MP Native Fantasy [WB] AI Commander mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Scarf Ace

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Brand spankin' new version

This is a simple mod designed around making a balanced and fun way to have bot battles in multiplayer.

Here's the rundown:
There are 3 player factions: First off there's the Eastern and the Western kingdoms. The west one is generally western European (or more like Swadian and Rhodok) in style, the eastern one is a mix of Scandinavian and eastern European.
The 3rd faction is the "Kawaii Shogunte", which is Japanese and pretty whack.
The idea is you play it with some friends (2-8 players recommended) in battle mode. Dedicated servers are NOT required. Just make sure you get the port forwarding right.
I also upped the max bot limit to 300 per side, which is laggy and somewhat unmanagable. 100-220 is recommended.

Anyway, to the factions:
The Western Kingdom:
Infantry:
Swordsmen - They're well armoured and carry a shield. In essence, they're fairly well protected but not very powerful in melee.
Spearmen - They're like the swordsmen, but with spears instead, essentially sacrificing power for reach and horse stopping.
Voulgiers - A melee unit with great range and damage, but lacking in the armour department. They're supposed to be deadlier than the other 2 in melee but easy to lose if you expose them to ranged attacks.
Ranged:
Crossbowmen - They shoot a bit slower than archers do but they make up for it in power and range (missile velocity, I made the bolts hella fast)
Cavalry:
Men at Arms - They're well armoured lancers. The idea of this unit is to charge in with their lances and then get out as quickly as possible. They can soak a few arrows in a charge, but in a prolonged melee they will get slaughtered. I've seen them do incredible damage, but they are incredibly vulnerable too. They also carry a single throwing axe as a sort of backup weapon. If you tell them to hold fire they'll use their lances only.
Light Cavalry - Essentially anti-cav-cav. They're meant to intercept enemy cavalry and engage them with javelins and 2 handers. They're lacking in the armour department and are therefore not too suitable as a skirmishing unit or as a charger.

The Eastern Kingdom:
Infantry:
Swordsmen - They're well armoured and carry a shield. In essence, they're fairly well protected but not very powerful in melee.
Spearmen - They're like the swordsmen, but with spears instead, essentially sacrificing power for reach and horse stopping.
Axemen - Very much like the voulgiers, but with long axes that make them more viking-like. Their armour and damage is a bit better, but they have less range.
Ranged:
Horse Archers - They're surprisingly useful when mounted, and they can be dismounted for use as regular archers. They count as archers, not cav, so you select them with the 2 key.
Skirmishers - Throwing spear wielding ranged units. They're very powerful but they run out of ammo quickly, and at that point they're just cannon fodder. They make a fantastic unit for an ambush behind a hill, for example.
Cavalry:
Lancers - Fast lancer cavalry. They're not as well armoured as well protected as their western counterparts, but they make up for it in sheer speed, which of course translates to a more powerful charge too. Again, hold fire makes them use lances exclusively.

KAWAII SHOGUNATE:
More of a joke faction than anything else. I haven't put much work into balancing them.

Tips:
Keep your men together. If a part of your army faces off against pretty much all of your opponent's army, you'll lose.
Don't waste ammo. Archers and crossbowmen often will shoot before their targets are in range.
Men at Arms and lancers have a single throwing axe each which are decent at killing enemy horses. If you do a charge, command them to hold fire, then they'll all use their lances.
Lance-wielding cavalry is fantastic for hit and run attacks. Their charges are devastating against units that don't have shields. However, they're weak as hell in a drawn out fight so they have to get out as quickly as they get in. A well timed cavalry charge can decide an infantry battle or annihilate ranged units.
Swordsmen and Spearmen aren't nearly as good in melee as the Voulgiers and Axemen. They do however wear better armour and they have shields.

Download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NCS9L0A1
http://www.mediafire.com/?2eeyg430sa5phym

apsod said:
I remember playing like this with 200 bots on each team. I like the idea of having more balanced bots.

Good work :smile:
Good to hear I'm not the only guy who did that :razz:

Anyway,
The mod's mainly intended to be played rather spontaneously like Battle Time.
Since I'm not sure if anyone will actually play this, I'm not sure if it's really worth really working on.
For those who think this mod is either totally stupid or an interesting idea, I added a poll :razz:

Thanks for posting on my thread! Would you like help set up this tactics tournament with me and Zero?
We are discussing whether or not we will use ur mod in our tournament entirely or if we'll switch between this and native.

sinofchaos said:
Thanks for posting on my thread! Would you like help set up this tactics tournament with me and Zero?
We are discussing whether or not we will use ur mod in our tournament entirely or if we'll switch between this and native.
The mod certainly needs some playtesting with multiple players, but if you think it's good enough, go ahead and use it!

Can you host servers? Despite forwarded ports, it doesn't work for me :sad:

Edit: Guys, I need suggestions for a unique, yet effective blue cavalry unit. The other 2 factions already have lances so I don't want even more of those.
Edit2: I solved it, they're now jav-cav, and they're a little better in prolonged fights than the others. Beta 2 coming right up!

How hard is it to come up with a mod like this for native (without balancing or improving the troop types?)  How hard is it to come up with a version of this for other mods like MM etc?

How many players can participate in MP, and how many bots can they command? Can you match the 220 limit of the 22nd servers, etc?

Im interested in setting up several bot servers that can do this with native and the better historical mods.

Massive bump.

I randomly decided to fool around and make a brand new version. It's a bit more sophisticated than the old versions, and with that I mean I used the module system :razz:

Back
Top Bottom