Aldric

Grandmaster Knight

crusade.jpg

The Crusader campaign

H2zjLGA.png

Next HCRP Meeting : Cyprus
When ? Saturday 13/04 7 PM GMT

Background said:
In 1187, the Sultan of Egypt, Salah-al-Din, otherwise known as Saladin, was looking to reclaim territories that his ancestors almost a hundred years back had lost during the First Crusade, where Christian forces urged by the Pope, Urban II, went to capture the Holy Land, including the city of Jerusalem. This city was important for both religions. For Christianity, it was where Jesus was crucified and killed by the Romans. For Islam, it is the acension of the prophet Muhammed to heaven. Which is why Saladin, in 1187, fought to recapture the Holy Land from the "Infidels" and he decisvely defeated the Crusaders at the Battle of Hattin, which was the beginning of the end of Christian hold on Jerusalem. The Sultan later captured the city in a siege and pushed the Crusaders to their strongholds such as Tyre and Krak Des Chevaliers, the latter a mighty castle, unlike any other in the Medieval world.
In light of this "invasion" on the Holy Land, the new Pope, Gregory VIII, called for a Crusade to reclaim Jerusalem in 1187, after hearing of the defeat at Hattin. The King of England, Henry II, and the King of France, Philippe II, declared a truce to lead a Crusade against Saladin. Frederick Barbarossa also responded to the call to arms, and led a massive German Crusading force to the Holy Land, through the Byzantine Empire, but Barbarossa drowned in the Saleph River, modern day Göksu river. Being impatient, he had decided to walk his horse through the river instead of crossing the bridge that had been too crowded with troops. The current was too strong for the horse to handle, and his suit armor was too heavy for him to swim in: both were swept away and drowned. Some of Frederick's men put him in a barrel of vinegar to preserve his body.
With Frederick's death, the Holy Roman Empire crusade broke up. Meanwhile, back in Europe, Henry II died and was succeded by his son, Richard the Lionheart and, although he disliked Philippe bitterely, they agreed to work together to capture Jerusalem and the Holy Land. However, while Philippe had sailed away to besiege Acre, Richard's fleet got seperated in a storm, half of his fleet trapped with him near Rhodes, the other half containing his new wife, Berengaria, and his sister, Joanna, near Cyprus, led by the power-hungry Issac Komnenos. Richard regrouped his fleet at Cyprus and fought a short war with Isaac to control Cyprus. Richard emerged victorious and took Isaac's young sister, Anna, as an honoured hostage. During Richard's war in Cyprus, Philippe demanded that Richard come to Acre, but Richard ignored him, making the relationship between them grow worse.
Richard did, evantually come to Acre and together with Philippe, captured the city of Acre. It was here that they was an arguement, and Philippe lost this arguement with Richard. It was about how the city of Acre should be divided. Philippe wanted French Crusaders to control most of the city, but Richard disagreed, saying that the English should have most of it because they had captured the city. So Philippe sailed away with most of his French Crusaders. Some decided to stay and fight with Richard. Yet Jerusalem was far away, many battles would be fought to decide the fate of the Holy Land.
Message from Richard said:
Knights and Nobles of Europe,

You know me! I am Richard, son of Henry II, also known as Richard the Lionheart, for my prowess in battle. I know ask men who wish to fight for the glory of God to join me and fight alongside noble Englishmen, who too wish to fight for the cross. You will fight alongside men such as the Grand Master of the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller and you will be able to reap the rewards when Jerusalem falls! Do not listen to the French, men of lies and arrogance. They will give you nothing, only more money for the fat greedy bastards of their royalty. Do not be a coward like Philippe II, King of France. Be a true knight, be a true Christian, and fight with us, fight with us, in the Third Crusade,

Deus Volt!

Message from Henry said:
Dear Knights and Nobles of Chrisindom

For too long have the Saracens prevented our Pilgrimage to see the homeland of our beloved Christ Lived in. I say No more! Unlike any army we fight not for Greed but for rights. Enlist today and fight for what is right. We must remember that this is a fight to save all of Chrisindom and should work with each other. Unlike the English I will not insult, I will not cause problems as I'm sure they will. All true knights shall fight for France and aid us in our Journey. Think of the countless about of gold that will be looted when the walls of Jerusalem fall. Along will it all of Islam! I say forward to Victory and Forward Glory! I'm sure you know the two previous Crusades have not ended that well however this time we shall prevail!

Henri Duke of House Orleans.

What is it ? said:
Welcome folks. Some of you may have heard of this campaign already.
Here some eye candy for you :  www.youtube.com/watch?v=amdXTSVDGgE

What is it ?

