EDGE claims Xbox 720 will require an internet connection to run

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/ said:
Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.
There are more details on the original post. This will also serve to **** the used-games market, so brick and mortar stores are gonna be ****ed if this happens.

IGN has also reported this, taking Edge-online's article as source. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/xbox-720-allegedly-requires-online-connection

Xbox specs said:
Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

I really hope they will go through with all of these intrusive stuff and kick themselves in the nuts, but hey, nothing is for certain, and these are simply speculations/rumours.

Oh, here is AlphaOmegaSin's video on this.

Goker said:
Here are some interesting tweets from the Creative Director at Microsoft Studios.

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png

OEY5yp8.jpg

Oh, the arrogance.

Supposedly the whole used games just affects the ones with online play. So you buy CoD 12 or something brand new it comes with a one time redeemable online play pass, you sell said game to used game store and another person buys it. They in turn will have to buy their own online play pass for the game.

Radalan said:
Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Does the RAM not seem like a bit of an overkill?

Not really, considering how you're supposed to run games on max for the next few years with it.

But 256mb when the 360 came out was like 2gb now. Even then the rest isn't in comparison to that amount of RAM.

Hereticus said:
Supposedly the whole used games just affects the ones with online play. So you buy CoD 12 or something brand new it comes with a one time redeemable online play pass, you sell said game to used game store and another person buys it. They in turn will have to buy their own online play pass for the game.
That's how Battlefield 3 already is, among other games.

Radalan said:
Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Does the RAM not seem like a bit of an overkill?

Not really, considering how you're supposed to run games on max for the next few years with it.

:roll:

Consoles run games on max for the first year at most. After that, PC hardware has advanced far enough to leave consoles in the dust. I'd also like more specifications on their "graphics solution," because my video card matches those specifications but won't play the most modern games on max settings with stable FPS.

Once a console quires a constant internet connection and has digital game distribution, aren't you just better off buying a PC? This point was raised in the last quote of the OP but was entirely ignored. You can do more with a PC than play games and watch movies, and you can even use it without an internet connection. How 'bout that? :lol:

krik said:
Hereticus said:

Not a whole lot of them. Unless it ties to an account, there's really no barrier to playing secondhand PC games online. Things with Steamworks, Ubisoft's Uplay (I think), and EA's Origin have this issue, but most games don't.

Microsoft be turning the Xbox into a PC, albeit with static hardware, it seems. Which, imo, takes away the entire point of it being a console. I'm not too sure if I will get a next Gen console, but if I do it will be PS4.

Obviously, I haven't read about Sony's plans, but I just dislike the plans for the new Xbox that much...  :razz:

You're talking to someone who used to game on IBM-compatible desktops (before they even called them that).

I would if I had to. I did sometimes, but internet gaming has been around for longer than you think, so it wasn't often necessary.

Orion said:
krik said:
Hereticus said:

Not a whole lot of them. Unless it ties to an account, there's really no barrier to playing secondhand PC games online. Things with Steamworks, Ubisoft's Uplay (I think), and EA's Origin have this issue, but most games don't.
I meant on 360, all Ubisoft and recent EA games require an online pass to play multiplayer. They come with one, so if you wanna splitscreen on xbox live your buddy has to buy one as well. Call of Duty doesn't do it but it wouldn't surprise me if they started.

Mage246 said:
internet gaming has been around for longer than you think

When was that brought up and how is it relevant? :neutral: Wasn't it started in the 70s at NASA, MIT, and some tech companies like Xerox?

Besides, that requires at least two computers. I specifically mentioned the fact that only one person needs a console (at least in the past). Please don't bring up hotseat games, they're not real-time multiplayer.

Vieira said:
Obviously, I haven't read about Sony's plans, but I just dislike the plans for the new Xbox that much...  :razz:
Sony did patent tech that would block used games as well.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/03/sony-japan-patents-nfc-tech-to-suppress-second-hand-game-sales-report/

It isn't known if they were going to use it for games though.

"Please don't bring up games that I don't think are multiplayer - they're not multiplayer". Pretty self-serving answer there. Besides, I wasn't even thinking of that, although I consider it perfectly valid as multiplayer (there's nothing inherently superior to real-time multiplayer for someone who enjoys turn-based games). As an example, I used to play Shadow of Yserbius in the early 90s. And I don't see whether it requires 2 computers is relevant - you've already stated that laptops are considered acceptable, and you have to have 2 of those (unless playing via hotseat... :lol:).

Goker said:
Vieira said:
Sony did patent tech that would block used games as well.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/03/sony-japan-patents-nfc-tech-to-suppress-second-hand-game-sales-report/

It isn't known if they were going to use it for games though.

Sony's recent approach has been surprisingly consumer friendly, but they do have a track record of pulling **** like this, so I'm really excited for Feb 20.

Mage246 said:
"Please don't bring up games that I don't think are multiplayer - they're not multiplayer". Pretty self-serving answer there. Besides, I wasn't even thinking of that, although I consider it perfectly valid as multiplayer (there's nothing inherently superior to real-time multiplayer for someone who enjoys turn-based games). As an example, I used to play Shadow of Yserbius in the early 90s. And I don't see whether it requires 2 computers is relevant - you've already stated that laptops are considered acceptable, and you have to have 2 of those (unless playing via hotseat... :lol:).

OK, so you missed it.

My comment about laptops and my comment about consoles only being good for social gaming (because only one person needs one) aren't related, and the laptop comment was in jest (following yours). Should I fix it?

Orion said:
Mage246 said:
When was there ever really a point to consoles? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I guess when laptops weren't viable for gaming. :roll: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Better?

If you really want to stick on it, I suppose they would be acceptable because of their portability. Consoles aren't very portable because they also require a TV, and desktops are bigger than both and also require a monitor. So, it's easy to bring your laptop along to game with friends just like it's easy to go over to a friend's place and play together on a console, but a laptop becomes more practical when your friend wants to come over to your place and can't haul his console/TV over (which is something one of my friends does sometimes because I don't watch TV, and so the only one in the house is old and relatively small).

So, laptops are acceptable because of their portability, while consoles are acceptable because only one is required. Both are acceptable but for different reasons. It happens in the real world all the time. Amazing.

I mentioned hotseats because the discussion of multiplayer up to that point implied simultaneous play with two or more people, which hotseat doesn't do. I didn't come to argue semantics, which is why I specifically brought up hotseat first to try and keep it out of the argument. It's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom