung his sword at a pole that was just free standing, and the pole got knocked right off where it was standing without much of a scratch.
So if you use your bare arm to defend a sword attack, you're probably gonna get a big nasty slice, but your arm's not coming off.

But then again, i've heard tales of (2 handed swords) that have cloven both horse and rider in one hit.

Ingolifs said:
But then again, i've heard tales of (2 handed swords) that have cloven both horse and rider in one hit.

You HEARD tales? That makes it sound as though this is a recent event. I wanna know what re-enacting group this is - I want to join.

I'm against removable limbs, too. Limbs and heads are too difficult to remove in combat situation.

I fully support limbs flying off in all directions, innocent screaming peasants being dragged around by their intestines across the fileds, bones being broken and protruding from within the soft flesh, heads ripped off with rest of the body shaking uncontrolably in a spasm, brains smeared acrossed the battlefield, and screaming mortals skewered on pikes. I'm all for the idea, and believe it would enhance the enjoyability of the game. However, I also think that primarily other things should be fixed first.

Until now, I don't understand why footmen where made to run as fast as horses for example ::sad:

Ingolifs said:
As far as i know, most parts of the human body are to light and easily moved to be cleanly chopped off. A strike would accelerate the target body part till it was moving at the same speed as the sword itself. By that time, the sword is no longer cutting through the limb.

I think a video from TheArma showed this point. They had a sword (as you do) and a pole made of some kind of wood or something. They use those poles fairly frequently, and when it's fixed, even a blunt sword can cleave right through them.

The guy then swung his sword at a pole that was just free standing, and the pole got knocked right off where it was standing without much of a scratch.
So if you use your bare arm to defend a sword attack, you're probably gonna get a big nasty slice, but your arm's not coming off.

I think a sword like a katana could cut a limb off pretty easily since it is sharpe and it does not push through which would make the limb move too much.  It makes sense that a sword like a twohander could cleave someone wearing armor on a horse, since the armor and saddle would sort of hold them in place and the horse's motion would give a lot of momentum.

Also, a headsman's axe is not flat, but rounded so it would be nearly impossible to cute a head off in one blow - even if it were flat, two, you would need a perfectly level cut to do the job.  I think you would actually have an easier time decapitating someone standing up than you would someone who was tied down for that reason alone.  I remember seeing some movie where a union soldier was practicing his horsemanship and use of his saber and he went down this huge line of pumpkins, each of them on a pedestal and not tied down in any way, and slice each one neatly and perfectly in half with his sabre.

It's obviously not something easy to research, but that makes me think it is probably doable.  Probably it did not happen much, though, since people don't really cooperate int heir decapitation.

bryce777 said:
I think a sword like a katana could cut a limb off pretty easily since it is sharpe and it does not push through which would make the limb move too much.  It makes sense that a sword like a twohander could cleave someone wearing armor on a horse, since the armor and saddle would sort of hold them in place and the horse's motion would give a lot of momentum.

Also, a headsman's axe is not flat, but rounded so it would be nearly impossible to cute a head off in one blow - even if it were flat, two, you would need a perfectly level cut to do the job.  I think you would actually have an easier time decapitating someone standing up than you would someone who was tied down for that reason alone.  I remember seeing some movie where a union soldier was practicing his horsemanship and use of his saber and he went down this huge line of pumpkins, each of them on a pedestal and not tied down in any way, and slice each one neatly and perfectly in half with his sabre.

It's obviously not something easy to research, but that makes me think it is probably doable.  Probably it did not happen much, though, since people don't really cooperate int heir decapitation.
Never seen an executioner's sword? Long, straight, weighted blade. Still didn't work. :smile:

Jon Snow said:
bryce777 said:

Never seen an executioner's sword? Long, straight, weighted blade. Still didn't work. :smile:

Are you trying to tell me that The Last Samurai was historically inaccurate, sir?  :lol:

Some people say that Japanese swords could easily do what they did in The Last Samurai, others argue that it was not so...
That is not the point of this thread I think. It doesn't matter whether you can or can't sewer someone's limb off in 1 hit with a sword. In reality, you could do so with a blunt club.... if you smash them long enough with it (and providing the club doesn't break) ::razz:

It would probably be a start as well, if smaller limbs such as wrists could be sewered, since we will all agree (I hope) that you could do so. (there was a newspaper article somewhere in which someone did exactly that with a machete...) Would be nice if you could continue to stab / slash / beat the **** out of your victums even after they have died / been knocked uncontious, and literally RIP their limbs, organs and brains out, but that may be slightly too difficult to impliment ::smile:

And while you might not take off a head with a blow from a mace the skull will cave in and squish away, cutting someone in the face with a sword riding on a horse smashes through the head and cuts/smashes the upper bits away...

But dismemberment for the sake of entertainment has my vote. If the argument not to have it is reaslism (enough tricks can be done with an engine when you own it, only a matter of time and will) then why do we have peasants blocking the head of my greataxe powered by strength 30 and a horse in full flight with their pitchforks? How come you never drop your weapon? How come your axe never gets stuck in someone's corpse/armor/shield? How do you just get up after taking a two handed sword in the head? How come some brigands hammering at me dealing no damage at all due to my heavy platemail interrupt my attacks so I can't strike them back? If they were to grab hold of me and hold me down and stab me through the visor of my helmet or weak points at the joints, then sure I'd buy that, but not the random hammering...

i like the idea b/c now your charcter could die in battle, like a enemy Knight comes form behind and takes off your arm. Now u cant use a shield or a two handed weapon. Then another knight takes off your head there ends your story....restart from last save!!

Back
Top Bottom