Voting Shouldn't Cost Influence

Users who are viewing this thread

So I have a couple fiefs now and am finally getting involved in the politics of the realm. Hurrah!

However I can't seem to... Do anything political. Not without costing a ton of influence anyway, which is a commodity that at my present pace takes a long time to accumulate.

Every time my faction takes a fief it is put to a vote on who gets it. 90% of the time my name isn't even on the listing which itself seems arbitrary and chance based. But when I do go to vote on who I think should get the fief? it costs 20 influence just to say who I think should get it. Why should it cost me influence to merely cast my vote? Voting alone should be a free action you can use to garner favor with other lords. Voting for them might make them more likely to vote for you in the future as a result, which would get the player involved in faction politics in a meaningful and immersive way.

Influence should be spent when convincing other people to vote the way you want them to vote. It shouldn't be spent just stating your opinion on who should get what fief.

Which brings me to another issue. When I said I have a couple fiefs I meant that literally. I have two. A castle and a city.

Why is this an issue? Because my faction, Battania, already controls 80% of the map. We've conquered all three empires, Sturgia, and most of Vlandia and the Aserai. The only nation that rivaled us where the Khuzaits and we just crushed them and took the lands they took from the empires.

So we rule almost the entire map and all the AI has seen fit to give me are two fiefs. There are other clans, some of which only joined up recently, with 5-6 fiefs each. This is incredibly disproportionate.

Which brings me back to influence. Instead of spending influence on casting our vote we should be able to spend it to have our names considered for who gets the fief currently being voted on. That way the player has more control over what lands they can potentially get. If a castle is up for grabs that I want I should be able to spend 50-100 influence to put my name in for contention and then spend more influence convincing lords to vote for me.

Also the two fiefs I've been given are on completely different sides of the continent which is just aggravating. I know we can spend influence to try and take a fief from another lord, but it'd be nice to be able to spend less influence and simply trade fiefs around so all a player's territory is in the same general vicinity. That way we can basically form our own counties where we can quickly and effectively respond to troubles in the lands we control like a proper feudal lord.

Similarly it'd be nice if we could turn down a fief we won the vote for but don't want in exchange for greater consideration over the next fief up for vote. I was hoping for land in Vlandia as it wasn't too terribly far from my current castle but they gave me a city on the border with the Khuzaits instead. We were at war with both nations and I did all my fighting on the Vlandian front for this reason but I guess the other lords decided to play a prank on me.

So I have a couple fiefs now and am finally getting involved in the politics of the realm. Hurrah!

However I can't seem to... Do anything political. Not without costing a ton of influence anyway, which is a commodity that at my present pace takes a long time to accumulate.

Every time my faction takes a fief it is put to a vote on who gets it. 90% of the time my name isn't even on the listing which itself seems arbitrary and chance based. But when I do go to vote on who I think should get the fief? it costs 20 influence just to say who I think should get it. Why should it cost me influence to merely cast my vote? Voting alone should be a free action you can use to garner favor with other lords. Voting for them might make them more likely to vote for you in the future as a result, which would get the player involved in faction politics in a meaningful and immersive way.

Influence should be spent when convincing other people to vote the way you want them to vote. It shouldn't be spent just stating your opinion on who should get what fief.

Which brings me to another issue. When I said I have a couple fiefs I meant that literally. I have two. A castle and a city.

Why is this an issue? Because my faction, Battania, already controls 80% of the map. We've conquered all three empires, Sturgia, and most of Vlandia and the Aserai. The only nation that rivaled us where the Khuzaits and we just crushed them and took the lands they took from the empires.

So we rule almost the entire map and all the AI has seen fit to give me are two fiefs. There are other clans, some of which only joined up recently, with 5-6 fiefs each. This is incredibly disproportionate.

Which brings me back to influence. Instead of spending influence on casting our vote we should be able to spend it to have our names considered for who gets the fief currently being voted on. That way the player has more control over what lands they can potentially get. If a castle is up for grabs that I want I should be able to spend 50-100 influence to put my name in for contention and then spend more influence convincing lords to vote for me.

