Why Power strike with Polearms?

Users who are viewing this thread

One hint: save "The Life of Alexinus The Great" book to the point where you don't want to invest any more points to the charisma / leadership, because it still gives the leadership point even if you can't put a skill point there. For example I only read it after I reached 18 charisma and 6 leadership, so now I have 18 cha and 7 leadership.  :smile: (Same goes to the weapon master book, the trading book, etc.)

I only need leadership because of the morale bonus it gives, not for the increased number of maximum troops... I could never have max. troops for long time anyway because of the high morale penalty.  :???:

25 renown = 1 extra unit
1000 renown = 40 extra units
4 companions can easily cover most of the skills there is
Artimenner is my healer/engineer
Baheshtur's my looter
Lezalit for training and tactics
Klethi for speed and spotting
and all I have is tracking and all the other stuff computers don't use

unconnected said:
If you're in open battle you shouldn't bother with worrying about anything on foot.  It really doesn't make sense.. On heavy charger with a lance or sword you'll be inflicting 10 times more damage than you will ever on foot.  I use the lance because of couched damage and the big speed bonus I get but the horse is really the most dangerous weapon you'll ever get.  Consider this:  when the battle first starts the enemy comes at you in a nice pretty line, I have the best heavy charger, insanely heavy armor and enough riding skill to gain speed.  I can charge through an entire line of 50 troops with my shield down 2-3 times before my horse is low on health.  I'm doing 5-20 points of damage to every enemy I run down just from charging and I'm hitting about 70% of them.  The first run I'll do a total of 300+ hp of damage, the second time through maybe 200+ and another 200+ on the 3rd run.  That's up to 700hp of dealt damage, there's simple nothing else in the game that can even come remotely close to dealing that amount of damage in that short of a time.  Plus when I finally send in my troops the enemy are soo weakened that they drop like flies reducing the amount of fatalities my troops suffer.

Agree with everything else you said.  And yeah running through the lines on a heavy charger is a nice way to get things started.  However, if your army is mostly infantry, you will do SO much damage if after running through the enemy lines on a charger once or twice, you go back to your line, dismount, and break out a great axe.  Just start up one flank and you'll literally get kills as fast as you can swing the axe (need decent athletics and PS, of course).  Not only does this help reduce casualties, but really, you would be killing at a MUCH higher rate than you could on horseback at this point.

Couched damage actually isn't so good.  The number is large but most of it is wasted, and in the time it takes for you to lower the lance again, you could have stabbed with it 3-4 times.  If your timing is good (hitting at optimal range) and your horse is going fast, those will usually be one-hit kills as well, which are easier to aim to boot. 

The other big advantage is your horse will take much less damage.  If you're trying to couch lance an enemy wielding, say, a 2h axe, you won't get hit, but your horse often will.  On the other hand, stabbing with a heavy lance is easy to time so that they die before they're in range to do the damage (as an aside, that's a very easy way to solo large groups of sea raiders for some easy starting xp and money - just need a hunter and a preferably heavy lance).

Another advantage is you can keep the shield up much more often, while with couching you're rather defenseless.

Really, couching is only good if you want to take out a rider coming at you with shield up and you're not at risk from any other enemy.  Even then it's still a bit of a gamble, they make an unexpected turn last second and you could wind up 1 shotted.  It's mostly useful in tournaments, where the jousting lance is just so awful at everything else.

Several notes about couching:
*It is really best for killing cavalry that you are charging against
*And its other purpose is to kill of few units that you want dead(overkill!)

As for lance+shield, it is the exact same deal as when you are using any other weapon. You raise your shield until you are almost riding into the unit and lower it to do the couching.

When going pure melee, is there any point in going for 30 str, making it 30-30 (str-agi) and then less into Cha? (When using bow too)

unconnected said:
DarkAnd said:
you need leadership for morale bost, it is impossoble to keep a 100+ army only whit renown whitout having to constalty win battles.

Heh, that's why you have to constantly be winning battles :smile:
whit 10 leadership I can stay resting in a castle forever as long as I have 1 kind of food.

darkweaver said:
unconnected said:
If you're in open battle you shouldn't bother with worrying about anything on foot.  It really doesn't make sense.. On heavy charger with a lance or sword you'll be inflicting 10 times more damage than you will ever on foot.  I use the lance because of couched damage and the big speed bonus I get but the horse is really the most dangerous weapon you'll ever get.  Consider this:  when the battle first starts the enemy comes at you in a nice pretty line, I have the best heavy charger, insanely heavy armor and enough riding skill to gain speed.  I can charge through an entire line of 50 troops with my shield down 2-3 times before my horse is low on health.  I'm doing 5-20 points of damage to every enemy I run down just from charging and I'm hitting about 70% of them.  The first run I'll do a total of 300+ hp of damage, the second time through maybe 200+ and another 200+ on the 3rd run.  That's up to 700hp of dealt damage, there's simple nothing else in the game that can even come remotely close to dealing that amount of damage in that short of a time.  Plus when I finally send in my troops the enemy are soo weakened that they drop like flies reducing the amount of fatalities my troops suffer.

Agree with everything else you said.  And yeah running through the lines on a heavy charger is a nice way to get things started.  However, if your army is mostly infantry, you will do SO much damage if after running through the enemy lines on a charger once or twice, you go back to your line, dismount, and break out a great axe.  Just start up one flank and you'll literally get kills as fast as you can swing the axe (need decent athletics and PS, of course).  Not only does this help reduce casualties, but really, you would be killing at a MUCH higher rate than you could on horseback at this point.

Couched damage actually isn't so good.  The number is large but most of it is wasted, and in the time it takes for you to lower the lance again, you could have stabbed with it 3-4 times.  If your timing is good (hitting at optimal range) and your horse is going fast, those will usually be one-hit kills as well, which are easier to aim to boot. 

The other big advantage is your horse will take much less damage.  If you're trying to couch lance an enemy wielding, say, a 2h axe, you won't get hit, but your horse often will.  On the other hand, stabbing with a heavy lance is easy to time so that they die before they're in range to do the damage (as an aside, that's a very easy way to solo large groups of sea raiders for some easy starting xp and money - just need a hunter and a preferably heavy lance).

Another advantage is you can keep the shield up much more often, while with couching you're rather defenseless.

Really, couching is only good if you want to take out a rider coming at you with shield up and you're not at risk from any other enemy.  Even then it's still a bit of a gamble, they make an unexpected turn last second and you could wind up 1 shotted.  It's mostly useful in tournaments, where the jousting lance is just so awful at everything else.

Great points I had never even considered that to be honest and now I'm just too high up to be able to put the points in those areas, plus my damned armor is so wickedly heavy that I move around like the State-Puff marshmallow man :smile:  However another thing I failed to mention is how crucial being on horseback is to break up the enemy in the 2nd and 3rd waves.  I'm usually fighting battles with at the very least 2:1 odds against me so the first wave goes down quick enough because I can widdle em away with my charge but then comes the second and third and they dont' line up so nice and pretty for me.  What I end up doing is having my horsies plant on a hill and I'll go down and break up the troops so that usually 40-65% of them will get distracted by me and the rest will run up after my horses.  At that point I get them to charge while dancing around the main force taking out one or two soldiers here or that.  My calvalry cleans up the smaller group and then they go from charge mode to follow mode and we cut through the main force which is now 1/2 the size.  Do that for a bit and then get the to stick on my butt as we go and drive a wedge through the 3rd wave of 20-30 troops that just spawned, leaving the survivors of the second wave to vainly chase after us on food. 

Definitely need that mobility to keep everything organized, but I'll freely admit that I can see the thrill and fun of just hewing down troops with an axe like that while screaming KROM!!!    RRAWWWWRRRR!!!

Back
Top Bottom