Will we ever see a Mount and Blade MMORPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

How do you even start out if you can't be an icon on the map!? In a city??! Then you have to wait until someone recruits you, forcing you to join a faction and striping of you of all game freedom. That's why the only part of this game that could be made into MMO is combat.

For all reasons i've previously mentioned, I'd rather see M&B as a casual multiplayer than a MMO, ust like diablo 2 (non-official servers): you can play it single-player and use the very same character while playing online. Anyway, it'd be great fun to play m&b with, say, 8 players maximum. There's definetly no MMO perspective for M&B.

Amagic said:
How do you even start out if you can't be an icon on the map!? In a city??! Then you have to wait until someone recruits you, forcing you to join a faction and striping of you of all game freedom. That's why the only part of this game that could be made into MMO is combat.

Granted, changes would have to be made. The design couldn't be ported as-is...I don't think anybody would claim that it could be. But it's a good base for a MMOG. It could be done, I think.

There could be activities for peasants to engage in while they're waiting to be recruited, for example. Or maybe they'd get assigned immediately to an army or something. In any case, yeah, the stripping of game freedom is part of the game. Like I said, you've got to earn your stripes. If you don't want to, you'll go play something else.

Fei Dao said:
MMO = Massively horrible idea.

Multiplayer combat could work, but there's no way M&B could be an MMORPG.

pfff....narrow minded, unimaginative guy you are :p

I think some people are confusing certain game designs with the title Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

It's all about a proper design to start with, learning from other games failures and successes..and think of something different

Sephran said:
pfff....narrow minded, unimaginative guy you are :p

I think some people are confusing certain game designs with the title Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

It's all about a proper design to start with, learning from other games failures and successes..and think of something different
Narrow minded?

Get your facts straight, dude. MMO means hundreds or even thousands of players playing together, how could that work on m&b?

Plus, you'd have to start a new game everytime you played it, because if you played with a guy that had the same fiefs than you, it just wouldn't work.

So honestly, it might go multiplayer, but NEVER will it go MMO. It's just not concievable.

I think people are right that M&B wouldn't work as like, a conventional MMORPG. It would be... awful to say the least if we had thousands of people packed into towns and such. M&B is cool because it isn't conventional though- I know it's too much to ask for realistically, but MMO done in a new way that suits M&B would rock.

Maybe, since M&B has no linear storyline (and I don't think it will at release?) the storyline could be played through a series of battles online over a period of months- like every couple of weeks an RP description is posted up, for the next few days the battle could be fought by players- whichever side comes out with the most wins or whatever counts as winning the battle in the storyline- and the next storyline advancement and battle reflects that.

I hope I'm making sense :smile: A pipedream, but a sweet one :smile:

EDIT: Well, you could show on the map to yourself- but not too others until you're in a party of a certain size?

pedrodiniz92 said:
Amagic said:
First, look at the map, and i have a question!

Where the hell do you put all the players?!?!?!??!?

The first letter of MMO is MASSIVE. With the ammount of castles/towns/villages, it's propably a really sucky thing fitting all the players. Think a bit will ya for **** sake
A possible answer would be to have some players as leaders, 'lords' and others as his party, represented by a single icon, but then again, who on earth will want to be led on M&B? We all wanna lead!

Wrong, gaining ranks is much more satisfying. Plus, leading loses it's fnarr fnarr to normal people at around day 2, good leaders normally always shine.

Multiplayer games with 1-4 characters wouldn't and shouldn't be THAT hard to make, even if u had just 1 person against you it would make the game so much better, you could see how other Humans play it, evolve, get better and thus make the game better and perhaps some meaning to the game.. (training so you could beat that someone who is uberly great in MnB)

Atmosk said:
Multiplayer games with 1-4 characters wouldn't and shouldn't be THAT hard to make, even if u had just 1 person against you it would make the game so much better, you could see how other Humans play it, evolve, get better and thus make the game better and perhaps some meaning to the game.. (training so you could beat that someone who is uberly great in MnB)

That's multiplayer over the intenet, establishing that can be a b***h. More like LAN would be easier but a lot of the game should be changed and they are not going to do it. Besides some people sugguest (including me) A LAN MOD!!!!!

Modders it's open season  :mrgreen:

Amagic said:
Atmosk said:

That's multiplayer over the intenet, establishing that can be a b***h. More like LAN would be easier but a lot of the game should be changed and they are not going to do it. Besides some people sugguest (including me) A LAN MOD!!!!!

Modders it's open season  :mrgreen:
It would indeed be hard to make all of it multiplayer (not MMO, which I reackon as impossible), but think of sales, all going like WEEEEEEEEEEEE!, rocketing to no end.

There's no set number, Sephran, but MMOs involve everyone playing on the same server. I mean, imagine what i'd be like. Everybody would have to be online while because it is simply not like the regular MMO game. In the regular game, you logout, everything that belongs to you disappear. But in m&b you have posessions - your fiefs - which play an important role in the game. And it would just suck if your fiefs were attacked while you weren't playing.

pedrodiniz92 said:
There's no set number, Sephran, but MMOs involve everyone playing on the same server. I mean, imagine what i'd be like. Everybody would have to be online while because it is simply not like the regular MMO game. In the regular game, you logout, everything that belongs to you disappear. But in m&b you have posessions - your fiefs - which play an important role in the game. And it would just suck if your fiefs were attacked while you weren't playing.

offcourse, but its the same as having a fief attacked while you were asleep, or campaigning in a foreign country.

Sephran said:
offcourse, but its the same as having a fief attacked while you were asleep, or campaigning in a foreign country.
Yeah, but at least in that case you are ingame. I'm talking about things like you being asleep in real life while getting attacked.

pedrodiniz92 said:
Sephran said:
Yeah, but at least in that case you are ingame. I'm talking about things like you being asleep in real life while getting attacked.

then its all improving the defences of your lands, the country ..and have allegiances with other lords..which could make your fief less susceptible to attack

I've been writing on this topic for a while but i still haven't stated my offical answer to the original question yet (Will we ever see a Mount and Blade MMORPG?). And the answer is:

NO!!!! Please no! I'm begging you! PLEASE NO!!! I'm on my knees while typing this!! I'm begging!

Back
Top Bottom