What do you think about throwing axes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jansuk

Recruit
Do you find them efficient enough to use them?

I just realized that i haven't really use them after couple tries

Depends on your playstyle, but in general, I think most of us go with bow + any other weapon, mostly glaives and lances, to keep us at a distance when playing on realistic.
They are very strong, though, but limited ammo makes archers more effective in the long run.

I don't use them, no.

They kill peasants/lightly armored troops pretty well, usually more ammo than javelins (depends on the specific unit/perks in MP) . They're ok at those jobs, javelins are much more deadly to armored units, can 1 shot kill. With throwing axes you'll probably do 20-50 damage on a bodyshot, and likely kill on headshot like other ranged weapons. I prefer javelins, they kill almost every time, and if you are throwing them into charging infantry they will kill due to speed bonus.

The reason they were used in real life isn't present in Bannerlord, which is that they bounce around and off the ground when they don't land head first in a shield or person and thus wreak havoc when thrown into a defensive formation or a charging enemy force, unlike javelins which stop or skid away from where they hit first. Pila would force you to drop the shield due to the long tapered heads which bend after piercing the shield (if not just killing you at this point) and cause your shield to be staked to the ground by the heavy shaft of the weapon.

EDIT: Pretty much anything else is more efficient for ranged weapons. Daggers < Axes < Javelins < Crossbow < Bow (which undoubtedly reigns supreme on horse and foot)

Throwing axes do better damage but have less range to them. Javelins have higher accuracy and range but lower damage.

It would be nice to see throwing axes have a large bonus vs shields to differentiate them from other throwing and ranged weapons a bit more. Like, say, 1-3 axes hitting a shield would break it. According to the wiki on Franciscas they were historically used to break shields: "Procopius makes it clear that the Franks threw their axes immediately before hand-to-hand combat with the purpose of breaking shields and disrupting the enemy line while possibly wounding or killing an enemy warrior."

If what you say about pila is true Hndzm, then maybe having one stuck in your shield could reduce the speed attribute of the shield, making it slower to raise. That might cause someone to have to decide between potentially dropping the shield or risk getting hit from being slower to block. Not sure how feasible it is to program something like that though.

If what you say about pila is true Hndzm, then maybe having one stuck in your shield could reduce the speed attribute of the shield, making it slower to raise. That might cause someone to have to decide between potentially dropping the shield or risk getting hit from being slower to block. Not sure how feasible it is to program something like that though.

I wouldn't suggest this exactly as a mechanic or anything, shield breaking would be good enough in my opinion.

Oh wow, interesting. Goes to show why they were so effective.

Yeah, shield breaking is pretty tough to do right now in general, and shields are OP. I remember in Viking Conquest javelins would absolutely shred shields, so having more ways to do that is always welcome.

Both Knives and Axes need a big buff. The +Quiver size perks working would be lovely as well. You should be able to equip like 25 knives on you and just chuck them fast as hell using both hands. As their dmg is pretty subpar. They should be the fast but low dmg opposite of Heavy Javelins and Throwing Axes should be the middle ground. (Slower than knives, faster than Javelins, higher dmg than knives, less than javelins)

Obviously the quiver sizes should be changed to compensate as well. (A lot more knives, a good amount of axes and a only a few javelins)

Last edited:
Both Knives and Axes need a big buff. The +Quiver size perks working would be lovely as well. You should be able to equip like 25 knives on you and just chuck them fast as hell using both hands. As their dmg is pretty subpar. They should be the fast but low dmg opposite of Heavy Javelins and Throwing Axes should be the middle ground. (Slower than knives, faster than Javelins, higher dmg than knives, less than javelins)

Obviously the quiver sizes should be changed to compensate as well. (A lot more knives, a good amount of axes and a only a few javelins)
Rather than a buff, I'd like to see the throwing knives re-classed as civilian. That would make them a lot more useful.

Piercing damage > cut damage
As it stands it feels like the intent was for throwing knives and axes to have a much higher ammo count based on their otherwise subpar stats and damage typing, I'll assume that when they get around to tweaking them this will occur. Otherwise, use javelins.

Yeah, the fact that there's not much reason to use anything other than the highest tier javelins you can get your hands on right now makes me think that they just haven't gotten around to developing and balancing them yet. That and the throwing perk tree has literally no choices in it.
Rather than a buff, I'd like to see the throwing knives re-classed as civilian. That would make them a lot more useful.
I agree, seems like a roguish thing to use.

I was thinking the same way. But i guess it doesn't make sense as javelins do fit better side by side so it's more logical to fit more in a bag. Probably they could add some type of aoe effect to the axes and knives to simulate them bouncing around. And maybe add some randomness to theme sticking in to the target or not. Like to have that aoe damage that could be only a fraction of the damage damage potential, only when the axe or knife doesn't go blade first and sticks in. So it could apply continous aoe damage all the way from the point of impact, in the air, until it reaches the ground. So lobbing them in the middle of an advancing shieldwall would deal a lot of damage.

Javelins are more effective as far I have seen. Throwing axes are decent though but I would not pick them over javelins.

Javelins are more effective as far I have seen. Throwing axes are decent though but I would not pick them over javelins.
I haven't tried throwing axes yet, I mean my javelins one shot everything no matter where I hit them. And that is with only a 132 skill and not the best javelins. They are good, just haven't seen the point in crafting better. I think 200 or so is low damage for me and over a 1,000 if I'm charging towards a cavalry unit that is also charging me.

Back
Top Bottom