Complaint about problems with browsing on mobile devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

On smaller screens, the extra space on the sides, the avatars and icons there, and the signatures are now gone. And a few other things, such as the column with useless postcounts on boards and such are gone. Does that really make it "unusable" to so many of you? I can tweak what exactly is done for smaller screens as needed.

Please elaborate on exactly what you dislike, though.

EDIT:
to elaborate, the stuff that's hidden depends entirely on screen size.

For me, it is waaaaay too scrunched and narrow, and the text is too big for me - makes scrolling and reading a pain in the ass. Was a lot easier to just slightly zoom in and get what I needed (especially when reading WW games). Plus I liked having the poster information (avatar, sigs, etc.) visible since I hardly ever read usernames - avatars are mostly how I know who is posting and makes interactions more... intimate.

Also was...

Code:
/* tweak some things and hide others for very narrow displays; most of this contributed by Swyter (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=39852) */
@media screen and (max-width: 980px)
{
	#content_section, #header, #footer_section { min-width: inherit; }
	body { padding: 0; }
	.avatar, .signature, .title, .postgroup, .membergroup, .blurb, .custom, .im_icons, .profile, .game_badges, .reportlinks { display: none; }
	.poster { position: absolute; margin-top: -.4em; }
	.postarea, .moderatorbar { margin-left: 1em; }
	.postarea .flow_hidden { margin-left: 150px; }
	.keyinfo { width: 77%; }
	.post { margin-top: 0; }
	img.bbc_img { max-width: 100%; }
	.inner { padding: .4em .1em 0 0; }
	#header div.frame { background-position: 90% -480px; padding-right: 2px; }
	#content_section div.frame { background-position: 90% top; padding: 0 5px; }
	#footer_section div.frame { background-position: 90% -820px; }
	#header, #content_section, #footer_section { padding-left: 0; }
	.postarea div.flow_hidden, #advanced_search dl#search_options { width: inherit; }
	img#upshrink { margin-right: 0; margin-left: 0; }
	#top_section, #search_form { margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 5px; }
	#search_form input.input_text { width: 80px; }
	iframe.youtube_embed { width: 100%; }
	#detailedinfo dd.game_badges { display: inline; }
	.news h2 { float: none; clear: both; }
	#news_column_1 div { margin-left: 0; }
}
@media screen and (max-width: 699px)
{
	tbody.content td.stats { display: none; }
	tbody.content td.icon { padding: 0; }
/* yes the below selection is hacky, will be better in SMF 2.1 themes */
	table.table_grid thead th[width="14%"], table.table_grid tbody td.stats { display: none; }
}

...plus a few other tweaks all that was added?

My Xperia Z3 has one of the largest screens on the mobile market as far as I know. I'm mostly annoyed about the avatars and sigs being gone since it makes identifying people a massive chore. I can live without the postcounts and that. But the posts are also kinda hard to read in the new format.

My problem with that is that in the standard browser (which is better than any other I tried) I cannot zoom out at all, and the standard view doesn't show avatars (which I need for my Authentic Browsing Experiencetm).

2 new posts

The being unable to zoom out is part of the changes (not your browser) - everything is set to fit to the browser width and wrap to the bottom if it goes "offscreen."

That being said. I do like that I don't have to scroll back and forth to read full posts anymore. And that the dreaded "mark all as read" button, (which I sincerely feel could just as well be removed altogether),  is far away from any plausible misclick.

Nwb2E.png

There's way too many linebreaks, stretching the whole thing vertically. Maybe it would work better if you set a lower font size for everything. I personally never had a problem with reading while fully zoomed out.
Especially the buttons look ugly and are more difficult to click, as there's another button right above/below.

And the lack of avatars is also bad, IMO. I usually don't read the username, I just recognize the avatars...

Phonemelter said:
The being unable to zoom out is part of the changes (not your browser) - everything is set to fit to the browser width and wrap to the bottom if it goes "offscreen."
I can zoom out on a different browser, and then I get back the avatars, sigs and stuff.

I'd just like to point out that I do appreciate the sentiment behind trying to make the site more mobile friendly. But it really should've been brought up beforehand to see how many actually had problems with the old look. And maybe implemented for an announced test period of a couple of days instead of just randomly slapping it on us.

Just out of curiosity, did you guys try an alternative forum theme? It's the only other reason I can think why 99% of you are getting something completely different whilst my Smugberry (as it shall be known until this affliction of clearly inferior phones is fixed) and Aust's thingamabobby, which use a couple of the other themes (Chocolate Curvacous/Prince of Darkness) seem to be fine and dandy.

Everybody should use one of the darker themes anyway, my avatars always look much better on dark backgrounds than light.

It's actually really easy on the eyes, but it doesn't need to be a permanent change, you can just switch over before going from PC to mobile until Janus gets it fixed.

How very odd. Keep your fingers crossed that Janus can undo some of the changes then, I guess. In the meantime, switching themes seems to work for some and may work for others, so it's worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom