Comments: 3.0 Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Hell yeah! A tangible release! I know it's not the full thing (yet), but still.... YEAAAAHHHH!!!

-

--- Meanwhile, Tetsurou's adventures continue ---

The Oni in Red sustained serious losses in the siege of Toyama Castle, but he resolved to continue his invasion against the Kaga Ikki.

"Those monks were stronger than expected..."

He brooded upon his "victory" for some time.

Over the next day, he and his now only 130 strong army rode south to the Kaga Ikki fortress town of Kanazawa. It was the only refuge left for the monks, but it was humongously well defended, and his army, realistically, had no chance of successfully storming the town.
... Not in it's current state, anyway.

There were over 500 angry monks in that town. Angry monks that would simply *love* to chop any overambitious samurai in their reach to pieces.

But first, before he could even deal with that problem... there was an issue that was far more immediate still on his hands...

-

Kennyo Monshu, the highest ranking abbot and leader of the Kaga Ikki was leading a massive army through the countryside. Marching at the head of 300 monk soldiers, he led a large and well trained army.

Really, there was only one thing working against them.
Unlike Tetsurou's army... the monks didn't ride horses.

In the middle of the flat, open countryside...
The monks. Didn't. Ride. Horses.
Aside from pitifully small numbers of hired Ronin Horsemen... they had no cavalry!

The Oni in Red didn't really know why the monks didn't have horsemen, and he didn't care.
It's not like the enemy could run away from his much faster moving army either.
The only advantage the monks really had was the fact that they outnumbered him two and a half men to one.

... But really, when was the last time he let a numerical advantage stop him?

---

Sighting the army of monks in the distance, Tetsurou's horse accelerated to a gallop, as the Oni in Red unslung his bow and let loose a continuing stream of arrows into the air.
AYnfK.jpg

His army circled around the enemy monks, softening their ranks with arrowfire and grinding them down. Like a snake coiling itself around a large beast of prey, he twisted round and round and round the enemy, squeezing them until their breaking point.
Occasionally, he swept in and out, taking bites at the enemy archers and gunners, before breaking off and continuing his encirclement.

And then much like an anaconda swallowing something that weighs three times as much as it does, the Demon of the Sho ordered a charge, attempting to swallow his prey whole!
j405E.jpg

The battlefield devolved into chaos. As soon as the forces of the Sho and the Kaga Ikki met in battle, neither side could control their movements. The tight wedge of Sho Clan cavalry dispersed, and the Kaga Ikki formation was broken.
... And this was exactly what Sho Tetsurou wanted.
G8m23.jpg

If he had've attempted to charge into Kennyo Monshu's tightly-packed infantry formation from the get-go, his cavalry would have been charging straight into a steel wall. But by softening the enemy ranks with prolonged fire, and then sweeping in for a charge from the flanks, he was in a far more favourable situation.

Because in a chaotic battle where infantry and cavalry alike were scattered in the field, it is the CAVALRY that hold a humongous advantage. The speed, mobility and power of Sho Tetsurou's cavalry army - even weakened as it was - tore through even the most elite enemy monks.

Losing his horse in the chaos, this did not slow the Oni in Red down, a tranquil fury guiding his sword. A flash, and a slice, and a swing, and clouds of red... soon, he was surrounded by the corpses of the dead.
VjtQG.jpg

He was victorious.

Now nothing stood between him and the Kaga Ikki fortress town of Kanazawa. But could even he defeat half a thousand monks fanatically fighting to defend their home ground?
It remained to be seen.

To be continued...

dinnerblaster said:
How exactly is 3.0 going to be differend from 2.1? How much are there new scenes, factions, content in general?
let me put it this way:

whenever i add new sections to code, i comment #gekokujo (version number) before i describe my change or new feature.

"#gekokujo" by itself (1.0) yields 261 hits
"#gekokujo 2.0" and "#gekokujo 2.1" together yield 51 hits
"#gekokujo 3.0" yields 1059 hits

note that i don't generally do this for item or character entries unless it's something special and new, such as placeholders for ainu clothing (thanks again rathmor) or the fort/microfaction companions (which are in and should be working, by the way). I also don't add it if i integrate OSP code like freelancer or diplomacy (since they have their own) unless it's small code that is easily forgettable

i'm still writing a proper, readable changelog right now. i do have one, but it's not fit for a readme or post yet because it's not organized or formatted to be readable except by me, unfortunately

It's on a "send a PM to phlpp if you're serious about actually beta-testing for the mod" basis.

========================================================================================================

After defeating Kennyo Monshu without *too* many losses, Sho Tetsurou rode onwards to Kanazawa.

What a pain. He had *almost* captured the place, once before. He was so very, very close to completely exterminating the enemy garrison - but then he had to break off, and defend his lands from an Uesugi army.

That was two or three months before. Now the Uesugi were long gone, alongside anybody else except the monks themselves who could stop him.

He begun to lay siege to the fortress town. Encircling the place, and preparing for an assault, he was poised to begin his attack.

Or at least, that's what he wanted the monks to think.

-

The truth of the matter is, is that he simply didn't have the manpower to subjugate Kanazawa completely. With only 100 men ready for combat, and 50 others injured or dead, he couldn't really just march in and take the place.

He couldn't just call a campaign either - due to some... dramas in the realm about which fiefs he had given to whom. He was currently slightly unpopular with his lords. A few feasts would fix that later, but for now, it was a bit of a problem.
Not to mention everybody was a bit tired after he declared war on the Satake Clan without provocation, called a campaign out of nowhere, and made everybody march halfway across Japan and back to their own fiefs again for a war that lasted less than half a week...
Yeah. He probably wasn't getting any reinforcements.

And as for trying to achieve victory by himself?

Since when does the attacker in a siege actually WIN when the DEFENDERS outnumber them five to one? That's already terrible odds for a defense, but in a siege assault that may as well be 1 vs 10.

---

The Oni in Red wanted to see how much progress he could make though, of course. Just as he prepared to attack though... the enemy garrison sallied out to attack him instead!
skloV.jpg

An immense bloodbath broke out upon the bridge into the town. As infantry from both sides joined battle in a pitched melee, the hair-breadth close-quarters melee combat worked out to the favour of the Sho samurai, if only slightly.

Upon his side of the bridge, Tetsurou quickly arrayed his marksmen into position, slightly offset diagonally from the bridge. Immediately releasing a horrendous barrage of bullets and arrows, destabilising the Kaga Ikki's own marksmen, they then focused fire upon the monks on the bridge.

With this ranged support, his samurai ground through the monks. While still not badly trained, these enemies were weaker than Kennyo Monshu's own men. This was fortunate - because fighting Elite Naginata Monks on foot would be a task that would reduce even the greatest of samurai to tears.

The fighting continued for quite some time...
mL6QH.jpg

But eventually, his men broke through, long after Tetsurou was knocked unconscious by his injuries. But the monks retreated, closing the gates behind them, and there were still many, MANY more of them left...

---

"We're not going to attack AGAIN, are we?!" exclaimed Kojiro. "Please, for the love of Buddha, no. No. No. Please NO."
Exasperated groans could be heard all around camp as Tetsurou announced his plan.

"Tetsurou-dono... to put it bluntly, I think this is very unwise." cautioned Musashi. "If we attack, we will only be destroyed by the enemy! We must abandon this campaign, and retreat."
"Absolutely not. We will not achieve total victory today, but we can greatly weaken their forces." responded Tetsurou.

Sitting in seiza position, Mokou lowered her head. "Forgive me my lord, but I also fail to grasp, with my terribly limited intellect, the full scope, breadth and overwhelming wisdom of your plan. I beg of you, my lord, please enlighten me as to what is your logically impenetrable rationale for assaulting a town full of soldiers outnumbering this army AT LEAST FOUR TO ONE."

The Oni in Red responded testily. "Mokou, truly? I thought we had already agreed that you would not question my quote-on-quote "endless wisdom", no?"
"Question you? Never! Such an accusation injures me deeply, my lord! I only wish to know, please, what you in your wisdom intend to accomplish!"

The gathered companions gazed intently at Tetsurou, staring into his soul.
Eyes seemed to pierce into his skull from every which direction, demanding justification for a plan of action that seemed like it would almost certainly result in a senseless and wasteful defeat.
Sometimes even the most feared man in Japan could be made to recoil slightly. By his own companions and lifelong allies, no less.

Almost slightly buckling at the knees (but not quite, of course), Tetsurou began to carefully explain himself.
"We are not going to assault Kanazawa with full force. Rather, we will sweep the defenders from their positions and kill as many as we can, then retreat before they can defeat us."
He continued. "We will lower their numbers so we can easily crush them in a later attack. Instead of attempting to push to the centre of the enemy fortress - which would almost undoubtedly result in crushing defeat - we will push through their first lines of infantry, kill as many of the defenders as we can, then hold position and defend against them as they attempt to take back the fortress."

"Again, we are NOT pushing to their core. We will simply penetrate their first defensive lines of infantry and take down as many marksman posts as we can, and use their own fortifications to slaughter as many of them as possible before making a tactical withdrawal."

Murmurs could be heard around the camp.
"Risky, I suppose..." considered Sessai "... but then again, what we do is always risky to some degree or another. This could work - as long as they don't realise what we're doing."
"Go in, kill a few guys, then get them to attack us instead of the other way around? That isn't as bad I suppose. Only problem I can see is," Kojiro continued thoughtfully, "what if they just hide in the core of the fortress instead of charging out at us and falling for the trick?"
"Not a problem. If they are not fooled by this ploy" replied Tetsurou, "then we simply leave the town and come back with a larger army."

"So basically boss, we just kill as many monks as we possibly can before running away?"
"Hyogonosuke, while that isn't the way I might have phrased it... yes, basically. But we aren't retreating. After we've killed as many as we can, we won't run away. We'll simply advance in the other direction, far, far away from Kanazawa."

He continued, with an incredulous expression. "After all, I never run away!"

His companions seemed to be ambivalent about the idea. Musashi relaxed a little bit, and Mokou looked slightly more impressed - if only slightly.
The others seemed to vaguely nod in agreement.
"Do we all understand? Good. You're dismissed."
Tetsurou began to mutter under his breath. "I don't actually need you to agree with my plans anyway, I just think it's nice if I share what I'm doing with you, and take in your critical input. Please have some appreciation..."

Meanwhile, separated from the group was Meiling, hanging her head in sadness.
"Alas. More people are going to die today."
"The blood will take so long to come out." She whispered to herself gloomily "it always, always does..."

TO BE CONTINUED...

So far so good. I think the first quest could be a little harder, as you have a few troops I think perhaps a mid level samurai as a starter boss at mansion? Ronin level, 1 or two.

I absolutely love the new items! The generals vests are a great addition. I saw the same idea in that swadian civil war mod, good stuff.

As anxious as I am for 3.0, I can't really say I feel confident that I can faithfully keep up with the all-important job of reporting bugs.

I'm installing it now lol. I'll just go grab something to eat and some coffee then I'll give it a go. Main thing I'll try to test is the microfactions stuff but I'll be sure to go around looking at the other new features too.

Osric said:
So far so good. I think the first quest could be a little harder, as you have a few troops I think perhaps a mid level samurai as a starter boss at mansion? Ronin level, 1 or two.

I absolutely love the new items! The generals vests are a great addition. I saw the same idea in that swadian civil war mod, good stuff.
noted. i've changed the opening quest mansion raid to have 1/6 samurai, 5/6 ashigaru. no more looters as reinforcements (i don't even remember if i did that on purpose or if it was an oversight)

Inanch-Bilge said:
So where is the screenshots guys ? :smile:

I'll be uploading a bunch tonight.

Just saw the nanban armour. Wow.

Edit: Suggestion: Takedas font colour should be crimson red not green :smile:

I'll upload some screenshots later too. Right now I'm in Hokkaido playing with the Ainu. I really like what I'm seeing so far but I've noticed a few dialog bugs, many of which phlpp is probably already aware of. I'm making a list of them so I can present them all together to make it easier for phlpp to keep track of them.

My computer bluescreened because of overheating, stupidly set my card fan on auto.

anyway, since i have to restart, heres a few screens.

http://imgur.com/a/900KV

philosopherfujin said:
Should we make a google doc for the beta testers to add found bugs to to compile them?
good idea

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v5Q3ovDHyg3bZ87tRGrYasYWm330PQPFlePXAh4PM0U/edit?usp=sharing

i have my own separate document for my own workflow, but whatever you guys put in there i'll put in mine

@Osric, oh yeah, that town "Imahama" in the background of the last pic in your album -- that's supposed to rename into Nagahama whenever the Oda take it, so everyone be on the lookout for that. If the Asakura take it back, it goes back to Imahama, but if anyone else takes it, it keeps whatever name it already had.

Good idea. I'm doing the dialogs over and over. It seems there's a freak bug that's probably Warband's fault instead of Gekokujo, but I'll note it anyway.

Can you set that google doc to public edit? It's view only right now.

Maybe a google sheets (excel-style) would be a bit more useful/organized?

(Row 1 Column 2) Bug Title/Summary-  (Row 1 Column 3) Description  - (Row 1 Column 4) Found by -  (Row 1 Column 5) Version found

Then phlpp can have his own "Priority" column (column 1) where he can write the priority of these bugs (Critical, High, Medium, Low), as well as another column (column 6) for Status (In progress, Fixed, by design)

Something like that. (sorry, don't know how to make tables on forums :sad:)

right right. spreadsheet, editable and not just viewable (whoopsy)

disregard that other one

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am9QA_i8Xg9idHFheXF0bWVDOEM2YU1yNHZucndnQVE&usp=sharing

Great.

Formatted the spreadsheet. Hope I didnt make things complicated. If we go past 40 issues, just copy paste a few more rows

I put a sample bug from the doc you originally gave us. Priority was just a sample (you set it yourself please :smile:), as well as the Status.

Is it possible to have female models of hands/gloves? The female hands are misproportionately large especially with most of the clothing (kimonos, etc.). It isn't noticeable so much in armor of course but the civilians look like they've got some kind of disease. D:
7CE7Whn.png

Anyway so far so good @ microfactions. I haven't noticed any dire bugs and they seem to be performing just as expected. I'll test them some more later. For now I need to get back to work lol.

The dialog bug I found but am assuming is actually a Warband general bug instead of being related to Gekokujo:
UOJhGwQ.png

Back
Top Bottom