Vertex Painting Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Mandible

Grandmaster Knight
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about Vertex Painting on the forum yet, so I will post what I know here and hopefully some more knowledgeable people will lend their wisdom as well.

Quickly, vertex painting is a way to add some variation to your model without changing the actual texture. It can be especially useful for models that use tiling textures as it breaks up the repetition and monotony.

You can apply vertex color or shadow in modeling programs.

This is how it looks in Wings3d:

Vertex_Paint_Before.jpg
Vertex_Paint_After.jpg

Now unfortunately, .obj format does not save vertex color information. To do that, you will need .ply, and since Wings3d cannot export in .ply, we will need to look elsewhere.

MeshLab is a great tool to use, not only for this but for other things like mesh reduction for lod making, ambient occlusion, etc. I found its vertex painting system to be both sophisticated and simple to use.

MeshLab.jpg

Simply Import your obj mesh, click the paintbrush icon in the toolbar, and add your shading, coloring, whatever you want. The Opacity, brush size, hardness, color picker, and such gives you a lot of control over how you want your model to look. Once you're done, export as a .ply file and open it in openBRF.

Voila! Vertex Painting. Its not too hard, and it can make otherwise bland textures look a lot more interesting. You can also use vertex painting to allow multiple armors with different colors to use the same texture file.

Its really useful if you have a big tiling texture that uses the same uv map over and over again.

With vertex painting, you could take a boring brick wall textured with a tiling pattern:

bricks.jpg

Brickwall1.jpg

And you could apply some black color to some of the vertices to break up the repetitive pattern a bit.

Brickwall2.jpg

Or even change the color entirely so that its a brown wall.

Brickwall3.jpg

All this without editing the texture at all.

If you run into problems with your texture coordinates getting mixed up like this:
Vertex_Paint_Coords.jpg

Try Downloading the patched executable for OpenBRF. (Thank you Somebody, for pointing me in the right direction and Marco for making the fix!)

Huh... I was searching through the openBRF thread looking for something just like that because I saw that others were having the same problem. Ironic how the answer was directly below my last post in that thread... Thanks for helping me find it. It works perfectly now. Updating OP.

It is by no means a replacement to texturing. It just adds color or shade around certain vertices. So you can't really use it to make complex textures and it should be seen more as a supplement to an existing texture.

Its really useful if you have a big tiling texture that uses the same uv map over and over again.

For example, with vertex painting, you could take a boring brick wall textured with a tiling pattern:

bricks.jpg

Brickwall1.jpg

And you could apply some black color to some of the vertices to break up the repetitive pattern a bit.

Brickwall2.jpg

Or even change the color entirely so that its a brown wall.

Brickwall3.jpg

All this without editing the texture at all.

yeah but now openbrf is able to make it quite well with the ambient occlusion.
you can't add it where you want but you can make some cool shading for the interior.

A fine tutorial, didn't know such a thing existed, thanks to make me aware of this! :wink:
But I have a remark: on the brick wall you've shown are a couple of shadows. A problem
I see rising is that when you place such a wall in the sun ingame, the wall would look a bit weird
as there shouldn't be shadows on it when the sunrays reach its surface directly. So vertex painting
makes a plain texture with little variation more interesting but it also pays its cost realism-wise.
Am I correct on this?

Regards

If you increase the number of vertices, it should be fine as long as you don't overdo it. Right click on meshes in OpenBRF to calculate AO (you can adjust settings easily), and I should think the link to the patched executable is no longer necessary.

TheAsperge said:
Pays its cost realism-wise.

I provide an example of how to get it working properly, not necessarily how to get it looking awesome. 

You're right that the "shadows" won't behave dynamically and it certainly isn't perfect, but there neat things you can do with it.

I'll leave the executable just in case someone is using an older version of openBRF.

Back
Top Bottom