Vaseline Alley: Tales of Ownage

Users who are viewing this thread

I was fighting some 1200 sarleon army on the open field with my 280 soldiers. Everything was going smooth, as i had a line of 40 silvermist rangers on a hill, and they were slaughtering everyone stupid enough to get close. I went in with my spirited noldor horse for getting some kills on their archers and found myself chased by some-50ish knights of the lion. I was running in circles, mocking them. Then i hit a tree. And my silvermists went on like "CHAAARGE" and got themselves killed.

Me
132 troops - pure Pendor army , mostly cavalry and archers and a few heros

Them
freshly spawned Peasant revolt - ~1250 troops , various deserters ( Empire , sarleon , Fierds etc. ) and militia recruits ( half of the army ) and 2 hero adventurers leading them

Long story short : we killed almost 600 of them but in the end i lost my army , cash, some horses and lordly gloves :sad:

Damn you PoP team on fixing this "enter baggage to refill quiver " bug :razz: I could have won this :razz:

If you haven´t, you suck. Really. Those peons are easily bet up by a 130 army. You should have tried Pendor Men at Arms and Swordsmen instead of archers and cavalry and chopped yourself some meath with a great big 2h weapon.

LeFuretFurtif said:
LevonVeldspar said:
I just got a Bandit Attack! spawn of 7 Scorpion Assassins  :shock: I'm dead. I died.

Anyone ever beat those? (on full dmg)

I did several times. But it is too random and depends on initial spawn pattern and map. You can fight 2 (maybe 3) of them at once but no more than this so in most cases you'll be dead. Their sabers are slow but they have very high pro to compensate this, sabers are very long - very good for swarming.

LeFuretFurtif said:
LevonVeldspar said:
I just got a Bandit Attack! spawn of 7 Scorpion Assassins  :shock: I'm dead. I died.

Next to impossible unless you use a runed weapon (unless you edit your character go give 600 weapon proficiency or similar). Depends on where also. A village would be hardest, because you spawn in the open and they'll start throwing knives at you right away. It's in the open too so it's harder to draw them in one by one. Basically backpedal with a shield, wait for them to hit, than counter with a head slash (and hope your shield doesn't break before than). Also you'd need high athletics to be able to outrun them, or else they'll swarm on you.

Ya i usually get 6 of them to spawn right in my face and die before i can equip my shield. =/

in the end it will just make the day i beat them that much more epic.

noosers said:
If you haven´t, you suck. Really. Those peons are easily bet up by a 130 army. You should have tried Pendor Men at Arms and Swordsmen instead of archers and cavalry and chopped yourself some meath with a great big 2h weapon.

Couple of flaws in your plan "master tactician" :
1 . At 10 tactics and 125 battlesizer i had 10 soldiers while they had more than 100 ( at once on screen ) so there was simply not enough people to keep formation, unleash massive volleys of bolts to thin their ranks etc .
2. While you can lure some of the enemies around the battlefield , rest will simply swarm your army and kill them by the sheer numbers often pushing them back so when the initial guys are dead the rest keeps spawning right in the center of enemy formation .
3. Big 2h weapon - why ?? Every mook was Onehit ko'd  by my broadsword so why sacrifice speed for overkill in dmg ?
4. What i've needed was the wagon full of quivers ( and stronger computer that can handle a battlesizer 1000 or something :razz: ). I've died only coz some lucky recruit managed to hit me with his 2h axe after i got to close to enemy formation ( i have switched to lance and tried to couch and poke some bastards )

tl;dr Nec Hercules contra plures .

krone said:
LeFuretFurtif said:
LevonVeldspar said:

Next to impossible unless you use a runed weapon (unless you edit your character go give 600 weapon proficiency or similar). Depends on where also. A village would be hardest, because you spawn in the open and they'll start throwing knives at you right away. It's in the open too so it's harder to draw them in one by one. Basically backpedal with a shield, wait for them to hit, than counter with a head slash (and hope your shield doesn't break before than). Also you'd need high athletics to be able to outrun them, or else they'll swarm on you.

Or you can carry 3 shields like I do :smile:

Canaris said:
noosers said:

Couple of flaws in your plan "master tactician" :
1 . At 10 tactics and 125 battlesizer i had 10 soldiers while they had more than 100 ( at once on screen ) so there was simply not enough people to keep formation, unleash massive volleys of bolts to thin their ranks etc .
2. While you can lure some of the enemies around the battlefield , rest will simply swarm your army and kill them by the sheer numbers often pushing them back so when the initial guys are dead the rest keeps spawning right in the center of enemy formation .
3. Big 2h weapon - why ?? Every mook was Onehit ko'd  by my broadsword so why sacrifice speed for overkill in dmg ?
4. What i've needed was the wagon full of quivers ( and stronger computer that can handle a battlesizer 1000 or something :razz: ). I've died only coz some lucky recruit managed to hit me with his 2h axe after i got to close to enemy formation ( i have switched to lance and tried to couch and poke some bastards )

tl;dr Nec Hercules contra plures .
don't be a sissy. peasant army can even be soloed, no problems about it other than time. And I always take them out with my 20 companions alone. My battlesize is 200 so there is not that big difference. In the first round there are usually just me, lethaldiran, siggy and frederick and we do just fine against their huge waves. and two hander is good to keep them at distance.

Oh and my tale of ownage.
Maltise showed up. Giant army even for her: 900 or so snakes. loads of anacondas in it. So I assembled all my elite cavalry, hoping for some epic clash between two mounted parties. And an epic clash it was. I had more than 200 updated knights of dawn, 100 ish updated Griffons, about 50 falcons and Hero adventurers, my 20 compansies clad in best gear available and several dozen of other mish-mash cavalry, in total about 420-440 men. even on a battlesizer 260, it looked massive and epic. And the charge of dawns and griffons. It was beauty to behold. Then we were massacred. On every dead anaconda there was 2 or three knight dead. companions performed amazing: more than 3 dead for each fallen companion and Donovan even knocked maltise out in the first charge. I killed more than 15 anacondas & priestesses, but all to no avail. With our third and final reinforcements, we managed to wipe out the second wave of theirs and then, along with remaining anacondas and cobras, came that undead infantry, which you need to hack in two to kill. there was no possibilty to charge, my remaining cavalry was cornered and massacred to the last man. I do not raise surgery, so it was just alistairs's four points and with him knocked out, my losses were horrendous. Of total 420-440 men i had, only 117 survived, all of them wounded. We managed to kill all the priestesses and most of anacondas, about 300 men and healthy chunk of cobras as well. Then we ran in disgrace. And came back with gauntlets and silvermists. And we had our vengeance though I was forever disappointed in dawn knights.

So I guess the instant your surgery companion gets knocked out, his skills no longer have any effect? I was wondering whether this took effect after the battle, but I suppose not.

Have 2-3 backup surgery companions then :smile: And put your surgery companion as far down on your army list as you possibly can.

I have Ansen and Leslie both medicalmaxed, and left in their own private control group that I always order to the furthest corner of the map immediately as each battle begins. I don't think either one of them has ever received a point in anything but Int (I named their control group "Nerds" :wink:) so they go down hard up against anything above light infantry. I let them fight bandit spawns for a little XP bonus and its so cute when they bonk Brigands with their widdle hammers.

Just make your main guy the surgeon then have a surgeon companion. This allows you to reach a total of +13 for surgery which is +65% chance that the unit will be knocked out and not killed from a death blow. I don't know what the base chance is, but since even with 0 surgery units are knocked out still there has to be some % base.

That´s the way to cut your expenses. Must have been the hell of a relief on your treasury. Hopefully you did this just before payday for maximum effect.

(Which is the reason why mercenaries like Landsknechts had the right to demand payday right before a major battle).

Back
Top Bottom