The campaign overview

The campaign will be based off on the Third crusade in 1189

This will be a historical stage with a few historical leaders (French and English lords ) but it's mostly for the RP effect
We will provide up to date  interactive map so the leaders could see how far they are from Jerusalem
And this map represent a rough and simplified campaign map divided by religion
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47699710/RP_Crusade.html
Red for catholics, purple for orthodox and Green for muslims.
It's essentially a tabletop roleplay. Where the lords are the players, their advisors are NPC, and the fighters are the  sword-fodder. 

What the goal ?

The goal is for the crusader company to reach Jerusalem guarantee the free passage for christian pilgrim. 
The campaign can be finished in 4 weeks if the crusade win every single battle. But eventually defeat may slow them down.

How it will be played ?
The game will be divided in 2 parts :

1. RP (Roleplay ) session on saturday evening which are designed for decision meeting for the leaders of the crusader.
They will take decision which define their road to Jerusalem and how they will get to their.
This part will be moderated and over watched by game admins.

2. The battle part on sunday afternoon which will be a the fighting part and where crusaders will decide if they go trough or not.
Clear objectives will define. And at the end we will call for a defeat, a minor victory, a major victory. Using the objective system.

You can see a raw footage of a battle here : youtube.com/watch?v=amdXTSVDGgE

How will it be balanced ?

We will make some design choice, while retaining some historical accuracy.
However, players decision or battle result may lead to have unbalanced battle for one side or another. As defeat and logistic may cripple the crusader army, the Saracens are likely to increase in strength as the crusader get close to the holy land.
All battle will not be balanced, but in the end player's skills, and tactics may do the difference even if a bad decision was taken.

Strategic map & Gameplay said:
Strategic map

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47699710/RP_Crusade.html
Each week on Saturday, the lords must agree on a decision about what to do and where to go. If they don't the default order is "hold position".
They can decide to go to the next territory on land or on sea (if they have ship).

If they didn't negotiate free passage they will fight against the owner of the land, orthodox or Muslim. The crusaders will choose the best attack plan which will change the map layout before the event.

Attack plans :

- Sea assault
- Land assault
- Land siege & blockade
- Pass trough to the next territory

Sea assault :

Use the naval force to set up a force invasion using the city docks.

Land assault :

Prepare a siege camp and attack the outer walls.

Land siege and blockage :

Aim to starve the enemy city. The crusaders may have to find supplies as well to hold longer than the defenders. Land or naval raids for supply can be organised.

Pass trough to the next territory

The crusaders pass trough without attacking the city. They won't have to suffer from the loss of an attack but won't get any supplies or loots from the city and have to travel to the next territory on their own supply.
They may have to face the enemy army to leave the territory anyway.

Logistics :

This point is extremely important, the spending in supplies for the travel have to be carefully planned.

There are indicator of "manpower" in %  and wargear level.
Gear is divided in 4 level, from "milita wargear" to "Knightly wargear"

1. The crusader army start at 100% manpower with level 2 wargear.
2. Depending of the left manpower and the gear level picked, the travel will consume an amount of supplies point.
3. If there is not enough supply. The army will become starved and start loosing effectiveness and gear level( Turn the horse into food, leave the heavy gear behind ect... )

When an army got a manpower %  below the opponent, the players ratio start to change from balanced to stacked
Instead of having 50  Vs 50 we can have 45 vs 55  for exemple.

RP system

The RP system is very simple. We will have a meeting in a castle during 2H. Issues concerning the campaign will be addressed, and lords will have to agree on this.

Players will have to pick up roles. Please show up if you promise to come. From a week from another, the roles will be distributed once again for the next RP meeting but the one playing the role first will be prioritized.

During the RP meeting, players surrounding the lords may have special assets/skills to use. For example, a merchant will have exclusive contact that he may or may not use to help the lord.

RP roles list :

Leadership
Lord (French or English)
Marshall ( 2nd in command)
Capitain (3rd in command )

Support 

Quartermaster
Navigator

Negotiation :

Bishop/Priest
Merchant

RP roles :

Wife (of any roles) 
Waiter/waitress
Servants
[Suggest more]

We will get only 2 lords with all their own staff (military, support and others)
If a faction lack some roles, they have to count of the other team.

Lords MUST be able to field 10 soldiers minimum to be able to register

Historical characters are allowed but it's wouldn't bring any difference concerning game play. The battle and the road of the crusaders may be unhistorical.
Code:
[b]
Forum name : [/b][b]
Do you have steam : [/b][b]
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  : [/b]
[b]Character name :[/b]
[b]Character role [/b][b]
Loyalty (French or English or other )  :[/b][b]
Write a 5 line background about your character: [/b]

I'm looking forward to the battles that for sure. As for the Rping i can not be lord if i want to fight vs templer's and stuff so

Forum name :
flans
Do you have steam :
flans92
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  : yes
Character name : George
Character role : Merchant
Loyalty (French or English or other )  :
Saracens
Write a 5 line background about your character:

21 year old Khalid was taken from his homeland in Acre when he was a boy of no more then 6 years old by slave traders and sold to a British lord in England as a slave who named him George. George had worked in the house of his master for a good 9 years. Before his chance had shown it's self. His lord had left for a meeting and was not to be back till the next day and his wife was out back,It was now or never.George made a run for it,Having got a way.He made his way  to London,while exploring in London  he saw a apprentice wanted sign on a window of a master  Merchant .He spend the next 6 years under his new master work as a apprentice .Now he is a  travelling  Merchant . To be continued later.