Also the two fiefs I've been given are on completely different sides of the continent which is just aggravating. I know we can spend influence to try and take a fief from another lord, but it'd be nice to be able to spend less influence and simply trade fiefs around so all a player's territory is in the same general vicinity. That way we can basically form our own counties where we can quickly and effectively respond to troubles in the lands we control like a proper feudal lord.

Similarly it'd be nice if we could turn down a fief we won the vote for but don't want in exchange for greater consideration over the next fief up for vote. I was hoping for land in Vlandia as it wasn't too terribly far from my current castle but they gave me a city on the border with the Khuzaits instead. We were at war with both nations and I did all my fighting on the Vlandian front for this reason but I guess the other lords decided to play a prank on me.
Dang, I feel you my liege, +1

I'm the guy who says "it's not that, it's this." You gotta build up your influence and use it wisely. Also, it seems two fiefs is the limit for me.

Most of my suggestions just provide more ways to use influence wisely. I actually had accumulated a decent stockpile and was waiting to use it but the AI wouldn't add my name to the list of lords to vote for. I went through three wars without ever once seeing my name as an option to vote for at all, which means all the influence I had was useless.

Completely agree. They could keep it as an option, to really throw your weight behind someone and get *extra* relation bonuses as a result, but a standard vote should not cost anything. So far I was forced to abstain on every issue just so i could get a modicum of influence to actually use for myself. That can't be how this is supposed to work.

To be fair though, it seems like so far you do not actually loose reputation with anyone for abstaining, like the tooltip claims. Maybe they are already aware of the issue and have just more or less disabled the system for now

Great idea. I don't think turning down a fief should get you in a favored position for the next one though. If anything, it should make it harder to get one for a while, because you had your chance and turned it down.

Instead, there could be a way of investigating which lords are going to vote for whom (if that's not already in the game), and if it looks like you're the favorite for a fief you really don't want, you could then spend influence to get lords to vote for someone else.

Given you earn more influence for donating troops and prisonsers than actually winning battles and settlements the entire influence systems needs a ton of balancing and arguably clearer guides and tooltips actually telling you how to get influence.

A bit separate, but given 50 influence is really difficult to get through battle or deeds either the idea was getting it a lot easier or the numbers aren't balanced.

And I would argue you should get a far bigger spike in influence for singular accomplishments in battle (being a commander in some heroic battle only comes around every so often) vs. regular measures like donations of troops, prisoners and I'd argue you should be able to buy it with money, too.

I hope by the time I get there, they will fix it or there will be a mod to fix it.
The game is really amazing, but also too many times I find myself thinking: "man this is BS!".

You are aware you can “Abstain” from voting on the far right side of the screen and not use any influence, right?

Also, try to start a vote to enact the policy “council of commons” if you own a town. Really boosts your influence gain like crazy. I’m getting 30 a day from it.

You are aware you can “Abstain” from voting on the far right side of the screen and not use any influence, right?

The point was that you cannot vote without influence aka in most cases you are forced to abstain. Aka you are asked to vote, but actually you cannot and the vote is about stuff you cannot influence (e.g. who is on the ballot for that castle)

Also, try to start a vote to enact the policy “council of commons” if you own a town. Really boosts your influence gain like crazy. I’m getting 30 a day from it.

Yes, I am aware I can abstain. The problem is that abstaining is the only logical choice I can make for 99% of the votes that occur and that I was saving up my influence for a option the game never presented me. Abstaining isn't fun and after a certain point I mostly just checked to see if my name was on the list and if not ignore the vote entirely.

Allowing the player to vote for free won't change much since our one vote doesn't hold much weight but it can be a way to improve relations with other lords and even turn certain lords against you by always voting against them. Basically, it'd let the player have a political voice in the realm's politics that shapes their relations with different lords and therefore creates political intrigue while still allowing them to build up influence for the big political pushes like convincing people they should get a certain fief.

Fellas, if you're having trouble gaining influence, use whatever influence you have to propose and enact policies that increase your influence gain, such as Council of Commons.

Fellas, if you're having trouble gaining influence, use whatever influence you have to propose and enact policies that increase your influence gain, such as Council of Commons.

What if you're having influence problems and do not yet have land? King Caladog let me sit around as a vassal without a fief for two entire wars while giving other nobles (and mostly himself) every fief I conquered.

Back
Top Bottom