Castle Discussion ONLY Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Not now. But, later, a way to make "damageable objects" could be implemented. I'm not a pro about smashing the walls, I prefer digging under the stone walls and somehow explode its base.

No more ramps, I'd like a way for really functional ladder to work. And there should be lots of them.

Yes, ladders are a must have, no rampways. If the devs are animation reluctant then well....well they shouldnt be!

Perhaps the defenders could double their normal ranged weapons. 48/54 arrows instead of 24/27, 14/16 throwning axes instead of 7/8. That would take the place of larger seige weapons inside the castle.

mfberg

Edward said:
Until the AI causing the soldiers to get stuck on the walls is fixed, would it be possible to change the place where the ramp touchs the wall by removing the crenellations so they wouldn't get stuck? Maybe make it look like a catipult hit there.

Yeah, that would be a perfect fix for now.

Modify the current wall mesh so it looks like it took a hit from a trebuchette or catapult, and knocked some stone loose, thus leaving a nice hole where the top of the wall was.

Then, the ladder/ramp could go in to that hole.

This way, your units won't get stuck in between the crenellations or whatever they are.

Then after you have won the battle, and stationed troops in the castle, you can either have that section be repaired, or keep it there, symbolizing how lazy your troops are.

Navardo said:
On the subject of Castle Income. I would suggest somethings easy to achieve:

1) Anyone of the peasant, farmer, refugee etc class who you station at the castle gets involved in some kind of productivity. (though there's a population cap)
2) Rather than simply generating gold, they could additionally produce a particular trade good such as wheat or dried fish, depending on the local resources, which need to be traded for hard currency.
3) Non-civilian Garrisoned troops should still demand a weekly wage (though perhaps less than active band service). Otherwise you conveniently end up with 50 black knights waiting at your castle.
4) An inventory, obviously.

Ideally you'd be able to set up caravans, set priorities such as productivity or troop training and have missions where you must defend against increasingly powerful enemies, but i realise that's all a little way off yet...
great, at least the castles need a store to keep equipment and horses once conquered, it is obvious.

Any one play viva pinata. You get a patch of empty land, then you have to build on it to attract cute chocolate filled creatures. Im not exactly sure what to get what but something like grass to get horses then carrots to get rabbits then a cave to get a wolf, but the wolf wont come unless you have rabbits so it can feast on its delicious candy fulled inards.

I think something like this for castles would be sweet. You start off with an empty castle with a certain amount of land, that you either bought or built, with only the men you bring. Using your army, and time (directly propurtionate to the amount of men in your party) and maybe resources in place of the normal monetary cost, you can build buildings such as homes (perhaps of different sizes) farms, taverns, shops, extra walls, a keep (similar to the building castle mod).

Say if you built a couple of homes (important as they would determine the amount of men you can keep in the castle) first you would attract a few peasants (also important as these worthless non candy filled morsels would assist in slave labour.. i mean building). then afterwards you might want to build a few farms, which are necessary to supply the castle with food (obvously the more houses the larger the population the more farms needed) and would attract farmers to til the land. build a tavern and you would attract a monatge of worthless fools, mercenaries and the odd useful character possibly at random so you may occasionaly attract a cook or a builder (these you would have to hire form the tavern similar to the way pirates mod allowed you to hire cooks and the odd useful character from taverns, thats if my memory serves me right).

Expanding on the idea, after creating a self sufficient castle with houses and farms you could build more advanced buidlings like blacksmiths, who would serve as a source as income (farms and taverns would also serve as a source of income through tax) as well as setting up a stall in the castle for you. add an armourer building and in conjunction with the blacksmith, and population, you can start training units (perhaps different levels or numbers of blacksmith and armorurs allows you to train more advanced units).

There would be a variety of other buildings serving different purposes, possibly the building option to expand the castle, as well as a plethora of defence upgrades to waste money/resources you would have to buy with money (or create slowly with help from a lumberjack/logging building). I guess it would turn out to be a bit of a mix of viva pinata and Realms of mayhem.

Well i was thinking that maybe there should be a change in scenery? Like in medieval Europe castles weren't just castles they had small villages around them so i was thinking that maybe you could make it that your rushing into the castle and your running past burning houses and crops and maybe some civilians running around, then the flames might be able to hurt you or something but i think that would be a cool add on as well as intelligent AI and bigger castle battles, i mean I'm talking about 120 on each side, and also not just ramps to get up there maybe you could have ladder teams and they could like run up to the walls (you would actually see them) and place there ladders then you would have to rush before the defenders on the wall try to knock them down, i personally think that would add some more realism to the game
:cool: :cool:

What about putting a gate house of some sort next to the castle gate?

During the siege you can then take control of the gate house and raise the gate for you'r forces to storm the castle.
Adding some villagers to be slaughtered will also be a nice touch.

There are plenty of things needed to be fixed with castles. Castle ai for one, castles also need to be fixed up. For example, if you walk behind culmar keep you can slip into the castle without using the ladder through a crack. Another annoying thing is the enemies in the tower. They can't leave the tower. The entrance on the ladder is way to narrow, so using infantry to fight is an absolute don't as they'll get stuck. This also may be a ai issue too.

Yes...the AI pathfinding can't navigate in any way other than in a straight line towards the enemy. That's why they'll always get stuck. In The reason troops so often get stuck at the top of the ladder in Culmarr is because they're trying to walk straight towards the enemy even though there is a wall in the way.

I totally agree that the AI is a bit dodgy and will need some work.

Adding a treasury, armory, warehouse etc. to the castles can add another dimension in castle sieges.
When attacking a castle you don't need to capture it. You can loot the treasury, take horses from the stable etc.

Adding different types of "castles" is also a good idea. In some areas you might only have a keep or fort and
in other areas (maybe the capitol) one BIG castle for large sieges.

Sh@de said:
I totally agree that the AI is a bit dodgy and will need some work.

Adding a treasury, armory, warehouse etc. to the castles can add another dimension in castle sieges.
When attacking a castle you don't need to capture it. You can loot the treasury, take horses from the stable etc.

Adding different types of "castles" is also a good idea. In some areas you might only have a keep or fort and
in other areas (maybe the capitol) one BIG castle for large sieges.

True, the thing i need the most is treasury, one chest in Zendar is definitely not enough.

Also, a wild idea i had is a different use for peasants. Maybe, instead of transforming them into fighting machines, we could put some in the castle so they produce flour, meat and other goods. But, that would require a whole manor with mills and farms.....maybe i jumped too far with that. Oh well, one can dream.....

The thing is, usually, even if there's 3 ladders, the AI just all try and climb through one. I know this via experience with Battle for Sicily capital sieges. Firstly, the gates should be damageable so AI don't try and walk through the walls. Secondly, there should be better AI.
The second one I think is the bigger problem.

Yeah, perhaps a battering ram?  Nah, I don't even like the sound of that, not when you are attacking a crappy castle filled with traitors, doesn't look right in my mind.

So, damageable doors, more ladders and smarter AI.  I think that would suit me just fine.

i think that the Holy War Mod has great potential for being great at this. But I think that you should be able to train you troops for free because its YOUR castle.

Back
Top Bottom