Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Computer Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OR GeForce RTX 3070Ti
GPU Driver Version: Both 546.29 and 546.33 had the issue during troubleshooting
CPU: Intel i7-9700KF
RAM: 32GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Toshiba 7200RPM HDD
Game Version: The input field below will only let me enter one version, but this occurred both during v1.2.7 and after v1.2.8 was released.

When I first started playing the game, my computer had a 1660 SUPER in it. I apologize for not remembering exactly which graphics settings I used, but they were as high as they could get with Motion Blur+Depth of Field disabled and a couple very harsh settings such as antialiasing method down slightly, and the game ran great barring a couple crashes that have since been noted as fixed in patch notes. In this state, I discovered that the automatic recording feature of GeForce Experience that I used to keep 1 minute of live-recording footage would just turn itself off once the game was loaded into the main menu. The overlay was still active, but the symbol representing recording would swap from the two-arrows-in-a-circle icon representing recording to the pause symbol. Opening the overlay and telling it to turn on recording would display "recording started" but immediately swap back to the paused symbol. Not being a particularly core feature to my experience, I shrugged it off.

Then, my friend gave me a banger deal on his EVGA RTX 3070Ti as he's the sort that always needs to have the latest generation of anything. I used Display Driver Uninstaller to get a fully-fresh install of the drivers after installing the card and went to work seeing how shiny I could make all my games. This included re-enabling the GFE automatic recording feature and setting Bannerlord's graphics as high as they can go excluding Motion Blur and Depth of Field, which I have left disabled.

From this point on, the recording software stayed "engaged," but the game would follow a predictable route. Within about 30-45min of gameplay, certain "top level" semi-transparent textures would begin to shimmer intensely: some ground textures on the world map (this is hard to describe; the base texture would look fine, but anything like light snow on top of it would shimmer), the "bundles of thick grass in trees" during battle, icons representing items in inventory would become either scrambled black bars or rainbow-colored static, and especially noticeable would be a rainbow glare effect on the water puddles in the dungeon scene. Exiting to main menu at any point following this would show the animated silhouette of the horse rider in the loading screen as a rectangle of rainbow static sliding from left to right instead. This would soon be followed by 3D rendering glitches: the group/army icons on the map, the character models, and horses would all start generating extremely long spikes making army icons look like tribbles and battles complete chaos. If this were ignored for more than one to three or so scene transitions, a click would be heard from inside my computer case and the system would stay on a completely black screen with no input response until manually reset via the case button.

Suspecting full memory or GPU overheat, I ran HWInfo during these events but found nothing maxxing out or out of the ordinary; RAM and VRAM showed plenty of headroom and the GPU is set to throttle at 85degC but never breached 83degC, and the CPU is under a hilariously over-specced water cooler I put in for giggles so it barely gets warm. In further troubleshooting, I:
  • did a couple clean reinstalls of the video drivers via DDU
  • jumped the hoops to enable Resizable BAR
  • swapped the GPU's fan curve from a quieter mode to "aggressive"
  • removed the GPU from the case and gave it a decent cleaning, using contact cleaner on the PCIE pins and removing the fan assembly to get the heatsink completely free of dust and cat hair (I'm not brave enough to crack open/replace the thermal compounds beneath the heatsink)
None of these had any effect on the problem. It was at this point, however, I remembered the recording software hiccup with the old video card. So, I turned off GeForce Experience's automatic recording, and have played for hours straight with zero issues since. Since I can now apparently recreate the issue with a flip of a switch, let me know if there are any more advanced logging systems I could use to help with debugging.

P.S. Relatively irrelevant to you guys, but the card is performing glitch-free in many other games including EVE Online, Forza Horizon 5, X4 Foundations, and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint with their graphics settings cranked and recording enabled as well.
It is somewhat interesting that I do recall the same "spikes" glitch occurring in Warband on my GeForce 6800 and Windows XP way back in the day before I ever considered recording anything, though that took relatively long sessions to manifest and didn't cause crashing before it just got so annoying that I restarted the game.

Last edited:
The issue you have reported has been forwarded to our QA team for further investigation. We might need additional information regarding this issue, such as screenshots or videos, save files or dump reports. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Yes, the last time I started up the game I
forgot to disable recording. Upon entering pre-battle setup, the unit markers (where you assign units and their leaders/hero troops) and the markers that float over the formations during placement were a flowing rainbow color. Going into the GFE overlay and stopping recording made the markers stop "flowing" but they stayed a glitch rainbow color. However, the game then behaved normally; once the scene transitioned away from the battle I never ran across more glitched graphics or crashing for the hour or so I played.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread your question. The problem does not persist when recording is stopped.

Last edited:
No, I've never seen these (or any other "glitchy") effects before at all since I started using the GFE recording funcion ~5 years ago. My only complaints with the software are related to policy rather than function. :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom