War of Rights : (Maryland Campaign, ACW) FUNDED

Users who are viewing this thread

Another update, this time it's a large engine update along side new weapons and units. The field report may be read here, I have posted the summary of changes below.

October 22nd - Update 20 -CRYENGINE V Upgrade (released)

General

EXPECT A LAGGY START OF THE NEW BUILD. IT IS DUE TO THE ENGINE RECOMPILING TEXTURES
    Upgraded to CRYENGINE V – for more in-depth information about its features, visit: https://www.cryengine.com/features
    Using free look in windowed mode no longer activates the cursor
    Starting to aim while stopping to sprint, no longer makes the character repeat entering the ready stance
    The server browser now displays the amount of players on each server
    Improved the 24 hour time of day cycle
    New cloud system
    Improved the cloth physics on the flags for better performance (experimental)
    Flag poles on the Drill Camp have better cloth simulation
    Nametags will now display the entire name
    Longer procedural vegetation draw distance
    Various map updates

Sound
        Footstep sounds on gravel
        Bullet impact sounds on water, wood, thin metal, thick metal, vegetation and glass

New Regiments

1st United States Sharpshooters
        42nd Pennsylvania
        12th South Carolina
        14th Brooklyn
        1st North Carolina Sharpshooters
        9th New York
        1st Virginia Battallion

New Weapons

Colt M1847 Walker
        Colt M1849 Pocket
        Colt M1851 Navy (New Model)
        Colt M1860 Army
        Whitworth rifle
        Sharps M1859 new model percussion rifle

New Animations

Salute
        Order Arms
        Parade Rest
        In place Rest
        Sharps rifle reload

Known issues

Clouds can flicker
        Sections of the ground sometimes loses its texture
        Quitting the server will cause the game to crash
        Server browser might be unreliable (not showing servers, to fix, restart game)
        Touch bending is currently not working (vegetation doesn't react to players)
        Expect a lot of new and interesting bugs introduced in this update as most systems have been affected by the engine upgrade
        Sharps rifle occlusion culling issue
        Old timey photographs currently not working
        Stutter a few seconds after joining the server (at the spawn screen) due to global illumination kicking in
        Broken textures for some of the camp equipment filler assets (due to equipment upgrades)
        Global illumination not kicking correctly in for Sycamore tree variants

A couple of smaller updates:

TrustyJam;49731 said:
New update released!

October 31st - Update 24 (released)

- Added inspection mode, an orbiting camera around the character of the player (press F4 to engage).
- Minor animation fixes.
- Minor material tweaks.
- Level tweaks.
- Fixed 3D voice chat.
- Added precahced shaders, eliminating most of the load issues for new users.

Known issues

- Inspection mode will not currently show weapon attachments such as bayonets or ramrods.
- Some ambient sounds are missing in inspection mode.

- Trusty

Fancy Sweetroll;50084 said:
New update released.

November 4th - Update 25 (released)

- First version of new Stamina System, including screen effects and stamina affects the aimsway.
- You can now see where other players are free looking.
- Updates to hair materials.
- Reloading while kneeled with a short rifle, works better.
- Improved shader for clouds.
- The smoke from gunshots should work more reliably and be more visible.

And a small reminder that our rowdy lot, the Lucky Dogs, have begun the transition into War of Rights as a the 8th VA Co.H. All are welcome to join us in this endeavour; especially if you enjoy light-RP and the such as we've always done. You do not need to own the game to join the company as of this moment, folk are free to sign up via the Company Tool and enlist their intents - just write me via PM first. Cheers!

Begone Unionist!
Alright alright, I fixed it up.  :eek: I'm gon' ignore yer bleating next time because it's just plain old ugly on the eyes with all these quotes.

Fresh update rolling on in!

Fancy Sweetroll;53180 said:
December 12th - Update 35 (released)

0u3jwIf.jpg

- Replaced the soldier icon with text that pops up each time you activate an action. Press T to temporarily activate the overview. An example of it can be seen above. It should also be much more reliable than the previous icon.
- Sometimes, players may have entered a state where they kept changing animations every frame which were very costly on the fps. This should no longer happen.
- When the player switched to the Inspector Camera or respawned and the camera faded to black, it would sometimes be the case that the camera wouldnt fade back in again. This is fixed.
- The backpacks for both sides have recieved some updates to their LODs.

Update time, and another substantial one.

Fancy Sweetroll;52836 said:
It's time for another update!

December 8th - Update 33 (released)

With this build, we've started compiling our own shaders for the game which in the near future will greatly reduce stuttering. With this build it may already be running more smoothly for some of you. For others it may run worse. You should also expect loading times to be a little longer with this build. But the more people we get to try the game with this build, the better the next build will be. This should make it so that if somebody spawns as a flag bearer or any other class, the game shouldnt stutter for x amount of seconds at all and in general improve the game experience.

- Freelook camera moves in a more realistic way in first person
- New playable units, 5th Virginia and 8th Ohio
- Extra variations to characters
- The camera will no longer tilt while turning when just moving at the Quicktime speed
- Reduced headbobbing a little while moving
- Muzzleloaders can now be dropped on the ground by pressing J and will make the player change to a new unarmed animation set (muzzleloaders can be picked up again by pressing F)
- Both the servers and the clients should have improved performance when there's 30+ players on at the same time

A few minor updates, although the latter is very intriguing. I've also added a short video of developer George Crecy advising and demonstrating a few maneuveurs with the 14th Brooklyn, skip to the five minute mark.

TrustyJam;50233 said:
November 6th - Update 27 (released)

- Added updated P53 Enfield Rifle model
- Tweaks to audio levels
- Character head & hand material tweaks
- Tweaked falloff distance of voice chat

- Trusty

Fancy Sweetroll;50315 said:
Just pushed another update.

November 7th - Update 28 (released)

- Made the smoke a little bit more blue to better represent real gun smoke.
- The gun smoke of the Remington revolver was being fired in the wrong direction.
- Fixed a bug where you could get into the ready stance while moving.
- The voice chat volume should adjust a little bit more realistically to distance.
- Fixed various potential crash bugs.

TrustyJam;50837 said:
New update released:

November 12th - Update 29 (released)

- Fixed a number of animations errors (more reliable kneel reloads & cleaner view when charging in melee mode)
- Gave all officers their swords back
- Smoothed out head movement when freelooking
- Updates to weapon physics (in preparation for Skirmishes)

- Trusty

Two questions:

What does the finished product of the game look like in terms of gameplay? Is it NW but with a lot more polish or will it have mechanics that regulate and impose rules on the actions of players? In essence, are they trying to create the most authentic look and feel possible or are they also looking for more arcadey gameplay (perhaps a different gamemode)?

What is the player count that they wish to achieve?

Tactically, small-scale engagements are pretty boring so I doubt that any decent depth to the game can be achieved without coming up with some arcadey mechanics or increasing the size of the battles. The reason why NW is still fairly popular seems to be because it has its arcadey melee combat.

They're going for a good blend of realism and enjoyable gameplay. Player count will be as high as they can make it.

Anythng else is unanswerable; the game is only in Alpha.

If your first sentence isn't a quote from them but your own opinion then you must surely know a decent bit about the game to be able to say that. I just want to know what makes you think that.

Judging by the latest patch notes it looks like they are mainly creating the framework for the game. You can't do that unless you even vaguely know what kind of a game it's going to be.

Evening Andrew.
David Dire has just about hit it on the head; the developers are aiming for a comfortable blend of realism and gameplay, for example reloading is currently attached to a single button but goes through the complete motion as per Hardee's Manual 1855. You are correct with the assumption that they are working on the framework, to me this speaks volumes as to the professionalism and focus that is driving forward the game. New 'mechanics' and shiny things come every now and then, however the current road of development has them creating a stable platform. They will not be rushed, it seems, into releasing the much anticipated 'Skirmish Update'.

If you want information in a more specific manner I would advise reading through the developer diaries and to also keep a watch on the forums.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
I know I shouldn't expect people to spoonfeed me out of my own lazyness, but for games where there is a decent bit of interaction with the developers on forums a lot of important information is sometimes shared in random posts in random threads. That's why the people that follow that development closely are usually the best to ask about the game as a whole.

I'll take a look at those diaries but I've a feeling that plenty of the information there might be wrong in some way. Kind of expected from games with on-going development.

CaptainAndrew said:
In essence, are they trying to create the most authentic look and feel possible or are they also looking for more arcadey gameplay (perhaps a different gamemode)?

Hello Andrew,
I am one of the developers of War of Rights :smile:

If you have a look at the current ingame features, like Leift already said, we are aiming to include nearly the entire Hardee Drill manual.

For example, you can move in 3 different speeds right now.
Quick time, double quick and charge.

Besides that, you can raise your rifle to right-shoulder shift, to get your soldier more comfortable while getting a lower stamina reduction on the move.
Also, the soldier is fixed in the first person mode, to get a better "I am the soldier" feeling.

Then, we have a bunch of emotes, like Order Arms, Parade Rest and more. This is to encourage roleplay and a good way to build realism.

As you can see, we are aiming for a military simulation (while keeping an enjoyable gameplay) and no arcade style in any way.

I also recommend you that video here, a developer session with our own Drill Instructor. You get a good feeling, that the game is ment to be very realistic and authentic :smile:

Thank you Hinkel.
From what I've seen on these forums, you seem quite interested in the ACW and have been for a while. That's definitely assuring to me.

As to the video, as much as I like the inclusion of all of the needed animations for the drill, there doesn't seem to be anything that would enforce doing the drill and having the correct cooperation between the players. Even in real life, soldiers would have followed those orders because they would face serious repercussions for disobeying the orders of an authority. Soldiers, following orders, is the backbone of any military force and that is what creates the need for ranks higher than, say, Corporal. If the Corporals can control the men under their command then multiple Corporals can work together under another commander. Any sort of miliatry organization and chain of command is possible because of everybody doing as they are told.

Creating some sort of a system to punish disobedience and/or reward obedience seems like the go-to way of doing it but there could be other ways as well.

The work you put in to create a more authentic and immersive feel for the individual player is great becuase that will be the thing that makes the battle fun for the majority. I definitely like that that you guys are working hard on that.

TrustyJam;54984 said:
January 28th - Update 38 (released)

- Upgraded to CRYENGINE 5.3 which should result in a more stable game. Full CRYENGINE 5.3 patchnotes at: http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SD...RYENGINE+5.3.0

- Updated revolvers: Colt 1847 Walker, 1849 Pocket, 1851 Navy & 1860 Army models and textures.

- Introduced a gameplay options tab containing FOV slider, mouse sensitivity & dynamic depth of field option.

- Updated the background of the menu with screenshots of the technical alpha (if you want a chance of having your screenshot featured in a future update, please make sure to submit your greatest screenshots over at: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...ots-amp-Videos ) as well as added two additional tracks to randomly be played.

- Began updating uniforms using a newly acquired cloth creation tool as well as adding a dirt layer on the various pieces of uniforms as they get updated (in an effort to get a more ragged/dirty looking rebel army). First updated uniform pieces are the shell jackets.

- Added dirty variants of trousers.

- Reverted drill camp map back to late summer edition.

- Added new bullet impact decals on wood surface types.

- Sound updates to soldier equipment when moving.

- Added alternative melee stance. When no bayonet is attached the soildier will use his weapon as a club while in melee mode (Placeholder sounds).

- Added new charge/sprint animations for normal mode & melee mode.

- Dynamic depth of field adapts faster now when changing focus (if still not agreeable to you, it can be disabled in the gameplay options menu section).

- Cloud movement made more realistic. Now, clouds will form and dissolve over time - this effect is most noticeable if you create a sped-up timelapse.

- Blurry terrain texture error fixed.

Known issues

- Expect new and exciting bugs as this update includes an engine upgrade. In order to report bugs, please visit: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/foru...ha-Bug-Reports . If you experience crashing we urge you to utilize our online error reporting tool at: https://warofrights.com/ErrorReporter

- Global illumination might bug out from time to time, causing shadowy squares/sections of the map that ought not to be in the shadow.

- Touch bending in use by certain vegetation objects (such as cornstalks) is currently not working.

- Terrain occlusion culling is currently not working as intended. It is leaving big, unrendered patches of the terrain when you move the camera at a fast rate.

- Trusty

Updates fresh off the press! Folk are working hard and direct towards the skirmish release.

Fancy Sweetroll;55215 said:
Another update is now available :smile:

February 1st - Update 40 (released)

- Fixed a glitch in the new melee mode with no bayonet attached where the player might hold the weapon behind his head.
- The kneel reload animations have been improved.
- New leg/feet animations for movement in meleemode.
- Added extra dirty trouser variants.
- Fixed an issue where the character might attempt to attach the wrong bayonet type onto the rifle.
- Written chat messages can now contain 196 characters instead of the previous 128 characters.
- Fixed a rare crash when starting to aim with the weapon.
- Possible fix for an issue where the fps could sometimes drop to about 20% of what you usually would get.

Known issues
- Joining a server may cause the game to crash. There is a good chance that if you try joining it enough times, you will eventually get in. We are currently working on a fix.

Fancy Sweetroll;55262 said:
Another update is now out.

February 3rd - Update 41 (released)

- First person reload while kneeled has been improved.
- Starting to aim immediately after a reload, now looks better.
- Starting to aim when entering/exiting melee mode looks better.
- Added ready stance idle animation.
- It is now possible to move around at the Ready stance. But if you do it for more than 1 second at a time, the character will automatically enter Shoulder Arms.
- When aiming while moving, the rifle will sway a little extra make it more difficult to aim.
- Added arms & weapon animations while freelooking.
- Vegetation has recieved a major improvement in terms of performance and you should see a raise between 2-10 fps depending on your hardware configuration, the direction you look and where you are.

MrMundy said:

The aperture in the noseband for housing the ramrod is far too narrow. It completely negates the advantage of having the flared band in the first place, which is to funnel the rammer down into place when loading and firing as fast as possible.

Back
Top Bottom