In battle i will use a full on Rp name. As to not be the same always.

I added your part matthew.

Also flans, the game is designed so the decision process is only on the crusader side we may have enemy commander but i already counted on you to lead the opposite team let them be orthodox or muslim.

So a registration is not requiered unless you want to work with the crusader as part of their advisor team.

"Also flans, the game is designed so the decision process is only on the crusader side we may have enemy commander but i already counted on you to lead the opposite team let them be orthodox or muslim's. "             

The application i wrote was for a merchant Role for the crusader's in the Roleplaying as there will not be alot for the saracens.
But like i said before i will take any role that will be needed on the day.I can Rp any character.

Forum name :
Sir_Edwards
Do you have steam :
Of course I do
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  : Mhm

Character name : Chance Edwards(tags to be determined)
Character role French Military general/military adviser
French
Write a 5 line background about your character: Born in England, I was taken by raiders when my hometown was aflame.  When I was sold off to a slave trader, many french knights sacked this man's lands and killed him. Luckily, they managed to pry open the sealed door of the main building where the slaves were and I was freed.  After gaining my freedom, I decided to follow these knights back to where ever it was they were headed thinking that it would be a nice place.  After 2 weeks they stopped in a beautiful city by the name of Paris.  It was indeed a beautiful city full of everything a man could ever desire.  Eventually I settled in there and met a man by the name of Sir Henry.  He was the captain of the guard for the city's watch who talked me into joining the French army.  By the age of 24 I was already a (rank to be determined).  Now, we go to war, to free our holy land from the scum that now occupy it!

Forum name :
DoctorWarband
Do you have steam :
Of course.
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  :
Da!
Character name : Cornwall_Duke_William
Character role: Bishop
English

I was born to the Cornwall family. I was raised as a king. Got all I wanted. Then, My parents died by assassination by the House of Lancaster.
Since then I was raised as a priest, Giving the poor the thought of a god In heaven.
Over the years, I started to get closer and closer to the role of a Regional Bishop. And then In the age of 28 I was crowned as the Bishop of York.
I Gave families hope, and care like a father.
Everyone loved me, and so much, until the King Itself Invited me to help him in the crusade.
I arrived In London, where the army was getting on the boats, and when they saw me, they led me to the king.
Now the king wants to see me so....
Let me through please?

Note: I'm really from Israel so I want my role as a priest for my country please :smile:

Forum name :
BoomBoy
Do you have steam :
Yes.
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  : Yes.
Character name :Paul
Character role Navigator.
French.

Paul was born to a poor family in a French village. His father was a farmer, tending the crops and the cattle.
When Paul grew up he didn't follow his father steps. He found his father work dull and boring, he took a few coins he made up
and left to the city nearby. Since the city was by the sea, it was full of trader across the seas, from England, Sweden and a few German states.
He was taken by a captain of a trade vessel. Paul learned anything from him, since then he was navigating ships from port to port, until one day.
He was returning from a long voyage unloading a large haul of salt and he dropped by the tavern nearby, then he heard a shout from outside;
it was one of the Bishops of the church in England, he was declaring the third crusade for Jerusalem. Paul decided to join up and maybe retire with
some land.

doctorwarband said:

Forum name :
DoctorWarband
Do you have steam :
Of course.
Do you have teamspeak3 and a mic ?  :
Da!
Character name : Cornwall_Duke_William
Character role: Bishop
English

I was born to the Cornwall family. I was raised as a king. Got all I wanted. Then, My parents died by assassination by the House of Lancaster.
Since then I was raised as a priest, Giving the poor the thought of a god In heaven.
Over the years, I started to get closer and closer to the role of a Regional Bishop. And then In the age of 28 I was crowned as the Bishop of York.
I Gave families hope, and care like a father.
Everyone loved me, and so much, until the King Itself Invited me to help him in the crusade.
I arrived In London, where the army was getting on the boats, and when they saw me, they led me to the king.
Now the king wants to see me so....
Let me through please?

Note: I'm really from Israel so I want my role as a priest for my country please :smile:

If you want to be in the English Crusaders, please fill in the application on this thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,261092.0.html

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom