Am I the only one thinking that the targeting system is not good enough in it's current state ? (1.2.X)

Users who are viewing this thread

The targeting system is essential to Captain mode players (multiplayer). So it MUST be usable and designed for singleplayer AND multiplayer uses. Taleworlds first stated that the feature was for captain mode players in its initial announcementof the feature in the Release Plans post:
Naturally, there will also be various tweaks to other systems - whether that is the ability to target enemy formations, which has been requested by our captain mode community in particular, or the ability to place companions in specific formations in the “Order of Battle”.
At the moment the feature is clearly not optimal and sometime not usable in some cases. It would also not work in MP (no formation icons displayed to target enemy formations). Ranged units and Throwing units need to be able to hold a position to take advantage of it. The most basic tactic for archers is literally just to sit on top of a hill or a cliff. It’s impossible to do it while using the current targeting system. As the charge or engage order will, in most cases, make your troops move from their position instead of holding it. Here is an example video I recorded in 1.1.6 with texts explaining what would happen in 1.2.X (I played this version in Singleplayer Playthroughs for more than 200 hours):

Here is a suggestion to improve the targeting system. It would make it work in MP and would fix the issue showed above:
The only thing to do is to add a targeting order in the F3 (toggle orders) menu. Something like F3 + F6. When using it, the formation would target the closest formation to the player flag (the flag in the middle of the screen when giving orders) and would use the current position/movement order (F1 menu). This order could also be triggered by just left clicking on an enemy formation icon (in SP). Currently left clicking is making the troops target AND charge the enemy formation. To me:
- One click on an enemy formation icon should just target it and keep the position/movement order currently in use (F1 menu)
- Double click on an enemy formation icon should make the formation target AND charge the enemy formation. (the current behavior for one clicking)

What do you think ? Do you agree with me ? Do you have another/better solution ?
---
EDIT:

The game has a Hide UI option. With it enabled, it's currently impossible to use the targeting system.
It's another reason why a new order (in my example, F3 + F6) should be added.

Last edited:
Additional images:

New targeting order placement:
image.png

Every order in the F1 menu should be usable while targeting:
image.png

Well the targeting system does feel like it could really be improved. And having it in captain mode could make multiplayer more appealing again.

I agree! This is a good idea!

For multiplayer, I would suggest to have the same icons as in singleplayer but these icons would be hidden until an ally see a percentage of this formation (like 10%). Then the icon would be visible and targetable. (This could also add more strategic capabilites in order to spot enemy formations)

This is just a suggestion. Can certainly be improved!

They also need to fix enemy formation's icon (the red circle with a spear, bow, horse, etc. image) disappearing when you get close to them. This bug makes you unable to target formations when you are in close proximity.

They also need to fix enemy formation's icon (the red circle with a spear, bow, horse, etc. image) disappearing when you get close to them. This bug makes you unable to target formations when you are in close proximity.
This I agree with most of all

I'm guessing the current implementation was made with consoles in mind, since the amount of buttons you have on a controller is quite limited.

I don't "hate" the targeting system, but it's not intuitive at all. Either the formation icons need to be always present, or there should really be additional radial commands to "Charge at Infantry", "Advance to Archers", etc.

Also it's quite common for me in larger army battles to want to reposition a formation, but somehow the movement command is getting interpreted as a charge command. Probably because there just so happens to be one enemy unit in my field of view. This is frustrating because it forces me to do F1 + F2 (Follow Me), but that's not always ideal.

Nevermind (unless there's something new in options I missed), there's no means to highlight units. And seriously the unit position pips are damn near impossible to see at night or in forests too. RTS Camera has been around a good while, it shouldn't still be superior to the base game.

In addition to not being able to properly target with stationary ranged, I think having to highlight the standard bearer is a problem. It often just takes too long to get them selected and the window where targeting the troops would be useful is lost. For instance you have enemies right in front of your troops and want to target them, but the standard bearer is at a weird angle too far away to highlight very quickly so you have to charge your troops instead (which is not as good because some will turn around and do something else because bad AI). I think the set up in the RTS command module mod where you instead can highlight ANY unit in a group to target that group was much better.

I fully agree.

As I already pointed out in the past; it's an addition that many of us are looking forward to... however when you test it as a player in the first 5 minutes you realise the shortcomings of this mechanic (Fracas shows)... it need work and fine tuning. But if this fine tunig is limited for the corseted limitations of console... well we knot how this ends...

giphy.gif

I fully agree.

As I already pointed out in the past; it's an addition that many of us are looking forward to... however when you test it as a player in the first 5 minutes you realise the shortcomings of this mechanic (Fracas shows)... it need work and fine tuning. But if this fine tunig is limited for the corseted limitations of console... well we knot how this ends...

giphy.gif
I think that my suggestions can absoluty work on console too 👌

I fully agree.

giphy.gif

Hey Terco! Maybe you need to be a YouTuber for them to listen to you...

Oh one addition to this thread:

The game has a Hide UI option. With it enabled, it's currently impossible to use the targeting system.
It's another reason why a new order (in my example, F3 + F6) should be added.

New command is so bad on console they placed it on R2 the same button used to place drag and face a formations now it’s impossible to use it to micro your formations positions while fighting at the front because it will somehow always hit the and enemy formation icon because your literally standing inside the enemy formation… and yes archers should just just attack the formation targeted and not moving.

Back
Top Bottom