Wings 3d vs. Blender

Users who are viewing this thread

Crossbow Joe

Grandmaster Knight
I am just learning to mod and so far so good :smile: But now I am thinking of modelling. I have heard both wings 3d and blender as possible tools but which one is easier to use? Are they the same? One of my friends has used blender before so he can give me some tips but he has only ever made scenes with it (for another game). I am sorry if this question has already been asked, if it has just tell me.

Using openBRF.
First place the .dds in the Texture folder, then create a new BRF and import the .obj of your new model. Create a new texture in the texture tab, set its name to the one of you .dds, then create a new material and set the diffuse to whatever that texture's name was. Assign that material to your model, and voila, a textured model.

If you don't know how to create a .dds, google ".dds converter" or ".dds plugin for ___" either GIMP of PS, whichever you use.

(This was rushed, but sounds right)

Wings is easy to use and if you know what you want and what you are doing, it really doesnt matter. Knowing program very good, or better, is the key.
Make My Day said:
Ofc Wings is easier, but in blender you can create that or that thingz.
And yeah, blender is good, but you create extreme hingh poly meshes with wings also.

Of course Blender is more professional but it´s also a bit more difficult so as a beginner I would start wit Wings and when you see that youg et the hang of it go over to Blender...

SupaNinjaMan said:
Using openBRF.
First place the .dds in the Texture folder, then create a new BRF and import the .obj of your new model. Create a new texture in the texture tab, set its name to the one of you .dds, then create a new material and set the diffuse to whatever that texture's name was. Assign that material to your model, and voila, a textured model.

If you don't know how to create a .dds, google ".dds converter" or ".dds plugin for ___" either GIMP of PS, whichever you use.

(This was rushed, but sounds right)
I have read through this a thousand times and tried to follow but I can't. The fourth word stumps me, I don't have a .dds file nor do I know how to get one. I have a dds converter but nothing to convert. How do I make a dds file?

youhou said:
To get item ingame 1. Copy native and rename it

2. Add your texture in dds. format and put it in your Native(copy)/textures folder (you can use dds converter to convert it)

3. Download OpenBRF and create new brf. Import static mesh of your model there (has to be .obj file). Then import material (material is your texture)
                                  and cross add new texture box and press ok.

4. Look the mesh selection and write your materials name where it is requested. After this you should be able too see your model with texture.

5. If you now have normal maps or speculars import them and write their name in materials. Also add a shader (you can find xenoarghs tutorial about
                                  them)

6. Then save your brf and put it in you Native(copy)/Resources folder

7. Now you can start messing with itemkinds1.txt. Download Morgh's mod tool for easy way. Open your new module and go in to item editor. Find some
                                  existing model which stats would be near your new item and press add new item. Write your meshes name and press update. Then write to other
                                  selections your items name (check other items there so you know what you write and where). When you are ready press again add item and save
                                  changes. Create backup of your itemkinds. (If you want your kopis to be held in back put the carry_sword_back flag and remove the other same kind
                                  of flag like carry_sword_lefthip)

8. After that you only need to write this in module.ini and save it
                                              load_mod_resource = (your resources name)

9. If you can't see your item ingame check that you have writed everything right.

I haven't got any problems with the increasing item count in Warband, I quess you don't have to do it but I'm not sure about M&B.

This should help with your problem unless you haven't got a texture

I know exactly how to add items in game (basically my item is in game its just invisible) just not how to get my file into .dds format
Okay well I did get the texture part and so basically right now I don't want to do a proper texture just one that colours it so I can see it in game and get a feel for how the sword looks. Then I will go to the effort of coloring it. So I have my completely grey texture ready to add in .png format and when I run dds converter and select it and select that I want it to turn from a .png format to a .dds format i try to convert and it tells me it has failed. How do i get a .dds format, it seems hell bent on preventing me.

Back
Top Bottom